AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-15, 00:28   Link #101
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
P.S.: AuraTwilight are you the same person from Dothackers?
Yes, I am.
Old 2012-02-15, 03:43   Link #102
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
The extra doesn't have memory of being the extra. For all intent and purpose, they are exactly like any other student in the class for that year. And given that this episode clearly showed us that the selection of the "ignored" student happens after the start of the schoolyear, there is no more reason to think that the people responsible for the countermeasures aren't the extra.

If anything, there is overwhelming evidence that suggests that Izumi is the extra. But its probably another red herring considering just how accurate the level of detail provided was. The show is beating around the bush with everything else but then gives us concrete evidence that one of the deceased in '96 is directly related to Izumi. Granted it wasn't exactly highlighted but it was still provided far too easily imho.
Yeah but the extra didn't exist yet at the start of the year, which is why they could still talk freely. Remember, Mei only started being ignored from the beginning of Mei. If the hot countermeasures girl was there from day 1, before the extra appeared, how can she have come up with such extensive plans if she didn't exist to make them?

Unless

1) Someone else made those plans, but when she appeared, she took their role, and everyone's memories were altered accordingly.
2) She (and thus the extra) was in fact, already there, occupying Sakakibara's seat and thus going unnoticed.

(1) is highly unlikely, but not impossible, I suppose. (2) however, causes a few discrepancies because, wasn't Mei already being ignored (so the extra already existed) before Sakakibara even arrived?
Old 2012-02-15, 08:02   Link #103
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Yeah but the extra didn't exist yet at the start of the year, which is why they could still talk freely.

You're not understanding his theory correctly,remember he said:

Quote:
Also, the extra was always there.
Let me try to explain again:While he was supposed to start at the end of april,the administration was aware of him coming weeks in advance (since unlike other animes would have you believe you can't transfer someone overnight).

So at the begining of the year the administration,knowing that Kouichi was coming did plan an extra desk for Kouichi that he'd take after his arrival.
However they forgot to tell this to the students who had no idea there was supposed to be an extra desk for someone that would come later.

So here comes the start of the year,the administation has arranged for an extra desk,Kouichi isn't there yet but the desk where he's supposed to be is.
Yet at the entrance ceremony students don't go "hey there's an extra desk" but think the number is perfect,because someone just took Kouichi's spot:the extra.

So the extra has been there since the start of the schoolyear,nobody noticed because he took Kouichi's seat.There was no death in april because while the extra was there,since Kouichi wasn't it balanced things out.

----------

So that's the theory,the way I understand it.
I have a couple of problems with it:
-We actualy have no idea if Kouichi's transfer was planned that long in advance
-If the administration forgot to tell the student,I would expect the students to say so explicitly and be mad at them for making such a mistake,we havn't seen anything like that.
Old 2012-02-15, 08:21   Link #104
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Not sure if it was long in advanced, but he was delayed by lung problems so admin knew about his transfer before the students and teacher of 3-3 did.

If I were in 3-3, I would be mad if they transferred anybody in mid year...
Old 2012-02-15, 09:14   Link #105
Forsaken_Infinity

No no no. You guys are understanding the show itself wrong, not me. It's not my theory. It's a fact as established by the show.

The extra doesn't get added after the seats are outnumbered by the students - he gets added at the start of the schoolyear. That the number of the seats and the number of students don't add up is an indication that there is an extra that year, and not the reason behind the extra being there. In other words, the extra is there from the start of the year in any year where the number of seats and the number of students don't match up. And they didn't match this year. They simply assumed they matched up but the transfer of Sakakibara threw the balance off.

It's not like the extra got added then. It's rather the case that the extra is either among all the rest of the students that were already there. Or Sakakibara is the extra.

How do we know this? Because the anime says so itself. If the numbers of seats matched up with the number of the rest of the students before Sakakibara transferred in - and the rest of the student remember that being the case before they selected Mei to play dead - then it's obvious that all the rest of the students have been there since the beginning of the schoolyear. And one of them is the extra if Sakakibara isn't. By definition.

As to why they could still talk freely, it's because they assumed they wouldn't have a problem that year and just talked away. They said it so themselves but when they realized that the number of students and the number of students is actually off thanks to a transfer, they had Mei play dead. They chose her mid-year - nobody decided on it before the schoolyear or anything as the show itself showed us. Besides, you can't acknowledge something as existing if you aren't already ignoring it. So they'd be safe talking with or about Mei before they had her play dead. Which only happened after their visit to Sakakibara.
Old 2012-02-15, 10:07   Link #106
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Am I understanding this situation correctly... after two episodes of explaining the way this supernatural disaster works, and being midway into the show, we are still debating about it? Because if this is the case, we are either idiots or the show is for whatever reason misleads us
Old 2012-02-15, 10:50   Link #107
Ikuko
The Madwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Am I understanding this situation correctly... after two episodes of explaining the way this supernatural disaster works, and being midway into the show, we are still debating about it? Because if this is the case, we are either idiots or the show is for whatever reason misleads us
Ever heard of Umineko? (by the way, it's kinda curious we have so many Seacats fans watching Another)

Quote:
The extra doesn't get added after the seats are outnumbered by the students - he gets added at the start of the schoolyear. That the number of the seats and the number of students don't add up is an indication that there is an extra that year, and not the reason behind the extra being there. In other words, the extra is there from the start of the year in any year where the number of seats and the number of students don't match up. And they didn't match this year. They simply assumed they matched up but the transfer of Sakakibara threw the balance off.
So Mei only started to be ignored when they found out Sakakibara was going to join them? (just confriming)
Old 2012-02-15, 11:27   Link #108
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuko View Post
So Mei only started to be ignored when they found out Sakakibara was going to join them? (just confriming)
This was never explicitly stated in those words, but to assume so isn't that far fetched and would make sense given the context.
Old 2012-02-15, 14:19   Link #109
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
The extra doesn't get added after the seats are outnumbered by the students - he gets added at the start of the schoolyear.
So for exemple if at the start of a year if the number of desks is right and a transfer student comes in september,there's a 0% chance that student would be the extra?
Old 2012-02-15, 15:45   Link #110
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
So for exemple if at the start of a year if the number of desks is right and a transfer student comes in september,there's a 0% chance that student would be the extra?
Depends on when the school was informed that he was transferring in probably.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:30   Link #111
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Seems so. Because even if the Phenomenon knows( let's personify it for easier description) it seems it can only use it's past victims as the Another. Meaning anyone who is from that town and related to Class3.
Old 2012-02-16, 03:34   Link #112
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Except if the transfer student was actually in class3 before.
Old 2012-02-16, 03:48   Link #113
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Except if the transfer student was actually in class3 before.
IF he was 18 months prior? Yes. He is a candidate if he dies in town.

If he got out of town alive and died before, the curse can't affect the said person. Meaning he isn't a candidate to be the Another.
Old 2012-02-16, 04:41   Link #114
sa547
*Author

Spoiler for About Akazawa...:
Old 2012-02-16, 04:44   Link #115
rakusukira

this is my theory:

Everything was already set up even before they became students of class 3-3 .. they knew this kind of phenomena would happen and that AUTOMATICALLY, an ANOTHER would be added to the roster so they planned to chose an ignoree for the entire year before their memories get all whacked up.. so they chose Mei.. that is why Mei is sure that "She is not dead" because they chose her even before the year started.

enter Koichi.. and the plan was all ruined. the number of students was off and the deaths started to happen. They couldn't tell Koichi to ignore Mei because that would mean acknowledging that Mei exists and their would be a break in the rules.
Old 2012-02-16, 05:35   Link #116
totoum
Me at work

In episode 5 we can see the full roster when Kouichi hands over his copy to Mei.
There's his name at the bottom.

So either he's the Another and his name has been put in there as part of the documents being altered.

Or he's not the Another and his transfer was known in advance (the roster is dated March 3rd) and they indeed forgot about him at the entrance ceremony.
Talk about a big mistake
Old 2012-02-16, 09:14   Link #117
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
this is my theory:

Everything was already set up even before they became students of class 3-3 .. they knew this kind of phenomena would happen and that AUTOMATICALLY, an ANOTHER would be added to the roster so they planned to chose an ignoree for the entire year before their memories get all whacked up.. so they chose Mei.. that is why Mei is sure that "She is not dead" because they chose her even before the year started.

enter Koichi.. and the plan was all ruined. the number of students was off and the deaths started to happen. They couldn't tell Koichi to ignore Mei because that would mean acknowledging that Mei exists and their would be a break in the rules.
Mei was selected a month after the new term started, so I think the Another wasn't taken into account until Mei's cousin died, and they learned about the transfer student.

Quote:
In episode 5 we can see the full roster when Kouichi hands over his copy to Mei.
There's his name at the bottom.

So either he's the Another and his name has been put in there as part of the documents being altered.

Or he's not the Another and his transfer was known in advance (the roster is dated March 3rd) and they indeed forgot about him at the entrance ceremony.
Talk about a big mistake
Considering the fact that they said that the principal is fairly new at his job and probably didn't believe in the curse, he may have thought that it wouldn't matter when he would announce the transfer and waited to spread the news until the school term was already underway. Kouichi being the dead one is possible, but at this point, I consider it highly unlikely.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:34   Link #118
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Mei was selected a month after the new term started, so I think the Another wasn't taken into account until Mei's cousin died
There are no signs of them taking the death of Mei's cousin into consideration.
To Izumi it started in May,not april.
The librarian also has his roster where he keeps track of deaths,in episode 6 you can see he's noted every death so far except for Mei's cousin.

Quote:
he would announce the transfer and waited to spread the news until the school term was already underway.
But again,they all received a copy of the roster with Kouichi's name on it on march 3rd,well before the term begun,so the administration did tell them about him at the start of the year.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:43   Link #119
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
No. He has the same probability as any other student.

It's a simple two case scenario:

Every year the number of students and the number of seats don't add up due to a late transfer, either,
Case 1 - The incoming transfer student is the extra, or,
Case 2 - The incoming transfer student isn't the extra. Thus there was already an extra among the rest of the students at the start of schoolyear.

The probability for any student, including the incoming transfer, being the extra is the same. And that would be 1 over the number of students in the class.

However, that also means that the probability that the incoming transfer would be the extra is very low compared to the probability that the extra was already in the class. But hey, 1 vs 29 isn't anywhere near a ridiculous bet. Gamblers win with much worse
Old 2012-02-16, 10:10   Link #120
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Case 1 - The incoming transfer student is the extra, or,
Case 2 - The incoming transfer student isn't the extra. Thus there was already an extra among the rest of the students at the start of schoolyear.
That part makes no sense to me

If the extra was there at the start of the year the class should be short a desk at the start of the year because the school wouldn't have planned a desk for the extra