AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2014-08-14, 02:32   Link #61
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Impossible. They already sold the licences to different companies than CR in non-U.S. countries. They cannot simply "revoke" them. Of course they could change it "from now on", but it would not solve the problem of the shows that were already licensed by others who do not take part in the streaming service. Another problem is, even if those different companies had their own streaming service, who would want to pay subscription fees to ALL OF THEM?
I seriously doubt that's always the reason and I'll use my own country as an example: virtually every show on CR right now is unavailable in my home country and yet there is about zero per cent chance that they will ever show up on TV, streaming or home video simply because the last licenser closed up shop in the early 00s. Now maybe there are european companies that still get the license for my area as a bulk from old contract templates or something but it's more likely that CR simply targets a few major markets instead of everything available to reduce licensing costs.
Old 2014-08-14, 13:13   Link #62
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I wonder, does CR pay licensing costs per view or per show (flat rate)? Because the former would seem a more logical approach.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 15:29   Link #63
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
So has anybody else heard about certain well known torrent listing and fansub sites going down? Looks like a DDoS attack.

Some people say it's the Japanese government. :/ (how seriously they mean that though....)

Last edited by Flower; 2014-09-02 at 03:57. Reason: Please do not mention torrent or fansub sites directly....
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 15:31   Link #64
GDB

It's a DDoS attack, but people clearly have no way of knowing where it's actually coming from, and thus start wild rumors because it's "cool".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 02:38   Link #65
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So has anybody else heard about certain well known torrent listing and fansub sites going down? Looks like a DDoS attack.

Some people say it's the Japanese government. :/ (how seriously they mean that though....)
Attacking sites via DDoS is illegal, so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they were behind this and it got found out. Besides, several fansub groups are also down, and last I checked, those weren't on the government's 'hit list'.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-09-02 at 04:01. Reason: Edited/removed unedited quoted posts. Also, please do not directly mention torrent or fansub sites.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 03:38   Link #66
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If you mean at the will of the Japanese, probably not, unless those sites too are targeted.
Not if "chivalrous organisations" do it on their behalf.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 08:26   Link #67
[AN] Optic

Though the intent is noble, I feel much more harm is done by counterfeit merchandise - fake wall scrolls, anime figures, posters...
[AN] Optic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 08:58   Link #68
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Besides, several fansub groups are also down, and last I checked, those weren't on the government's 'hit list'.
Those are usually ones that piggyback off of said torrent site's server/domain.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 09:06   Link #69
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post

It's not just torrent/sub sites. There's been a big wave of attacks lately in a lot of sectors. Many gaming sites and services got hit a few days ago too.

It's unfortunately far too easy to launch a DDoS attack, and too difficult to catch most of the people who do them. That's why they continue to happen. The only reason people don't notice them until something like this happens is because many hosts have learned how to mitigate the smaller attacks so they aren't as painful. Suffice to say though, DDoS attacks are way more frequent than you'd think.
Old 2014-09-02, 09:51   Link #70
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

yeah , japanese government try what all this acta , sopa etc. tried with torrent sites and did not succeed . I don`t think that they will succeed to shut all anime and manga streams . Everytime they will close a path another better one is find .
Old 2014-09-02, 14:52   Link #71
Dark Wing

Well people shouldn't worry too much as frustrating as it is that certain famous torrent site will be back up it'll just take some time. This anime blackout will pass but i do hope it'll help people realize how good they have it now. I still remember the dark ages of anime when the only anime you could get that wasn't on television was on VHS.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-09-03 at 09:23. Reason: Please do not directly mention torrent or fansub sites.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 08:04   Link #72
Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoMuseveni View Post
yeah , japanese government try what all this acta , sopa etc. tried with torrent sites and did not succeed . I don`t think that they will succeed to shut all anime and manga streams . Everytime they will close a path another better one is find .
They never gave up, they're trying to pass CISPA (now called CISA) as we speak. The house always operates this way with controversial bills; they change a few things, slap a new name onto it, and try to pass it again and again until it sticks. It almost always does eventually. Letting your guard down is a mistake.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 09:13   Link #73
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well people shouldn't worry too much as frustrating as it is a certain famous torrent site will be back up it'll just take some time. This anime blackout will pass but i do hope it'll help people realize how good they have it now. I still remember the dark ages of anime when the only anime you could get that wasn't on television was on VHS.
It actually wasn't that bad. I would have been a potato eater like my peers if it wasn't for the anime aired on the local Chinese channel.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-09-03 at 09:24. Reason: Edited the unedited quoted post.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 02:05   Link #74
AnimeFan188

Japanese Government Plans to Ask Net Providers to
Block Unauthorized Manga Sites:

"The Mainichi Shimbun newspaper reported on Friday that the Japanese government
plans to ask Internet providers in Japan to block unauthorized manga sites that upload
manga, magazines, and other content and make them available for viewing without the
respective copyright holders' permission. The report added that the government will hold
an anti-crime cabinet meeting, with an official announcement expected within the
month.

According to the report, the government plans to name three pirate websites, two of
which are supposedly operated from China and other countries, and that despite
regulations and investigation by authorities, the sites can still be viewed and browsed
from Japan."

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-sites/.130046
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 23:03   Link #75
AnimeFan188

Japan Is in an Anime EMERGENCY:

"Japan is in a serious anime crisis, and the government’s stepping in to save it.

The Cabinet Office’s Intellectual Property Strategy Headquarters in Japan announced on
Friday that it would enact an “emergency measure” to stop anime and manga piracy, in
an effort to save the craft from financial collapse, according to the Japan Times.

In this emergency measure, the government plans to encourage internet service
providers to restrict access to websites that offer pirated anime and manga “on a
voluntary basis.” It named three websites as specific targets of the measure:
Mangamura, Anitube, and Miomio."

See:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...rgency-measure

&

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.WtXxCbSplE7
Old 2018-04-18, 23:22   Link #76
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quite possibly overstepping what is legally permissible or desirable in the process with such countermeasures.
Quote:
Critics have expressed concern that blocking certain websites violates Article 21 of the Constitution, which states: “No censorship shall be maintained, nor shall the secrecy of any means of communication be violated.”
- from JT linked above

Asahi April 13: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201804130048.html

NHK Last night
クローズアップ現代+
http://www.nhk.or.jp/gendai/articles/4118/index.html

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201...408791000.html
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-19, 01:28   Link #77
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
"Japan is in a serious anime crisis, and the government’s stepping in to save it."
That's hilarious. They should call Yamakan for that.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-23, 20:43   Link #78
bakato

Censorship issues aside, will this really help creators?
Old 2018-04-23, 22:22   Link #79
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Doubt so. Copyright-related movements often leave out the actual creators.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 01:52   Link #80
AnimeFan188

Japanese Government Aims to Ban 'Leech Sites' That
Link to Pirated Works:

"The Mainichi Shimbun reported on Friday that Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs
intends to ban "leech sites" that aggregate and provide hyperlinks to pirated media. The
agency intends to submit revisions to the Copyright Act in the next ordinary session of
the Diet in 2019.

As part of the ban, copyright holders would be able to ban hyperlinks to bootleg works,
not just the bootleg works themselves. Site operators who neglect to remove such links
would also be subject to legal action if they are aware that the links lead to pirated
material. Operators of leech sites would be subject to prison terms of up to three to five
years."

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-works/.138221