AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-05-03, 23:51   Link #1
PsychoKick
Why realize this?

Combustible Campus Guardress

Holy crap! Now this brings back ancient memories. Nice to see a digital version of one of my favorite anime parodies ever, even if it is a low-quality VHS rip.

[/feels really old]
PsychoKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 00:18   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Combustible Campus Guardress/Bakuen CG

4 episode OAV series (1994)
Creators: Akahori Satoru and Hagiwara Kazushi
Producers: Victor Entertainment

This is a short comedy written straight to the small screen. It tosses together fantasy/RPG combat, ancient-legend mumbo-jumbo and schoolgirl romance with a couple of healthy dollops of fanservice and serves it up with plenty of irony and comedy.

I have enjoyed watching this show several times over. It's good-looking and damn funny, with some crazy characters and enough plot to hold everything together. It even has some catchy pop tunes here and there. It's not original but it's creative, and it's short enough not to wear out its welcome.

People who enjoyed Bastard! are likely to find this enjoyable.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 03:19   Link #3
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I love this show, it's one of the forgotten legends of the OVA boom.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you see a shiny new HQ version out by the end of the year...
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 03:47   Link #4
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
I love this show, it's one of the forgotten legends of the OVA boom.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you see a shiny new HQ version out by the end of the year...
Yay! I'd really like to see that. This OVA series is hilarious! I always wondered why there was no high quality version of this.
I used to have some practically unwatchable Realmedia vesions of it, downloading the VHS version now...
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 04:20   Link #5
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Yay! I'd really like to see that. This OVA series is hilarious! I always wondered why there was no high quality version of this.
This is one of those titles where supposedly a rights holder here and a studio there went bust, so the materials are scattered/destroyed/lost/whatever. Additionally, the LDs are rare finds, so it's difficult to get ahold of the source.

Of course, friends with well-paying jobs and a lack of fear re: YJ auctions makes getting anything much easier =)
Old 2004-05-04, 15:17   Link #6
ChocoEd
Chibi no Choco

Quote:
Additionally, the LDs are rare finds, so it's difficult to get ahold of the source.
I mentioned in a different thread that I have access to the LDs, so if anyone is looking to do a higher-quality version of this, raws can be made available.
ChocoEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 16:08   Link #7
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoEd
I mentioned in a different thread that I have access to the LDs, so if anyone is looking to do a higher-quality version of this, raws can be made available.
We've got a set of LDs that's been made available to us, and permission to use the Central scripts. It's just a matter of 1)me getting back to the US to encode them, and 2)the guy supplying them wants to take the HQ on the con and club circuit for a couple months first.

There are plans for #a-classic to release this, just please be patient (I know, I know, not in digisubbing anymore...).
Old 2004-05-04, 17:49   Link #8
psipsy

Actually, to clear things up and not make those involved look stingy, the club/convention circuit will be going on before my friend gets back to the states, then the torrent version should be out VERY shortly. That way, by the time the .avi's come out, there'll be more of a demand for the show. Hopefully. Also, I wanted to provide local events with something high-quality, and very unique to show.
psipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 13:40   Link #9
scingram

I will have to keep my eye out for the HQ avi's. This series is awesome.
I started downloading the VHS rip last night. Cant wait to see it again.
scingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 16:44   Link #10
Suneo

Episode 2 will be released tomorrow, so stay tuned! The torrent information page is here: http://suneo.no-ip.com/anime/campusguardress.htm
Suneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 01:36   Link #11
Greenish Growth

For me this anime holds up surprisingly well even given its age. I liked it when I first seen it seven years ago and I still like it now. I can't say the same for just about all the other anime I seen from way back then.

Hey....is this release like a tenth year anniversary tribute or something? First Tokimeki Memorial's ten year anniversary VHS release (the 1st OVA anyway) and now this.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 06:31   Link #12
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth
Hey....is this release like a tenth year anniversary tribute or something? First Tokimeki Memorial's ten year anniversary VHS release (the 1st OVA anyway) and now this.
The first Tokimeki Memorial OVA was released in 1999. 1999 to 2004.... not 10 years.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 07:59   Link #13
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
The first Tokimeki Memorial OVA was released in 1999. 1999 to 2004.... not 10 years.
Sorry I was thinking of the tenth anniversary of the game.

My bad.

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2004-05-06 at 08:19.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 09:47   Link #14
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth
For me this anime holds up surprisingly well even given its age. I liked it when I first seen it seven years ago and I still like it now. I can't say the same for just about all the other anime I seen from way back then.
My thoughts exactly, IMO the animation is still above current TV series.
(OK, it's an OVA, but still...)
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 15:37   Link #15
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Yay, the first HQ is out.

Your thoughts?
Old 2004-12-27, 00:40   Link #16
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
The thing that surprises me more is that when I saw the new release I remembered that you had more or less promised to do it.

Quote:
Your thoughts?
Overall a very high-quality release. The results easily justify the large filesize. Consider me suitably impressed and thanks for the efforts of all concerned.

edit: Omake for episode 1:

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-12-27 at 01:32.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 02:10   Link #17
robin

Hot Damn! This is fantastic! I love BASTARD!! and I love you for releasing these high quality versions. Now get the other three out.
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 12:02   Link #18
AnimeHunterD

I liked the translation in this version. "Princess of Friendly Fire" sounds alot better than "Ally Killer" to me.

Anyway, good job, I'm looking forward to downloading the rest of it.
AnimeHunterD is offline   Reply With Quote