AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-09, 20:29   Link #181
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
Perfect manga adaptation from episode 1. Everything is the same.
I must say well done- this is definitely the livelier work from takeshi obata
VEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 09:06   Link #182
Xagzan

I liked Kaya's voice better this time around. Iwase's voice I definitely loved, it was more or less the way I imagined it. Although I hope she has the range for when she goes
Spoiler:

And as always, the little sexist touches make me uncomfortable, but ah well. This is the guy who wrote Death Note after all.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 09:14   Link #183
Bombo
TSF Fans

Spoiler for 2:
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 10:19   Link #184
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
the little sexist touches
what touches?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 10:30   Link #185
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Iwase's voice was perfect. The rest of the episode was rather underwhelming for a manga reader like me, animation and overall directing are still average. The spark is not there, for me.
Old 2010-10-10, 10:59   Link #186
HandofFate

Probably the line: "Men has dreams that a woman wouldn't understand"

though, I say its more of those "A man has things he has to do lines" as far as masculine things to say.

though, I don't see it THAT sexist in nature. Some people do like to label everything with racist/sexist cards at every opportunity when its just a line about a coming of age.

in reverse, "Women has dreams that a man wouldn't understand" while isn't outright side, themes of that shows up in shojo series as well.

as for the episodes so far.
it seems to be pretty panel for panel for manga adaptation, which is nice, but I'm watching an anime here, it is't enough for me to just be watching a moving manga page. I hope it does improve later when they get into the whole manga making.
The points where each episode cuts off is really well-placed though. It does make me go "damn, I'm kind of interested in the next scene"
Old 2010-10-10, 12:56   Link #187
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

Not much development in episode 2. Basically it's just about
Spoiler for Ep2:

I'm not reading the manga, so I'm not sure whether the anime will turn out to be good but both Ep1 and 2 still do not impress me so far. And I still find it odd that Azuki accepted Moritaka's proposal but didn't make any interaction with him in school, not even eye contact.
Hopefully things will get more interesting after they begin their mangaka's career.
Old 2010-10-10, 13:02   Link #188
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
what touches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Probably the line: "Men has dreams that a woman wouldn't understand"
Yeah, that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
though, I say its more of those "A man has things he has to do lines" as far as masculine things to say.

though, I don't see it THAT sexist in nature. Some people do like to label everything with racist/sexist cards at every opportunity when its just a line about a coming of age.
No, it's not THAT sexist. I did say little touch. Of course, there are a few others in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaedeF View Post
Not much development in episode 2. Basically it's just about
Spoiler for Ep2:

I'm not reading the manga, so I'm not sure whether the anime will turn out to be good but both Ep1 and 2 still do not impress me so far. And I still find it odd that Azuki accepted Moritaka's proposal but didn't make any interaction with him in school, not even eye contact.
Hopefully things will get more interesting after they begin their mangaka's career.
It does. Especially once the other characters are introduced and the manga writing gets underway. And the development between Azuki and Mashiro also develops nicely over time.

Sidenote: I hope Rikiya Koyama voices Hattori. I didn't think about voice actors for this series while I was reading, but when Hattori was introduced, the voice just popped in my head.

Last edited by Xagzan; 2010-10-10 at 15:07.
Old 2010-10-10, 14:12   Link #189
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's pretty old-fashioned, both in storytelling slowness and those sexist touches, but I enjoyed ep2. Telling the manga pretty well, in my opinion. Tears came to my eyes at the appropriate moment.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 14:34   Link #190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I really worry that the underwhelming animation, deliberate pacing and stubbornly realistic tone will lose this series viewers. So far I think it's wonderful - animation quality aside. While the father's comment was inherently sexist in nature, I think it sort of fits this series. For all the shows that have teenaged males as the central character, this is one of the few that really seems to get what it's like to be one. Basically it's a series about having a dream and following it that doesn't gloss over just how brutal and unrewarding that kind of dedication can sometimes be. It's also about friendship, familial love and the manga industry - and while all those things are welcome in my book, I can't exactly seem them as huge audience draws.

As well, I think what comes across is how authentic this experience is to the mangaka himself. He's felt these emotions and understands exactly what Moritaka is feeling. This is something of a tortoise vs. hare show I think - there's no flash here. Slow pacing, no fantastical elements, no fanservice - just life. If anyone sticks with it - and I hope enough people like the manga that a large number of viewers will - is going to be rewarded.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 20:39   Link #191
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Disgusting. There was absolutely nothing sexist about that line. Not even "a little."
Old 2010-10-10, 21:09   Link #192
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I don't think that's really the larger point - but I do disagree. It was clearly a sexist comment in the literal definition of the word - espousing gender stereotypes. That said, I don't think it was sexist in a bad way - it wasn't meant maliciously. It was simply stating what the father viewed as a fact and which, frankly, has more than a grain of truth in it. That men and women are different doesn't mean one is inherently better or worse than the other. And Bakuman is a series that I really see as very much of an about a male perspective, specifically an adolescent one - the idealized view of romance, the exuberance of latching onto something and throwing yourself into it, the raw emotional extremes that are a part of everyday existence.

What worries me is that this seems to me to be a story that's told very much from a male viewpoint, but that some male viewers typically get turned off by slower-paced shows without a lot of action or fanservice (is that sexist?). Maybe this will be a weird amalgam like OoFuri that has elements that appeal to both genders, or maybe it will never really find an audience and sort of languish in obscurity.
Old 2010-10-10, 21:18   Link #193
Xagzan

I'd like to think that the fact it's by the Death Note creators would make viewers give it the benefit of the doubt.
Old 2010-10-10, 22:35   Link #194
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, I don't think that's really the larger point - but I do disagree. It was clearly a sexist comment in the literal definition of the word - espousing gender stereotypes. That said, I don't think it was sexist in a bad way - it wasn't meant maliciously. It was simply stating what the father viewed as a fact and which, frankly, has more than a grain of truth in it. That men and women are different doesn't mean one is inherently better or worse than the other. And Bakuman is a series that I really see as very much of an about a male perspective, specifically an adolescent one - the idealized view of romance, the exuberance of latching onto something and throwing yourself into it, the raw emotional extremes that are a part of everyday existence.
If it was sexist then it was in a bad way. There's no good or neutral way to be sexist. Sexist and sexism have negative connotations associated with them. Being accidental or unintended doesn't make sexism less wrong. If anything, that's even worse.

But I don't see it as sexist at all, because I don't see it as a stereotype. Men and women look at the world differently. That's a fact. It's not sexist to highlight or point out a gender difference, especially when there's no ill intent behind doing so.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with much of what you said. The only thing I find wrong is the label of "sexist."
Old 2010-10-10, 22:41   Link #195
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Truce. I don't think there's much real disagreement here either...
Old 2010-10-10, 22:51   Link #196
Clarste
Human

It's definitely sexist. While it's not sexist to note that there are differences between men and women, it certainly is sexist to imply that a woman couldn't possibly understand what it means to have a career ambition. This is textbook sexism. While it could certainly be more sexist if it wanted to be, that doesn't make the sexism magically go away.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 02:28   Link #197
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

As a female, I admit I was a little unhappy on hearing that line, but I don't see it as something sexist. It rather shows egoism of men. You know, men tend to use such lines to brush off blathering women who in fact are worrying them, and do whatever they want/like to.
Old 2010-10-11, 02:50   Link #198
tera_ha

my favourite series so far in the fall . just love it
Old 2010-10-11, 02:59   Link #199
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

You hear that line in mecha and sports stories too. I think it simply states men are brash and bull-headed about certain things, which I don't believe to be a compliment. Rather, I think the mother having a symbolic position in the family hierarchy rather than possessing final say power is entirely more sexist, though this would vary from family to family.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 03:29   Link #200
darry

This Anime is going to be a Highlight this Season !

atleast for me
darry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comic works, coming of age, shounen