AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-23, 21:51   Link #2641
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
goro, kokoro and even ichigo while somehow they are "generic" i really liked they role so far and was good
I really like Goro but he's just a good bro. That's his whole characterization. And Ichigo's the generic childhood friend with an unrequited love.

Quote:
they really did a good job in take the aproach here on that things and not just the "generic romance love triangle" you actually get some "real relationship steps" here what was good
The "romance" was terrible until these last episodes.
Old 2018-04-23, 22:09   Link #2642
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
This show isn't plot-driven. It's character-driven.
Why can't it be both? Why did the production team decide that the characters should be explored in the expense of the plot? (They're not even giving certain characters enough dimension either, see Futoshi.) In that case, Franxx might as well be another Kiznaiver.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 00:12   Link #2643
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
My Japanese isn't that great but I can tell you that literal monster vs. figurative "monster" plays pretty much the same in Japanese as it would in English.

At no point does Hiro really give a crap that 02 is a literal monster; he does however think 02 may be playing him and could be as horrible of a person (entity?) as everyone makes her out to be.
Well, I don't mean it just figuratively either.

He's been hearing all those stories about her from very beginning of the show, but he came to accepted her because he has seen how emotionally vulnerable she actually is. This is main reason he managed to get through in ep 6 at all, and ep 14-15 felt like a bit like retread of this narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
When it comes to 02, the line between literal monster and figurative monster is blurred, specially from Hiro's point of view. He was afraid of her and hesitated despite his feelings.

This episode is about Hiro saying to himself "fuck it, I don't care if she's a monster, I love her all the same." And it's about 02 saying to herself "fuck it, I don't care if I'm a monster, Hiro loves me all the same so I will accept myself the way I am."

It was a pretty good episode.
For what is worth, I liked ep15 in a vacuum if you removed the lead up to it and if it came mostly from episode 13. "Hiro's I'm scared of 02 again" doesn't work because not something that is empathized and consistent unlike 02's development me I did like the moment of reconciliation with all it's corn.

Quote:
It's not like the character work was flawless though. It actually was generally mediocre with only a few interesting moments like the whole dynamic between Kokoro and Mitsuru, and these latest episodes with 02 and Hiro.
Shame that Ikuno is practically irrelevant after her one moment in the spotlight. Even then it told us virtually nothing about her other than she is lesbian and that's her whole character. I supposed in such a very heteronarrative show she is rather doomed to loneliness due to her preference, but DIF doesn't bother expand her characterization beyond that bit to at least give her a role contribute something other than being saddled with Futoshi, another character who doesn't have anything else going for him other than he, likes to eat a lot and, crushes Kokoro, "just because". I mean while being note individual strong on their own at least Zorome and Miku are kinda of entertaining together as the go to comic relief duo. Maybe this will change in the next episodes, but my expectations will remain low with the supposed plot ramping up.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 00:22   Link #2644
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
To those who think that the story has been "wasteful" in showing what it wanted to show, which episodes do you think could have been pruned to make room for the actual focus of the story?
List of episodes which could’ve been used better:
  1. Beach episode
  2. Boys vs. gals episode
  3. Goro’s unrequited love episode
  4. The episodes in the snowy region (could’ve used more world-building here and there)
  5. Episode 14 (the entire thing is basically just a melodrama padding)

A real good writer can easily do that IMO.
Old 2018-04-24, 00:59   Link #2645
Blueknight78

[QUOTE=Kazu-kun;6228604]I really like Goro but he's just a good bro. That's his whole characterization. And Ichigo's the generic childhood friend with an unrequited love.
[quote]
that was why i told which they while they whre generic, i liked how they where "used here" it was good at last for me even if i'm not fan of that sort of drama" it really worked as they wanted.

Quote:
The "romance" was terrible until these last episodes.
well it not was for me, maybe the love triangle but i feel it was more like my personal dislike rater than really terrible and as i told what i really liked was the "aproach" to relationships" not the romance teen drama, but how they used that to portrait how relationships normally work in real life, that i really liked.

That is why even having a lot of "generic" and somehow bad things it really worked well because they used it pass something "different" and more interesting than just a "generic drama-romance" many parts of it where really interesting at last for me and based on how popular the serie is it worked on overal.
Old 2018-04-24, 02:15   Link #2646
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
When it comes to 02, the line between literal monster and figurative monster is blurred, specially from Hiro's point of view. He was afraid of her and hesitated despite his feelings.

This episode is about Hiro saying to himself "fuck it, I don't care if she's a monster, I love her all the same." And it's about 02 saying to herself "fuck it, I don't care if I'm a monster, Hiro loves me all the same so I will accept myself the way I am."

It was a pretty good episode.
Why does 02 have to "accept" that she is a "monster"? That doesn't mesh well. Why can't 02 grow and become a better person like any human being?

She acts like a human in almost every way other than her lack of consideration for people she uses and/or steps on (and let us be honest here, there are people in the real world who are like this). I don't see why she can't change that. Do you look down on her that much?

To me it's not about Hiro "not caring that she is a monster". It's simply the fact that he loves her and thinks they can work it out together. Nowhere did I sense that he is now suddenly okay with it if she gets violent against his friends again.

What he did gain from this was his need to question things. Nothing bad about that though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 02:19   Link #2647
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Why does 02 have to "accept" that she is a "monster"? That doesn't mesh well. Why can't 02 grow and become a better person like any human being?
Person doesn't equal human. 02 can and will become a better person. But first she had to accept that she's not and will never be human. The main reason she was so stressed out and unstable is that she was chasing after an impossible dream. She had to face reality and overcome that.

Fortunately, she has already started to accept herself. Hence Strelitzia changed color to red, to match 02's original skin color.
Old 2018-04-24, 02:21   Link #2648
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't know, she already seems plenty human to me. Anyway, you were the one who said being a figurative monster is the same as being a literal monster. And being a figurative monster means not being a person so....
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 02:26   Link #2649
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
you were the one who said being a figurative monster is the same as being a literal monster. And being a figurative monster means not being a person so....
You missed the part when I said that's how it looked from Hiro's perspective and how 02 believed it so. But they both were wrong. 02 is part klaxosaurs just like Dr. Franxx said but that doesn't necessarily mean she's a bad person and certainly doesn't mean she can't be with Hiro. She had to realize and accept this, and Hiro too.
Old 2018-04-24, 02:41   Link #2650
Zangor17

quick question about that interview that got posted. I read on a tumblr post that they mentioned that there will finally be a new ending song and a new opening too. is that true? because I usually expect an OP and ED switch halfway through but this show changed endings a few times but the opening has been the same and while its okay I am still hoping for a new OP.
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 03:45   Link #2651
RDNexus

It may be now, from Ep16 onwards. And yes, a new OP&ED were announced a few weeks ago, as far as I remember.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 03:52   Link #2652
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangor17 View Post
quick question about that interview that got posted. I read on a tumblr post that they mentioned that there will finally be a new ending song and a new opening too. is that true? because I usually expect an OP and ED switch halfway through but this show changed endings a few times but the opening has been the same and while its okay I am still hoping for a new OP.
Yes. ED song will be changed. No word on OP though in that interview. Maybe announced elsewhere
Old 2018-04-24, 04:01   Link #2653
RDNexus

Hmm...you may be right. Weird, I was quite sure I had read about a new OP as well...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 04:16   Link #2654
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Hmm...you may be right. Weird, I was quite sure I had read about a new OP as well...
No no, I mean I don't know if it might have been announced elsewhere other than that interview. Haven't been looking.....but it seems like there's no news on their Twitter also though. But usually they do change OP when the second half starts so it's still a possibility

Anyways, speaking of OP, there's this interview from 2 weeks ago with Mika Nakashima and Haruka Tomatsu http://darli-fra.jp/special/interview/
Old 2018-04-24, 04:21   Link #2655
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
List of episodes which could’ve been used better:
  1. Beach episode
  2. Boys vs. gals episode
  3. Goro’s unrequited love episode
  4. The episodes in the snowy region (could’ve used more world-building here and there)
  5. Episode 14 (the entire thing is basically just a melodrama padding)

A real good writer can easily do that IMO.
Eh the beach episode helped caused the team rejiggering and revealed you know actually on Earth. For the standards of Beach episode, its pretty good.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 05:46   Link #2656
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Eh the beach episode helped caused the team rejiggering and revealed you know actually on Earth. For the standards of Beach episode, its pretty good.
A better writer would have integrated those bits into an altogether relevant episode though.
Old 2018-04-24, 09:42   Link #2657
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
For what is worth, I liked ep15 in a vacuum if you removed the lead up to it and if it came mostly from episode 13. "Hiro's I'm scared of 02 again" doesn't work because not something that is empathized and consistent unlike 02's development me I did like the moment of reconciliation with all it's corn.
Are you guys missing Hiro's arc or are you ignoring it because you think he's a self-insert? It got personal once he realized Eo To was the reason he lost the ability to pilot. He didn't know anything about the mind erase, or what 02 had to do to hold onto those memories, so he started to think she was somehow complicit. He still wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt but things got... complicated, and he pretty much caved when 02 and the rest of 13 went at it.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 10:00   Link #2658
Kazu-kun

I don't think he thought she complicit or anything like that. I don't think he even understood the implications of what he found out in episode 14. He was just confused and wanted to talk with her. But he was also afraid because she almost killed him in the cockpit and all that. It's like I said before, the line between literal and figurative monster started get blurred in his head.
Old 2018-04-24, 11:48   Link #2659
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
I don't think he even understood the implications of what he found out in episode 14. He was just confused and wanted to talk with her.
He does tho... he clearly realizes that licking her wound is the reason he lost the ability to pilot, and the most pressing question he has for her is "did you know?" Most of his monologues in 14 and 15 are all about coming to grips with the past; I don't think he blames her, but its pretty clear he has a lot to process as far as 02 and her affect on his past.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 12:02   Link #2660
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
He does tho... he clearly realizes that licking her wound is the reason he lost the ability to pilot, and the most pressing question he has for her is "did you know?"
He wanted to ask her whether she knew that he would be able to pilot with her. He's not blaming her for losing his mojo. He clearly remembers he licked her blood of his own accord. The guy's spineless but he's not an idiot.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2018-04-24 at 12:44.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote