AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-02-08, 02:55   Link #101
magnuskn

Yeah, this episode killed my interest in the series. Dropped. Still got 10 other shows this season going on and it seems only Benriya-san is in danger of getting also dropped, so my week is pretty full overall.
Old 2023-02-08, 08:19   Link #102
Magewolf

This was like one of those after-school specials about the importance of math but with worse animation and a less plausible story-line.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-08, 13:27   Link #103
Tenzen12

Whe Animation was indeed very bad, there was nothing really unplausible about. There was explanation present and it made perfect sense.
Old 2023-02-08, 18:00   Link #104
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Whe Animation was indeed very bad, there was nothing really unplausible about. There was explanation present and it made perfect sense.
Forcing adventurers to learn math isn't really a plausible explanation... I mean Curran could obviously do 1+1 and Claudine should have been able to solve everything without help to begin with.
I mean why would an adventurer need anything more complicated than plus minus, multiplication and division?
Heck, the majority of people nowadays don't need anything more than that and they force tons of useless shit like curve discussions into us at school. But that is NOW, in a medieval world you wouldn't need that, unless you are perhaps an architect. So, it's useless to adventurers.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-08, 19:05   Link #105
Tenzen12

Oh yeah because medieval people were all stupid and didn't have anything to use math for. Oh Wait, according to you even present people are stupid and have no clue how to use math for daily life. Not to mention fantasy worlds have many modern elements including this one (not that it matters, because it's never about whether math is useful, but only whether you KNOW how to use).
Old 2023-02-08, 20:33   Link #106
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
I was so worried Claudine was going to be forgiven for everything when they showed her sad backstory...
Ditto. When she was whining about not being a bad person originally, I was thinking who the hell cares? What you do in the present is what matters.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-08, 20:42   Link #107
scififan

Well, universities are founded during the middle age Europe in the form of guilds. Besides teaching Greek classics, universities also taught mathematics. One notable adventurer form that time and place is Leonardo of Pisa(later known as Fibonacci). Since Leonardo introduced Hindu-Arabic numeral to Europe, abacus is falling out favors among merchants. The merchants had calculation competition for abacus and and Hindu-Arabic numeral, and Hindu-Arabic numeral won every time.

In the anime, the magician is the dropout of the university-like institution and the priest is qualified to teach. So, they ought to know math. They really want to make the competition hard by using the dragon girl who has no institutional training. The party could cheat better since they can communicate secretly due to the holy sword's mental skill, as demonstrated in the previous episode. Instead, they are stubborn(?) by trying fight fair and square.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-08, 21:27   Link #108
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Forcing adventurers to learn math isn't really a plausible explanation... I mean Curran could obviously do 1+1 and Claudine should have been able to solve everything without help to begin with.
I mean why would an adventurer need anything more complicated than plus minus, multiplication and division?
Heck, the majority of people nowadays don't need anything more than that and they force tons of useless shit like curve discussions into us at school. But that is NOW, in a medieval world you wouldn't need that, unless you are perhaps an architect. So, it's useless to adventurers.

Raising the standard of Adventurers probably. Curran's lack of education was part of what screwed her over. It also mitigates the disadvantage of whoever is biggest by allowing whoever is smartest to get in blows first based on the scores.
Old 2023-02-09, 10:15   Link #109
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Raising the standard of Adventurers probably. Curran's lack of education was part of what screwed her over. It also mitigates the disadvantage of whoever is biggest by allowing whoever is smartest to get in blows first based on the scores.
It's not whoever is smartest, it is whoever gets picked at random. Either make it whoever is dueling in the first place or if you are pulling the whole team in make everyone do it.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-09, 12:00   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Well, universities are founded during the middle age Europe in the form of guilds. Besides teaching Greek classics, universities also taught mathematics. One notable adventurer form that time and place is Leonardo of Pisa(later known as Fibonacci). Since Leonardo introduced Hindu-Arabic numeral to Europe, abacus is falling out favors among merchants. The merchants had calculation competition for abacus and and Hindu-Arabic numeral, and Hindu-Arabic numeral won every time.

In the anime, the magician is the dropout of the university-like institution and the priest is qualified to teach. So, they ought to know math. They really want to make the competition hard by using the dragon girl who has no institutional training. The party could cheat better since they can communicate secretly due to the holy sword's mental skill, as demonstrated in the previous episode. Instead, they are stubborn(?) by trying fight fair and square.
It was a sting operation to catch cheaters. Cheating themselves, when they know there is greater scrutiny, wouldn't have been good.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-09, 23:22   Link #111
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While it seems pretty stupid, I kind of get the idea for it. All the more so if it's a skill that they wouldn't normally focus on since it doesn't directly assist in fighting monsters. Might keep idiots from picking fights if they aren't equipped to handle them. And since selections are random it's just not worth picking fights anyways.

Thankfully they didn't go full forgiveness for Claudine. Of course her situation sucked and it's a pretty terrifying scenario of having to run from home before getting sold off by her parents. But she had chances to realize she was going off the right path. Maybe making some bad choices were unavoidable. But she had chances before it reached this point. The episode showed that she had talents. Heck that group would have probably won the fight if things had been played fair.

But they did cheat and they got what they deserved. No breaks should be given. Just the option for them to learn from their mistakes if they choose to.
Old 2023-02-12, 20:03   Link #112
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
What screwed Curran over wasn't math, but her former teammates. She had absolutely no reason to doubt them either.

The whole premise would only make sense if you took the least math talented people on either team to force them to study. However, instead they get picked at random. In other words it could have as well been Claudine vs Priest guy, and given the education medieval priests enjoyed, he would have obliterated her. Same with the computer sword....

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2023-02-14, 11:32   Link #113
scififan

Even the side characters lost faith in human.

The idol singer's boyfriend turns out to be a scum, and he looks as he's coming from a random NTR manga. The tiger guy lost faith in human long time ago. He can smells the scent of deceit, a funny JoJo reference.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-14, 15:59   Link #114
grecefar

yeah, I think it was a bad taste to give the pure, kind and beautiful idol a scum boyfriend just like that, she should be careful since if her fans knows there is going to be hell for her. But I can see her breaking up with him in the next chapter and fell in love with nick/tiana fusion.

anyway, that was a cool fusion again. Zen is the last one and I don't think we will get to see others since is nick who is holding the sword but I still hope to see a curan/tiana fusion.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-14, 16:58   Link #115
Tenzen12

I don't think that guy is lost cause though. He is looser but he seem to genuinely like her enough to run in front of enraged beast with bit of encouragement... or maybe for her money, but Tianna is not wrong sometime you can hit jackpot by betting on black horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
What screwed Curran over wasn't math, but her former teammates. She had absolutely no reason to doubt them either.

The whole premise would only make sense if you took the least math talented people on either team to force them to study. However, instead they get picked at random. In other words it could have as well been Claudine vs Priest guy, and given the education medieval priests enjoyed, he would have obliterated her. Same with the computer sword....
What screwed her was she letting others decide everything for her and just doing whatever was told her to do. and if she had more critical thinking she could have notice red flags and there certainly were more then few.

Also how do you decide "least talented" person in party? Giving them math test to see who should do math test? If it's random then it's obvious least talented person gonna have to study anyway.
Old 2023-02-15, 02:26   Link #116
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

When are they gonna start saving the world?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-15, 03:42   Link #117
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think that guy is lost cause though. He is looser but he seem to genuinely like her enough to run in front of enraged beast with bit of encouragement... or maybe for her money, but Tianna is not wrong sometime you can hit jackpot by betting on black horse.

What screwed her was she letting others decide everything for her and just doing whatever was told her to do. and if she had more critical thinking she could have notice red flags and there certainly were more then few.

Also how do you decide "least talented" person in party? Giving them math test to see who should do math test? If it's random then it's obvious least talented person gonna have to study anyway.
Yes, a math test is actually a good option. Also, most people wouldn't randomly study math, and instead do it when they actually need it. As Curran's own example has shown btw..

Also, again, Curran had no reason to doubt her former teammates up to that point.

The only sketchy point in their relationship we were shown was right before she got betrayed, and that behavior was still really normal as she acted as their tank. - At least going by whoever said she Two Hand tanks earlier.
And as preposterous as two hand tanking, especially without armor, is, sending the tank in alone first to gather aggro for a few moments is completely normal.

Old 2023-02-15, 06:29   Link #118
Tenzen12

That was sarcasm. If you used math test before duel, duel itself would be redundant (not to mention faking bad score to get smartest person do it later would be much easier then faking good ones). You are also wrong that Karan had no reason to doubt her teammates. It's pretty wild claim there wasn't any reasons. Sure uanime didn’t show any obvious red flags but that doesn't proves anything as we didn’t see what their party dynamics were before. Well you didn't see anything as you only watch anime, but even if novel didn’t exist that proves you wrong, absence of evidence still wouldn't be evidence of absence.
Old 2023-02-17, 00:24   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad episode. But somehow still felt like a waste. The Evolutionary sword seems a bit too interesting to just get sealed away. But I guess that's just how it goes. Also feels awkward to return the tiger guy back to jail. Things spiraled out of control because that system is so corrupt someone could go around torturing their prisoners to try and get their hands on illegal goods. I mean yeah he still had a desire to pick a fight with Nick, but not sure he would have actually acted on that without that guard giving him some pretty good reasons to do something then and there.

The combo with Curran feels like it was overall stronger. I'd say that's because their opponent was stronger here, but as if the previous opponent was overly weak. But this show isn't exactly putting enough budget into it to really have action as its strength so maybe they couldn't do more than a few cute ice spells before the playing cards finished things off.

I guess it's nice that the idol's boyfriend isn't just with her for the money . I suppose they were together before her career took off. Maybe something like jealousy over her being way more successful or something. Guess we'll see if she takes the choice to leave him behind or keep betting on that long shot. Considering he didn't abandon her in that crisis...I think she'll stay with him. But who knows.
Old 2023-02-18, 21:47   Link #120
Alchemist007
*Author

Amazing, no one died, not even this guy:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?