AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-10, 08:42   Link #3641
magnuskn

Well, then let's make it clear: This is only disappointing to people who have binged so much on anime that they can clearly recognize some random scenes art similarity to a show most of us saw once twenty years ago.
Old 2018-06-10, 08:53   Link #3642
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, then let's make it clear: This is only disappointing to people who have binged so much on anime that they can clearly recognize some random scenes art similarity to a show most of us saw once twenty years ago.
I've seen Evangelion only once, and it was something like seven years ago. Guess I just have very good memory .

And anyway it's silly to blame people for comparing this to Evangelion when the show purposefully calls back to it. And it's not a coincidence. Heck, a lot of the staff comes from the same studio, and I think some actually worked on Evangelion back then. Just because you haven't watched it or don't remember it doesn't mean the same applies to the authors. Every anime creator will know it by heart, far better than you or me, and that's why it's unlikely that all these references are random.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 09:04   Link #3643
magnuskn

Guess what I object to is some people behaving like a haughty anime princess, drills and oh-ho-ho-ho included, by behaving as if the show made a terrible blunder by including a plot twist which they and a few others can reference back to Eva and other shows by one particular studio. For most of us, who have no particular memory of that studio or some other shows, this was not predictable.
Old 2018-06-10, 09:58   Link #3644
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Guess what I object to is some people behaving like a haughty anime princess, drills and oh-ho-ho-ho included, by behaving as if the show made a terrible blunder by including a plot twist which they and a few others can reference back to Eva and other shows by one particular studio. For most of us, who have no particular memory of that studio or some other shows, this was not predictable.
First, entertainment does not exist in a vacuum. One work will always be compared to others. That's how humanity have been judging works of arts since ancient times unless it's something completely knew. Artists also made their works by looking back on previous works. That's how we get masterpieces like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars (1977), etc. If a movie or an anime re-plays a tired plot twist that's been done better before numerous times to the point where it has become a trope in itself, it's fair to criticize the feature for that particular part (not necessarily the entire product).

Also, don't blame those who criticize Franxx just because they have better memories for the shows it clearly references and imitates (and the makers of Franxx itself clearly remember). That's low. Just because you don't remember, you shouldn't badmouth (seriously, you label people as haughty princesses?) those who do. We didn't throw personal attacks at you or others who adore this anime, so why attack us? If anything, that attitude says a lot about people who love Franxx. Also, Franxx imitate more than just Eva and more than just works of Gainax or former Gainax members.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:15   Link #3645
magnuskn

Because I find it irritating that a few people come here to piss all over this weeks episode because they can make comparisons to shows decades old at this point and behave like their particular jadedness makes their opinion objectively true. What you call a "tired plot twist" isn't tired at all, except for a small subset of people like you.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:22   Link #3646
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Because I find it irritating that a few people come here to piss all over this weeks episode because they can make comparisons to shows decades old at this point and behave like their particular jadedness makes their opinion objectively true. What you call a "tired plot twist" isn't tired at all, except for a small subset of people like you.
That's your opinion though. So what you're saying is that you will badmouth and personally attack others who have different opinion from you? Wow. Just wow.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:25   Link #3647
magnuskn

What I will do is point out what I perceive to be the flaws in their arguments, and, yes, also that I find their (read: your, particularly) attitude highly irritating. Which is why I made the anime princess comparison, because that is what your attitude in this thread reminds me of.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:29   Link #3648
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ At least now we know which side will resort to personal attacks instead of discussing and arguing about the content of the show itself .

For example, you're arguing that the "we're the same as the enemy/came from the same root!"-twist is not tired when many anime shows have been using that same twist ever since Evangelion. Let's see your objective argument for that. Preferably without the personal insult, please.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:33   Link #3649
magnuskn

If this is the only thing you want to take out of this conversation, be my guest. Maybe instead of you could think a bit how normal anime viewers would perceive the show and its plot twists, instead of only viewing it through your personal "old anime guard" lenses?

And the trope is just that, a standard storytelling device. That doesn't make it tired, but just a building block for stories, like there are thousands of others, all having been used for millenia now. There is nothing particularly “anime“ about it.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:36   Link #3650
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

someone compared the Magma-thing to Code Geass's Sakuradite.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 10:38   Link #3651
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
If this is the only thing you want to take out of this conversation, be my guest. Maybe instead of you could think a bit how normal anime viewers would perceive the show and its plot twists, instead of only viewing it through your personal "old anime guard" lenses?
^ this place is called a forum, not an echo chamber. A forum is a place where people with different opinions gather and voice their impressions, positives or negatives, preferably in civilized manner and without name-calling. If you want an echo chamber where everyone is infatuated by Franxx, you might wanna try Reddit.

Quote:
And the trope is just that, a standard storytelling device. That doesn't make it tired, but just a building block for stories, like there are thousands of others, all having been used for millenia now. There is nothing particularly “anime“ about it.
Yes, standard. And standard can be tired and boring in a world of entertainment. Standard might be good for building your house, but standard is what many artists avoid in their works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
Maybe a better comparison would be Getter Ray or Vibranium? Basically a property so flexible that it can be used for almost everything.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:39   Link #3652
magnuskn

I'm not particularly infatuated with Franxx, either. The last show which could claim that was Re:Creators. I object to your haughty tone and your arguments about the show, however.
Old 2018-06-10, 10:50   Link #3653
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
Well, in that case I'd say "mysterious substance that magically does everything" is such a common trope it can hardly be retraced to anything specifically. You can as easily find it outside of anime too (for example, vibranium in the Marvel Universe).

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 10:52   Link #3654
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I object to your haughty tone and your arguments about the show, however.
^ You may take my comment however you want, but this thread's main topic is Franxx and we're here to discuss Franxx' content, not how irritating you viewed me as. So, you mind getting back on topic?
Old 2018-06-10, 11:01   Link #3655
magnuskn

Sure, but since your posts were relating to Franxx content and how derivative it was, I made my counter-arguments to that. Just to make clear that my posts were on topic.
Old 2018-06-10, 11:04   Link #3656
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Well, in that case I'd say "mysterious substance that magically does everything" is such a common trope it can hardly be retraced to anything specifically. You can as easily find it outside of anime too (for example, vibranium in the Marvel Universe).
In anime, we have Getter Ray and Photon Energy that goes back to the Go Nagai's era of Super Robot shows in the 70s. And yes, it's a common trope, but at least it's an important element of world-building.

The "we're the same as the enemy/came from the same root!"-twist, however, is an old and tired trope at this point in time. And a twist is not supposed to be old, tired, common, or standard. If a twist is standard then it's no longer a twist.
Old 2018-06-10, 11:17   Link #3657
charles883

Let's look at episode 19. APE shows up with unknown origin. Helps out humans to basically kill off population in secret. Each member of APE has weird badges on them. Any of this add up to hint at aliens? Yes actually, so it makes sense.
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 11:20   Link #3658
James Rye

First time doing it and they already left a mark for the future, nice one, Kokoro and Mitsuru. xD
VIRM? Really? Alien Invaders? What? Where there any hints on that in previous episodes I missed?
Old 2018-06-10, 11:25   Link #3659
Blueknight78

while making comparations itself is not that a big deal, the problem is how it is used, and in this case to "trash talk the anime like is a sin, use a "already used troop, while i can understand the anger i don't keep using it as "look i hate that because my awesome anime had that and any other anime or "this" anime doing that is a insult or it's terrible because my anime did that, it's a big problem this is not "how you make a "constructuve" criticism, is just peoples being "peoples" (crap/haters).

Many of the comparations make here and in others places are basically that sort of problem instead of sound like a real criticism just look like a excuse for peoples whining and bitch about the anime because this is the "only fun thing" in this anime which is whining and criticizing and the only reason they are watching.
Old 2018-06-10, 11:31   Link #3660
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post
Let's look at episode 19. APE shows up with unknown origin. Helps out humans to basically kill off population in secret. Each member of APE has weird badges on them. Any of this add up to hint at aliens? Yes actually, so it makes sense.
No, not really. There are plenty of fictional dark organizations out there that tried to kill off large numbers of humanity for their own benefit. Many of them also wear (really) weird things or act weird, but they don't turn out to be aliens. Here's some examples:
  • Shocker and most of the secret organizations in Kamen Rider franchise
  • SEELE from Evangelion (and their imitators)
  • League of Shadows from Nolan's Batman movies
  • Drax Industries/Organization from James Bond franchise
  • etc.
None of them are aliens.