Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2024-02-03, 10:23   Link #781
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
On the other hand, this one I have to disagree with.
I said "money pit" -- you can't seriously believe that the Answer Reload is going to be less than $29.99 USD plus whatever other cosmetic DLC is lined up.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 11:28   Link #782
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok I finally got my ears on the soundtrack and I'm sorry but... this is terrible! There's really no two ways about it, this isn't a taste thing, the new recordings are technically bad. I don't know if the singers were phoning it in, if the producer(s) were asleep in the recording booth, or if the edit screwed it all up, but I'd venture a guess it's a bit of all three.

I guess it finally happened. A piece of Persona media came out with flat out bad music. Tactica was forgetable, but at least it was decent. Reload is bad. And I don't think I'm being overly harsh, what happened to When Moon's Reaching Out Stars is genuinely hard to listen to.

I would say Atlus should have taken an extra 6 months to finish this but I think it's not a lack of time but taste. And the rest of the game also hasn't felt much better to me. I dare say it feels a bit soulless.

If this sells enough to justify Atlus spending the money on a FeMC route remake I'll be eating my words (and be severely disappointed in humanity's overall lack of taste)
Old 2024-02-03, 12:45   Link #783
grecefar

Wishful thinking that with the remake they would tweak the ending a little

Had to wait the answer for that.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 17:44   Link #784
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the successor Persona games have a FeMC right? So not exactly a focus for ATLUS here.
Not quite.

P4G had Marie, P5R had Kasumi.

While they're not coming with MC title, the way their stories written clearly based on target audience response to P3 FMC.
You can see Marie is not taking MC status but part of the plot, which originally criticism toward P3 FMC canon status. Then you have Kasumi who is part of the gang, added one to two qualities Marie fixed before. When people finished P5R there were some speculated if Kasumi originally intended as FMC with Maruki as her final boss due to similarities of her attires and background with Joker, also her absence in Strikers.

So Atlus definitely not giving up on idea of playable FMC via append. If Reload make it to FMC DLC, I'd say P6 append will coming with someone, an upgrade from Kasumi.
Well, to begin with Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, which is append to Persona 2 Innocent Sin, have FMC and I'm not surprised if Atlus used it as basis to make Persona more appealing in future.
Old 2024-02-04, 10:22   Link #785
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Not quite.

P4G had Marie, P5R had Kasumi.

While they're not coming with MC title, the way their stories written clearly based on target audience response to P3 FMC.
You can see Marie is not taking MC status but part of the plot, which originally criticism toward P3 FMC canon status. Then you have Kasumi who is part of the gang, added one to two qualities Marie fixed before. When people finished P5R there were some speculated if Kasumi originally intended as FMC with Maruki as her final boss due to similarities of her attires and background with Joker, also her absence in Strikers.

So Atlus definitely not giving up on idea of playable FMC via append. If Reload make it to FMC DLC, I'd say P6 append will coming with someone, an upgrade from Kasumi.
Well, to begin with Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, which is append to Persona 2 Innocent Sin, have FMC and I'm not surprised if Atlus used it as basis to make Persona more appealing in future.
Can't comment on Marie as I never played P4G, but we talking about the same Kasumi in P5R? The same Kasumi that wasn't even a mention in Tactica? Loved her character in P5R, but ATLUS couldn't even be bothered to add her beyond DLC material. Kinda grasping at straws here. Been 15 years since P3P and the last time there was a choice between a playable male or female MC.

Also your argument is that ATLUS is going to use a game from the...90s to make modern Persona games more appealing in the future?

Quote:
Ok I finally got my ears on the soundtrack and I'm sorry but... this is terrible! There's really no two ways about it, this isn't a taste thing, the new recordings are technically bad. I don't know if the singers were phoning it in, if the producer(s) were asleep in the recording booth, or if the edit screwed it all up, but I'd venture a guess it's a bit of all three.

I guess it finally happened. A piece of Persona media came out with flat out bad music. Tactica was forgetable, but at least it was decent. Reload is bad. And I don't think I'm being overly harsh, what happened to When Moon's Reaching Out Stars is genuinely hard to listen to.

I would say Atlus should have taken an extra 6 months to finish this but I think it's not a lack of time but taste. And the rest of the game also hasn't felt much better to me. I dare say it feels a bit soulless.

If this sells enough to justify Atlus spending the money on a FeMC route remake I'll be eating my words (and be severely disappointed in humanity's overall lack of taste)
Sheesh did someone do bad things to your cereal this morning or what? My only real "complaint" with the music so far is that I much prefer the vocals of Yumi Kawamura versus the new singer Azumi Takahashi. Not that Azumi is a bad singer, but hey my nostalgia is for the Yumi vocals. Though Azumi is growing on me the more I listen to it. For better or worse, all the tracks I've heard so far has the vibes of P3. So yeah definitely a taste thing. Oh that and I don't get to hear Mass Destruction all that much since I almost always go for the preemptive attack. Definitely a minus!

Oh well definitely a "you" thing. I mean all your arguments so far have been subjective "feels" so it tracks? Though shame you didn't like it. Unless the story jumped the shark somewhere I haven't gotten to yet, P3R is objectively the better game. Did the most important thing it had to do which is to update P3 to modern Persona gameplay mechanics. The fact that it looks good and sounds good is just a bonus. Maybe you'll have one less bone to pick with the game if they eventually add an OST toggle down the road?
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-04, 18:06   Link #786
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
Also your argument is that ATLUS is going to use a game from the...90s to make modern Persona games more appealing in the future?
I don't think its too far of a reach, Maruki conflict wouldn't relevant without "Kasumi" after all.
From other perspectives, the original Phantom Thieves are her party members.

Not to mention The Answer itself basically "Eternal Punishment" for P3.
Similar situation of previous female character take lead of party to deal with new problem, then learned what happened to previous MC, but on smaller scale.
If Atlus wanted to push it further by means of canon female MC with relatively similar importance to original MC and different Social Link, Eternal Punishment is the closest benchmark for them unless you have better name, another title from Atlus, to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Wishful thinking that with the remake they would tweak the ending a little
Spoiler for My friend said:
Old 2024-02-05, 07:59   Link #787
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
If Atlus wanted to push it further by means of canon female MC with relatively similar importance to original MC and different Social Link, Eternal Punishment is the closest benchmark for them unless you have better name, another title from Atlus, to do so.
...Persona 3 Portable? You know, the game that actually had a choice between a male or female MC? Had some unique social links if you go the female route? Was actually as important male MC since they are pretty much one and the same?

I mean it just sounds like you want a P2 remake?
Old 2024-02-05, 08:47   Link #788
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

So wait, the soundtrack that comes with the Steam version is an .exe with no way to export or extract MP3s? What the actual fuck Atlus. I was contemplating the Digital Premium edition but then I heard about this. The artbook is .exe too, which is just stupid.
Old 2024-02-05, 08:57   Link #789
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
So wait, the soundtrack that comes with the Steam version is an .exe with no way to export or extract MP3s? What the actual fuck Atlus. I was contemplating the Digital Premium edition but then I heard about this. The artbook is .exe too, which is just stupid.
Yeah. I also got hit by that "fun" detail when I went looking for the OST. There is a way to get the files out of the game though, someone posted a review on steam with instructions.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/...ended/2517310/
Old 2024-02-05, 18:54   Link #790
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Aren't the FeMC's social links included in Reload under another designation? I seem to remember them mentioning something like that prior to release. If that's the case, there is zero reason to release a FeMC route.

The reason they never included female MCs in P4 and P5 is simple: they learned from their mistakes and included Social Links for male teammates here. Thinking back, it's actually rather baffling thinking P3 had none. You can become close friends with random dudes but not your teammates? Wut?
Another reason they didn't go with female again is because I doubt the majority of Persona's fanbase cared about romancing guys.

IMO there will never be a female protagonist again.
Old 2024-02-05, 23:37   Link #791
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The reason they never included female MCs in P4 and P5 is simple: they learned from their mistakes and included Social Links for male teammates here.
Yeah but the male cast was a step down in both P4 and P5. And Kotone had rewritten social links with the girls too where you could be besties rather than romancing them.

IMO it worked in P3 because P3 has a bit more of a classic RPG cast at its core. I dunno how much of a role Persona had in this because its kind of the same in harems and dating sims but at some point or another it became impossible (in games with a social sim element) for secondary characters to have meaningful interactions with each other because that would make someone in the cast unavailable to the MC. Trails is probably worse but I digress; P4 and P5 were written in a way that the world really revolves around the MC, so a gender swap wouldn't make sense.
Old 2024-02-06, 02:15   Link #792
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
P4 and P5 were written in a way that the world really revolves around the MC, so a gender swap wouldn't make sense.
P4, sure, since one of it main theme is Izanagi and Izanami.

P5, OTOH, you can replace Joker with Violet, Shido with Maruki; tweak SL and dialogues for male-female lead differences, add "New Game" there you go.

Old 2024-02-06, 06:42   Link #793
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:

Remasters are cash cows these days. They can afford to mail it in on brand alone.

Quote:
Well, Konami actually released Metal Gear Solid games on Steam without keyboard being supported. They realised that people weren't buying it and 'eventually' changed that. Also, if you expect Atlus to make it easy to utilise/access assets, yeah...not happening. I'm guessing a streamer embargo is still enforced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Aren't the FeMC's social links included in Reload under another designation? I seem to remember them mentioning something like that prior to release. If that's the case, there is zero reason to release a FeMC route.

The reason they never included female MCs in P4 and P5 is simple: they learned from their mistakes and included Social Links for male teammates here. Thinking back, it's actually rather baffling thinking P3 had none. You can become close friends with random dudes but not your teammates? Wut?
Another reason they didn't go with female again is because I doubt the majority of Persona's fanbase cared about romancing guys.

IMO there will never be a female protagonist again.
I know plenty of females who play the Persona games. They would all do it with Tae for real and they have their own crushes in various directions. Not doing an FeMC is a bit of a missed opportunity. But not unexpected. Old habits die hard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I will never give Atlus more than $20US/$30AUS for a game. They don't deserve more than that. They're good but they're not that good and they play the fanbase for fools.
Old 2024-02-20, 00:11   Link #794
Twi

Looking at the playthroughs, yeah they "Persona 5'd" the crap out of this game. It's pleasing to the eyes but a bit of the somberness in the atmosphere feels drained.
Old 2024-02-20, 23:14   Link #795
MonkeyDude

Beat the game and I can safely say it did not jump the shark. Stuck the landing! Though can easily find things to nitpick if I really wanted to, but why would I do that? It made my P3 nostalgia a reality. Seriously. Graphics? Gameplay? Story? Time well spent.

Game is worth the shot if you like Persona games. If you played P3 before and actually liked it, then P3R won't disappoint. Unless you're looking for reasons to be disappointed by it? Just start on 'Hard' difficulty as the game is actually relatively easy. Then again easy is a relative term when you can grind.

Spoiler for Well...:
Old 2024-02-27, 09:17   Link #796
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finished it in 70 hours. Max Social Links first run. I suppose I managed it with some guide help for time maximization since I've played the 3 earlier versions so much I could probably play this version blindfolded.

Just in time for Rebirth in 2 days.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 13:49   Link #797
Twi

Here's your DLC:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-03-06, 13:53   Link #798
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Here's your DLC:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
What is the release date?
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 13:56   Link #799
MonkeyDude

To the surprise of no one, The Answer/Episode Aigis comes out as cut DLC content slated for a September 2024 release. And it appears to be included with Game Pass too!

Biggest question now is whether they'll include FeMC as an eventual final DLC for the complete P3R edition. My gut says yes considering how well the game sold plus big daddy Microsoft has deep pockets. Perhaps deep enough for the eventual P4 remake and perhaps even P6...
Old 2024-03-06, 14:29   Link #800
Twi

Adding FeMC would involve adding some of the Social Links specific to her, and probably editing Ken's considering that got weird by the end.

And no more P4 remakes. Golden exists. Remake 1 & 2 if anything.

Tags
ps2