AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-21, 03:29   Link #3321
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I did 35 episodes in a day and a half when i was catching up with the TV airing, so it could probably be done in two days.
Old 2010-10-21, 13:43   Link #3322
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah... mr. 3 days here. haha. 2 days is pushing it though.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 14:57   Link #3323
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

If I had not seen this recommended in the [Girl Power] thread, I likely would have never heard of it. With 2 days off I watched it till the end because I could not stop - it was that brilliant. Its very rare for a series to have this many episodes and keep me captivated to the very last episode. There were three things about Cross Game that earned my appreciation: featured two athletes as the romantic couple; balanced Ko's and Aoba's baseball inspirations fairly equally; and offered a very likable, mature, perceptive, loyal and relevant cast.

Although an athlete, I never looked into the sports genre; and the only romance to have a sports angle I ever watched was Lovely Complex. A lot of us athletes, whether male or female, are attracted to and seek relationships with other athletes. It goes without saying that I was very pleased to notice a series that catered to that type of relationship.

From reading the synopsis on ANN, I anticipated that Aoba's athleticism and inspirations would have been casually represented. On the contrary, not only did they give Aoba plenty of moments to showcase her unbelievable talents, but her involvement and influence with Ko was key to his interest in the sport and development as a pitcher. I was very delighted to see that they treated Aoba as a serious athlete.

There are very few casts who I end up truly liking. Thankfully, the roles given to each supporting character really allowed them to demonstrate their most admirable qualities. The boys not only showed strong support for one another on the baseball field, but also friendship off the field. For instance, even though Yuhei confessed to Aoba, he never pursued a relationship with her out of awareness of Ko's and Aoba's real feelings for each other. Similarly, Osamu did the same thing when he felt that Akane would favor being with Ko over him. The support that the other female players gave Aoba, and the bonds they made as friends and fellow athletes, was great to see as well. In general, most of the supporting cast were introduced and used so well that they seemed just as important to the story as Ko and Aoba - a rare treat in terms of character development.

Even though I'm not fond of romances that do not blossom until the final episode, I was happy with how things progressed between Ko and Aoba as it was believable. Afterall, liking two siblings is one thing, but how do you go about showing your feelings for one sibling after the other has died. Throughout most of the series, I believe this led to both Ko and Aoba not coming together out of respect for Wakaba. I suppose its up to one's interpretation as to when Aoba actually began having feelings for Ko. There are certainly a lot of scenes that could suggest several plausible time frames.

To wrap things up: Because I was so impressed with Cross Game, its been added to my all-time favorite list. I'm even ordering the box set and will consider showing this to my 9yr old niece and 8yr old nephew [both play sports and love baseball] as I think it would be appropriate enough for their age.

Last edited by Mairsile; 2010-10-21 at 15:08.
Mairsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 12:03   Link #3324
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You are now obligated to spread the Word of Kitamura Kou. OFF TO THE WILD BLUE YONDERS YE CONVERT!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 20:47   Link #3325
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've slowed down as I neared the end of my second viewing of this show - wanting to stretch it out for as long as possible, I suppose. I actually gave myself a two-week hiatus between 46 and 47 ("Is a Lie Alright?") Pretty damn funny, since that's exactly what happened live - maybe I subconsciously did it for that reason. Looking back on the posts now, I remember what torture those two weeks were after that brutal PV at the end of 46. But what a payoff - 47 was one of the most emotionally intense episodes of any series I've ever seen.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 17:57   Link #3326
GrimJack

Volume 1 finally showed up in my local store and I bought it today.

So far I am loving it just to hold it in my hand make me happy, I may not put it down for the rest of today

problems I had with the VIZ edition...

Spoiler for Volume one issues:

other than that a great read

Last edited by GrimJack; 2010-11-22 at 17:35.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 23:52   Link #3327
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I finished my re-airing tonight. Interestingly, it took about seven months - and that involved a lot of pacing on my part. I only rarely allowed myself the luxury of two or more episodes a week, and that mostly over the first 20 eps or so. I really wanted to make this last as long as I could - though I have no doubt I'll be watching the series again.

To my complete lack of surprise I loved it just as much the second time. In fact, I was surprised by how little my foreknowledge of future events changed my perception of the series - all the same moments hit me hard the second time around. No question, the best ep of the series? 47 - "Is a Lie Alright?" Not just the best ep of a great series, but one of the most emotionally-charged of any series I can recall. As for the ending, I still loved it - I think anything would have been a slight return to Earth after 47, but it was pretty close to just right - all the way down to the piano soundtrack and the way it was utilized. If a series I know like family can leave me feeling satisfied in knowing the finale is the last I'll see of it, that constitutes a great ending in my book.

If you haven't watched this series yet, please do so immediately!
Old 2010-12-20, 17:11   Link #3328
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I did 35 episodes in a day and a half when i was catching up with the TV airing, so it could probably be done in two days.
Dec 18, 2010 (Sat): Episodes 1 to 35; Dec 19 to 21: All the rest.

Roughly three days.

Spoiler for :
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 18:40   Link #3329
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Congrats and welcome to the cult.
Old 2010-12-20, 19:36   Link #3330
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Congrats and welcome to the cult.
Don't forget to get the Nomo tattoo on the way out.

And wow, 35 episodes in one day. And I thought my watching Maison Ikkoku in a week was impressive.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 00:56   Link #3331
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

They gave out Nomo tatoos? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?

My rewatch starts January 1.
Old 2010-12-21, 03:15   Link #3332
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
And wow, 35 episodes in one day. And I thought my watching Maison Ikkoku in a week was impressive.
That is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
My rewatch starts January 1.
Interesting. Do you guys fancy doing a weekly rewatch together?
Old 2010-12-21, 10:36   Link #3333
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh God, another one for me not to keep up...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:39   Link #3334
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I just finished my re-watch and I'm not quite ready to commit the time to another one. But i'll certainly comment...
Old 2010-12-21, 11:06   Link #3335
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh God, another one for me not to keep up...
We can start much later then.
Old 2010-12-21, 11:07   Link #3336
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah. I'm sort of committed to a Toradora rewatch this January.
Old 2010-12-31, 01:57   Link #3337
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just when I was prepping my rewatch for tomorrow, Animesukie awards cometh.

Can we count on everyone's support?
Old 2010-12-31, 03:39   Link #3338
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Obviously! Vote early and often, as we used to say in Chicago.
Old 2011-01-01, 05:09   Link #3339
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have to say I'm amazed at the sheer amount of votes Cross Game is getting.

It... it brings a tear to my eye.
Old 2011-01-01, 05:15   Link #3340
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Have you started your rewatch Meo? & are you doing an episode a week formula? I might just join you.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports