AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-01-01, 02:15   Link #1
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Martial Arts and Combat Sports

Got any practitioners or followers of combat sports here? Some of the big names...

Big Leagues
Pride Fighting Championship (Japan, mixed martial arts, world-class)
K-1 (Japan, kickboxing arts, world-class)
Ultimate Fighting Championship (USA, mixed martial arts, national-class)

Striking Arts
Boxing
Karate
Kung Fu
Tae Kwon Do
Muay Thai

Grappling
Greco-Roman
Jiu-Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I've been doing muay thai for about 4 or 5 years now and am finally extending into proper grappling and working the ground game. I've a very fast metabolism, so I don't gain weight easily. That's been a problem, but extensive weightlifting has really helped (gained 10 pounds in muscle in the last six months).

What sport do you follow or practice, and how's your experience with it so far?

Last edited by Papaya; 2007-01-01 at 17:25.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 03:31   Link #2
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Got any practitioners or followers of combat sports here? Some of the big names...

Big Leagues
Pride Fighting Championship (Japan, mixed martial arts, world-class)
K-1 (Japan, kickboxing arts, world-class)
Ultimate Fighting Championship (USA, mixed martial arts, national-class)

Striking Arts
Boxing
Karate
Kung Fu
Tae Kwon Do
Muay Thai

Grappling
Greco-Roman
Jiu-Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I've been doing muay thai for about 4 or 5 years now and am finally extending into proper grappling and working the ground game. I've a very fast metabolism, so I don't gain weight easily. That's been a problem, but extensive weightlifting has really helped (gained 10 pounds in muscle in the last six months).

What sport do you follow or practice, and how's your experience with it so far?
I do Kendo. It's pretty fun stuff. It won't teach you to be a master swordsman, but it's just really fun. It's not like I took it to fight people with a sword anyways .

It gives you a pretty good work out, requires a lot of stamina.
Old 2007-01-01, 12:50   Link #3
Fome

Don't tell me you plan to become a Pride fighter, prov. That I'd like to see.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 12:59   Link #4
suwayya
King of the ...'s

Send a message via MSN to suwayya
I've done Karate, Tae Kwon Do and Jiu-Jitsu. Mostly Karate and Tae Kwon Do.
Old 2007-01-01, 13:03   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I practice traditional Taekwondo, not the sport. The difference is that my skills are developed in such a way that it can actually be used to kill and not to hit in specific spots to 'gain points'. I've been practicing for 4 years or so, but now I'm in the army(Singaporean national service) so I don't have time to attend training.

I'm working towards being a close combat instructor in the army as well. If I do get into the course, I should be learning very practical fighting techniques, CQC techniques.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 14:16   Link #6
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

I don't train ( no MMA or BJJ gym around ) but I follow mixed martial arts.
Sarugaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 14:39   Link #7
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingard View Post
I don't train ( no MMA or BJJ gym around ) but I follow mixed martial arts.
Ha! Vanderlei Silva fan eh = )
That guy really is a monster. He always manages to intimidate me, even when I just watch him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Don't tell me you plan to become a Pride fighter, prov. That I'd like to see.
Ha, I wish. Maybe if they added a super-lightweight division. I'm probably more suited for K-1 at this point, since I'm about 10 pounds lower than their lowest weight class.

Also, anyone follow the news that Cro Cop and Rampage Jackson are coming the the UFC? That's a major downgrade if you ask me. PRIDE fans must be pretty pissed >.>
Old 2007-01-01, 14:53   Link #8
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Argh ... I'd like to pick up a martial art so badly, but I don't have time to do so T_T
There's an aikido, kendo, kung fu and ninjutsu dojo in a rayon of 30 minutes driving... meh
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 15:11   Link #9
Papaya
Sup

You should search around online for a school review when shopping around.

Go visit them and talk to the instructors. If they let you, try to sit in on a class or two. It's a good idea to pick a school that has actual full-contact sparring, not one that simply teaches techniques.
Old 2007-01-01, 15:24   Link #10
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I've studied a mix of martial arts, ranging from Jujutsu throwing technique to Muay Thai kicks. I've also studied Close Quarter Combat (CQC as C.A. had said it). But to tell you the truth the one art that I've found most interesting was Ninjutsu. Mind manipulation, to defeat your enemy without lifting a hand.
Ninjutsu seems a bit dubious to me, really. But I don't know much about it. I suppose a good amount depends on whether you're training to fight people who know how to fight or people who don't have proper experience (the average thug).

You've got a good mix there, though.
Old 2007-01-01, 17:38   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well ive done Tae Kwon Do and got up to black 3rd dan ~ then i got bored and quit ~ it was fun while it lasted but in the end just a but too much with school work and all...but still i have loads of stamina when it comes to long distance races

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 17:58   Link #12
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Boxed from the age of 11 to 15-16? (Stopped around when I left high school). Great for fitness and makes you realize how many pseudo "hard-knocks" think they can punch when in fact they really can't.

I also practice drunken wrestling almost every weekend.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 03:40   Link #13
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Kung fu, going on...9 months now, I think it is.

Learned Tan Tui, some spear form, Lien Bu Chuan, and beginning to learn a bit of Seven Star Praying Mantis as well as Sun style tai chi, but still consider myself quite the beginner.

My school also has people who have competed in karate (not sure what style) and boxing, so I'm learning a bit of boxing.

Did a bit in college, but I don't really count that.

I'm really considering starting up a second art to go along with it -- maybe judo, wrestling, or BJJ. My sifu gave me the okay to study anything else I wanted concurrently -- as long as it's not another style of kung fu.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 09:16   Link #14
Sankari

I have the same problem as you, I have extremely fast metabolism which pisses me off. I want to gain weight but no matter what I do, it just won't happen. I even tried protein drinks in top of my meals and I gained like 5 pounds, which ultimately disappeared faster than I could even say, I HATE THIS.

I practiced Han mo Doo (Don't think anyone really knows about it). For like 7 months, it was pretty nice and all but just wasn't for me in the end. I have always wanted to Muay Thai but no where to practice that in here, only kick boxing (which is alright too) . I think the days of me practicing any martial art is over though, started smoking and I would get exchausted a bit too easily now, I could always stop but that would need quite a bit of motivation for the sport.

I agree with Papaya, its better to practice in schools that offer full contact sparring or sparring and alot of it, sparring isn't always about full contact. If there's no sparring, it won't be much good in reality. Sparring was what I liked in Han Mo Doo, but when we stopped sparring for awhile I quit. Sparring is great when its done with a partner who won't get mad no matter how much hits they take and offers feedpack. Don't get mad if he says something negative about your technique, just think of it as feedpack and improve your technique, no one will be perfect at first.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 10:05   Link #15
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Ha! Vanderlei Silva fan eh = )
That guy really is a monster. He always manages to intimidate me, even when I just watch him.
Huh , even when you just watch him...was that suppose to mean?...you do something else than just watching him?? Like fight him?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
I also practice drunken wrestling almost every weekend.
LOL, I think I’m also experience at that special technique that is difficult to master, and it damages the body

For Me a long time ago I practiced Jiu-Jutsu...I think i can remember a couple of grapples..
Old 2007-01-02, 11:13   Link #16
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I have the same problem as you, I have extremely fast metabolism which pisses me off. I want to gain weight but no matter what I do, it just won't happen. I even tried protein drinks in top of my meals and I gained like 5 pounds, which ultimately disappeared faster than I could even say, I HATE THIS.

I practiced Han mo Doo (Don't think anyone really knows about it). For like 7 months, it was pretty nice and all but just wasn't for me in the end. I have always wanted to Muay Thai but no where to practice that in here, only kick boxing (which is alright too) . I think the days of me practicing any martial art is over though, started smoking and I would get exchausted a bit too easily now, I could always stop but that would need quite a bit of motivation for the sport.

I agree with Papaya, its better to practice in schools that offer full contact sparring or sparring and alot of it, sparring isn't always about full contact. If there's no sparring, it won't be much good in reality. Sparring was what I liked in Han Mo Doo, but when we stopped sparring for awhile I quit. Sparring is great when its done with a partner who won't get mad no matter how much hits they take and offers feedpack. Don't get mad if he says something negative about your technique, just think of it as feedpack and improve your technique, no one will be perfect at first.
Hmm, protein shakes are actually not a good way to gain weight unless you specifically purchase the type that includes a massive amount of calories (500-1000 per serving). In fact, unless you're doing a hardcore workout, excess protein will go to fat, not muscle.

I do a full body workout twice times a day, one hour each time, with an additional hour of cardio (swimming, running, or climbing).
With resistance training, do a few sets of 8 x Max-10lb or so, and you'll gain bulk and weight in no time. Since you have a fast metabolism, I'm assuming you have a fast body recovery too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Huh , even when you just watch him...was that suppose to mean?...you do something else than just watching him?? Like fight him?????
Maybe it's his bald head. Or his scary tattoo. Or that he's always got this weird Vin Diesel smile.
Old 2007-01-02, 18:50   Link #17
Lichtkrieg
lost member

Send a message via MSN to Lichtkrieg
I do Kyokushin, it's a traditionnal form of karate. It's fun but I've got a pretty rough sensei. So sometimes its a bit painful.
I have done some competition but it was always semi-contact competition, wich mean the technic is the most important factor and we use protection gear. I want to do a full-contact competition this year.
Old 2007-01-03, 06:08   Link #18
Sankari

Quote:
Hmm, protein shakes are actually not a good way to gain weight unless you specifically purchase the type that includes a massive amount of calories (500-1000 per serving). In fact, unless you're doing a hardcore workout, excess protein will go to fat, not muscle.

I do a full body workout twice times a day, one hour each time, with an additional hour of cardio (swimming, running, or climbing).
With resistance training, do a few sets of 8 x Max-10lb or so, and you'll gain bulk and weight in no time. Since you have a fast metabolism, I'm assuming you have a fast body recovery too.

Maybe it's his bald head. Or his scary tattoo. Or that he's always got this weird Vin Diesel smile.
I used to work out back then when I had those protein drinks so it didn't go to fat. I have tried every trick in the book and no results really outside from gaining more strenght (which is fine too.)
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 08:10   Link #19
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i did loads of barokai when i was younger, my dad was a millitary soldier in Indonesia, basicly taking martial arts is something you have to do according to him, so i did, i had 4 years of Barokai before my teacher retired, which was pretty crappy cause he was the only barokai teacher in our region, after that my dad homeschooled me with lose moves, such as sword fighting and loads of killing moves, by that meaning choking an opponent with random objects around the house such as tooth floss wires XD and killing people in 1 hit

the suckie thing is though that i am asmatic, so sometimes doing warm ups and things can be really tensfull because if it turns bad i have to go on a oxygen machine, for this reason ive never been able to run for long periods, though i still tend to go to the edge, just cause i dont want a stupd dissease to get in my way, nor cant i do boxing, ive tried, but it didnt go well..

about a year ago our school hosted up some martial arts lessons, the teacher at the time wanted to dismiss me because i couldnt do the entire warm up like everyone else, i got asmatic and had to stop every 3 minutes to catch my breath so i wouldnt pas sout, he didnt dismiss me though.. cause accidentaly while practising moves to make your opponent fall i made my friend do a salto and he almost broke his arm, he couldnt sit for the next couple of days o.o; even with my astma condition i am simply stuborn into giving up as well, i got this thing with my ellebows which i was born with, if you stretch your arms it turns to a almost straight line with your arms while mine can bend to both ways, if i stretch my arms it looks like the ^ though less xtreme than that, but thanks to it i can wirm myself out of almost every arm lock :P cause with most of em you bend the ellebow to where it stops and thats when it supposed to hut but mine bend further so it hurts a lot less XD
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 10:35   Link #20
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i did loads of barokai when i was younger, my dad was a millitary soldier in Indonesia, basicly taking martial arts is something you have to do according to him, so i did, i had 4 years of Barokai before my teacher retired, which was pretty crappy cause he was the only barokai teacher in our region, after that my dad homeschooled me with lose moves, such as sword fighting and loads of killing moves, by that meaning choking an opponent with random objects around the house such as tooth floss wires XD and killing people in 1 hit
Ohhh you would make a wondeful wife, I'll be sure not to get you mad in the bathroom touhg...

Im also asmatic...so I know how you feel...its really sucks