Shakugan no Shana
Solty Rei
Blood+
Fate/stay night
Noein
FMP-TSR
Black Cat
Bleach
I had been burned too many times, by Anime that had great box copy but just sucked. Now I will not buy an anime that has not been fan-subbed!
Just some of the many Anime that I have bought with this paradigm:
Gunslinger Girl
Wolf's Rain
12 Kingdoms
FMP
FMP-Fomoffu
Witch Hunter Robin
Nadia
Noir
Appleseed 2004
Steamboy
s-Cry-ed
Scrapped Princess

Last edited by Zelda1; 2006-01-16 at 15:56.
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 23:10   Link #64
Erroll

Hikaru no Go will be getting my dollars. Even though I've seen the whole in fansubs and read all the manga in scanslation, I'm still shelling out money for both.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 01:12   Link #65
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
I'm buying Princess Tutu as it comes out and will do the same for Fantastic Children.

I really want these anime to get licensed:
Honey and Clover, Monster, Mushishi, and AIR.

I wouldn't buy these as they come out (too pricey; I don't have the budget for that), but if there are box sets I really want them:
Gilgamesh, Eureka Seven, The Melody of Oblivion, Noein, and some others I'm forgetting now.

I've also bought Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent, Serial Experiments Lain, Grave of the Fireflies, Excel Saga, Yami no Matsuei, and, the most expensive out of the bunch, EVA Platinum. I think about half of my (small) collection is stuff I've seen at least part of, as is what I plan on buying in the near future.
harudasakurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 01:17   Link #66
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I bought Z Gundam, Chobits, Excel Saga, Ranma 1/2, Initial D(Only have the Japanese version), The Irresponsible Captain Tylor + OVA, Fushigi Yuugi, Full Metal Panic S1, Ah! My Goddess OVA + Movie, and about 50 other boxsets because of being able to view them first by Fansubs. I have another large list I'm slowly working on purchasing as they are released. I spent 600 dollars in September just on boxsets. It's a hardcore addiction. But it's all thanks to Fansubs that I found out about 90% of these shows. The ones I really love, I go out and buy. When I can. I've spent so much money on anime and manga....
Old 2006-01-17, 09:19   Link #67
Crucifix

Hmm, I'll be buying these because I saw the fansubs:

Full Metal Panic! TSR
Fate/Stay Night
Shakugan no Shana
Honey and Clover
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

I made it a point not to buy anime that I haven't finish watching, since sometimes we can't really predict when a series will just plain suck suddenly in the end. Not to mention that it takes a lot of money to have them ship to my country so, I'm really picky when it comes to what I buy.

I was half expecting that H & C will be licensed soon, but it seems to me that some good series that deserves a license completely eludes American companies.
Crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 08:16   Link #68
LynnieS

LOL. I posted my entries back in 2004... Let's see, then - just an update:

Almost forgot about "Gunparade March" (R1), which did come from digisubs and is completed.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 00:13   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Updated 2006 list....
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (is licensed, due out this summer, w00t)
Mahoraba: Heartful Days (wtf is wrong with the distributors, license this puppy!!!)
Kamichu!!! (also a wtf hasn't this been licensed .... family friendly stuff)
Honey & Clover (this one would probably do well even in English....)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (& A) (I'm not a mahou shoujo fan and I liked it)
Shuffle! (waffling on this one... kind of depends on if they fix the animation gaffes of the last episode.... though I think the writing sucked eggs from the end of ep 21 and on).

Anime I will not buy even if it gets licensed....
Much as I hate to say it, I'd have to think really hard about Negima before I'd buy it... they screwed it up so bad - animation in the first 10 eps and storyline in the last five eps... at least there's the manga...

I also have to say I purchased Azumanga Daioh sight unseen because I liked PaniPoniDash so much ... though it turned out to be very unlike PPD. AD is more like the Calvin & Hobbes of anime... that whimsical gentle spirit and blustery noise.

Virtually *all* the anime and manga I've purchased has been due to fansub and scanlation previews... none of which I would have risked purchasing without the input from the community.

UPDATE: Kamichu! got licensed - am buying that as it comes out. Also buying Ichigo Marimasu because of all the compare/contrasts with Azumanga Daioh ... was not disappointed. Still wondering where the HELL is the R1 versions of Mahoraba, H&C, and Nanoha ... and Tsukuyomi got pushed back to October but it will be released.

I really can't emphasize strongly enough that without fansubs I would not have encountered or ever purchased the DVDs. note to distributors: thats why the Japanese put their series ON THE FLIPPING AIRWAVES before they sell the DVDs (in which they clean up and improve the product generally).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-09-29 at 10:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 11:33   Link #70
scorpio516

Theres only two series I have already bought because of fan subs - Kenshin & Initial D

But future series to buy:
Tsubasa
Blood+
Eureka Seven
I'd love to buy bleach, but depending on its release schedule... $$$$$$$€€€€€
Original Harlock TV
MAYBE Futakoi
Space Battleship Yamato in all its pre-star blazers glory
scorpio516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 02:55   Link #71
Zalis

Watched on fansub and bought on DVD:
Fruits Basket (watched until about ep 16, then bought DVD box set)
Piano
Scrapped Princess, which became my favorite anime when I saw it on fansub, and I've subsequently bought all LE's of the DVDs.

Still-unlicensed series that I've seen on fansub that I will buy:
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (this one will come out sooner or later)
AIR TV
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Kanon
Aishiteru ze Baby

Licensed series that I have "intent" to buy when released:

Mai-Hime
Boys Be
To Heart
Negima!
Full Moon wo Sagashite (assuming Viz decides to actually subtitle the songs , ottherwise I won't buy it)

Licensed series that I illegally downloaded fansubs of, but bought the DVDs before watching a single episode:

Wolf's Rain
Gunslinger Girl
Kita he AKA "Diamond Daydreams" (haven't watched it, but will buy DVDs when they come out, since ADV doesn't usually do series like this one...I would have expected Media Blasters, since they did Sentimental Journey.)

Other than that. . .

I watched R1 DVD rips of Saikano, but then bought the series when the new box set came out. Though they're not fansubs, I have bought (and subsequently sold) bootlegs of Haibane Renmei, Utena, Noir, Chobits, Please Teacher, Ai Yori Aoshi, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, Angelic Layer, Fushigi Yuugi, and Final Fantasy Unlimited. Aside from Ai Yori Aoshi, which is delayed (I'm waiting for Geneon to do AYA in thinpack, since I'm a box freak and the Ai yori aoshi 1st season Vol. 1 + Box is nowhere to be found), I've bought or am in the process of buying the R1 DVDs for all of these series. (In fact, all of them are completely re-purchased, aside from Utena (waiting on re-released) and Fushigi Yuugi (bought the 1st 2 boxes, haven't gotten the OVAs yet).

I actually tend to buy a lot of my DVDs blind (based on reviews, DVD packaging, or word of mouth), so the vast majority of my DVDs are from shows that I had never seen fansubbed, or at least had never seen completely.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 19:09   Link #72
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

When it comes out....

Hellsing Ultimate
Tsukuyomi Moonphase
Fate Stay Night
Ergo Proxy

Series that I will start after I finish the series that I'm currently buying...

Gankutsuou- The Count of Monte Cristo
Fafner
The Galaxy Railways
Old 2006-09-25, 15:56   Link #73
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Let's see series that I saw fansubbed but plan on buying because I really loved them, here goes...

Stuff licensed already! Some released while others still pending.

-Kannaduki no Miko
-Shingetsutan Tsukihime
-Mai-HiME
-Madlax
-Noir
-Scrapped Princess
-Berserk
-Burst Angel
-Gunslinger Girl
-Grenadier
-R.O.D TV
-Koi Kaze
-Elfen Lied
-Strawberry Marshmallow
-Gokusen, The
-Shrine of the Morning Mist
-Jubei-chan 2
-Shadow Star Narutaru
-2x2 Shinobuden
-Kamichu!
-Fate/Stay Night
-Gaogaigar
-Figure 17
-Witch Hunter Robin
-Fruits Basket
-Shinkon Gattai Godannar
-Rumbling Hearts
(KimiNozo)
-Kiddy Grade (currently in process of purchasing last 2 vols.)
-Mai-Otome (when it comes out)
-Witchblade (when it comes out)
-Black Lagoon (when it comes out)
-Kurau Phantom Memory (when ADV finally takes it out from under their ASS and releases it!!)
-Phoenix, The (new Tezuka series that ran awhile back. When that's finally released)
-Blood+ (it's a long series but someone's gotta do it)

Not licensed but we'll hear about it soon enough. And I want them!!

-Strawberry Panic (when it's ever released, ranks up there for my 2nd yuri show with 'Kannaduki no Miko' being my first.)
-Simoun (when it's ever released, will be my 3rd "yuri" show. Have to complete first, but I like what I see.)
-Petopeto-san (whenever that's released)
-Welcome to the NHK! (I know I haven't finished but I like what I see so far)
-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-Magipoka
(it's a long shot)
-Shinigami no Ballad (another long shot)
-Third, The

That's it for now. After checking my list I found that this was all there was. So OVAs don't count since we said "series". This gal has some very odd picks.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."

Last edited by chrno; 2006-09-26 at 10:23.
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 00:01   Link #74
solomon

the list

Honey and Clover most definetly (one of the few series that i am reaaaaaaaaallllllyyy hoping gets put on american dvd release!) maybe Parakiss, cause Osamu Kobayashi is just tooo hip. It took one or two eps but Welcome to the NHk is up there with Honey and Clover too, such great quirky characters and just really damn funny/enjoyable overall.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 00:01   Link #75
Carrie Asagiri
Knight Saber

Send a message via MSN to Carrie Asagiri Send a message via Yahoo to Carrie Asagiri
I know that I've got a pretty long list about "to buy anime" but the ones that I can remember right now are:

Argentosoma
Boogiepop Phantom
(waiting for the new boxset with the movie included)
Azumanga Daioh
Noir
Scrapped Princess
Paradise Kiss
(will be released in December)
Boys Be
Ayashi no Ceres
Kiddy Grade
Fullmetal Alchemist
Juuni Kokki
Witchblade
(When it comes on dvd)
Nana (I know that it wasn't licensed yet, but when it come I'll buy it for sure)
Carrie Asagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 09:03   Link #76
foreverwhiteknight
Random Goodness

sadly most of what I've seen on fansubs I either didn't like that much or it isn't liscenced haha. but none the less:

Want to buy because of fansubs:
Air - if it's put out here.. maybe it has been?
Kanon - see Air
Haibane Renmei
[B]Naruto/B] - I'll only buy this when they come out with all the uncut box sets, I don't like my anime shreaded
Full Metal Panic
Initial D - Also if they have uncut box sets.. I bought #2 of the individual DVDs that's out now .. well bought it used.. and it was so disappointing
Chobits - First anime I ever really loved.. I just don't have the money to get it yet
A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar - see Air
Slayers - It's pretty old so they prolly all come in nice box sets.. but like Chobits, I just don't iave the money right now

Have bought because of fansubs:
Love Hina - got all of it (original series, specials and again ova) after reading the fan-translated manga

Though most of my anime was picked up at random because I'd either find them used at a good price and condition or come across some nice ones at "Dollar General" doe $3 each
foreverwhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 22:09   Link #77
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Looking at this list, it makes me think true fansubbing is dead.

It used to be done to generate interest for a series so that it would be licensed and released. Now it's all about watching a show without paying for it.

Manny of those shows were licensed before they even aired so it wasn't necessary, thus highlighting my point.
but is that neccesarily a bad thing? People will buy the merchandise for any kind of entertainment they like. Why do you think that shirts for various bands are so common? Weird Al Yankovic, for example, is confident enough in this idea that he promotes piracy. I think Weird Al is awesome, so I'm definately gonna go buy his CD once I get some spare money together.

imho I would pay for fansubs if I could see them on japanese tv from the US. i.e. I pay a normal cable subscription price for 1-5 japanese channels so long as the anime on those channels has fansub quality subs.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 10:41   Link #78
gargleblaster
spluh.

I've purchased a bunch of stuff after watching it on fansubs, but my next one will be Mushishi, when it becomes available. Mainly because I want to have it available to show my friends, as an example of what anime is capable of being, other than flying robots and ecchi stuff! It's a quiet, thought-provoking series that would probably change a lot of people's expectations towards the medium.
gargleblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 10:50   Link #79
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Hmmmm well this would be if I had all the money in the world XD

Full Metal Alchemist
Trigun
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Blood+
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Bleach