Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-10-17, 10:27   Link #1
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Japanese GameCube

Hi.
I'm planning to buy a GameCube. I won't hide it: the only game I care for is Naruto 3. So I got the idea of buying a Japanse GameCube, so I won't have to use FreeLoader or other tricks to play it.
But I fear to have problems with the cables or other stuff because of incompatibilities. Note that I'm from Spain. There shouldn't be any problem in the video/audio field, 'cause all my TV's at home support both PAL and NTSC. What I fear the most is that I won't be able to use European Controllers or Memory Cards.
Another issue is the electric plug. AFAIK, the Japanese system is different of the European.
The manuals will be in Japanese. Well, more material to practice my studies .
Does anyone know of any other problems I can encounter? I'd really appreciate any info about it.
Note that I'm very ignorant in the gaming world. My last console was a Sega MegaDrive (Genesis) and since then I've been all over computers, so I don't know a damn about the last generation's consoles.
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 10:58   Link #2
Shift_

just get a freeloader...they work fine...

and who needs instructions to set up a game cube? plug it in and go, all controllers and mem cards are compaitable around the world.

and if you EVER want to play any games from your area you would need toget a japanese freeloader (if they even exist) just some food for thought.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 12:31   Link #3
hooliganj
Team Player

A super duper handy site for anyone who travels or imports appliances: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

As the chart says:
Japan - 100V, 50/60Hz, A and B plugs
US - 120V, 60Hz, A and B plugs
Spain - 230V, 60Hz, C and F plugs

Japanese outlets use the same plug as the US, but it's different enough that you'll want to be careful. Double-check the specs on whatever adapter you plan to use to make sure that the output power range goes all the way down to 100V. For preference, you also want one that's capable of outputing at either 50Hz or 60Hz, but that may be difficult to find. Check the Cube itself when it arrives to see which type is required. You're lucky that it's 230V where you live, since adapters that reduce voltage ar a lot cheaper than the ones that raise it.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:52   Link #4
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
you rather pay few hundred dollar more because you dont want to switch disks?
im not rich or have alot of money, so i dont understand that.
i preordered GNT3 and FreeLoader pack. I would rather save that money to get other games.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 21:24   Link #5
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
you rather pay few hundred dollar more because you dont want to switch disks?
im not rich or have alot of money, so i dont understand that.
i preordered GNT3 and FreeLoader pack. I would rather save that money to get other games.
How is this going to cost him a few hundred dollars more?
He doesn't have a gamecube yet, so he could very well get the japanese gamecube to get rid of the freeloader issue. Although it'll probably save him money because he doesn't have to buy a freeloader. It'll probably be drawn about even because he has to get a voltage converter.
I fail to see how it will cost him more..
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 15:24   Link #6
hooliganj
Team Player

Nintendo retains the patent on every standard they invent for their systems, which lets them charge whatever they want for the cables and accessories. Even so, that price seems a little steep. What's the after-market scene like over there? Here in the US, there are several companies that specialize in making adapters, controllers, memory cards and anything else but have nothing to do with Nintendo, and the competition drives down the prices. If you don't that many of these in Spain, the prices would be pretty high.

Also, for the power adapter, you could try just ignoring the Japanese power cable and getting a box that would convert the 230V in the wall directly into the 12V your Cube would need. 3.25A is really high, but you could probably find a laptop or camcorder adapter that would give you the right output.

The US Gamecube I have here has the same power ratings, so if the Japanese version is the same, you could also import a Japanese Cube and buy a replacement power adapter for a European Cube. They should be compatible.
Old 2004-10-18, 17:35   Link #7
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
How is this going to cost him a few hundred dollars more?
He doesn't have a gamecube yet, so he could very well get the japanese gamecube to get rid of the freeloader issue. Although it'll probably save him money because he doesn't have to buy a freeloader. It'll probably be drawn about even because he has to get a voltage converter.
I fail to see how it will cost him more..
my bad, theres cheaper ones, when i saw it few days ago, they only had 300 dollars one minimum.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 17:49   Link #8
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
my bad, theres cheaper ones, when i saw it few days ago, they only had 300 dollars one minimum.
I see, I understand now ^_^
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 21:51   Link #9
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
By the way Shift_, Freeloader DOES work with Japanese GameCubes. So if you by a Jap GC, you can use Freeloader to play Euro and US games on it.
My game cube can play games from both the sates and japan without additional softwar/hardware/mods on it. I just press the little button behind the cude to change the regions The only thing that becomes a problem is that you can't use the same mem card of both regions, you have to have seperate ones for them.
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:31   Link #10
hooliganj
Team Player

Apparently, the current version of the freeloader lets you get away with saving both types on the same card, but it's safest to have a seperate card for your Japanese saves, just in case. It's not like memory cards cost much. Of course, you said you aren't planning on playing any non-import games, so I guess it isn't an issue.
Old 2004-10-25, 11:02   Link #11
Blaat

Quote:
Since when is there a switch to change regions on GameCube?
Take a look here. Now tell me, where's that damn button?
Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic, but it's difficult to believe that such a thing exists by default in a console (at least, nowadays). If you really have it, it must be some kind of mod.
He modded his GameCube, I don't suggest you do it unless you plan on only playing imported games.

Quote:
While looking at the console and it's accessories, I found an RGB cable. It was a Nintendo's Official and the prices was... 30€!!!!
My god, how can a simple RGB SCART cable be so expensive? The description said that it had better image quality, specially for 60Hz games. But aren't 60Hz NTSC? And NTSC games are incompatible with the PAL GC unless you use FreeLoader, right? How can 60Hz have more quality?
To sum up: Could someone explain me what kind of rip-off is this?
All PAL gameconsole of this generation feature the ability to play the game in both 50hz (classic, if your TV can't handle it) or 60Hz(which is basicly PAL at NTSC speed I believe). So technically speaking its not a rip off.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 11:42   Link #12
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
All PAL gameconsole of this generation feature the ability to play the game in both 50hz (classic, if your TV can't handle it) or 60Hz(which is basicly PAL at NTSC speed I believe). So technically speaking its not a rip off.
RGB cables (or any cable type, for that matter) don't care what frequency or signal they carry. You just have to make sure that the appliance is sending the same type of signal at the same frequency that your TV is expecting at the other end. Even coaxial cable, which is frequency dependant, can handle the difference between 50 and 60 without any problems. I know this because I've tried it - you can get caught up in some weird experiments working at a RadioShack.

If it was actually an RGB cable though, with the unique Gamecube video plug at the other end, then that would be the adapter for Hi-Def picture, in which case 30 euros is not a bad deal. But if you don't have a Hi-Def TV, then you should find a RWY, more commonly known as an RCA or phono cable in the US, although PAL TVs sometimes use BNC plugs for the inputs.

In summary, it's not a rip-off, but 50 or 60Hz has nothing to do with it.
Old 2004-10-28, 06:14   Link #13
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Since when is there a switch to change regions on GameCube?
Take a look here. Now tell me, where's that damn button?
Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic, but it's difficult to believe that such a thing exists by default in a console (at least, nowadays). If you really have it, it must be some kind of mod.

I already read that Japanese and US/Europe games use different saving systems, so you can't use the same memory card to store the saves from both kind of games.
Haha, Mine had a button that allows me to play the best of both worlds! I need two card because of the region defference. By the way I have the limited edition Platinum Gamecube from toys R us in Hong Kong
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote