AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

View Poll Results: Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 3 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 37.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 4.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-04-20, 20:32   Link #21
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvik View Post
Well, they are happening about the same time. Sousuke informs Merida about Leonard's visit at Kaname's appartment, and Kalinin tells him they will send a helicopter for them the next morning. When the helicopter left, Merida wasn't under attack, since she doesn't mention it when she talks with Sousuke, and neither was he, the attack only started when the heli was close to them.

However, there might be some delay between the attacks, and it looks like it's early morning on Merida, not night. The sky shown at Merida is still somewhat dark and there are some stars visible on it, but you can clearly see clouds, too. That's a sign of either early morning or late evening, you can't see clouds during the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
IIRC, the novel mentions that Merida is located near Guam.
Considering Guam and Tokyo's longitudinal distance, Amalgam's attack on the island should've happened when the sun is already up, not dawn.

If there is indeed a delay, that's weird on the storyboard part. The way scenes between Tokyo and Merida Island goes back and forth, the viewers get a sense that both events are happening simultaneously.
Old 2018-04-20, 20:33   Link #22
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Sketches from the opening

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/987335015301242881
Old 2018-04-20, 20:36   Link #23
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post

Also, why is it that everytime that Tuaha de Danann crew is under attack one or two people start to have traitorous thoughts? I know they are mercenaries, but doesn't Mythril check their profiles or make them undergo psychological tests? thankfully Tessa managed the situation pretty well.
General Amit of Intellgence mentions it best in TSR that if even when all the stops are pulled to make sure no one is a double agent, the pay check is going to be the key since most are working in Mithril motivated by money.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2018-04-20, 20:38   Link #24
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
That's awesome!
The face of the the wrecked Arbalest has some Obari vibes in it. I didn't know he is actually involved in the OP's storyboard until now.
Old 2018-04-20, 21:35   Link #25
Darthtabby

While the CG in some of the long shots during the car chase looks pretty bad if you focus on it, overall I actually rather liked the chase sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Man, that was one brutal episode. I wonder if the staff had to censore parts from the light novels cos the use of so many guns and even AI could have worse repercussions (might affect Chidori more). I like the opening but not the ending (a church?)
Well, the anime does more or less portray the effects of a helicopter's gattling gun on human targets as "getting swept away by a wave of light"...
Old 2018-04-21, 00:58   Link #26
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Holy crap, that was bad CG during the car chase.
And the OP isn't Shimokawa Mikuni? Eeeehhhhhh?!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2018-04-21, 01:43   Link #27
dasvik

Send a message via Yahoo to dasvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Is this really throwing the kitchen sink? Taking hostages is terrorism 101.
How'bout sending 5 Alastors and 8 men armed with machine-guns against him, just to surround the car? Plus those following in cars, the "surprise-Alastor", and those people firing at them in the park? Not to mention
Spoiler for Episode 3 & 4, probably:

All that to take away 1 girl from him. Does that sound like the kitchen sink now?
Old 2018-04-21, 09:48   Link #28
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Holy crap, that was bad CG during the car chase.
And the OP isn't Shimokawa Mikuni? Eeeehhhhhh?!
Yeah, the OP sounds really different from the previous shows. Kind of a different feel to my ears.

And those CG sequences for the car chase were atrocious. I can deal with it looking not quite 100% integrated with 2D but the chase scene almost reached the level of some of the first season CGI by GONZO. Thankfully not as bad as those

It's a shame cause the cars themselves were actually decently shaded but the entire backgrounds just looked like an old PS2 cutscene. And not even the good ones, the average to bad ones. Very disappointing coming from the studio who handled the Yamato remakes.

Also gotta <3 Tessa. She's showing some major badass points now. That comment about a nuclear explosion being instant was all kinds of awesome
Old 2018-04-21, 10:29   Link #29
Tormenk

Hearing Al again really completes the feeling of FMP. Belfangan's design doesn't quite capture the feel from TSR but the scene where everyone looks at Kurz and he looks back at them was nailed spot on. Kudos to the animators for putting in the effort to make sure the characters look and move the same since KyoAni definitely set the bar high in TSR.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2018-04-21, 10:42   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Yeah, the OP sounds really different from the previous shows. Kind of a different feel to my ears.
I know right? I'm not liking the OP song, but the visual is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
And those CG sequences for the car chase were atrocious. I can deal with it looking not quite 100% integrated with 2D but the chase scene almost reached the level of some of the first season CGI by GONZO. Thankfully not as bad as those

It's a shame cause the cars themselves were actually decently shaded but the entire backgrounds just looked like an old PS2 cutscene. And not even the good ones, the average to bad ones. Very disappointing coming from the studio who handled the Yamato remakes.
It's too bad too since the chase itself is fast and dynamic with decent camera angles. But somebody forgot to shade the environment or the money and the time were simply unavailable so they decided to sacrifice that scene to accommodate other more-important scenes. Xebec, as far as my experience with them, is known for making the most out of what they have when it comes to mecha anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Kudos to the animators for putting in the effort to make sure the characters look and move the same since KyoAni definitely set the bar high in TSR.
The handdrawn animation in this episode itself is ranging from good to great aside from that still-frame when Arbalest shot the Amalgam agents with the vulcans.
Old 2018-04-21, 11:36   Link #31
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
I'm not going to hide my feeling that the chase scene is horribly made. Perhaps becasuse we expected more from XEBEC but they failed to deliver: they've got the speed, but the rest in CG looked really out of place. Shame because they made them right back in Fafner.
Of course, the big fights are coming up shortly so we may expect them to do better on that part.

I'm not too fond of the new OP either (more than just because not Shimokawa's work) but the scenes, while spoiler-filled are neatly made. The rest of the episode is pretty fine as well, though I'll like to see Tessa smiles before leaving after scolding the SRT (she did back in the novel).
Old 2018-04-21, 13:47   Link #32
Darthtabby

I actually liked the car chase sequence for the most part. I only really found the CGI much of an issue if I focused on it.

I also think this episode had some gorgeously detailed traditional animation.
Old 2018-04-21, 14:07   Link #33
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's too bad too since the chase itself is fast and dynamic with decent camera angles. But somebody forgot to shade the environment or the money and the time were simply unavailable so they decided to sacrifice that scene to accommodate other more-important scenes. Xebec, as far as my experience with them, is known for making the most out of what they have when it comes to mecha anime.
You're absoluely right. They nailed everything but seem to have ran out of time and/or money to properly finish the scene backgrounds.

Like you mentioned it truly does feel like the first seasons of Initial D except that those had the excuse of being done during the night to hide some of the simpler elements in the scene with darker lightning while this one, by taking place during the day, makes it blatantly obvious that something is overly simplified.

But enough negativity out of me, the show continues delivering on what matters: the story and the characters. I'll join those mentioning how XEBEC has managed to keep character movements and behaviors consistent with TSR and the studio should be applauded by that.

Overall the second episode didn't feel as well paced as the first one but still very much within the acceptable to good range. Can't wait for next week.
Old 2018-04-21, 14:41   Link #34
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvik View Post
How'bout sending 5 Alastors and 8 men armed with machine-guns against him, just to surround the car? Plus those following in cars, the "surprise-Alastor", and those people firing at them in the park? Not to mention
Spoiler for Episode 3 & 4, probably:

All that to take away 1 girl from him. Does that sound like the kitchen sink now?
Honestly, no. I associate "kitchen sink" with desperation. We're not given anything to assume that this is everything Amalgam has and then some. 5 Alastors? Out of several dozen they may already have if not hundreds? 8 men and few dozen more? C'mon, a worldwide terrorist organization can't be short on henchmen. If anything, I'd just assume this was one ritzy organization. Meanwhile, Mithril's forced to use training units against Behemoths. All this to take a Whispered and destroy the biggest obstacle to global dominance.

As someone new to the franchise, I love the OP.

Last edited by bakato; 2018-04-21 at 15:47.
Old 2018-04-21, 17:12   Link #35
Chidori<3
Hei x Yin

Soooo
Here I am again. After all these years xD I've spent almost 8 years checking this forum from time to time, hoping to find some news about FMP continuation...

And now I'm commenting second episode.

I love it. I love it, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Animation ( not that CGI moments, there is no need to comment those xD ), I feel that this animation lacks something. Their faces don't express much, compared to TSR.

Last edited by Solace; 2018-04-22 at 02:44. Reason: Give it time.
Old 2018-04-21, 17:35   Link #36
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidori<3 View Post
Soooo
Here I am again. After all these years xD I've spent almost 8 years checking this forum from time to time, hoping to find some news about FMP continuation...

And now I'm commenting second episode.

I love it. I love it, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Animation ( not that CGI moments, there is no need to comment those xD ), I feel that this animation lacks something. Their faces don't express much, compared to TSR.

AAAAND, the most important thing in this episode that was missed:
Ah, wonder if this in the novel but the anime removed

Last edited by Solace; 2018-04-22 at 02:44. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 2018-04-21, 22:55   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Umm...guys, there's a possibility that they might add that in future episodes, so please don't put it here coz it's a possible future event.

Remember, we have this rule:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
Old 2018-04-22, 04:07   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Isn't Amalgam worried that Chidori's going to die if they fire that many bullets in her general direction? Don't they want her alive?
Old 2018-04-22, 08:31   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'll chime in with everyone else and say that the CGI wasn't great even though the choreography was good. If it has to be CGI then Orange Standard is a must.

I also thought the Tessa worshipping scene near the end was pretty unnecessary. The guy went from mutiny to wanting to marry her. It was a little too manufactured imo.

But other than that it was another great episode. I like how intense it is right from the get go. These baddies aren't pissing about.
Old 2018-04-22, 10:08   Link #40
dasvik

Send a message via Yahoo to dasvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also thought the Tessa worshipping scene near the end was pretty unnecessary. The guy went from mutiny to wanting to marry her. It was a little too manufactured imo.
It might seem - or even be - a bit forced, but take into consideration that he didn't want to mutiny in order to change the commanding officer, because he didn't like her or because he wanted a better job. It was nothing personal, he might've even liked her, but in this case he thought she's made a wrong decision, which will cost him - and others - their lives, and he wanted to get out of this predicament alive, no matter the methods. It was just that, some kind of survival instinct, taken to the extreme. Once the situation was cleared by Tessa (through the power of the captain's speech ) he returned to his previous feelings, of respect for his commanding officer - or more than that.

Or maybe he's simply one of those guys who finds women who point guns at him irresistible.
Closed Thread