AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

View Poll Results: No Game No Life - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 35 42.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 29.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-04, 00:26   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

No Game No Life - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for No Game No Life, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2014-06-04, 08:39   Link #2
c933103
FTNR

even the whole episode is fully packed with the plot development, i still feel like it's a little bit too less....
Old 2014-06-04, 09:04   Link #3
elior

well this was some creepy episode and he almost lost the game if not for shiro last move
Old 2014-06-04, 09:17   Link #4
Miraluka
Banned

So much sacrifice, so much feels ;__;
Old 2014-06-04, 11:28   Link #5
ranchan13

Wow, Seriously, that episode only felt like it was 5 minutes long. Everything as constant plot advancement. LOVE IT!
Well played game, once again, and I think we actually saw stakes higher than a race piece. Still can't believe how close he came to losing, and to think, that was a part of his strategy.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2014-06-04, 11:40   Link #6
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

Ah damn. That wasn't as good as the part of the novel. And I was so waiting for it. Kurami is a lot less impressive here. Sora looks like the only one to be utterly insane when in fact Kurami is as the same level of insanity.
It's still a good episode overall. I guess anime only watcher will love it. It doesn't have any fault taken alone.

Images
Still, Kurami looks a lot better in the novel :p
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-06-04, 11:45   Link #7
Divini
Senpai!

I was so emotionally invested in this episode I cried when the regular ED played, seeing Sora and Shiro happy again!

They did cut out some Kurami/Sora stuff, but I'm okay with the main focus being Blank.
Old 2014-06-04, 11:48   Link #8
R.LocK
My turn

Steph is a closet pervert~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlia View Post
Ah damn. That wasn't as good as the part of the novel. And I was so waiting for it. Kurami is a lot less impressive here. Sora looks like the only one to be utterly insane when in fact Kurami is as the same level of insanity.
It's still a good episode overall. I guess anime only watcher will love it. It doesn't have any fault taken alone.
I dunno. I loved how Kurami started sincerely smiling from the moment she woke up.
Old 2014-06-04, 11:53   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Pretty meh episode, just further showing off how much of a genius Sora is. All a set up to gain Fi and Kurami as allies. Now we can get to the actual games, let's hope the showdown is next week.
Old 2014-06-04, 11:54   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Whew, a damn fine episode. In the end that was one insane gamble that Sora went with. Probably necessary and the payoff was huge, but it was really close to being a loss. If Shiro didn't keep that faith and hold off from losing in the chess they might have really lost for good. That would have been it for Blank's undefeated record and who knows what Kurami would have done with the victory.

A really good episode that could keep you invested. Impressive that even coming this close to defeat was part of Sora's plan. Even with the intended memory copying it was helpful to have that. Kurami would have to be a remarkable skeptic to think Sora would put himself that close to defeat and fake his own memories to give her as a copy. In the end they gained more allies and now have a token elf for support .

Just a good episode to show how important Sora and Shiro are to each other. That ending was a really nice moment. Good to have the old ED back.

Guess this means that Sora and Shiro might still be related after all? If her mother did retrieve her from the orphanage maybe at the very least they are partially related. A same mother, different father kind of situation.
Old 2014-06-04, 11:57   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

That was...kinda creepy. The plot of the game itself was awesome, though. In a way I think this game had more stakes than the challenge to the Eastern nation.

Is it me or did anyone else find it odd that Steph (in her own way) realized what Shiro was talking about before Jibril?
Old 2014-06-04, 11:57   Link #12
eceso

wow that was an intense episode

loving this series so far
Old 2014-06-04, 12:02   Link #13
Commandersnoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Pretty meh episode, just further showing off how much of a genius Sora is. All a set up to gain Fi and Kurami as allies. Now we can get to the actual games, let's hope the showdown is next week.
Ya i thought of the episode as the same thing. It just felt too plot devicey, with the game win. I didnt even know what game they were playing.. (was it Go? not sure) Also, im not sure if it was the subs i was watching, but they also didnt really explain how the rules became...

[Slight Spoilers below..]
betting total existence to just having some of the memories. Im not even sure how Kurami was able to look into his memories and trust him.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:04   Link #14
GDB

It was Othello, not Go.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:08   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That was...kinda creepy. The plot of the game itself was awesome, though. In a way I think this game had more stakes than the challenge to the Eastern nation.

Is it me or did anyone else find it odd that Steph (in her own way) realized what Shiro was talking about before Jibril?
I think it was ok that Steph realized it first. Seemed like the kind of thing you have to trust your gut on more than logic. Jibril does have great knowledge and skills, but does seem to stumble a bit on applying it. Not really considering possibilities like cooperating with Elves which she feels are below her or that they all might be affected by something instead of just Shiro. Kind of relates to how she lost against Blank in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandersnoopy View Post
Ya i thought of the episode as the same thing. It just felt too plot devicey, with the game win. I didnt even know what game they were playing.. (was it Go? not sure) Also, im not sure if it was the subs i was watching, but they also didnt really explain how the rules became...

[Slight Spoilers below..]
betting total existence to just having some of the memories. Im not even sure how Kurami was able to look into his memories and trust him.
It's not like the specific game mattered. It was about the rules and their implications which was at least given to us.

The rules stated that each piece related to something about the person. From body parts, to memories, etc. Sora lost enough of his pieces to literally vanish. And Kurami could look into his memories because Sora gave her a copy of them. The only thing losing his pieces originally did was reflect that he wasn't getting assistance from an unknown race.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:09   Link #16
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Hmm... I'm torn. Good episode, and the Shiro despair was really well done, but in the novel we saw a lot more of the setup of the game. Here we just got infodumps. More than that, there was some really nice interaction between Jibril and Fii, which I was really looking forward to seeing... Maybe we'll see it next episode...

All in all, the worst episode so far, but that's not saying much. 8/10
Old 2014-06-04, 12:16   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was great. I didn't expect a game with Kurami to be the cause of all this. I assume Kurami and Fi are going to be added to Sora's harem now. I'm looking forward to their interactions. Kurami keeping most of Sora's memories might backfire on him... she knows all of his most embarrassing moments, now. She could hit where it hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
We already knew Sora was a genius. The true purpose of this episode was to showcase just how strong the bond Shiro and Sora share is. They have absolute trust in each other. Sora's gambit would have never worked if they weren't so close.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:26   Link #18
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it was ok that Steph realized it first. Seemed like the kind of thing you have to trust your gut on more than logic. Jibril does have great knowledge and skills, but does seem to stumble a bit on applying it. Not really considering possibilities like cooperating with Elves which she feels are below her or that they all might be affected by something instead of just Shiro. Kind of relates to how she lost against Blank in the first place.
That makes sense. Steph is a lot like her grandfather, relying on gut feelings and random chance while using her smarts to learn and improve from her failures. If she had the advantages Blank does (besides plot armor), I bet she'd give them a serious challenge. Steph's one of those characters who's really important to the story but is rarely acknowledged for it.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:34   Link #19
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I dunno. I loved how Kurami started sincerely smiling from the moment she woke up.
Now that you said it, they cut an important piece of Kurami's reaction to Sora memory.
Nothing important for the season, but an element for some distant arc.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:39   Link #20
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

There's a possibility they're saving that for next ep. It'd be kinda weird for her horrified reaction to some of Sora's memories to suddenly break up the happy, reunited mood the characters were sharing in the last part of the ep, what with the nice bgm also playing.

I'm happy this episode turned out better than I thought it would. This one was a hard one to animate.