AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-07, 20:58   Link #22841
Seitsuki
Onee!

Ah, but that would require uniform healthcare! Can't have that now, can we. Big government is out to get you. Just look where the NHS got the UK, bunch of nurses parading around the Olympic stadium, undermining good ol' Christian values..

You know where that money would be better spent? Arming the general populace. Would have taken care of the situation real quick. What do you mean there's a hole in that argument? There's just no pleasing you lot is there?
Old 2012-08-07, 21:44   Link #22842
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down
Ukrainian authorities have taken down Demonoid.com, one of the world's largest torrent file-sharing sites.

I for one hope Demonoid bounces back, that site had a lot of hard to find stuff.
Old 2012-08-07, 22:44   Link #22843
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down
Ukrainian authorities have taken down Demonoid.com, one of the world's largest torrent file-sharing sites.

I for one hope Demonoid bounces back, that site had a lot of hard to find stuff.
Okay, who bribed the Ukraine authorities to pretend to be less corrupt?
Old 2012-08-08, 06:45   Link #22844
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Flood waters rise again with new rains.

It's waterworld hell in Metro Manila right now. Almost 60% of the metropolis is still under water for almost 3 whole days.

The hospital where I work in (UERMMMC) has the entire first floor already flooded to the brim. Thankfully the patients were already moved to higher floors, but now the hospital is running on a generator, water isn't running anymore and the place is running out of food and potable water. I wasn't on duty so I managed to not get stuck during the chaos that ensued. I made a supply run to some of my juniors this afternoon before the second set of rain hit, but it's going to run out soon.

I can't even imagine what it's like for the rest of the metropolis.

I'm making another supply run tomorrow because the hospital is nearly out of potable water. I'll be bringing water regardless of weather, so let's hope the rain give me and other volunteers a moment of clarity to get out stuff in, or me and the others will also get stranded. Wish us all luck.
Old 2012-08-08, 07:05   Link #22845
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay, who bribed the Ukraine authorities to pretend to be less corrupt?
Her.

Old 2012-08-08, 08:36   Link #22846
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

It's waterworld hell in Metro Manila right now. Almost 60% of the metropolis is still under water for almost 3 whole days.

The hospital where I work in (UERMMMC) has the entire first floor already flooded to the brim. Thankfully the patients were already moved to higher floors, but now the hospital is running on a generator, water isn't running anymore and the place is running out of food and potable water. I wasn't on duty so I managed to not get stuck during the chaos that ensued. I made a supply run to some of my juniors this afternoon before the second set of rain hit, but it's going to run out soon.

I'm making another supply run tomorrow because the hospital is nearly out of potable water. I'll be bringing water regardless of weather, so let's hope the rain give me and other volunteers a moment of clarity to get out stuff in, or me and the others will also get stranded. Wish us all luck.
+1 and also some survival gear, including an AM radio. I'm also keeping tabs on the weather via NOAH (the system, unfortunately, needs some help with extra donations of diesel fuel for the generators):
http://noah.pscigrid.gov.ph/
Old 2012-08-08, 09:36   Link #22847
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

If I was there I could have lent my Zodiac expertise to use. Good luck to you then!

EDIT :

Spoiler for Some encouragement:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-08-08 at 10:27.
Old 2012-08-08, 10:58   Link #22848
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

More political gyrations in China as the leadership succession approaches:
Party Bristles at Military’s Push for More Sway in China

Quote:
With China’s once-a-decade leadership transition only months away, the party is pushing back with a highly visible campaign against disloyalty and corruption, even requiring all officers to report financial assets.

“Party authorities have come to realize that the military is encroaching on political affairs,” said one political scientist with high-level party ties. “Although the party controls the gun, the expression of viewpoints from within the military on political issues has aroused a high level of alarm.” He, like others who agreed to discuss internal party affairs, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals.

Some generals and admirals have loudly called for the government to assert control over the South China Sea, the focus of increasingly rancorous territorial disputes between several Southeast Asian countries and China, where nationalist spirits are on the rise among the public and politicians as well. And earlier this year, leaders in Beijing became alarmed over ties between generals and the disgraced Politburo member Bo Xilai.
Ah, yes, the South China Sea. I was talking with a friend the other night about parallels between the current situation in Southeast Asia and the various regional wars fought around the turn of the twentieth century. Are we headed for a rerun of the Sino-Japanese, Russo-Japanese, or Spanish-American wars?

Congratulations to our Singaporean friends on your nation's Olympic medal in table tennis, and consolation to our friends in the Philippines fighting the floods.
Old 2012-08-08, 11:17   Link #22849
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Congratulations to our Singaporean friends on your nation's Olympic medal in table tennis, and consolation to our friends in the Philippines fighting the floods.
Well we have to thank our national sports association for BUYING the winning player.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-08-08, 12:32   Link #22850
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, I think the Fed Reserve, Treasury, and their London counterpart *needed* this "blindside" with their kid gloves handling of banksters ("tap on the wrist, sweep under carpet, no one goes to jail, no company is held publicly accountable"). Go New York...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8750VM20120808

Quote:
The Treasury Department and Federal Reserve were blindsided and angered by New York's banking regulator's decision to launch an explosive attack on Standard Chartered Plc over $250 billion in alleged money laundering transactions tied to Iran, sources familiar with the situation said.
Quote:
Lawsky's stunning move, which included releasing embarrassing communications and details of the bank's alleged defiance of U.S. sanctions against Iran, is rewriting the playbook on how foreign banks settle cases involving the processing of shadowy funds tied to sanctioned countries. In the past, such cases have usually been settled through negotiation - with public shaming kept to a minimum.
In his order, Lawsky said Standard Chartered's dealings exposed the U.S. banking system to terrorists, drug traffickers and corrupt states.
But the upset expressed by some federal officials, who were given virtually no notice of the New York move, may provide ammunition for Standard Chartered to portray the allegations as coming from a relatively new and over-zealous regulator.
But, given the content of the order - which described Standard Chartered as a "rogue institution" that "schemed" with the Iranian government and hid from law enforcement officials some 60,000 secret transactions over nearly 10 years - the bank may need to come up with a strong defense.
Old 2012-08-09, 02:00   Link #22851
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The trial of Gu Kailai might set records for its swiftness based on this story in this morning's Times. Not only does it appear preordained that Ms. Gu will be convicted of murder, but the Chinese government isn't even working very hard to make the trial look fair.

Quote:
Gu, herself a career lawyer, is set to be defended by a state-appointed lawyer with meager experience in criminal cases, leaving little doubt she will be convicted.
Both her lawyers were appointed by the state. Gu's 90-year-old mother pleaded with the government to let their family's lawyer defend her daughter, but these pleas were quickly dismissed. According to a family spokesman, the mother was told to "stop pestering" the authorities over the matter.

I've seen my share of rigged show trials during my life, but usually regimes try to coat their efforts to imprison or kill their enemies with at least a veneer of fairness. Given the visibility of this case outside China, I'm a bit surprised the PRC isn't making a better effort to stage this charade of a trial for Ms. Gu. On the other hand, it might prove a useful object lesson for other well-connected politicos to watch their steps and hew the Party line.
Old 2012-08-09, 06:54   Link #22852
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. starts its first Agent Orange cleanup in Vietnam
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87803K20120809
Old 2012-08-09, 07:18   Link #22853
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
U.S. starts its first Agent Orange cleanup in Vietnam
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87803K20120809
Can someone remind me how long has it been since the Vietnam war?

Old 2012-08-09, 11:40   Link #22854
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can someone remind me how long has it been since the Vietnam war?
Better late then never...
Old 2012-08-09, 13:27   Link #22855
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is harder to do cleanup in hostile territory.
Old 2012-08-09, 13:44   Link #22856
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is harder to do cleanup in hostile territory.
Some would rather add more if it's hostile territory.
Old 2012-08-09, 14:16   Link #22857
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Besides if you read the article, they are not really cleaning up the areas that they bombed with that stuff.
They are just cleaning one of their ex bases, where they stored it, before dropping it elsewhere. Apparently a lot of it was sprayed over their own base too in the process.
Or maybe it's just about some old stockpile that was left there.
Old 2012-08-09, 15:49   Link #22858
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Besides if you read the article, they are not really cleaning up the areas that they bombed with that stuff.
They are just cleaning one of their ex bases, where they stored it, before dropping it elsewhere. Apparently a lot of it was sprayed over their own base too in the process.
Or maybe it's just about some old stockpile that was left there.
I assume they're starting with the cheapest and easiest areas to clean first. It's likely the highest concentration of the stuff is there, since it was stored there. Other places will be harder to get at.
Old 2012-08-09, 16:51   Link #22859
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I forgot what makes agent orange so bad, I just know it is horrible.
Old 2012-08-09, 18:41   Link #22860
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's a defoliant, which means it effectively kills pretty much any plant life it comes in contact with. It's also highly toxic and causes a whole host of bad things in animal life, including humans.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international