Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-17, 12:34   Link #81
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Wait...have you actually SEEN the originals? My God. If you were eating nothing but Spam you're whole life you might be content...until you try a nice New York Steak.
I actually LIKE lots of anime dubs just as much or better than the original. It's not a matter of taste. The 4Kids dub is so horribly butchered it's not even the same show. One Piece is probably one of the worst dubs EVER in the history of anime and it's a crying shame to be on TV.

I've seen the original, and as i said it doesn't bother me. with any anime, i expect quite a bit of editing.
Old 2006-04-17, 12:38   Link #82
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with what 4kids is doing. just complaing, honestly everyone here should know the original versions are always better then the dubs. i'm fairly content with whatever anime 4kids puts out. I guess im runnign the 4 kids high, becuase they produce all the animes i watch on regular tv. (not fortunate enough to have cable or satallite) no CN for me. But thats my opnion.
What...

Sure! Go ahead and destroy an amazing story 4kids! =DDD;;;

I think you're being ignorant. They're taking an art and they're tearing it to pieces just to reshape it into the grotesqe baby show just so they can grab a few extra bucks. Morally, it's wrong. There has to be some kind of middle ground between censorship and a series, and 4kids has totally blown that out of the water to create their own version of the series. Do you want to know something interesting? The Studio Ghibli film, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was dubbed to fit as a kids show, in which the title was changed to 'Warriors of the Wind', Nausicaa was changed to Princess Zandra, slow emotional scenes were cut out, and the VAs weren't even informed as to what the story was about so the vocals were horrible.

Is that ok to do? To take a show and warp it so much that it can be shown to 6year olds by censorship standards? When Miyazaki found out what had happened to his movie, he was horrified! After that point he insisted that a 'no edit' clause was to be included in any of his dealings with any nation, and asks everyone to "forget that this version ever existed."

And yet you saw the uncut verion on Cartoon Network just the other day. FANCY THAT.

This whole 'dub One Piece for kids lol' thing is nothing but money. Sure selling bad dubs makes the money that feeds their kids, but so does selling cigarettes. Does it make one any more morale than the other? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Maybe some people actually want to create masterpieces that they can put their heart and soul into. It's just so hard to nowadays with the temptaion to create mediocrity for a few bucks. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was interested more in creating something beautiful with less interest in the money.

I'm sure if they put the effort into it and actually created a classic show that people would want to share with others and view it again and again, wouldn't it create more profit than a forgettable chopped up, pun injected dub?

But then that's just MY opinion. >:/ [/rant]
Old 2006-04-17, 13:30   Link #83
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I haven't checked the previous messages, but did anyone contact 4kids directly to hear their response regarding the complaints? If the answer is yes, what was the response?
Old 2006-04-17, 13:36   Link #84
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

If no-one see's anything wrong with this Pathetic excuse of a dub, then there is something very wrong here.
Old 2006-04-18, 16:59   Link #85
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
I guess i don't care becuase one Piece isn't my favorite anime. Gundam is my first love, even then i don't complain abotu editing. yugioh is my second and i don't complain about thier editing, and we all know that it was not the greatest ala guns= pointing fingers
Old 2006-04-18, 19:08   Link #86
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Who cares about pointing fingers....what was the excuse for cutting WHOLE STORY ARCS? They're short 30 FRIGGIN EPISODES.
Old 2006-04-18, 19:34   Link #87
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
yugioh is my second and i don't complain about thier editing, and we all know that it was not the greatest ala guns= pointing fingers
I used to like Yugioh. I didn't really see a problem with the pointing fingers actually (and not having seen the original). I thought the finger thing was fairly natural. Although when I saw the hammer gun in OP I instantly knew it was an edit. xD (not having seen the original at that point either)

Bakura rocks tho :>
Old 2006-04-18, 19:52   Link #88
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Bakura is the $hit...He's indeed a dope-a$$ character that carried that series...I think what's odd is that despite the editing in YuGioh it still has a sense of integrity to it, but for some reason 4kids butchers One Piece 100 times worse...I mean it's like an idiot's task to even take on something like One Piece and even want to edit it..I truley think 4kids didn't do their homework at all, just bought a show they saw in shonen jump and thought they could bank on it...They then watched it and was like "Holy $hit" what did we buy?" Then they were forced to butcher the hell outta it to keep with their craptastic christian standards or whatever and are probably spending more money on editing the show then they ever imagined...But unfortuantley they are most likely making enuff on their returns not to scrap the whole project...It has an awesome timeslot on Toonami which makes matters even worse because it's gonna bull$hit good enuff numbers...And that's just a shame, because I don't think anything is gonna change...
Old 2006-06-30, 03:10   Link #89
standforme2002

Hello. New member here. I started waching One piece a little after cartoon network started airing it. I was starting to like it more and more until the episode when Luffy was fighting with vivi about going to fight crocodile. I thought the whole scene (as well as other parts of the episode) just seemed wierd. I didn't know Luffy was capable of deep thougt like that . So anyway I looked around the internet for one piece info and eventualy started downloading the dubs after the last anime episodes. I have to say there is a remarkable difference between "4losers" edited version and the pure fan subs. I mean, holy crap. Whole plot points and overall depth in the series gets screwed around by 4kids. It's pretty rediculous. I'm no die hard fan by any means, but even I can see how horrible 4kids is for what they're doing to what I feel is a great series. They should be hanged...

Also, I think funimation would do a GREAT job with the series instead. I was a big fan of DB and DBZ (not DBGT), I loved the series. I think One piece has a very similar feel to it, and Funimation could do a much much better job of keeping the true feeling and depth of One piece. I wouldn't mind seeing One Piece being cut for a while, and redone/aired by Funimation. I would hate to see such a great series BUTCHERED any further.
Old 2006-06-30, 15:49   Link #90
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I agree. Funimation would have been better. Funimation agrees too, they thought they were going to get One Piece. Welcome to the world of enlightened non-4kids watchers. ^^
Old 2006-06-30, 16:43   Link #91
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

What Chuixupu said. Funimation has learned from its mistakes while 4kids continues to act like an alzheimer's patient.
Old 2006-06-30, 16:51   Link #92
Calca
Expressionless

I actually watched some japanese Yugioh.

I have to say, for a series deemed "kiddy" in the States, the plotline is pretty hardcore in Japan. Also, the music is incredible. I love the Japanese "Seal of Orichalcos" theme.

4Kids completely messed everything up with anything they get their hands on. They also seem proud of the fact. I remember ANN posted an interview and the impression I got out of it was the 4Kids guy was giving a middle finger to the anime community.
Old 2006-06-30, 16:58   Link #93
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

And anyone who dislikes pedophilia.
Old 2006-06-30, 20:54   Link #94
MonkeyD.Luffy
Kaizoku'O

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyD.Luffy Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyD.Luffy
ive had my disagreements with Chuixupu but i would have to agree the dubs should be burned and the ashes locked in a box and shot in to the sun.

the only dubs worth anything are trigun and cowboy bebop in which case bebop was better than the originals. kenshin was iffy.....it had its moments.

but calling zoro zolo and crap like that is uncalled for and trace! who the feck is trace! whats so hard about keeping ACE!!!!

just watch, we have seen what they do to one piece and (omg save my soul) naruto *shivers*, watch what they do to bleach.

they are going to take away his bankai just cause it has the manji which looks like the damn nazi sign. (like ace's tattoo) and all that blood T_T don't replace it with sweat.

dubbers should be shot where they stand. any that survive should be shot again.

BELIEVE IT! <==worst thing ever created and its a anime phenom in america.......god has forsaken us
Old 2006-06-30, 21:15   Link #95
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Good thing Bleach is gonna on be on Adult Swim it seems.
Old 2006-06-30, 21:32   Link #96
MonkeyD.Luffy
Kaizoku'O

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyD.Luffy Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyD.Luffy
really??? well they'll take the manji off anyways. lol
Old 2006-06-30, 22:18   Link #97
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Maybe, maybe not. I guess that Adult Swim at leat allow a great show to have an ep where a still living Martin Luther King Jr. says the N-word so many times, but it was done in a good rhetoric context with a message to it rather than just simply being offensive, probably could give you some hope. Man, I need to watch some more Boondocks.
Old 2006-06-30, 22:35   Link #98
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I can understand people geting pi$$ed with "Zolo", but they can't call him Zoro because that is the name of a licensed character...And since Oda has confirmed that he named him Zoro purposely in honor of the character "Zorro" the show can be sued by using that likeness...Now I won't defend anything else about this travesty of a show, but that's the one thing they had to do unless they wanted to pay the Zorro family unlimited residuals from the show...

Yu-gi-oh is the only 4kids project that has any level of decency IMO, I actually even like the english music track...While the Japanese tracks are good they are extremely gloomy and dark in some instances where in the dub it is more energetic and fun...That's just IMO...The scenes they cut out while it's aggravating it doesn't really butcher the plot much...I mean not seeing Joey punch Yugi isn't as important as making it seem like Nami has the "Grand-line Flu" or whatever ... 4kids just f*cked up..They didn't know One Piece was that violent, they just thought they could get a quick DBZ-like merchendising deal with an action show...Now there editors are paying the price with bleeding brush hands...

And Boondocks is dope because the episodes vary from straight comedy, to analytical brilliance, to sending messages....
Old 2006-07-01, 01:38   Link #99
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I can understand people geting pi$$ed with "Zolo", but they can't call him Zoro because that is the name of a licensed character...
They had perfect right to use Zoro....Viz did for four volumes until 4kids came around and decided to use Zolo. Zoro is not the problem, it's Shueisha catering to 4kids and trademarking Zolo that caused the problem. Which makes me dislike it more.

Quote:
And since Oda has confirmed that he named him Zoro purposely in honor of the character "Zorro"
It wouldn't surprise me, but when did he say that?

Quote:
the show can be sued by using that likeness...
Nope...because you can't copyright names. And trademarks leave a lot of room for variation. "Roronoa Zoro" is different enough, and the character is different enough that it doesn't matter. Again, it's all a money issue between Shueisha and 4kids and their decision to trademark Roronoa Zolo rather than Zoro.
Old 2006-07-01, 01:39   Link #100
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

What Chuixupu said.
Closed Thread