AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-12-08, 18:33   Link #481
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
Y'know, there's something I have to get off my chest. I'm disgusted by how no matter how much dubs improve, those die hard purists will never allow a dub to be considered good, and will go out of their way to bash every single dub voice actor, even those who actually put in effort! Dubs such as those of Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh, for example, have outstanding casts, but haters will dismiss them for not sounding "cute" enough, among other asinine reasons. It's irritating !
(1) I'm actually on the fence on this one. There may be 3 studios but 2 studios carry most of the dubbing each with different specialties maybe more overseas. One company of actors specialize in action and drama (Ghost in the shell, Monster, etc). They try a cute series like Lucky Star, the voices either can't catch up or don't match the character. They didn't have to match the seiyuu's voice when it came to Fate/Stay Night. That was a good series sub or dub.
The other company, although they have variety they specialize in mostly comedy. In this case not only the voices match the character, they are either up to par with the seiyuu or even better (School Rumble, Bamboo Blade). It depends on the voice actor and the character.

(2) If I was voting on a seiyuu whether he is nominated or not I would go with Takehito Koyasu. If I needed a 2009 character he voiced I would go with Adam Blade (Needless)

(3) English voice actor 1 from each company or studio, Michelle Ruff and Luci Christian. I couldn't possibly list all of my favorites.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 22:41   Link #482
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

@milu -- I've had a look at the first couple of episodes of AzuDai dubbed, and they really are okay. The broad American accents/styles of speech in a Japanese context do continually throw me off, but I get the reason for it. I still far prefer the subs, or raw (since I do understand a reasonable amount), but there is surely some prejudice involved. I can believe most of the American voices -- and a couple of the Japanese seiyuu don't do much for me, anyway (I listened to both sound tracks).

@musume_no_hoshi -- WTF'd me, too, but I looked up Namikawa Daisuke in ja.Wikipedia, and he appears to have done a tremendous amount of dubbing of foreign films and TV. He started in showbiz when he was nine and dubbed Frodo in LoTR, E.T., etc., etc. The article says he did boy roles that used to be done by women. I've never seen as long a list of dub roles, in fact. He's done Leonardo di Caprio several times. So he clearly has contacts in the movie and TV world. He has acted bit parts in five films. And the story of the movie he supposedly will direct sounds like a reasonable sci-fi plot to me, if they do it well. I'll wait and see.

When I went up to the main page of the company producing the film, it was the home page of the company Wild Strawberry, which makes silver accessories for men and women, and produced the dorama of the same name last year. So I guess the company's president (松村清秀 Matsumura Kiyohide?) is fairly daring. No doubt a lot of seiyuu think they should long ago have had their chance in a film, and he's giving them a chance. There's a mass call for extras here.

Namikawa's Wikipedia entry tells of his closeness with many, many seiyuu. He seems to cut quite a figure in that world. He's certainly done a lot of good roles: Rock in Black Lagoon, Iks in The Third, Teen in Tide-Line Blue, Kazahaya in Kimi ni Todoke. Not much gar there, though, lol, as you suggest.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-12-08 at 23:39.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 23:04   Link #483
Maiku-kun
The Rider

i actually like some american dubbing, granted some of it is terrible but ive seen a few great american voice actors dub anime

for example
johnny yong bosch - vash from trigun, ichigo from bleach, maiku kamishiro from please twins (not such a great dub ill admit)

and of course, the black power ranger :-)
Maiku-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 11:02   Link #484
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@musume_no_hoshi -- WTF'd me, too, but I looked up Namikawa Daisuke in ja.Wikipedia, and he appears to have done a tremendous amount of dubbing of foreign films and TV. He started in showbiz when he was nine and dubbed Frodo in LoTR, E.T., etc., etc. The article says he did boy roles that used to be done by women. I've never seen as long a list of dub roles, in fact. He's done Leonardo di Caprio several times. So he clearly has contacts in the movie and TV world. He has acted bit parts in five films. And the story of the movie he supposedly will direct sounds like a reasonable sci-fi plot to me, if they do it well. I'll wait and see.

When I went up to the main page of the company producing the film, it was the home page of the company Wild Strawberry, which makes silver accessories for men and women, and produced the dorama of the same name last year. So I guess the company's president (松村清秀 Matsumura Kiyohide?) is fairly daring. No doubt a lot of seiyuu think they should long ago have had their chance in a film, and he's giving them a chance. There's a mass call for extras here.

Namikawa's Wikipedia entry tells of his closeness with many, many seiyuu. He seems to cut quite a figure in that world. He's certainly done a lot of good roles: Rock in Black Lagoon, Iks in The Third, Teen in Tide-Line Blue, Kazahaya in Kimi ni Todoke. Not much gar there, though, lol, as you suggest.
I knew he was extremely experienced in voice acting (chinese wikipedia had more information), he probably been in the business way longer then many other male seiyuus. Even if he does have close ties with the industry, doesn't mean he knows how to direct a film. I have a feeling the movie would turn out to be a medicore movie, not good but not bad either.

I only noticed Namikawa recently because of Hetalia. He voiced bothNorth and South Italy, I didn't realise both characters was voiced by him till I listened to the character single. But erm...Namikawa cannot ever ever voice a seme, his voice is uke no matter how he acts

Well Japanese movies tend to be pretty low budget, so it'll be a good experience for any seiyuus that's involved in it.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:57   Link #485
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
...chinese wikipedia had more information...I have a feeling the movie would turn out to be a medicore movie, not good but not bad either.
Yes, mediocre is likely. But maybe they can hire an assistant director to do the real work, lol.

They really seem to scoop up a lot of what's on Japanese Wikipedia for some articles on the Chinese version, don't they? Thanks for mentioning it. I can read more Chinese than Japanese, so I should double check there when I'm stumped by the Japanese.

...Unfortunately, the zh.Wikipedia article doesn't have this bit from the ja.Wikipedia, which intrigued me, but which I wasn't able to understand: "2001年1月、辻谷耕史らを招待し挙式。二児がいる。"
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:43   Link #486
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
just started watching Kaze No Stigma and i have to say that it has one of the best voice acting jobs for a dub that i have ever seen.
Old 2009-12-14, 19:19   Link #487
Oppius
Banned

Two seiyuus which I hate: Jun Fukuyama and Rie Kugimiya.

Actually there is nothing wrong about them but I just hate to see fanboys and fangirls squeals over them.

"Rie Kugimiya is my f*cking idol. People who replaced her should DIE!!"

Kugimiya fanboys when watching English-dubbed Gundam 00 and Shakugan no Shana. Same goes on Fukuyama's fangirls on English-dubbed Code Geass.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:40   Link #488
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I don't understand your hatred for the two seiyuus; rather I feel they are misplaced. You should be hating the people who squel, not the seiyuus themselves. You are not making much sense by hating people who didn't do you any harm. And usually, people who says such things don't like dubs period, regardless who the original seiyuus are (at least, thats what I think).

Last edited by Nochgo; 2009-12-15 at 10:31.
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 09:40   Link #489
hinakatbklyn

Seiyuu tend to go out of their way to match what a character might sound like. I'll admit, in most cases (both dub and sub) multiple characters from different series could end up with exactly the same voice. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even if Shana, Louise, Nagi, even taiga (a little) sound the same, I have my doubts anyone else besides Rie Kugimiya could come close to matching these characters.

Of course, she's not a one trick pony as far as voices go. (Gakuen Alice / Hotaru, Nabari no Ou / [main character] and Saki / Yuuki [tacos]).

The problem here lies with who will try and dub the very same character opposite Kugimiya. It didn't work with Shana although a decent dub. I'll say the closest match dub wise lies with Louise (Zero). Unfortunately, without Louise's dub, there would be no need for the other dubs in that series.
Old 2009-12-18, 09:07   Link #490
hinakatbklyn

Speaking of dubs, looks like the dub for strike witches will not entirely be all funimation.
Spoiler for Spoiler voice cast members:

If true, will this work in the dubs favor or will the original still be better?

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2009-12-18 at 09:16. Reason: Rather not spoil unless necessary
Old 2009-12-28, 15:57   Link #491
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I have no blog whatsoever, I guess it doesn't hurt to post what I think about Mizuki Nana's live Diamond here. She's still a seiyuu and there's no need to make another thread about it. Honestly it's a bunch of random thoughts.

Spoiler for it's just too long:
Old 2010-01-18, 07:55   Link #492
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

[News] Seiyuu Gori Daisuke Commits Suicide

I have discovered this in myanimelist.net:

According to Chunichi news, seiyu Gori Daisuke found dead on a road in Nakano, Tokyo. He was bleeding from the wrist. Nakano Police discovered a knife and his suicide note. He was 57.

Sources: Chunichi, Yomiuri

Note: Gori Daisuke brought life to Dodonchakka from Bleach and Mr. Satan from DBZ.

May he rest in peace.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 13:24   Link #493
Knight_SV

he is yet to reprise his role as Mr. Satan in Dragon Ball Kai....
may he rest in peace
Knight_SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 13:46   Link #494
ZeroForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I have discovered this in myanimelist.net:

According to Chunichi news, seiyu Gori Daisuke found dead on a road in Nakano, Tokyo. He was bleeding from the wrist. Nakano Police discovered a knife and his suicide note. He was 57.

Sources: Chunichi, Yomiuri

Note: Gori Daisuke brought life to Dodonchakka from Bleach and Mr. Satan from DBZ.

May he rest in peace.
http://forums.henshinjustice.com/showthread.php?t=47226

yeah just heard about his death myself he's done quite a few roles, kinda surprised. RIP from this end as well
Old 2010-01-18, 14:12   Link #495
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
He was the go to guy if you wanted a deep, gravelly and menacing voice for your character. Great character voice that can't be easily replaced since Norio Wakamoto is basically the only other one that fits into his range.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 08:08   Link #496
Penn
元帥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
He was the go to guy if you wanted a deep, gravelly and menacing voice for your character. Great character voice that can't be easily replaced since Norio Wakamoto is basically the only other one that fits into his range.
Not even Tessho Genda, Akio Ohtsuka (to a lesser extent) or Jouji Nakata? Kiyoshi Kobayashi? I seem to recall Tessho Genda already replacing one of Daisuke Gori's roles (Dozle Zabi).

Even if comparing specifically to Norio Wakamoto I have encountered a few voices (and not checked up on once I realized they were not him) that are similar in tone, albeit not with the same Wakamoto-like quality.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 07:49   Link #497
Westlo
Lets be reality

Saw this on myanimelist, couldn't find a thread for it here, usually one is made during the voting phase..

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=165422

Winners are Daisuke Ono and Miyuku Sawashiro. Miyuku Sawashiro keeps the tradition of a Best Supporting Female winner becoming Best Female the following year. Put some money on Horie Yui for the 2011 awards.. though the way she's been going lately she'll deserve it anyway.. I was never a fan of hers.. but she's become one in the last year.. and she'll have big enough roles too.. her Tsubasa from Bakemonogatari, Yukionna aka Tsurara from the upcoming Nurarihyon no Mago for starters.

That being said while I love Miyuku Sawashiro and it's awesome to see her get recognition.. her two listed roles for her win have imo been some of her worst work. She got totally outdone by Tanaka Rie in Canaan.. it was like Chistrian Bale to Heath Ledger... and Lag in Letter Bee is just mediocre. I do love her Suruga, Selty/Celty (this wouldn't have counted for this anyway), Yano and Cal though.

Abe Atsushi finally wins the newcomer award, I thought he was going to win it last year but his cast mate from Index in Nobuhiko Okamoto got it before him.

Spoiler:
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 08:30   Link #498
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

OnoD was expected. Relatively speaking, last year was a weak year for male seiyuu performances, at least in main roles...though I did love him as Sebastian ^^

It may be a bit premature, but I feel like I'd prefer Sawashiro Miyuki to have received next year’s main for her roles in 2010. I'm liking her more and more in Durarara!! and frankly, Saitou Chiwa should have won it for last year.

Agree with you on Horie Yui - I'm not a fan, but she's good. It probably helps that both fans and the industry love her. ^^;

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-03-07 at 11:17.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:14   Link #499
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Overseas Fan Award went to Saiga Mitsuki? I looked at her resumé and can't for the life of me figure out what shows/characters of hers made such a big impression outside Japan. Perhaps others here can enlighten me?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:29   Link #500
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Overseas Fan Award went to Saiga Mitsuki? I looked at her resumé and can't for the life of me figure out what shows/characters of hers made such a big impression outside Japan. Perhaps others here can enlighten me?
According to the little spiel they give on the official website, it's because of Kyou Kara Maou. They say that the character she plays, Wolfram, is loved around the world, to the extent that fans actually ask for the Japanese version/track rather than the dub. She's also very popular for playing Okita Souji in PEACE MAKER Kurogane.

When they put it that way, I can sort of understand - I loved her in PMK too, albeit when I first saw it back in 2004/5! The odd thing is that the DVDs were released in the West in 2005...though Crunchy Roll started airing the series at the start of last year (ANN).

As for Kyou Kara Maou, DVD boxsets for the first two season were actually released in the middle of last year.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seiyu