AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-10-09, 19:36   Link #1
t1no

Codec/Player for Mac

I just bought a macpro laptop and i am have trouble finding a codec and player to go along with it. I tried the cccp but i don't think it's working.
Anyone have any suggestions on this matter?
Thanks,
Old 2009-10-09, 19:40   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Use MPlayer OS X Extended or Perian to play these files. CCCP does NOT work since it's only for Windows.

MPlayer OS X Extended will handle most of the fansubs better since it have better support for ASS/SSA subtitles.
Old 2009-10-29, 10:11   Link #3
yura`

Sorry if this is a noob question, but is it necessary for me to download the Binary Codec Package? MPlayer OS X Extended is working well for me after installing it, so I'm not too sure if the package is needed or not.
Old 2009-10-29, 12:16   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yura` View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question, but is it necessary for me to download the Binary Codec Package? MPlayer OS X Extended is working well for me after installing it, so I'm not too sure if the package is needed or not.
Binary Codec Package is not a required package and only needed if you need to play WMV9, RealVideo 10 and Quicktime videos. Most fansubs won't come on this format and usually come in H264 or xViD format.
Old 2009-10-30, 00:40   Link #5
yura`

Alright! Thanks so much!
Old 2009-10-30, 02:57   Link #6
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
Don't use Perian or kittens will die. Seriously Perian support for styled subs is incredibly bad, moreover their support for .mkv is fail (this second problem is Apple's fault tho). MPlayer OSX Extended is good enough unless you are watching some release that uses a lot of advanced features of styled subtitles (i.e.: qIIq's bakemonogatari, or anything with a lot of signs)
Old 2009-10-30, 10:10   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
Don't use Perian or kittens will die. Seriously Perian support for styled subs is incredibly bad, moreover their support for .mkv is fail (this second problem is Apple's fault tho). MPlayer OSX Extended is good enough unless you are watching some release that uses a lot of advanced features of styled subtitles (i.e.: qIIq's bakemonogatari, or anything with a lot of signs)
Perian is not that bad since I have been using it for awhile before using mplayer. The problem is that MKV taking longer to load (but with 24 min episodes, this only takes 10-20 secs to load) is a limitation of Quicktime 7 since Quicktime expects to know the whole playback time. Sure it doesn't have full support for ASS subtiles, but I have used it and it was sufficient enough.

Stop spreading unnecessary FUD... Perian is fine, but it have some drawbacks...
Old 2009-10-30, 17:26   Link #8
pigoz
YUKI.N>

It is sufficient only if you watch old speedsubs; stuff using blurs doesn't work, not to mention fansubs where there is any elaborate form of sign typesetting.
Old 2009-11-01, 06:28   Link #9
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Binary Codec Package is not a required package and only needed if you need to play WMV9, RealVideo 10 and Quicktime videos. Most fansubs won't come on this format and usually come in H264 or xViD format.
mplayer will play all of those formats just fine natively; you don't need the pack.
Old 2009-11-03, 19:24   Link #10
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
It is sufficient only if you watch old speedsubs; stuff using blurs doesn't work, not to mention fansubs where there is any elaborate form of sign typesetting.
Nobody notices missing blurs if they don't already know about them. I plan to add shapes/verticality/frx/fry/maybe even blur in the next major version, after I figure out if CoreText is usable or not. Or maybe this week.
Old 2009-11-03, 21:39   Link #11
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Still playing the "Perian is so bad" FUD again, are we? Sure it doesn't have the special effects, but it still works... Most people aren't going to notice it or will even care (also, most karaoke are hardsubbed to the video most of the time, so this isn't a big issue).

Also, Perian does support subtitles that is not completely straight... meaning subtitles on angles will work...
Old 2009-11-04, 05:46   Link #12
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Still playing the "Perian is so bad" FUD again, are we? Sure it doesn't have the special effects, but it still works... Most people aren't going to notice it or will even care (also, most karaoke are hardsubbed to the video most of the time, so this isn't a big issue).

Also, Perian does support subtitles that is not completely straight... meaning subtitles on angles will work...
I'm just saying that Perian would not be my first choice for watching softsubbed anime, as Windows is not my first choice as an operating system.

And since you say I spread FUD, and that the the end user will not notice the difference: libass, perian. You are just trying to make my opinion look totally biased, which is not. I'm just expressing my opinion based on facts and features; that said, anyone can use anything they like (I really don't care what other people use).
Old 2009-11-04, 11:38   Link #13
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

That must be an issue with BorderStyle 3. Your mplayer might not even support that one, in which case it just doesn't draw the box border at all - that's usually not very noticable.

What file is this?
Old 2009-11-04, 16:10   Link #14
pigoz
YUKI.N>

It is a vector that is used to make a fake background to "erase" the japanese writing. Without the subs it looks like this.
The file is Bakemonogatari episode 1 by qIIq-THORA.
Old 2009-11-07, 02:20   Link #15
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

It needs \clip, looks like. (why it uses \clip and a box instead of just drawing it, I don't know…)

…and they've stripped the x264 settings, which doesn't make me want to handle their files any better.

Last edited by Mr VacBob; 2009-11-07 at 02:56.
Old 2009-11-08, 16:18   Link #16
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr VacBob View Post
It needs \clip, looks like. (why it uses \clip and a box instead of just drawing it, I don't know…)

…and they've stripped the x264 settings, which doesn't make me want to handle their files any better.
Here's their approximate commandline anyways:

--trellis 2 --deblock -3:-3 --subme 10 --ref 4 --level 4.1 --b-pyramid --no-mbtree --partitions all --b-adapt 2
Old 2009-12-06, 13:06   Link #17
Lady Scaper

Hello, I am a noob and I am using an imac. I am looking for a way to get Quicktime to play OGM files. I have used perian and I have never noticed things like what is in Bakemonogatari (I actually saw that episode). I would prefer not downloading a new player since I don't want to clutter up my computer and I have limited space.

I have tried Xiph QT components but it can only get the audio to work, not the video and I have tried several times restarting the computer.
Old 2009-12-06, 14:46   Link #18
pigoz
YUKI.N>

AFAIK XiphQT doesn't support OGM (link1, link2), neither does Perian (link). From what I read it is not even a standard.

The easiest way would be playing your files with mplayer or vlc, but since you said you don't want additional players I guess remuxing your files to a different, standard, container should be the only solution. I would try using mkvmerge to change the files to a .mkv container.
Old 2010-05-08, 14:46   Link #19
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I have a question, does the MPlayer also support .avi file formats to be played back on macs. I went to their site to check what formats it supports and I didn't see it. I currently have VLC downloaded, but for some reason .mkv is still a problem to get to work. Because you can't jump from one scene to another without it finally just crashing out. Is there something else I can add for a smoother transition?

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2010-05-08, 15:33   Link #20
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Yes, MPlayer supports .avi too.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read