Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-23, 02:59   Link #981
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
My wife and myself enjoy the hell out of this show, especially Akira's Mincet. Its so cute!

Question for any Japanese r/w'ers out there: What is the kanji/kata/hiro for 'Boku Satchii!' I want to use it as my user title =)
I don't really know if it's Sacchii or Saacchii, but anyway, it should be written somehow like:
僕サアッチイ、宜しくね!
(boku Sacchii, yoroshiku ne!)

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003

Last edited by RebootEDC; 2008-04-23 at 03:12. Reason: One more -i for the lulz.
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 03:32   Link #982
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Thanks, Reboot, putting it in now =)
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 08:14   Link #983
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
According to the conte books it is「ボクサッチー」
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 09:41   Link #984
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Hmmm... yeah but, why using katanaka in "boku" when it's japanese?

Old 2008-04-23, 10:00   Link #985
wao
OK.

I think that's because

a. In normal Japanese they can use katakana for personal pronouns (is that the word? Stuff like atashi, boku, kimi) - especially for emphasis

b. Satchii's not human and katakana is frequently used to indicate "dead" speaking (robotic voices, sometimes used for sarcasm)

Or well, that's as far as I understand but then I'm not a translator or anything like that.

And it's definitely サッチー, you could find that out even from the official site I think...
Old 2008-04-23, 10:18   Link #986
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

That's a great explanation, indeed.

Old 2008-04-23, 18:59   Link #987
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Apparently I missed a page.. didn't see RebootEDC's reply when I made mine, sorry.
I checked the source material specifically to check how they we're writing boku.
Here's the pages on Sacchi in the first DVD booklet:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shiroban...60990890009522
http://picasaweb.google.com/shiroban...61154098766834
I've only taken the odd sample shots from the conte booklets and I don't appear to have captured the line in question (if I'd thought I'd've taken a snap when I had the DVDs out earlier)
Old 2008-04-26, 13:11   Link #988
flick
電脳コイル'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
this series is indeed interesting, i like the background, the settings, the vision of cyber-technology in an almost realistic (if not exaggerated ) over its effects.

however for some unknown reason, i despise Okonogi-san, the main lead female lead. she really really really really REALLLLY pisses me off.

honestly, if it wasn't for Isako, i would be gritting my teeth in pain. At leased with dragonaut the characters were funny to watch as they flail about in the stupid story.

however the whining, the pleading the...i dunno how to describe it, the helplessness and ignorant innocences of Okonogi really wants me to pick her up, shake her abnout and dash her head against a wall or something.

i just don't understand WHY she makes me so anger. it's irrational. but she does.

so if i have to rate this series it has to be at leases a 7 or 8.

Remove Okonogi-san then it will be a 9, even a 10 i suppose.

Poor Okonogi I do like her (Yuuko) ~~ even if she was a little bit annoying at times, I think her presence really showed how cool some of the other people were as well.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 10:29   Link #989
wao
OK.

So it's been some time since I've been keeping up with Dennou Coil news, but I heard Iso Mitsuo attended a SF seminar in Japan recently to talk about Dennou Coil (more like an interview) and there were some interesting things being said.

All I've read is this one long report by a 2channer who went for the seminar, but damn I wish I could've gone just to hear him actually talk about stuff.

Anyway, here's a very very rough... excuse of a translation of the report - don't take it literally, it's second-hand information processed sloppily so... don't base your opinion on Iso entirely on this!

Spoiler for length - no spoilers for the show:

Wow! Fastest translation I've ever done for anything this length -_-

EDIT: Additional stuff from a blog post, forgive me if I've missed out anything, my eyes will die if I read any more for today. It is much more detailed but focuses mainly on the SF stuff, not Coil: ttp://d.hatena.ne.jp/lain06/20080504 Again, really rough.

Spoiler for length:

And I think I vaguely remember there being a Coil special in February's Animage or something and it included an interview, but that's so long ago I don't have any way of getting it and... well... bleah, my fault for not keeping up
I ended up not translating the few other Coil materials I have, and I haven't been able to get the DVDs since the second one dammit, I'm sure by the time I can the limited ed ones would be totally sold out... some fan I am I want to see more storyboards, whimper.

Last edited by wao; 2008-05-05 at 11:00.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 11:50   Link #990
Kirarakim

Hmm the whole science fiction aspect interested me. I personally think Dennou Coil can be considered science fiction. The genre is a lot more broad than a lot of people might assume. And the idea behind the Dennou world could possibly be seen in the future. I always felt science fiction was fictional but in the realm of being possible. Whether that possibility is closer to now or an unknown future should not be an issue.

But if someone doesn't like the term science fiction than how about speculative fiction? Which basically tells stories of "what if?"
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 13:42   Link #991
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Arrgh! If you find anywhere still selling it, let us known please!

[edit]

COSPA also make it in white, and a bag, and also have Daikoku Hacker's club T-Shirts and pencil cases.

http://www.cospa.com/itemlist/id/00519/mode/series

[edit2]
HLJ have various sizes and colours of both T-Shirts but all are unavailable:
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriTxt1=coil
Just to let you know, since you guys tipped me off to their existence in the first place, some of the t-shirts are back in stock at HLJ (follow the last link above).
Old 2008-05-23, 03:33   Link #992
manuloz

Shiroi Hane> Oh! Thx for the pics taken from the Denno Coil storyboards, they are really cool :)

Wao> Don't you remember ^^' We spoke of the February Animage like 2 pages back :

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=960

Denno Coil will finally get is Anime Style Event :
http://www.gainax.co.jp/company/news/0085.html

If you wonder why it's on Gainax HP it's because Tadashi Hiramatsu will be there !! (with Mitsuo Iso & Toshiyuki Inoue)
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 10:55   Link #993
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

sometimes web translations produce something that possibly exceeds the original

Quote:
Masterpiece animation which made many fans roar "a cyber- coil."
Old 2008-05-29, 17:32   Link #994
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I happened to be browsing the latest installment of ratings from Siegel Clyne and came across this surprising tidbit:

*3.3% (**.*%) 05/24 (Sat) *6:25pm-*6:50pm NHK-ETV Dennou Coil (Rerun)

Dennou Coil is garnering a 3.3 rating in reruns! That puts it well ahead of most new shows in Siegel Clyne's list. Is this a prime timeslot for anime programs that might attract a broader family audience?

Sadly Seirei no Moribito is floundering around under two in its rerun showing on Sunday mornings.

DVD sales for Dennou Coil don't seem reflective of the ratings. The DVD sales thread reports sales figures in the 2-3,000 range per disc. That's again a lot better than poor Seirei, but still on the low end of the sales spectrum compared to other series in that thread.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 20:39   Link #995
wao
OK.

That's great news! I can't clearly remember the ratings it got during its initial airing, but I think it's doing better in the reruns... that's really nice to know. Well, it might be a very long shot but one can hope it follows the example of the original Gundam and Eva that got popular only during reruns (what am I saying, it won't end up that popular...)

I think 6:25-6:50pm is quite a good timeslot though - if I'm not wrong earlier it aired at 6:30-7:00pm with the very popular MAJOR before it from 6:00-6:30pm (I think - too lazy to check) And it's on NHK Educational which airs all over Japan unlike NHK BS2, a satellite channel which Moribito is airing on.

Apparently people say that you shouldn't expect NHK shows to sell that many dvds though - because a greater amount of the viewers are casual, non-otaku types who are not likely to buy anime DVDs especially if it's a recent show that they just watched and is likely to get rerun. Apparently.
Old 2008-06-20, 12:16   Link #996
wao
OK.

Epic bump of justice!

Some days back (...more than a week by now?) there was a 4-hour Coil Night event (EDIT: I think ti's the same one as mentioned by manuloz up there) held where Iso and a bunch of the other staff came and talked (they showed a bit of ep 10 too). According to the blog of Tadashi Hiramatsu (the guy responsible for the OP and ep 10), there was a 10-year-old kid and a deaf-mute, all sorts of people (have you ever really thought about deaf-mute anime fans?)

There was Iso, Inoue, Nomura, Hiramatsu and the special guest was none other than Gisaburou Sugii (best known for the animated Night on the Galactic Railroad movie?).

To be honest I kind of forgot about it entirely after reading about it on Hiramatsu's blog, but today I kinda remembered about it again so unless some kind soul would like to do it faster and better than me, wait for it. I think there's little about it in English yet...

My real reason for posting here however is that...

They're making what sounds like a real Dennou Coil artbook!!11!1one
Dennou Coil Visual Collection.
Amazon link.
The Animage site (currently) has this announcement of it: It features a genga collection, handpicked by Toshiyuki Inoue, and will reveal most of the designs and materials drawn by Iso himself. Usually you can't trust anime magazines when they say it will be a "ve~ry thick book", but here's the details...
Size: A4 (!)
Pages: expected to be 288 (!!... of course, how much is actual content remains to be seen)
Price: 3500 yen (hello everybody, my birthday is next Tuesday*)

Animage says it's expected to go on sale 30th June (oh wow, that's just six days aft- *ahem* sorry) but Amazon says 11 July. Which one to believe? The official site is as unhelpful as ever, doesn't have a peep on this topic.

* - this is actually true.
Old 2008-06-20, 16:10   Link #997
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

I failed to find it on Yes Asia, but they do have a Roman Album I was unaware of (protip: if you switch to the beta site you can search using kanji). Otaku have more pictures of it, but also do not have this new "visual collection" book.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/dennou...0-en/info.html
http://www.otaku.com/cgi-bin/itemview.asp?itemid=74570q
Old 2008-06-21, 03:47   Link #998
wao
OK.

Yeah, that one came out sometime back and focused a bit more on the 2nd half of teh series as opposed to the first book that came out halfway through the show.

Right, now for some Kwality translation work from yours truly:

Dennou Coil Night

Spoiler for prelude/description of event:

The event was in 3 parts:
Part 1a - Iso, Inoue, Hiramatsu do a live audio commentary of the last episode
Part 1b - After the commentary, the even'ts special guest, veteran director Gisaburo Sugii (Kanashimi no Belladonna AD, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Touch director) talks to Iso

Part 2 - Professional critic and university professor (among other things) Hiroki Azuma and Hiroshi Yamaguchi talk to Iso about Dennou Coil.

Part 3 - Rest of the staff joined in, with some commentary on Hiramatsu's episode 10 + OP and other things. (casual izakaya atmosphere)

Spoiler for Part 1a:

Spoiler for Part 1b (Sugii):

23/06: Coil Night part two.

God, I'm pooped from flipping between a bunch of blog entries to write all that, so forgive the awful rambling writing style as usual... I may have made some gross errors in part 1b because it's SO long and I don't think I really know what they're saying sometimes (different blogs say different things).

I added some lousy headings, hope it helps. But that's it for now, I'll translate part 2 (which was not very popular among most event-goers, most say it felt like they were talking about stuff not all that related to Dennou Coil) and 3 (which has more anecdotes) some other time. You can attempt to trudge through this in the meantime.

Suggestions, comments, corrections and clarifications are HIGHLY welcome

Almost all information taken from the blog entries listed here (major super ultimate props to the people who wrote these reports and compiled them!): http://d.hatena.ne.jp/cure/20080617/p1

Last edited by wao; 2008-06-22 at 11:31.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 08:15   Link #999
BluWacky
尻の竜

As always, wao, that was absolutely fascinating, and thank you for going to such efforts to translate all of that for the rest of us.

To be honest, I sometimes read interviews with animators where they don't really have anything particularly interesting to say, but as Dennou Coil was a project so close to Iso I think it's unsurprising that the interview turned out so intriguing.

Spoiler for To save space on the page, I've put this in a spoiler box:
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 08:50   Link #1000
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

I'm greatly impressed and appreciative,. I've not finished reading everything but I need to make a couple of comments before I get lost in all the text and forget them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
The table where the speakers were had plushies and drawings on it like this
Is that drawing in the top left what it looks like?

Quote:
Iso, Inoue, Hiramatsu do a live audio commentary of the last episode
They really should have done this earlier, then they could have recorded it and included it on the DVDs.

Tags
science fiction