AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 28 34.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 19.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-07, 17:47   Link #21
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
We'll only see him in such a pose if he crosses paths with Diana, lol.

The cellphone accounts said it cost Akira only Y60 to get the PM to say "gyafun." (I guess that means "uncle", like "I give up"?) But it cost him Y220,000 to trace Saki's whereabouts.

And thanks for the extra info, hamstar.
Manipulating politicians comes cheap these days, doesn't it? :P

Thanks for the various summaries, everyone. Although thankfully subs are quick for this show...

Akira's pretty smooth. Nice one. *thumbs up*
Old 2009-05-07, 20:03   Link #22
hamstar
just passing by

my favorite part of the episode is Oosugi feeling nausious but refusing to puke the dinner that cost him 800 dollars. Then he gets a call from saki and gets upset again "if you had a bf why the #$@# didnt you just tell me! I would of backed off then..." Then to top it off we see Diana see Oosugi and the viewer knows he's going to victimized by her.
Old 2009-05-07, 20:04   Link #23
Raiga
tl;dr

Poor guy has the worst luck, eh?
Old 2009-05-07, 20:08   Link #24
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Poor guy has the worst luck, eh?
well it's not luck really, Oosugi has no game, he doesnt know how spark attraction that's why he's in the friend's zone. I used to be just like him. I think many guys are exactly like him, him getting flaked on by saki really does emulate real life experiences of everyday people. Even the truck running past him tells us how he feels at the moment when he sees saki with akira (he feels like being hit by a truck). We also see the interview that's completely just for show. This is the kind of stuff that happens all the time but rarely see on television, that's why this show rocks - It's called realism.
Old 2009-05-07, 20:21   Link #25
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
O.o
*skips over wall of text*
@ kaoru - Methinks the idea for the use of spoilers even for present information, is simply out of common courtesy. Since people post and talk about different aspects of an episode in various degrees of detail, a spoiler gives someone a choice to want to know more if they wish, rather than having the choice taken away from them and their eyes happen to read a piece of info they'd rather have not known.

As I said earlier, this episode will probably appeal to the H&C fanbase who're following this series a hell of a lot more.
Since I generally dislike shojo stories, with the angst, angst, love triangles, the 'he loves me, he loves me not' and the rest of it, it was awesome to have the rug pulled from beneath my feet for this episode, rather than coming out with a 'it was obvious, meh' kinda feeling.
I'm not aware of the conventions used in H&C for character art (eg: the entire oval cheek blushing thing to give their feelings away) - so going in blind for most part, prefer it that way.
My expectance was more for things like episode 4 (the sci-fi GITS like apect), the intrigue, the game, the murder and the suspense, given that's its Kamiyama who wrote the story.
So to have this soap drama of an episode was kinda like a:
Wha... is this the same series? xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Anyway, a big thank you to Akira for what he did do this ep - to help cheer up Saki. Seeing a depressed Saki is rather depressing - to this viewer anyway.
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like Saki much?
Here's a girl who in just 5 days (in their real time) has stayed out all night with a stranger, lied to her sister, asked her friends to lie on her behalf, has a thing for her bro-in-law and strings one of her mates along for ages.
There's nothing about her that appeals to me (yet), she's too passive for most part, although I will give her kudos for asking Akira out for tea, since that takes guts, lol.
To simply say 'she's sweet and cute', just earns a scoff from me, I'm afraid.

I can't help but think this episode terribly bittersweet, it'll probably sting for all the "nice guys" out there, since Akira falls into that stereotypical category of the:

"Dark, handsome guy, with a mysterious air, a potentially dark and dangerous past, who's just really laid back but has this air of 'coolness' about him and seems like he'd be fun just to hang out."
He's the 'bad boy' who isn't necessarily good for you, but sure does makes things exciting and can sweep you off your feet.

I was kinda sold on him from his 'I'm a terrorist' line from the trailer.
His voice, delivery and body language at that moment was just like... humina~
What can I say...
Seems Saki feels the same way from all the angsting she did in ep 4 anyways and calling him 'her prince (charming)' in ep 1...
He's intriguing and my curious is seriously piqued. The more we get to know about him and gain an affinity for his 'new persona' of his, the more we find out just how dangerous his former self was, I'm kinda conflicted here, but definitely can't wait to see how it pans out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCupCakes View Post
I could not stop squealing...and smiling C: but then I felt devasted afterwords.

I dunno what else to say.
My heart broke for Osugi, it well and truly did.
To say 'i feel sorry for him' doesn't justify it at all especially when he ended up screaming,
'If she was already interested in someone else, why didn't she just <expletive> tell me?!'
(Damn straight)
Tears kinda brimmed there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
How long is this series?
isn't it a bit too early for em kissing?
0_o
I thought the same thing xD
Short series, yes, but given the circumstances which it occurred.... Akira... well I mentioned the 'bad boy' thing earlier.

@ hamstar - I could deny your statement, but since it seems you've made up your mind regardless, there's probably very little point, since it is a justified allegation given how vague I write things each week.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-05-07 at 20:46.
Old 2009-05-07, 20:23   Link #26
Raiga
tl;dr

Well, I guess his tact with Saki isn't exactly luck, nor is his over-drinking, but he's pretty unfortunate to have seen her going off with a guy she never told him about, and the cliffhanger run-in with Diana there, you gotta admit that's unlucky. I mean, talk about a crappy day. XD
Old 2009-05-07, 20:56   Link #27
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

@ hamstar - I could deny your statement, but since it seems you've made up your mind regardless, there's probably very little point, since it is a justified allegation given how vague I write things each week.
translation -> you owned me
Old 2009-05-07, 21:08   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. Diana was probably going for the guy with the umbrella on the other side of the street. We'll see.

2. Mystique, I know for a fact that you are not the only person who dislikes Saki, but I like her. And she is a lot more than just "sweet and cute." She went off to DC on her own. She is 22, not a little girl. She can stay out all night with anyone she likes. She is upset that she loves her brother in law, but you can't blame anyone for their feelings, just for what they do about them, which in her case was keep them hidden. Those lies about where she was were white lies, as well as being very normal and human. She didn't tell Oosugi about Akira in part because she didn't know if Akira would ever call her back.

I can sympathize with Oosugi all too well, but he hangs around her like a bad odor, never taking indifference for an answer, while being too nice a guy to tell off. I can't deny, however, that her comment in ep1 about him calling indicates she may take a small delight in knowing at least someone likes her that much, even if she doesn't like him that much. Not the best way to be, but very normal and interesting.

3. Mystique, as for whether there should be spoilers in these threads, I am against it, but if the majority of people in the thread want to use spoilers, that's okay, I will too. However, the last time I said that, a mod said that no vote was necessary, the rule is that spoilers aren't required.

To tell the truth, I've been through this discussion too many times not to feel quite angry when someone accuses me of lacking "common courtesy" over this.

My point has always been that these threads are useful because they mean we can write without burying our comments in spoilers. If we can't, we might as well keep using the general thread. What are you doing in a thread about an episode if you haven't seen the episode? If you want to speculate, do it in the previous episode thread or in the speculation thread. Rather than that, you want to hang around here and force everyone to put their comments in spoilers for your convenience. Is that courtesy?

4. Another thing I liked about the riding away scene, hamstar, was how Akira zoomed in front of the truck and slipped by it. It gave a feeling of danger, and also of him being determined and skillful. As well as symbolizing Oosugi's feelings, as you say.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-07, 23:22   Link #29
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
2. Mystique, I know for a fact that you are not the only person who dislikes Saki, but I like her. And she is a lot more than just "sweet and cute." She went off to DC on her own. She is 22, not a little girl. She can stay out all night with anyone she likes. She is upset that she loves her brother in law, but you can't blame anyone for their feelings, just for what they do about them, which in her case was keep them hidden. Those lies about where she was were white lies, as well as being very normal and human. She didn't tell Oosugi about Akira in part because she didn't know if Akira would ever call her back.

I can sympathize with Oosugi all too well, but he hangs around her like a bad odor, never taking indifference for an answer, while being too nice a guy to tell off. I can't deny, however, that her comment in ep1 about him calling indicates she may take a small delight in knowing at least someone likes her that much, even if she doesn't like him that much. Not the best way to be, but very normal and interesting.
You said it.
It's blatantly obvious from the entire scooby gang too bout his affection for her. She doesn't seem incredibly active (unless only being around Akira makes her bold) and from the way she cuts his call in ep 3 without a 'see you later/tomorrow, she seems fed up somewhat, but she lets it drag and probably has let it drag for ages and ages.
(Well if not, then we wouldn't have the heartbreak hotel ep, I'm aware)
I know of her age, responsibilities and feelings that make her 'human', as she more or less stated it in this episode, she's currently in pain. Her imperfection is partially what'll make discussion controversial in regards to her and so some people, it'll be a source of affinity towards Saki.
For me, I still don't care for her at present, seeing as I couldn't help but think 'how rude' when she more or less storms out of her home instead of 'aww, poor girl', hee hee.

You could place three 22 year old girls in the same position as her with the same responsibilities and pain, but depending on their individual character or attitudes, chances are that they'll react and deal with the situation given differently, if we're going to relate to how human she's being.
(Example: Guy you're dazzled by, brings up your favourite movie especially for you, but hasn't joined you for it. How about going to the projection room to make that that he's, gee I dunno? Not hurt?)
By her personality or as it was written by the creators, she doesn't, but rather just tells Mameshiba:
'He could have told me if he wanted to be alone.'
And writes a note.
-Another girl may have gone to the room to check on him in order to confront him angrily.
-Another girl may have gone to the room in order to check on him while feeling really concerned.
-Another girl may have just left without writing a note or texting him ever again.

Since we're only going to be given the one scenario according to Saki Morimi, at present, it's not enough for me to warm up to her, no matter what she's going through, she's too passive.
We're only five eps in at present, which is still less than half the series, so we'll see how we go and how she deals with things later on, but for now, no go with me.
Thus my 2 pence from the 'do not like Saki' corner of the boxing ring.
Quote:
3. Mystique, as for whether there should be spoilers in these threads, I am against it, but if the majority of people in the thread want to use spoilers, that's okay, I will too. However, the last time I said that, a mod said that no vote was necessary, the rule is that spoilers aren't required.

To tell the truth, I've been through this discussion too many times not to feel quite angry when someone accuses me of lacking "common courtesy" over this.
I did say 'the idea is' - otherwise I doubt we'd have the rules written as strictly as they are every week.
I hazard to say, if you've been through this many many times, then people generally were thinking similar thoughts to me.
Least on my end from the moderators (in this case Pellissier) there hasn't really been any amendment of the first post lately, (generic copy & paste?), so I'm going of what I read and making my assumption of why they're fairly strict with it.
I assume at least for the first 24hrs after airing or so, or pre subtitles, placing them within them would be appreciated more than not, but *shrugs* - if eitherway works and mods are happy, then I guess it's fine as it is.

EDIT:
Wow 1/10? O.o
gonzo562 - if you don't mind, please let me know what didn't do it for you this episode? Not gonna rant and rage or anything, just curious to see if you're generally not feeling the series, or if the emotional drama aspect didn't do it for you this time.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-05-07 at 23:51.
Old 2009-05-08, 00:25   Link #30
slayer545-sama
Banned

Higashi no Eden Episode 5 RAW Discussion

WOW for the beginning of this episode. O_O WTF? Kuroha the new girl is just FAP, FAP AND FAP! :31056: Like that. What bitch though. Cuts the penis off the guy with a cigar cutter. O_O WTF! I admit the guy is ugly and fat but where the hell are the human rights? FINALLY THE KISS HAPPENS BETWEEN SAKI AND AKIRA! FINALLY! FINALLY! Other than that SAKI IS SUPER HOT!
What I liked:
Spoiler:

What I did not like:
Spoiler:

THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST SCENES OF SAKI AND AKIRA OTHER THAN THE BOAT SCENE!

Lovely scenery! Very nice! Loved it!

THE KISS! YES! YES! FINALLY! THEY KISS! YOU THE MAN AKIRA! I AM HAPPY FOR BOTH OF YOU! FINALLY!
Spoiler:

CRAZY FOR SAKI MORIMI! I love her so much through all this episode! SHE IS SO WELL DONE! SO INNOCENT LOOKING! Her skin tone, hair color and eyes are so cute and MOE! MOE!
Spoiler:

I would not mind having the sex with Kuroha but would kill after before I become like that guy who got killed. SHE IS HOT! A BITCH TO SCREW OR FAP TO.
Spoiler:

I absolutely hated this part! Poor guy! He got his dick cut off by Kuroha! CRAZY BITCH!
Spoiler:

SAKI MORIMI DON'T CRY! DON'T FEEL SAD BECAUSE I AM CRYING WITH YOU! FELT SO BAD SEEING HER LIKE THIS! TT_TT TT_TT
Spoiler:

Sure was nice of Akira to have come pick up Saki at her most down moment.
Spoiler:

Possible theories.......Could Satoshi join up with Kuroha (since she is interested in #9) to screw over Akira because Saki is with him?
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-08, 00:41   Link #31
NakedAngelX

Spoiler for Ep 5:
Old 2009-05-08, 00:55   Link #32
slayer545-sama
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngelX View Post
Spoiler for Ep 5:
You mean Satoshi or Akira? Yeah I would be also careful of girls like her.
Old 2009-05-08, 01:31   Link #33
Yushi

Spoiler for Eh, I'll hide it just in case:
Old 2009-05-08, 01:34   Link #34
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
It's called realism.
Right.
When was the last time you were approached by a serial-killing penis-slicing seductive mistress when you were getting your ass drunk over broken heart?
Old 2009-05-08, 02:27   Link #35
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Right.
When was the last time you were approached by a serial-killing penis-slicing seductive mistress when you were getting your ass drunk over broken heart?
lol well I wont deny the selecao and all the things surrounding it really push the boundaries of realism. You have phones that can wire a 100 million dollars and virtually pay for anything from murder to bribing practically anyone you please. Not to mention the science fiction of wiping out memory from the brain.

but aside of that the human relationships we see and the human nature of characters like saki & Oosugi are things we see in real life. It's harder to talk about the selecao because these are people placed in extraordinary circumstances.
Old 2009-05-08, 08:29   Link #36
NakedAngelX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
You mean Satoshi or Akira? Yeah I would be also careful of girls like her.
I meant Saki's gonna feel horrible for not meeting him as promised, therefore caused his death probably~~ And then goes into the typical "fuck if i were strong he wouldn't have to die" or something like that lol.

But let's hope the author'll make it different.
Old 2009-05-08, 09:00   Link #37
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
You could place three 22 year old girls in the same position as her with the same responsibilities and pain, but depending on their individual character or attitudes, chances are that they'll react and deal with the situation given differently, if we're going to relate to how human she's being.
(Example: Guy you're dazzled by, brings up your favourite movie especially for you, but hasn't joined you for it. How about going to the projection room to make that that he's, gee I dunno? Not hurt?)
By her personality or as it was written by the creators, she doesn't, but rather just tells Mameshiba:
'He could have told me if he wanted to be alone.'
And writes a note.
-Another girl may have gone to the room to check on him in order to confront him angrily.
-Another girl may have gone to the room in order to check on him while feeling really concerned.
-Another girl may have just left without writing a note or texting him ever again.

Since we're only going to be given the one scenario according to Saki Morimi, at present, it's not enough for me to warm up to her, no matter what she's going through, she's too passive.
We're only five eps in at present, which is still less than half the series, so we'll see how we go and how she deals with things later on, but for now, no go with me.
Thus my 2 pence from the 'do not like Saki' corner of the boxing ring.
From the Saki sidelines...

Just call her Hachi (as in Nana Komatsu from NANA). That's prob what the female viewers are being reminded of.

She's going with the flow and her indecisiveness causes a lot of pain. She prob is still expecting Akira to save her. On top of being a Messiah, he's now Saki's "Prince".
Old 2009-05-08, 13:05   Link #38
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Right.
l'v heard of angry lovers who have been cheated on cut their mans sausage while they where asleep... there's this one occasion where the cops chased after some stray dog that had the thrown away sausage in his mouth.
mmm, good time.
Old 2009-05-08, 13:31   Link #39
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Good point about Hachi and Saki, orion. But Saki is a much less flighty and emotionally exuberant character. And she graduated from college, whereas Hachi hardly got in. Nevertheless, from the very beginning, we know that she is hoping for a prince. If you can't get into that kind of old-fashioned feminine attitude, then it's reasonable for you not to warm up to her.

The idea that she never went to look in the projection booth bothered me, too, Mystique, but is probably wrong. She probably went up and looked through the window and didn't see him. She could then have gone to the apartment and not found him there, either. She had no reason to suspect foul play. More reason to suspect he had just run off again. Anyway, it's not for sure that she didn't check on him.

In Washington, she was determined to throw her coin even after the police had talked to her. She is not a fraidy-cat, really. She went off to Washington on her own. She went into that run-down apartment building on her own. She agreed to go back to Japan with the Naked Prince, etc.

I guess her going with the flow hurts Oosugi (I like to call him that because she does, and also because it is a cute homophone for "too much"). But she really isn't going with the flow there. She treats him only as a friend. The rest is his problem.
Spoiler for ep6 preview:
As for the job, Ryousuke could see that she wasn't too enthusiastic. That's why he repeats that she can wait until she finds a job she likes. She wanted to work in publishing but I think she rejected a job offer there because she felt the attitude wasn't right. So she got provisionally accepted to the construction company -- then took off for America on her graduation trip rather than be available for the first interview they suggested. Seems like a fairly normal level of irresponsibility to me. And perhaps a subconscious desire not to have that job she didn't want. Saving herself for helping Akira save the world, lol.

By the way, I think Ryousuke may have feelings for Saki, too. He is so ready to keep supporting her. And they showed Asako in the background as he said that this time, as if to possibly hint at something like that.

As for spoilers, if you look at post #1, you see the rule "Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread." Spoilers about events in this very episode are specifically not mentioned.

Diana (Shiratori Diana Kuroha): I'm hoping she's only killing bad people.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-08, 14:17   Link #40
slayer545-sama
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Spoiler:
All I got to say is I LOVE THOSE TYPE ANALYZATION! So keep it up! On another note Saki might have courage but she has fear. The thing I like about her is her innocence and what compliments such as her white skin, her puppy like eyes and perhaps her voice.
Closed Thread