AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 67 46.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 34.72%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.39%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-17, 00:18   Link #41
Pakxenon
popcorn

What an episode. The second half blew me away and could make me break into manly tears, but alas, there is one slight problem I have with all of this: Ayu's "school". I hate it when she uses that word. I've been hating it since the beginning. The context in which it is used feels very awkward because of Ayu's situation: lonely, finding a certain item, and being just plain childish (like a grade-schooler). I could have enjoyed this more if the script were rewritten to have a more believable reason instead of the "school" Ayu attends.

And great humor! Even this late into the series, it never lets up! 9/10.
Old 2007-02-17, 01:17   Link #42
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
What an episode. The second half blew me away and could make me break into manly tears, but alas, there is one slight problem I have with all of this: Ayu's "school". I hate it when she uses that word. I've been hating it since the beginning. The context in which it is used feels very awkward because of Ayu's situation: lonely, finding a certain item, and being just plain childish (like a grade-schooler). I could have enjoyed this more if the script were rewritten to have a more believable reason instead of the "school" Ayu attends.
Actually the school
Spoiler for episode 20:
is a very integral part of the plot.
Spoiler:
So, I can't really see what's wrong with her talking about her school.
Old 2007-02-17, 01:37   Link #43
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

I would like to give this episode an 11. Not much more to say other than that. Watch it for yourself. Again and again.
Old 2007-02-17, 02:00   Link #44
Pakxenon
popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Actually the school
Spoiler for episode 20:
is a very integral part of the plot.
Spoiler:
So, I can't really see what's wrong with her talking about her school.
The thing wrong is... why isn't she attending Yuuichi's high school? And then there's that awkward feeling that the school is "in the middle of nowhere" (the forest). That's why I think that using another reason might be a little more believable. However, the lead-up to the
Spoiler:
is exploited to full effect, which I really loved and nearly brought me down.
Old 2007-02-17, 02:07   Link #45
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
The thing wrong is... why isn't she attending Yuuichi's high school? And then there's that awkward feeling that the school is "in the middle of nowhere" (the forest). That's why I think that using another reason might be a little more believable.
Like Sorrow-K had said, all these points you're raising now is integral to the plot twist which would surely be addressed in the upcoming episode. It's not a mishandling or bad script writing what so ever, just keep with it till the revelation and you'll see.
Old 2007-02-17, 02:34   Link #46
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Pakxenon

I'm going to give you a very big hint right now, and take note I'm only doing so because I believe it's not going to be a spoiler for you.

Go back to Episode 19, when Ayu was talking about her school with Yuuichi and Kitagawa. Around 07:20 - 07:32, take note of what Ayu and Yuuichi were saying about her school;

Jun: You're really in high school? Which high school?
Ayu: One in the west forest.
Yuuichi: Apparently you can go when you want and leave when you want.
Ayu: There's no homework, and taiyaki is served for lunch.

Actually, there's more to this dialogue than meets the eye. Just.....keep this particular bit of dialogue in mind when it comes time for Episode 21 to roll around. Or maybe 22......we'll see.
Old 2007-02-17, 02:53   Link #47
Chaos2Frozen
Spherical Cow

My bets' on the "taiyaki is served for lunch" bit...

ARGH! This show has given me the worst cliff-hanger I've ever experience watching anime!! The kind that makes you wanna stab something...

Old 2007-02-17, 02:58   Link #48
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I have no idea what's going on in Ayu's arc... Somebody, ANYBODY give me a sign! Point me in the right direction! A hint, A clue, anything!
Dude, you are not alone. I am totally confused. I am just sitting here going WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
You're looking for the answer? It's right in front of you, staring at you in the face since the very beginning.
GAGgghhgh... Must.. not.. be.. spoiled..... Must.. know.. what's.. going.. on...

Seriously, I don't think I can read these forums anymore. With everyone talking about how great they're setting up the HUGE PLOT TWIST, it's totally driving me nuts. NUTS!
Old 2007-02-17, 03:22   Link #49
DanielSong39

Simply finding it difficult to see the chemistry between Ayu and Yuuichi. I know I'm supposed to accept it at face value because it's the "canon" path - but I'm left feeling rather empty.

Maybe it's because I haven't being "paying enough attention" or I "haven't played the game" - but then again, I shouldn't have to think this hard to manufacture a satisfying reason why Ayu and Yuuichi belong together. Just comparing this to recent adaptations... Asa wasn't my first choice in SHUFFLE!, but she did build up a pretty strong case; both Kiri and Elis in Canvas 2 had much to offer to Hiroki, and their love for him was undeniable; in D.C. ~ Da Capo, the connection between Jyunichi and Nemu was very strong from the start. In comparision... I'm sorry to say this, but Kanon 2006 falls short. I felt the 2002 adaption did a better job in building up the romance... it was emphasized earlier, and Ayu's presence was much more central to the overall story in that adaptation.

Perhaps this anime wasn't meant to be a romance originally. But if so, those plans were scuttled by events in episode 19-20. I don't know if you can have it both ways - either this show is meant to be a romance - in which case, the Ayu-Yuuichi relationship should have been developed much earlier, at the expense of the other girls - or this show is meant to be "Yuuichi and his five daughters" - in which case Ayu shouldn't be getting special treatment compared to the other four girls.

Personally I would have preferred KyoAni to go with the single-path approach. With 24 episodes to animate a single path, they would've had the flexibility to develop richer characters, introduce new dimensions to their relationship, and also incorporate a lot more original material.
Old 2007-02-17, 03:39   Link #50
chinseimei

I wonder who was that 'someone older' Yuuichi used to have a crush on...Mai? Or the imaginary Sawatari Makoto from which Makoto got her name? Maybe even Akiko... I guess we'll never know.
Old 2007-02-17, 03:57   Link #51
Raniie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Personally I would have preferred KyoAni to go with the single-path approach. With 24 episodes to animate a single path, they would've had the flexibility to develop richer characters, introduce new dimensions to their relationship, and also incorporate a lot more original material.
If KyoAni did that. It won't be Kanon anymore. It'll be just like another Toei using the Kanon label / brand name. Then we'll just have another history repeating itself using modern tools.

If you weren't able to see the relationship build up between Ayu and Yuuichi, then there's no helping it. I haven't play the game nor read the game script before. I've seen the Toei version first, now KyoAni's. So I believe I'm in the same boat as you in that respect. However, I was still able to understand just how and why their relationship was able to skyrocket that instant. It has to do with putting together all the previous events since episode one until now (future events is going to further reveal the deal) to understand why Ayu and Yuuichi's love is so much more deeper than the other girls. Thus why that moment suddenly "ticked" between them. I already thought Nayuki made it clear in episode 19, the talk she had with Yuuichi.

Oh well, not everyone has the same views on things. Judging by your ongoing displease in this Kanon version (from your previous posts), I doubt you would consider giving this a "2nd" watch. So as it seem to me, this series is already hopeless to you in your eyes. I just hope you're a good swimmer, since the boat keeping you afloat in this anime series is sinking. :P
Old 2007-02-17, 04:37   Link #52
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Taiyaki Banzai~ *runs b4 Nayu-Nayu fans start chucking rocks*
-
-
Comments on episode.
I guess i was lucky that i wasn’t drinking coffee as usual but chomping on an apple turnover when i watched it during the morning…. the bath-scene hit me out of no where and i literally choked the food flying all over my laptop…… and i did it again due to laughter at “Ore, Tsukimiya Ayu!” scene
Had it been coffee my laptop will be DEAD.
Hereby an advice for all anime lovers, nvr eat or drink upon viewing anime!!!
P.S. I swear Ayu was on Ero mode (gets dragged away…..
P.S.2. “Seifuku Ayu = love” +1
P.S.3. Ayu embarrassed = one-hit KO.
P.S.4. Its all Ayu!!!!! Banzai!!!! (gets dragged away again…..
-
-
Once again I’m still having a lil trouble digesting the abrupt chemistry…. actually its the beginning of it that keeps my head spinning. I was fully aware the build ups in the preceding episodes, but it just wont work for me that U1, while had just finished dealing with and depressed from Shiori’s event, in split second he declares that he loves Ayu all these time. Who would believe u!? The only chemistry i can see is from Ayu's perspective, not U1's. The build ups of Ayu's feelings was obvious enough. Hints of Ayu’s feelings towards U1 throughout the series? Yes. But U1’s feeling towards Ayu? Nope, at least I haven’t seen any until ep19, it just awkward.
-
In fact, for the first time in Kanon remake, I felt like punching U1 in the face when he kept on blushing…. the handling gives me an impression of a “hypocrite” after all his manly, non-harem performance up till the kiss. I mean, since when did U1 recognize Ayu as a girl this instinctively back in the episodes? Even tho I believe he has feelings for her since 7 years ago, it is apparent enough even for a dumber, that he lost this feeling after a certain spoiler event. He should at least show signs of regaining this same feeling he had all the way back 7 years ago.
-
Therefore me think by having U1 begin his feeling towards Ayu earlier, or at least vaguely express that he has a thing for her, which is quite ez to do during the transitions, this abruptness can be cleaned out.
-
Otherwise, their date is very warm-hearty and adorable. I have no problem with that. In fact, I luv it.
-
But perhaps I’m holding the wrong view on the abruptness after all. due to the idea of “Ez come ez go.” Perhaps they did the abruptness on purpose, showing that, its a very short, but eye-catching relationship, by having it begin at peak, then having it shatter in split second. However, I still think they should have at least give us some slight hints about U1’s recovering his feelings towards Ayu earlier.
-
-
Sympathy on Nayuki. I’m definitely not a Nayu fanboy, in fact shes only my 4th favorite out of the 5somes, but she REALLY deserves better than this….. But again thaz what makes her likable, the silent, noble supporter behind the veils. However those eyes…. man, its painful to look at.
-
-
My favorite part is always the epic scenes. I felt rather painful when Ayu was screaming “Usou!!! Usou dayo!!! Sonnano Usou dayo!!!!!!!” Her voice cracking down, her desperation, the intense shock and fear reflected clearly in her eyes, and afterwards, helpless, all this with the addition of the crimson sunset, and a open yet seemingly boundless field covered in snow, with a giant stump standing alone at the center, the enviroment resembling her fate, a bloody, cruel reality. The camera shaking, as if it were echoing Ayu’s emotion, and the godforsaken music. They just played out so beautiful. It’s as if u r there, feeling the mood. Its incredible, an epic wonder of wonders…… incredible indeed.
-
-
Ayu disappearing scene, IMO, is brilliant, and rather haunting with Ayu’s “farewell words” aka “last words” echoing in U1’s (and my) head. The echoes keeps going on and on until one cant stand it anymore, creepy in a sense, but whats more in it, is despair.
-
-
Has anyone besides me noticed that the blue jacket Ayu’s been wearing on this episode is actually the same one Makoto wore back in ep08? I swear its the jacket of doom…. whoever wears it goes *poof*
-
-
-
Happy Kanoning.

Last edited by Bloody Nightingale; 2007-02-17 at 05:52. Reason: spell check
Old 2007-02-17, 04:54   Link #53
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

10/10 for this episode, although I saw the problems of Yuuichi & Ayu forming a credible relationship coming a long time ago. Yuuichi's affection for both Mai and Shiori looked a lot more plausible to me.

Ayu's development in recent episodes was marvellous, and the camera angles during the kiss scene in episode 19 give me some hope for a certain scene in, say, episode 22 - if they manage to do this I'll applaud them.

And the "three times rule" seems to apply in full gloomy power once again.
Old 2007-02-17, 05:17   Link #54
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I agree with DanielSong in the romance aspect.

I feel like i am missing episode 18.5 where something happened that brought Yuuichi and Ayu closer together. I am not against Yuuichi x Ayu, i am against the way it was introduced.

It felt like: Romance between Yuuichi and Ayu is needed for the upcoming episodes ... *snaps fingers* - voila, Yuuichi x Ayu in progress.

Yes, i am aware that they have a history together, have spent some time together recently bla bla bla... but it didn't leave the feeling of a building romance between them. Both Shiori's and even Mai's arcs would have served as a much better buildup for a possible romance. Up untill ep19 there was nothing in the Yuuichi/Ayu interactions that would seem romantic to me.

Maybe the writers are pressed for time (which might as well be the case), and don't have the time to flesh everything out as much as they would have wanted to ... but that would be their fault. I think chopping one ep off from Makoto and using it for more Yuuichi/Ayu buildup would be much more beneficial. But that is just me.
Old 2007-02-17, 05:35   Link #55
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I agree with DanielSong in the romance aspect.

I feel like i am missing episode 18.5 where something happened that brought Yuuichi and Ayu closer together. I am not against Yuuichi x Ayu, i am against the way it was introduced.

It felt like: Romance between Yuuichi and Ayu is needed for the upcoming episodes ... *snaps fingers* - voila, Yuuichi x Ayu in progress.

Yes, i am aware that they have a history together, have spent some time together recently bla bla bla... but it didn't leave the feeling of a building romance between them. Both Shiori's and even Mai's arcs would have served as a much better buildup for a possible romance. Up untill ep19 there was nothing in the Yuuichi/Ayu interactions that would seem romantic to me.

Maybe the writers are pressed for time (which might as well be the case), and don't have the time to flesh everything out as much as they would have wanted to ... but that would be their fault. I think chopping one ep off from Makoto and using it for more Yuuichi/Ayu buildup would be much more beneficial. But that is just me.
-
-
Agreed 200% with pacing problem.
I think the root of this problem is that Ayu is the #1 main heroine, and lead to the tragedy that the highlights bwtween her and U1 (mostly from U1's perspective) are spread out through the series like brains (eeewww.) It cant really be helped. The one solution possible, as I already stated in the previous post, is by having U1 begin to regain his feeling towards Ayu (from 7 years ago) earlier, at least vaguely express that he has a thing for her, and slip it into one of the transitions betweem arcs. It would appear much more natural, if not completely rid of abruptness.
-
Happy Kanoning.

Last edited by Bloody Nightingale; 2007-02-17 at 05:54. Reason: spell check
Old 2007-02-17, 06:11   Link #56
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i think most of us here thinks that the whole relationship was rushed and cut short...its the time management issue here ~ imo if makoto got 1 less ep then maybe we would have see the intermediate between yuuichi and ayu ~

but i think ayu made a smart move here ~ where the other girls have failed to capture yuuichi's heart ayu first mind traumatized him with bad memories then went in for the kill kiss (first kiss as well no doubt )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-17, 06:20   Link #57
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but i think ayu made a smart move here ~ where the other girls have failed to capture yuuichi's heart ayu first mind traumatized him with bad memories then went in for the kill kiss (first kiss as well no doubt )
Ahaha! I bet Mai could have landed him if she sealed the deal with a kiss. He did demonstrate weakness to her quite a number of times (e.g. he was stunned by her attractiveness at the ball; he was fascinated by her odd behavior; plus she has a past history intertwined to his).
Old 2007-02-17, 07:30   Link #58
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Go back to that final scene at the end of episode 19 in which Ayu and Yuuichi both opened up to each other. I'm not generally a fan of rushed romances, and usually I prefer romances where the protagonists fall in love with each other slowly. But, that situation, that moment in which two emotionally vulnerable people open up to each other is one where a romance could begin, fiction or not, quite believably. Add in their childhood history together, their interactions together over the months since Yuuichi's returned to the town, and I can't see anything that makes their romance any less believable. Call me biased or whatever, but I've always been of the opinion that Ayu and Yuuichi are an inevitability in Kanon's story and this adaptation by KyoAni has shown me nothing to counter that.
Old 2007-02-17, 07:31   Link #59
Kenji_Chaos

after reading summaries....
meh, i think its going to be a ayu ending instead of nayuki
eventhough i like nayuki >.<
Old 2007-02-17, 07:53   Link #60
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
"Watch out for cars."

"Because the night might never end."