AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-28, 19:43   Link #24861
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In my high school days, we had a MocK UN club. We ran as the PLO one year in the mid-1990s. We eventually settled the matter (somewhat) by having "Palestine" as the West Bank with access to Jeruselem, but with a "neutral zone" of I guess two miles in from the 1967 cease fire lines where they Palestinian (and Isreal) military forces would not be allowed for a transition time. If peace lasted, the lands to revert to Palestine. If it did not (and Palestine was to blame) it would go to Israel. There would be strict UN observation of the zone until it reverted to one side or the other within five years.

Gaza would be abandoned by the Palestinians as impossible to maintain due to Israel being between the two masses of land. The locals would be compensated and given two years to relocate to the former West Bank. Those that refused to leave would be assimulated into Israel by law. if they still refused, they would be deported to the West Bank by the Israeli legal system as foreign nationals.

This was about 1993 or so. I don't think any of us had ever heard of the Israeli settlements, if there were any at that time in the West Bank.

We finished early, so the chairs gave us a World War III (or just a general war) scenario to work with based in the aftermath of the Iraqi War and what was happening in Bosnia at that time. The Israeli and Palestinians immediately declared neutrality together, wanting no part in the war since both sides were having to deal with each other politely.
Old 2012-11-28, 23:40   Link #24862
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Gaza would be abandoned by the Palestinians as impossible to maintain due to Israel being between the two masses of land. The locals would be compensated and given two years to relocate to the former West Bank. Those that refused to leave would be assimulated into Israel by law. if they still refused, they would be deported to the West Bank by the Israeli legal system as foreign nationals.
that, right there, would be the deal breaker in any real negotiations.
Old 2012-11-29, 01:46   Link #24863
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which brings you to what do you do what are now foreign nationals that refuse to leave and refuse to become naturalized when the offer is given?
Old 2012-11-29, 05:02   Link #24864
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Anything bigger than an LST (maybe medium destroyers like the Arlegih Burke class which has more armor than conventional destoyers) would simply be "marooned" because they can't carry the heavier torpedoes which are often used to make clean kills out of ships and hole carriers.
That is not entirely correct. There exist heavy weight torpedoes that can unikill everything in size below an air craft carrier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DM2A4

And those are typically stationed on modern diesel electric (AIP) subs.
Old 2012-11-29, 05:40   Link #24865
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
That is not entirely correct. There exist heavy weight torpedoes that can unikill everything in size below an air craft carrier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DM2A4

And those are typically stationed on modern diesel electric (AIP) subs.
You Germans are the only ones who have THAT. Share tech pls or GTFO.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-11-29, 09:54   Link #24866
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. Weighs Bolder Effort to Intervene in Syria’s Conflict
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/wo...-conflict.html
Quote:
But some strategists and administration officials believe that Syrian Air Force pilots might fear how else the missile batteries could be used. If so, they could be intimidated from bombing the northern Syrian border towns where the rebels control considerable territory. A NATO survey team is in Turkey, examining possible sites for the batteries.
Old 2012-11-29, 11:20   Link #24867
willx
Nyaaan~~

I have no idea where to put this, but I thought this was amazingly cool. Just caught it on one of my "defense technology" blogs:

BAE proposes hybrid electric combat vehicle

"BAE Systems just put out a new infographic detailing the benefits of the hybrid electric drive system the company has developed for the Army’s Ground Combat Vehicle competition. If selected, it would be the first hybrid combat vehicle ever fielded. The graphic illustrates how BAE’s hybrid system will ensure its GCV offering is faster, quieter and more fuel-efficient than standard 70-ton combat vehicles."

c/o Defense Tech -- http://defensetech.org/2012/11/20/ba...ombat-vehicle/

PS: Holy crap, I just finished reading the actual article.. this thing is 84-tons! 20 tons heavier than the Abrams! And it's supposed to replace the Bradley!

Last edited by willx; 2012-11-29 at 11:54.
Old 2012-11-29, 14:05   Link #24868
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

All the battery packs weight a little something. The price of this thing will be more interesting though. If it uses Li accumulators its going to be a very expensive IFV.

Should it actually win the competition and be aquired in the numbers that were stated on that site, then I need to buy shares of rare earth mineral mining companies fast.
Old 2012-11-29, 16:13   Link #24869
flying ^

Some non-STEM/Business college sure is gearing up future graduates in a dystopian post-America world...

Students Told to Disavow ‘American-ness, maleness, whiteness, heterosexuality
http://www.thecollegefix.com

Quote:
A political science professor at Butler University asks students to disregard their “American-ness, maleness, whiteness, heterosexuality, middle-class status” when writing and speaking in the classroom – a practice the school’s arts and sciences dean defended as a way to negate students’ inherent prejudices.

The syllabus of the course at Butler, a small Midwestern liberal arts institution in Indianapolis, spells out that students should use “inclusive language” because it’s “a fundamental issue of social justice.”

“Language that is truly inclusive affirms sexuality, racial and ethnic backgrounds, stages of maturity, and degrees of limiting conditions,” the syllabus states, referencing a definition created by the United Church of Christ.
... a disgruntled student with a funny surname speaks out.

Quote:
My name is Ryan Lovelace, and I dropped that politically correct political science class.

Clearly, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Butler University believes its students were raised as racist and misogynist homophobes who have grown to harbor many prejudices, a stance that is both offensive and hostile to any student’s ability to learn.

As a student at an institution predominantly focused on the liberal arts, I expected to hear professors express opinions different from my own. I did not expect to be judged before I ever walked through the door, and did not think I would be forced to agree with my teachers’ worldviews or suffer the consequences.

Being judged and forced to act a certain way is antithetical to how any institution of higher education should conduct itself.

As a journalism major, I will now strive to avoid the liberal arts college as much as possible, not because the college fails to provide its students with any practical knowledge, but because the college seeks to indoctrinate its students with a hostile paradigm that views people like me—an American, white, heterosexual male from a middle-class background—as evil; whitey-righty need not attend.

----------

Now... on to primary and secondary education front...

I'm fully aware there's a growing number of people (foreign & domestic) saying public education in the USA is on the decline.
... and here's the final nail on the coffin.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/ds2MCl2hLsU&autoplay=1

In one state (and more to follow in the near future...) they called it quits in closing the "achievement gap" the old-fashion, traditional way. Say good-bye traditional uniform standards and say hello NEW!!! 21st-century standards like this!
Old 2012-11-29, 16:18   Link #24870
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Syrian internet goes dark in the midst of violent upheaval

Quote:
Syria, a Middle Eastern country in the midst of a violent civil war, has been cut off from the internet. The communications cutoff has been reported by the Associated Press, as well as worldwide internet monitoring service Renesys, which says that the outage began today at 10:26AM UTC. According to that report, 92 percent of all "routed networks" are offline.

Internet service in Syria is largely served by the state-owned telecom SyriaTel, and during the Arab Spring in June 2011, internet service was cut by the government. It's not yet certain what the cause of the current shutdown is, but reports say that activists are pegging it on authorities. In addition to the internet, an activist named Abu Qais al-Shami tells the Associated Press that land and mobile phone service was not working in the nation's capital, Damascus.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3...ernet-blackout

Old 2012-11-29, 17:20   Link #24871
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Maddow Explains Motive Behind McCain Attacks On Susan Rice
Old 2012-11-29, 17:25   Link #24872
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Maddow Explains Motive Behind McCain Attacks On Susan Rice
Yeah ... its just "insane" on the surface, they want to tip the Senate. But, nonetheless, I think its terrible gamesmanship because McCain and his buddies look like utter lunatics. They're willing to look deranged for a tactical move.
Old 2012-11-29, 18:18   Link #24873
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
The UN General Assembly has voted to grant the Palestinians non-member observer state status - a move opposed by Israel and the US.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told the assembly the vote was the "last chance to save the two-state solution" with Israel.

Israel's ambassador to the UN, Ron Prosor, said the bid "doesn't advance peace - it pushes it backwards".

The assembly voted 138-9 in favour, with 41 nations abstaining.
Now Palestine is an internationally recognized state on par with Vatican City. A return to pre-1968 Israeli borders, a unity government between Fatah and Hamas and a corridor between Gaza and the West bank are the very very knotty issues that need to be addressed.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-11-29, 18:43   Link #24874
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sounds like Hamas is already on a path this screw this up for their brothers in the West Bank.
Old 2012-11-29, 18:55   Link #24875
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Old 2012-11-29, 18:57   Link #24876
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Now Palestine is an internationally recognized state on par with Vatican City. A return to pre-1968 Israeli borders, a unity government between Fatah and Hamas and a corridor between Gaza and the West bank are the very very knotty issues that need to be addressed.
Has the world gone chicken or what? As someone wrote earlier and listed 4 key elements to consider, Palestine should be in no position to deserve the right of being a recognized state. IMHO, Hamas can go "F" themselves after how they destroyed everything Arafat built in the late 1990s.
Old 2012-11-29, 19:08   Link #24877
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nice list.

So against were:

Canada
Czech Republic
Israel (duh)
Marshall Islands
Macronesia
Nauru
Palau
Panama
United States of America
Old 2012-11-29, 19:43   Link #24878
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Nice list.

So against were:

Canada
Czech Republic
Israel (duh)
Marshall Islands
Macronesia
Nauru
Palau
Panama
United States of America
Yet you can bet your next paycheck that no different from the republicans that still think their electoral strategy is ok, many people inside israel even after seeing how few allies voted against that UN resolution that their strategy in Palestine is the right course of action
Old 2012-11-29, 19:44   Link #24879
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Has the world gone chicken or what? As someone wrote earlier and listed 4 key elements to consider, Palestine should be in no position to deserve the right of being a recognized state. IMHO, Hamas can go "F" themselves after how they destroyed everything Arafat built in the late 1990s.
... you mean this?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=24857
Old 2012-11-29, 19:47   Link #24880
sa547
*Author

My country's rep voted Yes, partly because the local government is negotiating with the MILF in the formation of the Mindanao Bangsamoro.

Quote:
Nice list.

So against were:

Canada
Czech Republic
Israel (duh)
Marshall Islands
Macronesia
Nauru
Palau
Panama
United States of America
Except for Israel, do they have any explanation for saying "no"?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international