AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 56 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 39.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 19.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.43%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-16, 06:36   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll [2006 TV ep. 3]

Welcome to the discussion thread for Suzumiya Haruhi (also know as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Novel or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Novel / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-23 at 10:26.
Old 2006-04-16, 10:30   Link #2
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Ep03 Pics are posted on 2chan (scroll down)

http://dat.2chan.net/18/res/2664941.htm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-16, 11:09   Link #3
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Let me guess

Spoiler:

Using moe power can go a loooooong way
Old 2006-04-16, 13:15   Link #4
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
heh. its still sunday here. wee! but i guess i have to wait until tomorrow for the fansubs

*grabs the raw episode to watch*

Haruhiism! ahh.....sated....for now.....
Old 2006-04-16, 13:16   Link #5
Yashiro

The raw for Ep.3 is out. Downloading just to tide me over until I can understand
Old 2006-04-16, 13:17   Link #6
Omniscient

Episode 03 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-16, 13:21   Link #7
Keitarou
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Well, overall an 8 for this episode +1 for Haruhi dressed up (she's my goddess now for sure =P), makes it a 9. ;)

A few screencaps for the interested:

Click me for screens!
Old 2006-04-16, 15:35   Link #8
dxgarten

Episode 3 screencaps and review

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-16, 15:37   Link #9
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Whoa... well, I guess they really are
Spoiler:

Haruhi just got even more interesting...
Old 2006-04-16, 15:50   Link #10
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Koizumi still didn't get his appearance... On top of that, we're really heading into Taikutsu next. Unless they're going to skip the rest of Yuki's "introduction", the next episode will be completely filled by Yuki's intro part 2 + Koizumi appearance + baseball competition?

Other than Koizumi being missing (he was supposed to appear between the Bunnygirl and Yuki's intro event) this episode was also another faithful reproduction of the novel. Up to around page 120 I think?

I guess having one "intro" after another would be too much for first time viewers, so they decided to pop in an action event or two in between to buffer things? It makes sense.

High points of this episode include the excellent portrayal of Kyon's powerlessness in the club room. I got a good laugh from seeing him dash for his life out of the room when Haruhi began to strip down right in front of him. Mikuru's "No! Don't look!" was perfect too. ^^; And of course, the "computer aquisition" scene I've been talking about, perfect. "I'll spread the word out that all the club members here gang ra*beep*ed this child".

The door in Yuki's room... All of you who knows what's on the other side will probably notice it, but... that's one huge door. ^^;
The musics were all excellent as usual too, they all fitted the situation perfectly, especially Yuki's intro in the end.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-16 at 16:10.
Old 2006-04-16, 15:54   Link #11
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Windows Media Player files hate my mac T_T Had to watch it on one of my school computers... Can't laugh as loud that way... anyway...

I like how they upped the zanniness of the blackmail scene with that wonderful dropkick from Haruhi and the way she buzzed around taking compromising pictures. But having Haruhi handle the camera instead of making Kyon do it (as in the novel) does make Kyon a little less 'complicit' in Haruhi's 'mistreatment' of Mikuru.

I smiled when they put in that extra interaction (I think it is...) between Kyon and Asakura Ryoko on the way to school.

I still don't believe next week is already moving out of the 1st novel and into the 3rd. Yuki still hasn't finished her explanations. I wonder how they'll handle Itsuki and Mikuru's intro's on top of going into the 3rd novel. Which reminds me.. I better hurry up with my reading

Oh.. and "Episode 7!!!" was a nice touch

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-16, 16:45   Link #12
Adigard

If you guys don't mind... where are you pulling the Raws from? None of the sources I usually rely on have this one posted yet.

//EDIT: nvm, reread Xris's OP ^^;; sorry

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-16 at 16:59.
Old 2006-04-16, 16:50   Link #13
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I have to hand it to KyoAni's direction with this series. It caught even the novel readers off-hand (with Vol3 out of the blue).

This really makes me wonder how far are we going to go in the novel's storyline? Season 1 ending with Vol4 (Disappearence) makes sense but...

I feel terribly bad for Mikuru. She looks to have suffered emotional traumas from the 2 events. Haruhi and her weirdness in animated form is beyond comprehension (and I think Kyon stops to make sense of her actions altogether for his own sanity)...

this has been a great episode.
Old 2006-04-16, 16:57   Link #14
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Oh.. and "Episode 7!!!" was a nice touch
That's actually quite an important clue. Since Haruhi called the Taikutsu episode "episode 7", that hints at the possibility that Yuutsu (volume 1) will actually take 6 episodes to finish (makes sense page wise). So it's likely what they're doing is sliding in events from the later volumes to "space out" the "major" events that's going to happen in the latter parts of volume 1.

Maybe something like:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu II
Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu III ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
If you guys don't mind... where are you pulling the Raws from? None of the sources I usually rely on have this one posted yet.
To quote Mikuru: 禁則事項です (That's a prohibited subject)
No, really, read xris' post up top. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
I have to hand it to KyoAni's direction with this series. It caught even the novel readers off-hand (with Vol3 out of the blue).
Well, we already know episode 4's title is going to be "Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu" for a while now, so it's not that big of a surprise, but it's true that it's an odd move to all of the sudden jump to a later volume without even finishing "laying down the basic introductions". Well, Kyoani hasn't disappointed anyone so far, so we'll see.
Old 2006-04-16, 17:12   Link #15
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
So far KyoAni seems to be doing well with rearranging things, and it may be more appropriate for the animated version. Novels and anime are two completely different mediums for telling stories, of course...

Loved episode three~ More Haruhi craziness~ <3 And of course, I can't wait for the next episode. ^__^;

Old 2006-04-16, 17:14   Link #16
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I like how the screen gets warm and fuzzy on some of the close-ups of Mikuru. Ahh~
Old 2006-04-16, 17:26   Link #17
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
That's actually quite an important clue. Since Haruhi called the Taikutsu episode "episode 7", that hints at the possibility that Yuutsu (volume 1) will actually take 6 episodes to finish (makes sense page wise). So it's likely what they're doing is sliding in events from the later volumes to "space out" the "major" events that's going to happen in the latter parts of volume 1.

Maybe something like:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu II
Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu III ?
That's an interesting observation about 'episode 7'. Vol 1 definitely needs a lot more screen time to finish it off. Compressing it doesn't look like it would work as those events are really important. So they may actually be doing what I had asked earlier in a different thread - rearranging events to interperse between the major character intros/explanations.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-16, 17:40   Link #18
Adigard

Or perhaps they're skipping non-critical events and planning on introducing them later in the form of DVD EP's? But that doesn't make sense considering the currently released schedule. Thus far (2-3 ep's in) the show has yet to disappoint, so I'm sure they've got something in mind.

I guess we'll debate it endlessly, and find out in a week? ^^;;
Old 2006-04-16, 18:31   Link #19
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
DAMN, I hate Suzumiya already for abusing poor Mikuru so much.

I am absolutely not into moe-moe-puni-puni characters at all, and if it was just Mikuru on her own, I wouldn't have paid too much attention to her, but Haruhi is pushing it. Don't you feel sorry for the poor girl?!

I feel terribly ashamed at laughing so hard at her miseries! I know I shouldn't, but Haruhi is unbearably funny in addition to being mindlessly cruel.

I wish I knew how to quit ya, Suzumiya!
Old 2006-04-16, 19:03   Link #20
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Argh! I don't usually see Raws, but I'm very tempted to download this one.
Closed Thread