AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-05-19, 14:56   Link #181
Tenzen12

I wouldn't say Mycroft is on Moriarty side, he just tolerate them. Bond and Jack in other hand aren't really relevant, they are just muscle.

All Sherlock needs is win on intellectual level and reveal truth. Not to mention we know Moriarty will die by end while Sherlock survive from Doyle books...
Old 2021-05-19, 20:19   Link #182
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sherlock isn't a player in this. Just another game piece.
Which makes sense as the show is called Moriarty the Patriot, not Sherlock Holmes the Great Detective.
Old 2021-05-19, 21:13   Link #183
AC-Phoenix
Detective

For all the things I have to criticize this show for btw, they've come up with a pretty solid Jack the Ripper solution, that's actually more believable than most of the others.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 02:12   Link #184
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Which makes sense as the show is called Moriarty the Patriot, not Sherlock Holmes the Great Detective.
It could still have a decent antagonist! But Sherlock isn't it, and neither is Mycroft.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 06:06   Link #185
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Agreed, it's making it hard to take any of it seriously, on one side you have the Moriarty siblings holding all of the cards with apparently infinite knowledge and connections dating back to years of planning, while on the other you have Sherlock shown to still be barely at the starting gate trying to figure everything out.

And now, apparently not only is Mycroft, "James Bond" and members of the future MI6 on Moriarty's side, but ALSO the "original" Jack the motherfucking Ripper is backong him up while they pull off anime stunts all over London on a supposedly grounded setting. I know antagonists/villains are supposed to have a certain amount of advantage but this show just keeps stacking the odds to unbelievably high degrees in Moriarty's favor and that's taking into account that Moriarty IS supposed to have the advantage, that's kind of a big disconnect for me right there.

Don't get me wrong, I am still enjoying the show, but I find myself rolling my eyes more with each episode that airs... maybe it's because I am not a fan of portraying outright villains or villainous acts as heroes/heroic while the actual hero (in this case a hyper competent one) gets conveniently sidelined and kept uninformed to the point where it's going to look like an asspull of he ever figures anything out.
I'm not even enjoying it anymore, if I'm honest.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-24, 20:36   Link #186
BBally81

I noticed the Moriarty the Patriot anime skipped one of my favorite chapters, The Adventure of the One Student, which is a shame as it was the only story where William and Sherlock got freely interact and had some of my favorite interactions between the two.
BBally81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-25, 11:50   Link #187
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It could still have a decent antagonist! But Sherlock isn't it, and neither is Mycroft.
Hmm, I think he's more or less serving the purpose he's supposed to.
Old 2021-05-25, 22:31   Link #188
alex_drian

I got Harvey Dent (Batman the Dark Knight) vibes of Whitely, that isn't good. At least there isn't a Joker here, but I wouldn't pass this author to make a noble version of The Joker.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-29, 13:40   Link #189
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The franchise was extended in stages through the "Reform Acts" of 1832 and 1867. A much larger enfranchisement took place in 1884. That Act gave some 60% of adult males the right to vote and garnered bitter opposition in the Lords. Nearly universal suffrage happened in 1918, expanding to include women and poorer men. The fact that many of those men fought in World War I made it hard to continue their disenfranchisement. While men could vote at 21, patriarchal attitudes did not let women vote until the age of 30.

Probably the events in this episode are based on the 1884 bill. By 1918 there would be more motorcars on the streets of London.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also the Holmes stories end around 1914.

Quote:
The time setting ranges from the late 1870s to late 1880s in "The Gloria Scott" to 1914 in "The Last Bow."
https://education.seattlepi.com/time...ooks-6938.html
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-30, 11:55   Link #190
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I got Harvey Dent (Batman the Dark Knight) vibes of Whitely, that isn't good. At least there isn't a Joker here, but I wouldn't pass this author to make a noble version of The Joker.
You saw that blood on the one side of his face. So you know that's exactly what the Mangaka was going for.
Old 2021-05-30, 15:09   Link #191
Tenzen12

Yeah, it's obviously intentional with Milverton being Joker. Original Milverton was profiteer, here he goes full chaos for fun.

Can't say I mind.
Old 2021-06-06, 15:43   Link #192
Dark Wing

Well this week we're back to Sherlock and we get to John's future wife Mary. Looks like we're setting up a three way confrontation with Team Holmes vs Team Moriarty vs Milverton The King of Blackmail. Should be a hell of showdown since it obvious one group is going want Milverton in prison while other is going to want him dead to keep him silent.
Old 2021-06-14, 16:39   Link #193
BBally81

Well, this was quite a twist.
Old 2021-06-20, 14:24   Link #194
BBally81

Okay, some points on the recent Moriarty the Patriot episode:

1. Milverton's body is never found so there's a small possibility he somehow survived and could trouble Sherlock and John again in the series version of The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.

2. Fred sending a telegram to Sherlock is a nod to The Valley of Fear, as in the canon Fred Porlock (who is only referenced once in canon) is a small time member of Moriarty's gang but is also works as an informant for Sherlock Holmes, sending encrypted letters to Holmes detailing Moriarty's plans.

3. In the manga version of the final scene in the episode, William is portrayed in a posture similar to Sidney Paget's illustration of the character's first appearance in The Final Problem.

4. Sherlock referring to William as a friend once again shows why omitting the Adventure of the One Student chapter was a big mistake.
Old 2021-06-21, 12:56   Link #195
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Will they be taking a trip to Reichenbach Falls to arrange Liam's death?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 14:49   Link #196
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBally81 View Post
4. Sherlock referring to William as a friend once again shows why omitting the Adventure of the One Student chapter was a big mistake.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Will they be taking a trip to Reichenbach Falls to arrange Liam's death?
The novelization of Sherlock Holmes' cases, in series, is written by Watson (under penname of Doyle) so has a lot of freedoms to make it more sensational and carries his bias. Including more exotic locations.

This is the cover of the Final Problem arc final chapter.

Spoiler for you can probably guess what it is but still spoilers for size:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-27, 18:54   Link #197
BBally81

The anime had to take a bit of liberties with its ending since the manga still hasn't ended yet.

Spoiler for Spoilers from the manga:

Last edited by BBally81; 2021-06-27 at 19:04.