Notices

Old 2016-03-08, 00:24   Link #7081
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Digital Release by Yen Press confirmed

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tit...316363907/?yen
Old 2016-03-08, 05:39   Link #7082
J4n1

and the description remains somewhere between misleading, and outright lie.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 07:20   Link #7083
Namorax

I would really like to know who we could thrown our complains at.

Of course, it is still possible that this isn't "our" Overlord, but a similar story that just happens to have the same name and was written by an author with the same name.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 07:57   Link #7084
Breimn

>description changed at least 3 times
>still wrong
This tells us their efforts.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 09:28   Link #7085
Crossthought

The description feels like sao
Crossthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 11:07   Link #7086
ChuckE
Provoker

What the hell with that description? Did they read the original novel at all?

It is one of the main plot lines in the story regarding existence or non-existence of other players in the new world and Ainz's desperate desire to find his old comrades.

It now feels like a typical transportation story when it's not.
Old 2016-03-08, 11:18   Link #7087
J4n1

Japanese salaryman who stayed logged into a virtual mmo beyonds its servers closing time finds himself transported to a new, yet familiar fantasy world, alongside with his guilds stronghold and npc servants.
This is the story of Momonga, his newly awakened npc companions and their attempts to find out WTF is going on (some world domination may be included).

instant better description from top of my head.
Old 2016-03-08, 16:57   Link #7088
Namorax

That depends on the definition of "better".

I guess they want to market the novel to a certain market, and that is why they phrase their description like that. Friendly, fluffy SAO-like story.

Nope, totally no brutal scenes here. No despair, death, or all the stuff that makes this a "dark fantasy" novel. Please give us your money nao...
Old 2016-03-09, 09:00   Link #7089
J4n1

Well, as far as i am concerned, the description of the book exists to tell me if i want to read the book or not.
Once i can no longer trust the description to give anykind of truthfull information, i might as well ignore them and not buy any books until i have had the change to read them elsewhere.
Old 2016-03-09, 11:47   Link #7090
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Well, as far as i am concerned, the description of the book exists to tell me if i want to read the book or not.
Once i can no longer trust the description to give anykind of truthfull information, i might as well ignore them and not buy any books until i have had the change to read them elsewhere.
Well they are trying to sell it as light hearted fantasy, while it is not
Old 2016-03-09, 16:15   Link #7091
Namorax

Quote:
That might be why they usually try to get rid of fantranslations^^
Old 2016-03-09, 16:19   Link #7092
dragonking9

Well at least they are trying to improve that awful description. They manage to change boy to man,but i wish they replace the sentence about Momonga leading the players into about his guild npc's gaining sentience and now being lead by him. And what loves for games and only brought him loneliness? He only play 1 game and most members left because of personal life problems while he stay behind hoping they would come back but he did share a lot of fun with them.The description made him sound so terrible.

And could they not say anything more epic instead saying a skeleton magic sorcerer.Something maybe like:the physical form he ended up with in this strange new world is his avatar that he play back in his game.A undead overlord that rule over all the undead.A powerful lich that has reach the peak of magic or something like that.
dragonking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 04:31   Link #7093
Namorax

I think the sentinent AI's shouldn't be mentioned. After all, they are a "surprise"...
Old 2016-03-10, 05:37   Link #7094
Breimn

Cant they just translate jap description?Do ln not have them ?
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 13:18   Link #7095
Namorax

Yen Press is working on a "western" market. What would sound awesome to japanese people who read LNs would would strange or uninteresting to us.

I don't think that whoever owns Yenpress is operating out of his mother's basement, if they can buy the printing- and distributionrights of Overlord so they can sell to westerners, they also (should) have emough money to hire translators who know what they are doing.
Since they went with... "that"... they either don't care, or really want to sell the series to a specific target audience. Even if said audience would never read Overlord if they knew what is going to happen.

Reading the description, I imagine someone going in with the expectation of reading a shounen like SAO, One Piece or Naruto... and then they discover it's nothing like that and can give them nightmares...
Old 2016-03-10, 14:43   Link #7096
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
Yen Press is working on a "western" market. What would sound awesome to japanese people who read LNs would would strange or uninteresting to us.

I don't think that whoever owns Yenpress is operating out of his mother's basement, if they can buy the printing- and distributionrights of Overlord so they can sell to westerners, they also (should) have emough money to hire translators who know what they are doing.
Since they went with... "that"... they either don't care, or really want to sell the series to a specific target audience. Even if said audience would never read Overlord if they knew what is going to happen.

Reading the description, I imagine someone going in with the expectation of reading a shounen like SAO, One Piece or Naruto... and then they discover it's nothing like that and can give them nightmares...
Problem with this is that it pretty much insults the target audience, and makes them less likely to buy anything from them, and definitely does not help selling Overlord Vol.2, unless they are absolutely sure that once they read it, they'll love it (which is possible, if unlikely).
Old 2016-03-10, 14:51   Link #7097
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

does Yen Press do any Con (comic/Anime/etc). If they do someone seriously need to ask who are their target customer base. Because it doesn't seem to be anyone who is currently already a fan of the series.
Old 2016-03-10, 15:55   Link #7098
BakaOnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
does Yen Press do any Con (comic/Anime/etc). If they do someone seriously need to ask who are their target customer base. Because it doesn't seem to be anyone who is currently already a fan of the series.
They do. After all, they announced the Overlord license during NY Comic Con. I would know because I was there when it happened.
BakaOnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 15:22   Link #7099
Namorax

Quote:
Problem with this is that it pretty much insults the target audience, and makes them less likely to buy anything from them, and definitely does not help selling Overlord Vol.2, unless they are absolutely sure that once they read it, they'll love it (which is possible, if unlikely).
I assume they simply want to sell enough volumes to cover the costs for buying the license and the printing.
After that, they release the next volume, rinse and repeat. If the customers don't buy, no worries on their part. After all, they already earned the invested money back...
Could explain their infamously glacial release speed.
Old 2016-03-12, 04:10   Link #7100
Jorna

Well what did we expect with people who just wants to get a few bucks and say their professionals. They're aren't doing this for the love and passion for franchise its for the money man I'd rather donate money to fan translation that give a damn about the series than them.
Jorna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination