AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-17, 09:04   Link #41
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I can tell that Setsu's performance was much weaker compared to all his previous ones, but I can't tell the difference between the rival's performance and his either. I certainly wasn't blown away by the rival like the cast was. His performance sounded generic like you said.
Same. But maybe it's different if you're really into shamisen music?

Quote:
I wish they'd found a less contrived way for Setsu to find out Maeda's grandma heard his grandpa playing his piece back in the day. Like... simply having him listen to it. He's hard to approach but he's not such a dick he wouldn't give her five minutes of his time.
It'd probably be a bit of a hurdle for her, given her shyness.

I thought Setsu was a bit of a dick, both to the girl (he could have explained his qualms much earlier) and to Kamiki (who obviously had some emotional shit going on around his instrument - that's something the MC should understand if anyone does).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 20:39   Link #42
Alchemist007
*Author

Ep 2 was at about 30% shamisen, I'm gonna need like 60% to get my fix.
Old 2021-04-18, 10:07   Link #43
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Ep 2 was at about 30% shamisen, I'm gonna need like 60% to get my fix.
I'm hoping it's just an episode to introduce the rest of the cast, and we'll get back on track next week.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-23, 16:51   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So what is Ume's occupation, anyway?

Also, I'm not sure how he'd feel about winning (or even entering) a competition created and ran by his mom.
Old 2021-04-23, 18:27   Link #45
leongsh
Daijoubu!

What a surfeit of shamisen music so far. They are making the music front and centre so far in drawing out the story and overall plotline. It is also a vehicle to draw people into listening and appreciating shamisen music.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-23, 18:29   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Just like what's his name, I also wondered if it was really just one person playing Grandpa's Shungyou. It was that impressive.

The previous episode made it look like Kamiki hated Setsu's guts after he played something boring on his precious shamisen, but it turns out he's noticed he is extremely talented and wishes to provide him with the help/stimulation he needs to produce his own sound.

There's already a love quadrangle brewing. Glasses in love with what's his name, what's his name in love with Shuri, Shuri in love with Setsu, and Setsu in love with his Grandpa's sound. Kono oto tomare managed to avoid that pitfall, but this one apparently won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Also, I'm not sure how he'd feel about winning (or even entering) a competition created and ran by his mom.
She's probably a singer as her main occupation, but does a little bit of everything.
Old 2021-04-23, 20:15   Link #47
Wandering Soul

While Setsu getting to meet Shuri's grandmother was a good experience for both of them and he really needed to hear what she said.

I hope the love triangle antics don't take over the show.
Old 2021-04-23, 20:50   Link #48
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Setsu is really starting to find his own sound playing a simplified version of Shungyou for Shuri's grandma
Old 2021-04-25, 02:00   Link #49
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:

I presume she is a CEO of some sort of big entertaiment agency. You know, music label+different events organisation.

As for the ep, it had a good balance of everything. Flashback duiring performance was also pretty touching. They went a bit overboard with some things in general but I'm fine with it.

Also, as much as I like Kono Oto Tomare, I hope this won't get the same root (i.e. the main plot will turn out in a bunch of school competitions or conflicts with rivals). Just because I want something else this time.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-30, 17:00   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

How much time did they have to prepare for the competition? I thought it was completely hopeless at first, but it seems they're starting to come together at the end. It looks like they mostly taught themselves too... Depending on how much time they had, I may have to call bullshit.

Now we know what Umeko does.
Old 2021-04-30, 20:44   Link #51
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Setsu really isnt a good teacher good thing Keiko have Seiryuuu number
Old 2021-05-01, 02:27   Link #52
Blaat

I'm just glad we got to hear them practise on the instruments, yeah I'm looking at you Kono Oto Tomare.
Quote:
How much time did they have to prepare for the competition?
I'm guessing it's somewhere between the start of the school year and summer vacation, with the competition being in September they'll have the whole summer vacation to practise.
Old 2021-05-01, 08:45   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Even though this show has now migrated into the school-club genre, I still enjoy it. Characters like Kamiki maintain the focus on the music so the story doesn't devolve into high-school hijinks. And there's still a lot of shamisen in every episode.

Bet that video of Kamiki's duet with Setsu would get some views if were posted on the Internet.

I'm curious now about Setsu's attitude over his mother's machinations to create a tournament in which he'll become more visible. Obviously, at first glance, he hates his mother and especially her manipulative character. Yet from a more neutral point-of-view she's been good to him since he left home. Of course, she might simply be trying to make up for her abandonment of the boys by finding a home and school for Setsu and setting up the tournament as delayed "compensation." Still I think he's starting to see the tournament as a possible turning-point in his life. Skipping down the hallway suggests that.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2021-05-01 at 10:18.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-01, 09:04   Link #54
Tenzen12

It does not seem like he really hates her though. It's more like he don't know how to deal with her
Old 2021-05-01, 10:59   Link #55
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Even though this show has now migrated into the school-club genre, I still enjoy it. Characters like Kamiki maintain the focus on the music so the story doesn't devolve into high-school hijinks. And there's still a lot of shamisen in every episode.

Bet that video of Kamiki's duet with Setsu would get some views if were posted on the Internet.

I'm curious now about Setsu's attitude over his mother's machinations to create a tournament in which he'll become more visible. Obviously, at first glance, he hates his mother and especially her manipulative character. Yet from a more neutral point-of-view she's been good to him since he left home. Of course, she might simply be trying to make up for her abandonment of the boys by finding a home and school for Setsu and setting up the tournament as delayed "compensation." Still I think he's starting to see the tournament as a possible turning-point in his life. Skipping down the hallway suggests that.
I don't think he hates her, despite their conflicting values. And to a degree I think he sees her point about obscurity, even if he doesn't accept it.
Old 2021-05-01, 11:09   Link #56
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It does not seem like he really hates her though. It's more like he don't know how to deal with her
I don't blame him.
Old 2021-05-01, 18:53   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I don't think he hates her, despite their conflicting values. And to a degree I think he sees her point about obscurity, even if he doesn't accept it.
The point though is that it's not her life and not her decision to make - it's his. Being a stage mom is bad enough - doing it after abandoning your kid is pretty repugnant.

I think it's understandable if Setsu doesn't hate Umeko - she's his mom. It's not that easy for a kid to hate a parent, you know? He certainly resents her, for good reason.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-01, 20:49   Link #58
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think many people could deal with her.
Old 2021-05-01, 20:55   Link #59
Tenzen12

I don't think he resent her either, really. Sure she is terrible parent, but Setsu doesn't seems to hold grudge. He just don't want to be forced into stuff.
Old 2021-05-02, 00:19   Link #60
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Also, are we sure she actually abandoned him? Did I forget a scene? I know she left him with his grandfather, but leaving your kids with a relative because you're now the breadwinner of the family and need to make money, because people gotta eat is different from straight up abandoning ones kids.