AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2017-02-15, 17:30   Link #201
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I considered Ephraim scene as a tongue in cheek comment regarding a lot of fans seeing his relationship with Eirika as incestuous. The game can't be more fanservice than that by just bringing stuff that a lot of people poked fun around. And I don't believe it is insulting or bad as it is just a all star game that also play tropes (a bit how Asbel is always the butt monkey with "I will protect everyone" in tales of franchise, even though it was never considered as a joke in the game proper).

I never considered Ephraim/Eirika as a possible pairing, but the way how it was portrayed in FE8 was arguably not your usual sibling relationship. Not in a romantic aspect mind you, but their attitude was definitely teasing those who are in that kind of thing.
Ironically, the way how it was worded in English makes it even more hilarious than the JP version.

As far as it goes, the game is already nonsensical for reuniting characters like that, even moreso with all the BS with Veronica controlling every world prior the MC goes in some preaching with Askr army, so I just consider the fanservice aspect of the game, nothing else.
Old 2017-02-15, 17:43   Link #202
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Cecilia hardly count as Minor character, she is teacher (and potential wife) of Roy, the protagonist. One of leaders of only country that can actually oppose Bern and also reason why it did. Not to mention she saved everyone's ass in Ostia...
Well yeah, but as far as protagonist-level goes, she's a sub-character. Her death doesn't cause a game over and all. I do feel sorry for her too, yes. But at least she is still kinda of her original character (other than apparently aging 10 years or so mentally), unlike the guy with blue hair that openly talks about sibling love and runs away spewing a line that probably came from a random boss character (probably Chapter 14 or 16's guy) that happens to just look similar to a Fire Emblem character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I considered Ephraim scene as a tongue in cheek comment regarding a lot of fans seeing his relationship with Eirika as incestuous. The game can't be more fanservice than that by just bringing stuff that a lot of people poked fun around. And I don't believe it is insulting or bad as it is just a all star game that also play tropes (a bit how Asbel is always the butt monkey with "I will protect everyone" in tales of franchise, even though it was never considered as a joke in the game proper).

I never considered Ephraim/Eirika as a possible pairing, but the way how it was portrayed in FE8 was arguably not your usual sibling relationship. Not in a romantic aspect mind you, but their attitude was definitely teasing those who are in that kind of thing.
Ironically, the way how it was worded in English makes it even more hilarious than the JP version.

As far as it goes, the game is already nonsensical for reuniting characters like that, even moreso with all the BS with Veronica controlling every world prior the MC goes in some preaching with Askr army, so I just consider the fanservice aspect of the game, nothing else.
Yes, thank you very much.
And indeed, despite looking around the web, there are very few if not none that will defend Ephraim's character. I only see defenses of the game itself, be it "You shouldn't criticize the game!" or in this case, "That's just the way the game is!"
Because you can't defend a character who clearly acts different then from his original game.

PS: Oh, and I think he (nor Erika) doesn't have the very, very, very important bracelet that he is supposed to be wearing on his arms. Kinda hard to add such important details when you are busy changing their armor design, no?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2017-02-15 at 18:57.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 00:58   Link #203
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The bracelets themselves have a core role in FE8, but it has little to no relevancy in FEH (incidentally happened the same in their Awakening DLC).
The point is that I never questioned the fact characters ARE different in FEH, simply because it is the nature of the game by itself: it is a glaring fanservice game that just have characters representing heroes we've known from past games and it shouldn't even be considered as canon.

Complaining about the game accuracy regarding character features is a bit weird when you consider that characters shouldn't even exist as they are in the given context. Hell, some characters should not have skills/attributes that they currently have in FEH.
I'd agree if they literally make characters OOC to dismal proportions, but they are somewhat serviceable in their respective representation in my opinion, that is it.
Old 2017-02-16, 01:08   Link #204
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
The bracelets themselves have a core role in FE8, but it has little to no relevancy in FEH (incidentally happened the same in their Awakening DLC).
The point is that I never questioned the fact characters ARE different in FEH, simply because it is the nature of the game by itself: it is a glaring fanservice game that just have characters presenting heroes we've known from past games and it shouldn't even be considered as canon.

Complaining about the game accuracy regarding character features is a bit weird when you consider that characters shouldn't even exist as they are in the given context.
What? It isn't fanservice if it isn't functioning as fanservice. It's because fans know what Ephraim is like, which is why people aren't accepting this fanservice. And just because the setting is "impossible" is not an excuse to be able to change the character, because the whole point of all-star games is to present the character in a different setting. Imagine Morrigan suddenly being modest and shy. Oh, but it's okay because there is no way she should be in the same world as everyone that is in the collaboration game? Oh cool, Superman is a bastard slugish idiot. But let's forgive that because he does it in a game where other characters not in his universe exists, because being in such a situation changes your personality! You may think that is okay, but that doesn't pass for most people.

Okay, I get you want to defend the game. I'll just leave it at that. I'm sure you have financially invested yourself into the game, so you have much motivation to do so. I understand.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2017-02-16, 01:17   Link #205
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fanservice as a whole doesn't always revolve about making perfect representations of certain features. If the game gives specific nods towards fans regarding certain matters, then it can work depending of the audience (which is a hit or miss in this very case).
Also, note that I find your perspective weird, but not any less legit. I just don't see the big deal as far as the game goes.

Also, no, you guessed wrong. Not only I didn't spend any money yet, the game is arguably far from being "good". It is a passable mobage, but it is a very questionable "FE". In fact, this game is just a "charage about fire emblem protags", and I won't really spend time or money at some point if they just don't address the content issues GBD mentioned previously.
So there is no need to see me as a fanboy considering I have a lot of issues with this game as well, although they are different from what you are currently ranting about (Slight character alteration is by far less annoying than barebone content coupled with crappy scaled stamina system in my books). I'd appreciate if you could quit with your assumptions though.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-02-16 at 01:32. Reason: typo
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 01:20   Link #206
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
If the game gives specific nods towards fans regarding certain matters, then it can work depending of the audience (which is a hit or miss in this very case).
It doesn't, it didn't
...Which is kinda why the situation is the situation it is in.

Quote:
Also, no, you guessed wrong. Not only I didn't spend any money yet
*head explodes*

Old 2017-02-16, 06:51   Link #207
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just started a few days ago and man, I gotten a whole lot of characters I don't recognised since I didn't play awakening or fate. Still slogging away to pull that Lynn which is probably my favourite character in FE. Overall a decent gacha game mechanically as the retain most of the FE tactical element in bite size form beside the permanent death and equipment degradation.

Hopefully they ll add the relationship element in the future, that's one of my favourite thing about FE.
Old 2017-02-16, 10:48   Link #208
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Just started a few days ago and man, I gotten a whole lot of characters I don't recognised since I didn't play awakening or fate. Still slogging away to pull that Lynn which is probably my favourite character in FE. Overall a decent gacha game mechanically as the retain most of the FE tactical element in bite size form beside the permanent death and equipment degradation.

Hopefully they ll add the relationship element in the future, that's one of my favourite thing about FE.
They actually get rid of equipment degradation in fates. Only staves break in fates.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 17:33   Link #209
Redoaxe
ツンデレ。。。?

Yay, finally got 4.1k+ points in PvP, Olivia was a great asset to my team.
Old 2017-02-17, 01:28   Link #210
shadow1296

So roled Eirika today on my secondary account( my main thinks I am playing birthright only missing takumi there) and I can say one thing I really don't about her design. It is her sword seiglinde the way it is designed it just really doesn't feel like Eirika. Don't get me wrong on its own it is not a bad design it's just I've always remembered Eirika as rapier user and that clearly is not a rapier it's more of a long sword. Her redisign would be great if not for that one glaring issue.
Old 2017-02-17, 06:38   Link #211
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
So roled Eirika today on my secondary account( my main thinks I am playing birthright only missing takumi there) and I can say one thing I really don't about her design. It is her sword seiglinde the way it is designed it just really doesn't feel like Eirika. Don't get me wrong on its own it is not a bad design it's just I've always remembered Eirika as rapier user and that clearly is not a rapier it's more of a long sword. Her redisign would be great if not for that one glaring issue.
Sieglinde was never a rapier in Sacred Stones either, though. And I wouldn't really consider her any more of a rapier user than Roy or Eliwood; they all start with rapiers, but the weapons they're known for aren't.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 09:27   Link #212
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
Sieglinde was never a rapier in Sacred Stones either, though. And I wouldn't really consider her any more of a rapier user than Roy or Eliwood; they all start with rapiers, but the weapons they're known for aren't.
True but I guess for me I never really remember her with that as her iconic sword, heck I don't think intelligence systems thought that either when you consider the opening screen for heroes
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Or awakening with her weapon Eirika's blade
http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Eirika%27s_Blade so yeah.
Had less issue over her wedding dress design in awakening but still had issue with it because the 3 weapons you could use in it represent the three people she could marry in sacred Stones Seth/lances Innes/bows and Saleh/staves

Seiglinde just feels wrong for her in my opinion
Old 2017-02-17, 10:39   Link #213
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

IS generally set the ultimate weapon for every characters as their 5* in FEH.
Remember that Lyn never started with neither Mani Katti or Sol Katti, yet she has Sol Katti equipped. Same goes for Eliwood who uses Rapier but then end up with Durandal. We could go on with basically every characters, and even side characters have either a named weapon or a silver weapon as their final equipment.

I'd argue that having a protagonist of a game with their starting weapon instead of their ultimate weapon feels way more wrong.
It is as if you are using them in nerfed state.

At the very least Eirika makes sense with Sieglinde. In contrast, we have Raven as an axe unit but... with a goddamn sword shown on his art.
Old 2017-02-17, 11:38   Link #214
GDB

Counterpoint: characters have more than one weapon. They could have easily made the other weapons on a character's sheet the other iconic weapons as a tactical choice rather than crap you'd never use once you unlock the next level (which, for 5-stars, is immediately).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 12:40   Link #215
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, it isn't Eirika, but Ephraim actually has a anti armored unit weapon as an alternate option so they do consider that kind of option.

I'd assume it wouldn't make sense for a support char like Eirika to have another weapon considering their game balance (however unbalanced it already is with *cough*hector*cough*). But in general, it isn't really surprising for a natural 5* to have their final weapon in their artwork, otherwise it would be silly (whereas they don't seem to care for the likes of Raven ).
Old 2017-02-17, 12:50   Link #216
IceHism

Quote:
Well, it isn't Eirika, but Ephraim actually has a anti armored unit weapon as an alternate option so they do consider that kind of option.

I'd assume it wouldn't make sense for a support char like Eirika to have another weapon considering their game balance (however unbalanced it already is with *cough*hector*cough*). But in general, it isn't really surprising for a natural 5* to have their final weapon in their artwork, otherwise it would be silly (whereas they don't seem to care for the likes of Raven ).
Why don't eirika or Ephraim have their horse though if they have their final weapon.
Being infantry is prob better but not sure why they don't use their promoted form as well.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 23:18   Link #217
Westlo
Lets be reality

Bought Fates SE, only booted it up once to try and buy the DLC when it was discounted. Played FE Heroes like easy 8+ hours already I'm guessing.

Only done 6 twenty orb pulls so far...

Initial Pull - Young Tiki 5 star plus 4 three stars..
2nd pull - Nino & Roy 4 stars.
3rd pull - Eliwood and Lilina 4 stars.
4th pull - Olivia, Kagero, Wrys and Fir 4 stars...
5th pull - Takumi and Minerva 5 stars, Matthew and Sheena 4 stars
6th pull - Adult Tiki and Stahl 4 stars.

Upgraded Sharena to 4 stars and I'm about to do the same to Anna.

Not sure who to upgrade to 5 stars eventually.... Kagero's a beast but her low stats hurts your arena score and I already have Takumi... leaning towards one of Nino, Sharena and Anna....

Female Robin should be out well before I get 20k feathers as well so she's a candidate...

With what I have atm I'll probably run...

Young Tiki / Olivia (4*)
Sharena (4*)
Nino (4*)
Takumi

Probably gonna save my orbs for the Choose Your Legends Banner even though I could really use Eiraka or Julia..... need dat new Lucina!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 10:59   Link #218
Tenzen12

Even though Efraim and Erika are very last characters I would want I decided roll for chance get badges which are really pain to farm. Didn't get any of either team incest, but got real beast instead: 5* Hector. Jackpot!
Old 2017-02-22, 20:00   Link #219
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Even though Efraim and Erika are very last characters I would want I decided roll for chance get badges which are really pain to farm. Didn't get any of either team incest, but got real beast instead: 5* Hector. Jackpot!
Get Range Counter first and watch as he murder any long range attacker provided said attacker is not a red mage. And even then if he's lucky enough to get high Res he'll murder them too.
Old 2017-02-24, 01:01   Link #220
Tenzen12

Of course I did exactly that. Unfortunately when it come to level ups res is only stat that doesn't go up. I need find secret shop soon and buy few talismans for him.

That said even red mages usually can hit him only once...

Tags
fire emblem, mobile game, nintendo, turn-based strategy