AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-11-03, 14:37   Link #81
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Excuse me? "Americanize" the name? Wanna rethink that thought or do I have to explain?
I think he meant choosing an alternative version of the name that rolls off the tongue more easily in America.

Nagisa is nice in Japanese, but it doesn't really flow right in English.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:04   Link #82
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Pronunciation, swamination. At least Nagisa is a relatively "normal" name. Sure... people may still goof on the correct way of saying it, like how Jean is pronounced differently depending on whether it is French or English.

Jean Claude Van Damme
Jean Grey

Mispronouncing it would be a minor problem at most, especially since "Gi-as-Gee" is not unheard of in "normal" English words. Most sane people won't roll their eyes back and go, "Huh?" if you have to tell them the correct way of saying it.

You think Nagisa is too exotic? A quick check with Google shows that my name only garners eleven hits, and one of them is my facebook; and none of the other entries have the HYPHEN in my name.

You read that right. I have a bloody hyphen in my name.

My parents wanted to have our names (me and my sisters) rhyme with each other, and as the last child, they apparently ran out of "normal" options for me. I think one of the highlights of my childhood was when my own mother sewn and misspelled my name on my school-bag. That was an awkward moment.

"Erm mom? That's not how you spell my name."

The bloody hyphen also presents a problem when I want to do online registration as apparently it is hammered in holy stone somewhere that by default, you can only use characters from the twenty-six basic alphabets. For all the troubles it has caused, that hyphen is still part of my name. MY. NAME. It just doesn't feel right if I don't include it.

That said... back to the bit about pronunciation. You know how many people, excluding my family, got my name right the first time?

One.

Just one, and boy could I have hugged her back then, but I was too stunned by the revelation to do so.

"It's "sea", not "zee". Yes, I know the damn "z" is there, but trust me, it's "sea"."

At this point, one might be forgiven for thinking that I don't like my name. They couldn't be more wrong. For all the troubles it has caused me, I am fiercely proud of my name, and I derive a lot of amusement from the fact that it is kinda unique in the world.

Nagisa is a perfectly fine name. If you are proud of it, and your wife is proud of it, then there is no shame in naming your child it. So long as you remember one thing.

Make your child proud of it.

If you can't see yourself justifying to your own child the reasons for the name, then that is when you should reconsider. As your child grows up, he or she can decide for themselves on whether they want to keep the name or legally change it.

Companies that discriminate based on names can sod off. Your child would be better off plying his/her talents with companies that embraces logic. Think about the successful people with out-of-this-world names.

Cheers.
Old 2011-11-03, 16:15   Link #83
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like the Japanese name Kaori for females. I'm not too fond of Nagisa for whatever reason, but don't pay much heed to my opinion.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:24   Link #84
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Don't forget; it might sound cute to you, but your kid might end up not liking it. Schools are especially dangerous with prejudice and peer pressure. She might get ridiculed for having a "strange" name.

Just stating one of the worst possible scenarios. As a future parent, you have to consider every single one of those and do what you think is best for the child, not for you. I hope you realize that.
Old 2011-11-03, 16:48   Link #85
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I like the Japanese name Kaori for females. I'm not too fond of Nagisa for whatever reason, but don't pay much heed to my opinion.
I hate Kaori; the ri makes it hard to pronounce, and I was born a Japanese >_>
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 17:41   Link #86
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Honestly, the first thing that popped up in my mind upon reading the topic was that the OP was musing over the name because of a show s/he really liked. Ultimately though it's your choice, but you can put me on the side of don't do it at all because from a non-anime perspective, it'd be a little unconventional, to put it mildly.

I get blasted IRL a lot for my last name; I'd feel bad for anyone who has to contend with that possibility by simply introducing themselves.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 17:50   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think he meant choosing an alternative version of the name that rolls off the tongue more easily in America.

Nagisa is nice in Japanese, but it doesn't really flow right in English.
Hmmm, let me refer you to an American phone book of almost any city

In America.. "your name doesn't sound American" is basically a racist jibe from certain white folk ... just fyi.
Old 2011-11-03, 17:54   Link #88
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

In America.. "your name doesn't sound American" is basically a racist jibe from certain white folk ... just fyi.
Take a look at the name of the owners from the Dow Jones index. That is what is called "American" name. *sarcastic*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 19:07   Link #89
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I can see her daughter hating her for naming her after anime character in the first place. Just cause you watch anime and she may grow up in '' anime-ish enviroment '' doesn't mean she'll like anime after she grows up. She may be bullied, or rather is likely to be bullied with a weird first name like that in school. Just come on, think about it, named after an anime character... This isn't a pet we're talking about. So if you want to possibly ruin her life with a name like that, go ahead.

Else I'd recommend to reconsider and if you must name her after Nagisa just because you happen to like anime to THIS extent, then at least americanize the name.
Ruin her life?

I can think fo 1001 ways a kid can have their life ruined outside of their first name.

(Death, abuse, learning difficulties, sickness, poverty)
You know... more concrete reasons that usually our outta our control.

As mentioned before, if a parents raises a child right, no matter their name (to most degree), they'll be proud of it. Nagisa can be said in English without much blinking from others as to 'it's an anime character!' And if the kid isn't into anime much, all the better then.
Once the OP becomes a mother, she may not have time for anime or will find that watching Disney with her kid would be more fun.

As Vexx pointed out, there are actual Japanese peeps with this name, the first thing you get on google is a resturant.
And the kid won't be conscious of their name until at least 7 years and older.
So who the hell knows what'll happen in 7 years or how Americans will take to the name or what changes will occur in schools. It's the country of where celebrities are naming their kids Apple, Rocket or Audio Science or Kal-El.
I'd be relieved tbh, lol

As for bullying, most kids aren't into anime, this is an anime forum (which again OP, seriously go ask regular people on the street and in town to read the name and see what peeps think).
I know from our point of view the reason seems superficial cause we know the source (an anime) Thoghu had the OP not have said that, I'd have known no different, expect that it's Japanese origin and that's it.

But if the OP explains the source as somthing different or simply
'I like this name and it's special to me and you're my special little girl'

The kid won't think much of it.
As for bullying?

Kids will bully for anything, hair, height, teeth, clothes, speech, words.
How one handles themselves is what it comes down to and the area one grows up in.

So yeah, ruining their life, not quite...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 19:28   Link #90
Forsaken_Infinity

Please don't do this. It'd be a horrible horrible gift to your daughter from you. Unless either of the parents have some relation to Japan (preferably as a direct descendant but something like being a researcher that researches about the country etc. would be fine too I guess), your child is going to have a really tough time avoiding quizzical looks from people around her. And even if she grows up not to care about that, it'd be bloody tedious to explain it every time she gets asked. Nagisa really isn't what you'd expect a full-blooded American to be named and you can't really help but give a funny look at an American girl with that name. Unless you were an anime enthusiast which would mean that meeting an American girl with that name for this particular reason would make your day. But most people aren't anime enthusiasts and you don't want to force your whims onto your daughter unless you absolutely must.

Using it as a middle name or an in-the-house-only nickname sounds good fun though. If she tells you to drop it by the time she understands how she got it though, you had better.
Old 2011-11-04, 00:51   Link #91
justsomeguy

There's nothing wrong with naming your daughter Nagisa. I used to be made fun of for my Chinese name (I have an English nickname that I typically use, since Americans are awful at handling foreign names). Once people grow up, that silliness eases a great deal. I agree with Mystique on this issue, kids are cruel sociopaths that will bully each other on practically anything. A proper name is the least of those worries.

There's a big difference between an actual name vs automobiles, car parts, inanimate objects, or Hitler (yes, kids have been named after all of those. Adolf's parents lost custody as a result.)

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 01:06   Link #92
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

Foreigners still anglicise (Americanise is the wrong word really) their name when moving to an english speaking country, it just makes life easier. Most immigrants to America altered their names to fit in better (if you read the foreign names in an american phonebook, they're almost always somewhat anglicized). Do you ever see an Irish American with the name "Ó Murchú"? No because they all changed their name to "Murphy". Chinese frequently have an english and a Chinese name (just look at most of the big Hong Kong stars...).

Likewise if I moved to Japan I would probably have little luck getting them to pronounce Quigley correctly, I'd compromise with something like Kwiguri (or might just shorten to Lee if even that proved difficult).

I remember in my school we had a girl who cam from africa and had a click in her name, suffice to say her name was impossible to pronounce for us, the "click" quickly changed to a "Ki".

Nagisa isn't quite as egregious, but it does sound awkward in English. Just say it out loud.

It's not racist, it's just being accomadating to the fact that different languages pronounce things differently. Would it be racist to anglicise a frenchman named Louis to Lewis? It wouldn't, but Louis sounds odd in English. Hence the anglicisation. I attended a French school for a while, and used a french accented version of my own name, with a soft zh rather then a hard J.

Most people in foreign countries use a version of their name customised to that country. It's just tedious not to.

Names are a moniker, you might like your name, but it's not something one should take inordinate pride in. And if your name is awkward, people will probably just get around it with a nickname anyway. You may as well pre-empt them by choosing one for yourself that you prefer.
Old 2011-11-04, 03:12   Link #93
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
You might want to really think about it. One day your daughter would ask "How did I get my name" and you'd tell her it is from an anime, and then she would tell her friends "My parents are obsessed with anime and they named me after an anime character -_-;" and her friends would poke fun at her...if she were to even share that with them!
Disagree.

My name is Luke and my parents named me after Luke Skywalker.

That makes me proud of my parents geekiness, not ashamed.
Old 2011-11-04, 09:10   Link #94
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Ruin her life?

I can think fo 1001 ways a kid can have their life ruined outside of their first name.

(Death, abuse, learning difficulties, sickness, poverty)
You know... more concrete reasons that usually our outta our control.

As mentioned before, if a parents raises a child right, no matter their name (to most degree), they'll be proud of it. Nagisa can be said in English without much blinking from others as to 'it's an anime character!' And if the kid isn't into anime much, all the better then.
Once the OP becomes a mother, she may not have time for anime or will find that watching Disney with her kid would be more fun.

As Vexx pointed out, there are actual Japanese peeps with this name, the first thing you get on google is a resturant.
And the kid won't be conscious of their name until at least 7 years and older.
So who the hell knows what'll happen in 7 years or how Americans will take to the name or what changes will occur in schools. It's the country of where celebrities are naming their kids Apple, Rocket or Audio Science or Kal-El.
I'd be relieved tbh, lol

As for bullying, most kids aren't into anime, this is an anime forum (which again OP, seriously go ask regular people on the street and in town to read the name and see what peeps think).
I know from our point of view the reason seems superficial cause we know the source (an anime) Thoghu had the OP not have said that, I'd have known no different, expect that it's Japanese origin and that's it.

But if the OP explains the source as somthing different or simply
'I like this name and it's special to me and you're my special little girl'

The kid won't think much of it.
As for bullying?

Kids will bully for anything, hair, height, teeth, clothes, speech, words.
How one handles themselves is what it comes down to and the area one grows up in.

So yeah, ruining their life, not quite...
When picking an anime name, just choose one that has a deep meaning.

I am planning to name my daughter 天理 (Tenri in Japanese-pronunciation) if I ever had one, with the Christian name Diana. In Chinese, it would mean "heavenly will", while Diana is the alternate name of our moon.

If she has a sister, I will name the more quiet one 奇栞 (Kishiori in Japanese pronunciation), with the Christian name Minerva. In Chinese, it would mean "mystery bookmark", while Minerva is the Goddess of wisdom.

There! Pretty names aren't they?
And I will MURDER anyone who dares to give them BL media for their birthdays.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 09:51   Link #95
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There! Pretty names aren't they?
Yes, in fact I'll probably take them home for it.

Quote:
And I will MURDER anyone who dares to give them BL media for their birthdays.
Thank you for giving me the idea.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 09:56   Link #96
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
If she has a sister, I will name the more quiet one 奇栞 (Kishiori in Japanese pronunciation), with the Christian name Minerva. In Chinese, it would mean "mystery bookmark", while Minerva is the Goddess of wisdom.
Had to look up 栞 (kan) to find its pronunciation, almost tried to read it as 瑟 (se). Try to read the name in Chinese and interpret the sound in Japanese, you'll be surprised. Imagine she is walking together with a Japanese friend when a Chinese friend passes by and call her name in Mandarin, that will be confusing, no?
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 11:14   Link #97
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
When picking an anime name, just choose one that has a deep meaning.

I am planning to name my daughter 天理 (Tenri in Japanese-pronunciation) if I ever had one, with the Christian name Diana. In Chinese, it would mean "heavenly will", while Diana is the alternate name of our moon.

Pretty names, yes, but those are not Christian names. They're Classical , more accurately Roman names (which makes them ten times cooler).

Also Athena>Minerva any day .
Old 2011-11-05, 01:47   Link #98
Byakou

I always thought it was ridiculous how people always give their kids names that millions of other people also have. Don't you want your child to be unique, instead of being yet another "Catherine" or yet another "Elisabeth" and so on? I say go for Nagisa, in any country except Japan that is a unique name.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 02:25   Link #99
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

But... Then we wont get something like Catherine the XXXXXXXI in the future...

But I do agree that uniqueness in name can be good at times depending on the name itself.
Old 2011-11-05, 02:34   Link #100
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Well y'know, there are weird instances in which you don't know if you're 100% happy with the origin of your name. My parents named me "Thomas" after the only person who placed his hands upon the wounds of the risen Messiah, which I think is really cool. But at the same time, he's the only one who refused to acknowledge his existence UNTIL he felt those wounds, which is a strange counterweight for me when I think of it.

Much like that, who knows about Nagisa? It all depends on how they view it and where it came from. If your child grows up to think that anime's that creepy thing that old, lonely men watch every night in their basements, then she might not like it. If she appreciates it for the creative medium that it is, then she might just love it. My fear is the retarded pronunciations they'd use; it's already been addressed, but many foreigners will say "Na-GEE-sa" which might just ruin the original intent of the name.

By the way, if I ever have a daughter, I want to name her "Hannah" but with the spelling and pronunciation "Hana", meaning flower, blossom or even beautiful in Japanese.

Tags
baby names, clannad, nagisa