AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-11, 01:11   Link #1
marin

Why do so many groups size their encodes just so they *don't* fit on a CD? [PhA] [XF]

Hello PhA, Kaliedo Star, eps 1-4 730 MB, eps 5-8 750 MB, etc.

Thank you, just barely enough to NOT FIT on a CD

Hello XF, Puchi Puri Yuushi, eps 1-4 750 MB, etc.

Why do you do this?
Old 2004-02-11, 01:25   Link #2
GipFace

Well ...

Some groups do it to discourage archival. Anyway, just cut the ops from the files it it bothers you. There should be no encoding quality loss.

I had to do THIS in order to fit XF's PPY on to one DVD ...
Old 2004-02-11, 01:34   Link #3
DekaMaster
Banned

Just use mp3's as filler. I find it odd that people complain that fansubbing groups don't make things the right size. I mean come on you are getting a free fansub.
Old 2004-02-11, 01:54   Link #4
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Because the leechers work so hard clicking bittorrent links and typing fserver triggers. The fansubbers work to please the leechers! And from the looks of it, marin is not pleased.
Old 2004-02-11, 02:05   Link #5
flammie
White Dragon

I can think of 2 possible reasons:

1. They could care less if it fits on a cd or not, as long as it meets their standard of quality.

2. They hate you and want to see you pissed off at not being able to fit 4 eps on a cd.
Old 2004-02-11, 02:19   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
Some groups do it to discourage archival. Anyway, just cut the ops from the files it it bothers you. There should be no encoding quality loss.

I had to do THIS in order to fit XF's PPY on to one DVD ...
I've always wondered about this. Seems to make sense, but I doubt that would stop anyone from archiving. Plus it seems like too much trouble to go through when they could get the same result by just encoding without worrying about file size. When it's way off I've always assumed the group didn't really care, and when it's only a few mb off (ie 706mb) that they either couldn't control the size accurately enough, or added the file sizes wrong. what I do then is either zip the files to get the extra few mb or put an episode of a crappy series on instead. Usually I can find something that fits.
Still most fansub groups are pretty good at fitting their releases to cd.
Old 2004-02-11, 02:39   Link #7
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Bah, with the advent of vbr and aq control algorithms, the encoder can request a size for the final encode.

Most groups whose encodes are over the magical 350, 233, 175, 140, 113 or whatever sizes do so either because they screwed up when inputting the size (happens, I usually encode smaller on next ep to make up) or do so as a policy to prevent archiving as was previously mentioned.

That by itself is all fine, especially considering storage is dirt cheap, 10 cent cds anyone? However, I personally do adhere to the principle of not having fansubs and dvd releases compete. To do so by making a file 180 mb is just cruel though. It's better to encode at sub dvd quality, which all groups do either willingly or unknowingly, and encourage viewers to purchase the dvds for better video. Some will say that getting dvd quality from tv rip is impossible but I say "dust".
Old 2004-02-11, 02:47   Link #8
marin

Okay, but if you're going to discourage CD backup why not just make them any kind size?

I mean just make it 200 or 300 if it needs to be (lots of motion or whatever), why skimp and make it *just over* 700MB total?

And with XF's PPY for example, they fit but only from episode 13 on... what's going on there?
Old 2004-02-11, 02:52   Link #9
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

They found a more competent encoder perhaps. And didn't we already discuss that having the file just over a certain mark pisses people off the most?
Old 2004-02-11, 04:27   Link #10
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
How old are these episodes? Before XVid came out it was slightly harder to make sure you got 175 megs.
And sometimes the encoder just isn't bothered, or doesn't want to take more quality off for a 175 meg encode. Those extra 10 megs do make a diffrence :P
Old 2004-02-11, 11:35   Link #11
kuru

I don't even worry about the "problem" because of 2 things:

1 - CD-R's are cheap;

2 - I don't burn the entire CD at once, anyway. With the amount of series I collect (basically everything being fansubbed even if I don't have the time now to watch them) I don't have enough hard drive space to wait until I have files enough to fit a CD to burn it. As soon as I get an episode I burn it and later I continue the CD. 175 Mbytes episodes mean nothing for. The extra space needed for multisession means I won't put four episodes in a CD.
Old 2004-02-11, 11:55   Link #12
GipFace

T3h 2nd reply.

I've always wondered about this. Seems to make sense, but I doubt that would stop anyone from archiving.

It still discourages archival. I mean, you have a perfect example with marin. The oversizing did its job. <_<

And with XF's PPY for example, they fit but only from episode 13 on... what's going on there?

Were you talking about my example? I only needed to cut enough ops from enough openings so that the whole series fits on one DVD. The odd episodes in between that still have their op used VBR audio and I didn't want to be bothered to cut the ops from those because it's trickier.
Old 2004-02-11, 20:05   Link #13
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Since fansubs aren't supposed to replace you buying the DVDs, I don't see why encoders should have to make it *easier* to archive at the cost of quality.
Old 2004-02-12, 00:24   Link #14
PiePants

Talking

the 'quality size' argument doesn't work because every ep can be some sort of number divisable by 700 (why not 650 or 790?), like 350. 350's a nice number for an episode. What other number is good for a 700 meg cd? 100 megs? That's a terrible size limitation. 150 will result in 100 megs of spare crap. That's annoying, but so what? So will 200.

Burning to DVD-Rs is just a nightmare. 4.7 gigs is just such an ambigious number. Some animes go over 4.7 gigs, and some are like two gigs. God help you if an anime is 2.5 gigs in size. Should fansubbers take all this into account? Screw that.

Let's all make every episode of anime 700 megs to please the leechers. I think that's a good compromise, except for those DVD burners (500 megs of spare unused nonsense 1?!@11). Screw them
Old 2004-02-12, 01:25   Link #15
LArSON
leecher wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to LArSON
I want the 26 eps. series to fit in one DVD. With 175mo/eps. the 4.38gb limit it's surrpassed with very little. It would be better to do 170mo/ep to please both CD-R and DVD-R fans But i guess we shouldn't complain that much!
Old 2004-02-12, 01:47   Link #16
Spyre
"Soon"

I do this on purpose. My fansubs were made to be watched, enjoyed, then deleted. A substitute for it airing on TV if you want to think of it like that. However if you like the series so much that you want to see it again, you should buy the R2's or wait until R1's are released (like they ALWAYS are these days).
Old 2004-02-12, 02:02   Link #17
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

That's a great reason Spyre. Too bad other people are pissed off because of that. Also, it might cause fewer people to download your release, but you don't care about that do you?
Old 2004-02-12, 07:30   Link #18
Hisoka44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LArSON
I want the 26 eps. series to fit in one DVD. With 175mo/eps. the 4.38gb limit it's surrpassed with very little. It would be better to do 170mo/ep to please both CD-R and DVD-R fans But i guess we shouldn't complain that much!
really we don't care if its fit or not, watch and delete. if you can do it in another way do that then and stop complain. What you want is really not a option, watch and shut up
Old 2004-02-12, 08:21   Link #19
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
what's the point of complaining about the size, the only result it could have would be the complete stop off fansubs.
It's like asking to have a release with OP/ED and one without. or one with yellow subs, to watch on the computer screen, and one with white subs to watch on a tv!!
QUALITY PRIMES!
Old 2004-02-12, 08:53   Link #20
u&t

I want the fansubbers to personally deliver their fansubs to my home on preburnt dvd's no later than 12 hours after the show is aired in japan.

Then I wan't the fansubber to clean my apartment and make me dinner while I watch the release. Did I mention they should all be naked, female and good looking?

This never happens though. My guess is these fansubbers are all hoplessly imperfect creatures. They don't seem to care much for my feelings at all. I've started to suspect that they don't do what they do to please me at all. It's like they do these fansubs just for themselves. Them fansubbers are all selfish bastards!
Closed Thread