monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Those screenies are so gorgeous that it makes me forgive the lame-ass anachronistic OP song.
Like Wao has already said, an instrumental opening without the vocal probably would have been far more appropriate. It seems a lot of shows in the recent memory are strugging at selecting the appropriate songs, i.e. Death Note's current opening...
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 21:43   Link #122
7Th
Mixtape

Just saw Seirei no Moribito episode one screening, after reading the summary in Iwanihana’s blog of course since my knowledge of Japanese are extremely poor, as an overall a really enjoyable, highly over the average, even if not impressive presentation for the series. My main gripes are probably the comfortable structure the writers went with to kick-off the conflict and the extremely well-produced yet unimpressive visuals. Sure thing, everything is extremely detailed, be it characters or sceneries, but they end up ultimately uninspired even if technically remarkable, with a CGI more akin to SAC’s by the numbers than to Innocence artistic compositions. The motion management is fairly average at that, very KyotoAnimation like.

The concept, Barsa and her relationship of friend-protector with Chagumu make for a really interesting set-up, and direction are excellent nevertheless, enough reason to keep watching this. I like how even if everything hints towards an epic adventure of incredible scale they go instead to represent the developments in a fairly low-key very humane fashion, without shoving their fantasy alternative-history setting in our faces and rather doing so by subtle details like the queen’s conversations with the bodyguard and those little yet significative details wao already mentioned. The expository scenes they use as an introduction to the main conflict are also fairly understated, secondary to Barsa’s inner struggle and of little interest to her in taking the decision of protecting the boy. Besides, it hit on a personal weak spot: an unrelated character getting involved into a completely unrelated bigger-than-herself situation due to a twist in destiny, I’m a sucker for those.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-04-03 at 11:18.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 22:02   Link #123
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
Yea, that makes sense.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Rice paddy field are actually found throughout a lot of eastern country like japan, korea, china and etc. So, you arent far off from your original speculation anyway.

As for her action, well.... she a bit more practical compare to the usual heroine we see (enjoying the luxury when they are presented without delving too much). Even to the point where she toss the coin bag to the attendant and ask em to fill it with the money from the chest (atleast that's what i think). She's a mercenary, not a saint

Righteous belief are ok, but it alone won't fill your belly or pay your bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Like Wao has already said, an instrumental opening without the vocal probably would have been far more appropriate. It seems a lot of shows in the recent memory are strugging at selecting the appropriate songs, i.e. Death Note's current opening...
Actually, Hataraki Man and Nodame Cantabile have very appropriate OP and ED. Even when Nodame is about classical music, the jpop-ish OP and ED surprisingly felt very suitable.

12 K instrumental was very good cause it convey an oriental epic story kinda feel to it as that's how the anime was present anyway.

Seiren's OP just felt too rock-ish to me while the ED... hmmm sounds like it belongs to one of those j-drama show. Personally, i would prefer to use something like Teru no Uta by Aoi Teshima(Gedo Senki) for ED.

Last edited by Jazzrat; 2007-03-30 at 22:18.
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 22:56   Link #124
issei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Seiren's OP just felt too rock-ish to me while the ED... hmmm sounds like it belongs to one of those j-drama show. Personally, i would prefer to use something like Teru no Uta by Aoi Teshima(Gedo Senki) for ED.
now that you mention it, i'm also thinking back to mononoke hime's music, and how well it fit the movie. and there, as well as here, it's the details that really lure me in, alongside the quality of the animation, and the interesting characters, setting, etc.
Old 2007-03-31, 02:29   Link #125
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
One last thing though, I still still still wish they had an instrumental opening... *grumbles* I guess I wasn't expecting such an upbeat/light mood to the show. Same goes with the music, maybe I'm spoiled by Kunihiko Ryo or I'm just biased against Kenji Kawai (this is true I think), but I didn't think it matched up to the rest of the show. But that's okay, this is already pretty great as it is.
I'm taking back what I said about the opening. I prefer an instrumental one for sure, but after watching it, I really, really wish it was instrumental even more. It's rather light-hearted, but then it also seems to go well enough with a few of the heart-warming scenes in the opening. I'll probably get used to it, but it's kind of funny how the OP begins with parting clouds, because for a few seconds there it reminded me of Junni Kokki.

It's also rather funny how I was previously raving about Barusa's "kick ass oneesan" vibe, when the opening and the episode itself confirms my impression of her in spades. Well, I do seem to usually like these aneki/anego characters anyway, but as others have already said, her character is simply awesome. She comes across as a caring person one can easily get along with, someone to look up to, very dependable and level-headed—and yet, she's also seems like someone you wouldn't want to piss off.

The prince, Chagumu is also a likeable character. I love the part where he enters the room half asleep, holding his mother's hand. Then he wakes up, and stands up for his mother by acting all princely and authoritative all of a sudden. Simply put, he's such a cute kid.

I can't wait to see how this arrangement will further flesh out these characters later on.

On another note, for some reason I was also particularly drawn to the faces of the principal characters. The little changes in the queen's troubled face, the way Barusa's eyes seem to have that introspective glow to them, the prince's sleepy look as he wakes up—all of them. All of these tiny details are arguably right up there along with the vibrant backgrounds. Hopefully, this isn't just me being impressed with such an eye-catching first episode. I'm sooo praying to the gods of heaven and earth that the quality remains consistent all throughout.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 03:33   Link #126
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
I'll probably get used to it, but it's kind of funny how the OP begins with parting clouds, because for a few seconds there it reminded me of Junni Kokki.
You're quite right about that! It's a real pity the similarity ends there...

And the lyrics... Here's a transcribed version of what I heard - I suck at making out Hyde's singing (that's Hyde singing, right?) so I got some bits wrong...

I want to shine on you
And always like the dazzling sun
I want defend you from all the darkness
This is the truth of my heart

Kokoro no oku
Tsunagetara (?) shinjite moraeru no ni ne
Ima mienakutemo, nakusanaideite ne
Sono yasashisa wa
(unto?) ja nai
Kaze ni notteru kami
Koko ja nai dokoka e
Umi wo koe toki wo koe
Kitto se???rou
Itsu hi ni mo
Itsumo sonna kimi wo
Taiyou no you ni zutto
Ima moretara ii na
??? for my heart

Granted it does fit in some places, but it just seems so...
....typical or something.

Still, it certainly can't beat the idiots at Sony having Judy and Mary's Sobakasu as the opening theme for Rurouni Kenshin. God, that was just... -_- I totally loved the song and had it in my head when I watched it as a kid but when I found out the meaning it was just ridiculous.

Speaking of anachronisms - didn't anyone pick up Barsa saying "maintenence" (IN ENGLISH) in the earlier part of the episode? I was wondering where the hell that came from...

Also, I think 7th's comparison of the presentation here to Kyoto Animation was a good one. They're both solid, appealing and really pretty and all but tend to have that veneer that makes them a little too slick to feel refreshing sometimes.
Old 2007-03-31, 03:44   Link #127
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Personally, I am somewhat surprised that you are so displeased with the OP/ED.

Sure, it's unremarkable. But it's not terrible. Hyde is the master of J-Pop, he literally can do no wrong in this department. So the song is fairly solid, as are the visuals. The OP isn't fantastic, but I think that being solid is quite fine enough.

Think of Tim Jensen's/Steve Conte's endings for GITS SAC series. Once again, no pretense there. But still fairly alright.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 03:55   Link #128
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I've just finished watching this first episode. I'm almost speechless. Technically speaking, I think I've only seen such beautifully drawn backgrounds in movies (which usually do have an extremely high budget and talented staff working on) and a few other series. Not to mention that I'm a total sucker for beautifully drawn landscapes like the ones portrayed so far. It really does look inspiring, to me. And for anyone who requested a wallpaper for this (was it wao?), I might consider making one after I'm done with the one I'm working on (an Aquarion one), because I think I've seriously fallen in love with the atmosphere and artistic feeling of this serie. I just need some decent scan of Barsa-neesan to eventually work on, unless I manage to find a perfect screenshot for that purpose.

On a final note, I was impressed by Mabuki Andou's performance as Barsa's VA. There were certain bits of dialogues during the episode where I almost had the feeling that it was Atsuko Tanaka doing the job, probably because Barsa and the Major apparently seem to share a lot of similarities, or atleast the both seem to emanate the same kind of aura.

Oh yeah, and the OP wasn't that bad. It was ok, probably a instrumental version Juuni Kokuki style might have fitted more properly but I can't complain much about this song either. It doesn't sound bad.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 03:59   Link #129
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Think of Tim Jensen's/Steve Conte's endings for GITS SAC series. Once again, no pretense there. But still fairly alright.
But that's GITS SAC. Contemporary music will fit easier with its setting. And Origa's offerings for the OP are also suitable to the series. Combined with the various eclectic background music tracks, the whole package feels organic overall.

But I think the ED is fine. The OP is simply something I'll just get used to eventually. It certainly isn't awful, that's for sure.

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-03-31 at 04:18.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 04:05   Link #130
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Speaking of anachronisms - didn't anyone pick up Barsa saying "maintenence" (IN ENGLISH) in the earlier part of the episode? I was wondering where the hell that came from...
Lol, yea... and the farmer she's talking to is like: "mentenansu?" I'm too lazy to break out my grammar book and JDIC, but what he says afterwards does sound like it might be some muddled-up version of yoku wakaranai.

At any rate, I find it hard to believe they'd make such an anachronism accidentally. Especially with such a relatively long and obvious word as maintenance. =p

Spoiler:
Crovax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 04:25   Link #131
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That's not how it is.

Spoiler:
Granted, this explains Barsa's choice of profession and the motive for agreeing to protect Chagum, but I wonder...
Spoiler:
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 04:50   Link #132
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Sohnex, I actually had the same feeling regarding Barsa's behaviour in that scene of the OP sequence, but since this serie has just started we really don't know how soon or how late we'll get to see her "motherly" side.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 05:19   Link #133
mouhitori

I actually think the OP and ED is pretty good. The OP certainly does not fit the ancient times theme of the series, but it has that energetic feel to it.
The graphics is definitely the strongest attraction for me at the moment, but the story seems promising too.

This is probably going to be one of the series to watch this season. Considering how many responses this thread already has, a lot of people seems to think so too.
Obviously there is still a fair bit to go until the Clannad thread is surpassed though
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 07:24   Link #134
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouhitori View Post
This is probably going to be one of the series to watch this season. Considering how many responses this thread already has, a lot of people seems to think so too.
Obviously there is still a fair bit to go until the Clannad thread is surpassed though
I don't think that's possible
They ll need an ero-game first to get to that popularity

It's gonna take a lot of promo and good episodes before this series takes off imo, unlike GITS:SAC, this one didn't have a movie that's widely well known on the international scene.

But atleast previous GitS fan would enjoy Barsa's character
Old 2007-03-31, 09:01   Link #135
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
Spoiler:
No, this isn't the real world. It's a fantasy setting with the mix of Heian Japan and pre-Imperial China.

The plot so far takes place in the New Kingdom of Yogo.
Old 2007-03-31, 09:20   Link #136
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Granted, this explains Barsa's choice of profession and the motive for agreeing to protect Chagum, but I wonder...
Spoiler:
It would make sense if Barsa gains a motherly aspect towards Chagum.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-31, 11:26   Link #137
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, but having that type of a past would actually be considered a black mark against the character nowadays and prob more so back then imo. Best to seem virtuous, pay back for my life being saved....Besides, it was done ad nauseum in Xena the Warrior Princess.

I'm sure they wouldn't want to be compared to that show.
Old 2007-03-31, 11:49   Link #138
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

What exactly?

Woman, having lost a child, wanting to protect another? Sure, it's rather cliche, but I think folks have been talking more about connecting Barsa's past to her present.

If there is an event in her past that drives and motivates her now, it gives more credibility and authenticity to her actions and it shapes her character. That has nothing to do with cliches. It is, in fact, a very basic and common sense way to establish character rationale.

Now, we already know what that event was (refer to one of my previous posts, a reply to Sonhex). While people are speculating if there is something else, I find nothing wrong with that. A complex, 3-dimensional character whose motives and reflexes we slowly begin to understand as their history and environment is revealed is an interesting character.
Old 2007-03-31, 12:18   Link #139
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Woot, i finally finished watching Episode 1 and my, I am impressed with the production values of the show. I am definitely following this series quietly and I am not regretting my choice of putting this as my first anime choice to blog, unless there is some huge screw up later. I highly doubt so with the production values. I also wrote a very detailed summary for those who need it, for it seems likely that quite a few fansubs will avoid it since it's pre-licensed.

Seirei no Moribito Episode 1 summary + thoughts is here.

Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 14:20   Link #140
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
What exactly?

Woman, having lost a child, wanting to protect another? Sure, it's rather cliche, but I think folks have been talking more about connecting Barsa's past to her present.

If there is an event in her past that drives and motivates her now, it gives more credibility and authenticity to her actions and it shapes her character. That has nothing to do with cliches. It is, in fact, a very basic and common sense way to establish character rationale.

Now, we already know what that event was (refer to one of my previous posts, a reply to Sonhex). While people are speculating if there is something else, I find nothing wrong with that. A complex, 3-dimensional character whose motives and reflexes we slowly begin to understand as their history and environment is revealed is an interesting character.
True, nothing wrong with speculating. Just adding my 2 cents worth. Reproductive responsibility is also a desirable trait. Somehow I don't think that this production will have a heroine who had an unwanted pregnancy especially when that noble reason exists. Bad for publicity and an R1 market imo.

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.