AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-23, 00:06   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently, about 30,000 people will get stress test beta invites tonight. NDA agreements in effect, of course, so read it before yapping yer jaws.
Old 2013-07-23, 00:08   Link #42
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I hope I get my beta invite...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 00:08   Link #43
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Oh god, if anyone gets a beta key and doesn't want, please give it to me D:

Nevermind, got in!

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2013-07-23 at 07:02.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 17:55   Link #44
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The previously secret races of both factions...
Now with some lore on a key figure in each.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 22:40   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Going to stay well inside the NDA rules, I'll just say I was a bit underwhelmed with the relative sparseness of the knobs in character generation. It was almost "korean/asian" (3 of this, six of that).

INgame for about 20 minutes ... getting used to the UI and combat feel. I do like the animations (running, moves, etc)
Old 2013-07-25, 22:51   Link #46
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hehe it was just a stress test, not everything is done yet. If you tried creating a male Aurin you'd see they haven't finished the female aurin hair colors or what ever.

It's still pretty limited, but by no means terrible. Just gotta wait for full release to see it all. and Cash shop may have stuff in it as well. Just don't give P2W stuff ><
Old 2013-07-26, 12:21   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was on the forums afterward and it seems Carbine is already realizing they probably should have turned on more of the char-gen assets (bad first impression issues) because it distracted so many people. I have a little more time to mess with today's stress test and want to play more with the low level combat and quest protocols.
Old 2013-07-26, 21:08   Link #48
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Dammit, why didn't I get my beta invite.. QQ.
Old 2013-07-26, 22:22   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, it's pretty obviously very early beta. I wouldn't call what I'm doing "playing" so much as testing components and seeing what breaks. Already submitted two bug reports (minor items). Yeah, that's little consolation but I realize ... but each beta test will likely have more invites as they ramp up to full power.

I'm going to refrain from even mentioning what I tested today. The NDA could be read pretty broadly.
Old 2013-07-30, 12:32   Link #50
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Going to stay well inside the NDA rules, I'll just say I was a bit underwhelmed with the relative sparseness of the knobs in character generation. It was almost "korean/asian" (3 of this, six of that).

INgame for about 20 minutes ... getting used to the UI and combat feel. I do like the animations (running, moves, etc)
Isn't mentioning the fact that you're even in the beta a violation of the NDA...?
Old 2013-07-30, 13:19   Link #51
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
getting used to the UI and combat feel. I do like the animations (running, moves, etc)
Well WOW still has the best animations in an MMO easily, and seeing how this is ex-wow staff it's good to see they realize the importance of it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 13:41   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Isn't mentioning the fact that you're even in the beta a violation of the NDA...?
I'll reread the fine print but I didn't see that restriction. If so, I'll delete the posts but so it goes.
Old 2013-07-31, 15:19   Link #53
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well WOW still has the best animations in an MMO easily
...Seriously? Have you, like, not been keeping up with recent day MMOs or something?
Old 2013-08-03, 02:03   Link #54
Mr Hat and Clogs

Even most the modern MMOs these days aren't as fluid as WoW's animations/controls. Half the ones these days lock you in place while it does an animation, or things just feel clunky like there is some sort of disconnect between what you are doing and what you are seeing. Or on the opposite end they feel as floaty as all hell.
Old 2013-08-03, 02:05   Link #55
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
...Seriously? Have you, like, not been keeping up with recent day MMOs or something?
Do you like not know what animations are or something? Let me give you a hint, it's not something you can tell by a screenshot.

WoW's animation, fluidness, responsiveness and control shits on every other MMO out their. I really hope you don't think it isn't because it's old or something, lol @ something being old not having better animations than something newer, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike is a way better animated beast than something like the more recent Blazblue and KOF 13, and that game is 15 years old.
Old 2013-08-03, 04:32   Link #56
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Half the ones these days lock you in place while it does an animation, or things just feel clunky like there is some sort of disconnect between what you are doing and what you are seeing. Or on the opposite end they feel as floaty as all hell.
Animation locks are intentional in games without a global cooldown. That's how the game stops you from just mashing the entire keyboard at once.

WoW's animations are meh at best and I'd honestly much rather have animation locks than a global cooldown. I prefer more active gameplay to turning my fingers into a human drinking bird. Not very happy Yoshi-P decided to go with something so stale and outdated for ARR... tab-target needs to die and the sooner the better.
Old 2013-08-03, 04:40   Link #57
Westlo
Lets be reality

I've like never tab targeted in a fight that matters, re pvp. Tab targeting is like keyboard turning lol.
Old 2013-08-04, 04:46   Link #58
Mr Hat and Clogs

Intentional or not they are clunky as hell. I'd also say it's hardly any more interactive, I'd argue that it makes it less interactive since it takes control away from the player - even if only for a short amount of time. Perhaps it is only because I'm in Australia, but anything that takes control away is incredibly noticeable.

Also, I don't see what tab-targetting has to do with what I said. Targeting is a whole different issue. Personally I prefer the games where you cant 'lock' onto a target like WoW, I'd much prefer something like FPS games or some of the newer MMO's which require you to actually properly position yourself and aim.
Old 2013-08-04, 08:14   Link #59
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

It's too bad none of us here have any idea how hard it is to make a game.

and heres the thing about MMO's without tab targeting. Latency .. even a little delay in TERA meant you are not going to go to end game. It destroys PVP for anyone as well.

Go play a skill shot champion in LoL with a 1 split second delay on your skills and stuff.

Anyway, Just sayin... you guys are bashing tab targeting etc too much.
Old 2013-08-04, 17:57   Link #60
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I call BS on that because I've always been quite laggy in TERA (pings ranging from 150-220ms in dungeons) and yet I still managed to clear every dungeon in the game, including Manaya's Core. Latency doesn't hurt the active combat as much as people like to think it does. I think it's mostly an excuse the industry has latched onto because they don't want to actually have to think about encounter design differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Also, I don't see what tab-targetting has to do with what I said. Targeting is a whole different issue. Personally I prefer the games where you cant 'lock' onto a target like WoW, I'd much prefer something like FPS games or some of the newer MMO's which require you to actually properly position yourself and aim.
"Tab-target combat" is the widely-accepted industry slang term for WoW's combat and other combat systems like it.

TERA, Vindictus and Dragon's Nest have "action combat," where while you can select an enemy to see its health bar, you still have to aim at it in order to hit it, and both you and your enemy can move or use a dodge ability to avoid being hit.

Better names would be "passive combat" for games like WoW, SWTOR and RIFT, where the vast majority of your effectiveness comes from passive statistics and traits (i.e. gear, talent spec, etc).

While games like TERA would be "active combat," where your ability to hit enemies or not get hit by enemies is something you have to actively do rather than rely on random number generators rolling for attack or dodge in the background.

Tags
mmorpg