AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 31 43.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 26.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-13, 15:10   Link #21
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the mystery genre, but...after seeing the dance in this episode, can this just be a romantic comedy now? With dying people in the background I guess. Seriously, just look at them!

Spoiler for Warning: not for the weak of heart:

Really, in the Valentine spirit they're the most romantic couple for me, I hope that they can survive until the end intact though it seems unlikely. I mean, I'm willing to sacrifice being ignored by my class if it means I can hang out with someone as cute as Mei - and having a single friend being ignored together is a huge difference than being completely alone as far as pressure and isolation is concerned. This episode show it, instead of the two it's the teacher who cracks under pressure first.

Aside from that, it's pretty much a breather episode, really. No one is dying, Sakakibara and Mei is having fun hanging out and getting to know each other, and we got some info dumps to make things clearer as well. One thing for me though - while most other people are getting creeped out by the dolls, it's the Mynah Bird for me. For some reason, I got some really ominous feeling from it.
Old 2012-02-13, 15:11   Link #22
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The anime is really trying really hard to tell us that Kouichi is dead,notably with that "who is dead?" shot right after the father hanged up.I'm guessing they're just having fun misleading us
I thought so too at first (and that was probably the intent, to make us suspect the possibility), but later recalled what the librarian guy was saying - the effects of this phenomenon don't extend much beyond Yomiyama. Simply leaving the city puts one outside the potential influence zone. Considering his old man is in India, he wouldn't perceive Koichi as alive if he was actually dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the mystery genre, but...after seeing the dance in this episode, can this just be a romantic comedy now? With dying people in the background I guess. Seriously, just look at them!
You did catch the fact of this being only a delusion of Koichi, right ? (Much to my dismay ... it would be completely hilarious if they actually pulled something like that off. The amusing part is, they could if they wanted to. Ah, the possibilities of what you could do while being universally ignored...)
Old 2012-02-13, 15:14   Link #23
konart

Quote:

Spoiler for Warning: not for the weak of heart:

Really, in the Valentine spirit they're the most romantic couple for me, I hope that they can survive until the end intact though it seems unlikely. I mean, I'm willing to sacrifice being ignored by my class if it means I can hang out with someone as cute as Mei - and having a single friend being ignored together is a huge difference than being completely alone as far as pressure and isolation is concerned. This episode show it, instead of the two it's the teacher who cracks under pressure first.

Aside from that, it's pretty much a breather episode, really. No one is dying, Sakakibara and Mei is having fun hanging out and getting to know each other, and we got some info dumps to make things clearer as well. One thing for me though - while most other people are getting creeped out by the dolls, it's the Mynah Bird for me. For some reason, I got some really ominous feeling from it.
Well, it is romantic show for me almost from the 1st episode. I hardly can view something so simple and lighthearted as a mystery
Old 2012-02-13, 15:30   Link #24
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
You did catch the fact of this being only a delusion of Koichi, right ? (Much to my dismay ... it would be completely hilarious if they actually pulled something like that off. The amusing part is, they could if they wanted to. Ah, the possibilities of what you could do while being universally ignored...)
Yeah, of course I do, and with the teacher in the last part it seems fun times are over already, I may not get this treat anymore in the future. But like you said, it does make for an interesting concept. I also agree with the last part, they can do much more than simply dancing, those two are like an exhibitionists wet dream...
Old 2012-02-13, 15:56   Link #25
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Like pretty much everyone else, I loved the dream sequence. Highlight of the episode. When I saw it I was thinking, "why don't Sakakibara and Mei just troll the class like this?" But then when they talked to Chibiki-sensei the seriousness of the responsibility they have to the rest the class came back. However, Sakakibara's classmates aren't doing as good a job of ignoring him yet. They definitely noticed when he was having his Mei fantasy, with that goofy grin on his face.

Interesting that Mei thought of refusing to be the the one that doesn't exist at first. I still wonder how she was chosen -- drawing lots? Or something else? And twin-tails' method of identifying the dead person is feeling whether their hands are cold? Uhm, okay, god forbid if you have clammy hands, then twin-tails will brand you the dead one.

So Sakakibara was in town a year and a half ago, but he doesn't remember? Wonder what that's about. Also interesting that the success rate of the countermeasures is only 50%. So they're really floundering around without truly understanding the mechanics of the calamity. I wonder what happened in 1983 though (Reiko's year) since it sounds like the calamity stopped? Was that the year the class trip was changed?
Old 2012-02-13, 15:56   Link #26
LKK

Quote:
I thought so too at first (and that was probably the intent, to make us suspect the possibility), but later recalled what the librarian guy was saying - the effects of this phenomenon don't extend much beyond Yomiyama. Simply leaving the city puts one outside the potential influence zone. Considering his old man is in India, he wouldn't perceive Koichi as alive if he was actually dead.
That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good argument for the case that Kouichi is not the dead person.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-13, 16:03   Link #27
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Reiko seems to be having serious memory troubles.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-13, 16:16   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyable episode, especially for the romantic companionship: walking at night, sitting at home, standing on the school roof, dancing in class (in his mind...and maybe hers?). Alone together. Really, some of the most romantic interactions I've seen in recent anime. Lovely stuff.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-02-13, 16:18   Link #29
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecrow View Post
Reiko seems to be having serious memory troubles.
Spoiler:
Or she's the "another"?

That bird keeps yelling "why?Rei?Why?" she could have dies 15 years ago,even if people's memory have been rewritten the bird still repeats what the parents said at the time.

Though the one thing against it is that she would somehow be back in a body that's 15 years older so I not sure if that works.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:04   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's wonderful to see Mei and Kouichi growing closer day by day. At least one good thing came out of this whole business. Kouichi's little daydream was sooo good. I wish it had been real, but it would have been very out of character for Mei, especially since she seems to be taking her role seriously.

They didn't explained how she was chosen to be the non-existent person, but it appears nobody forced her to accept. I guess it was decided by lottery.

So, as we had hypothesized, the original Misaki was male and "Misaki" was his first name. No connection to Mei whatsoever. It was all just one big coincidence that served only to confuse us and Kouichi. The class trip turned out to be a red herring too.

The librarian explanation could have cleared a lot of stuff up, but it only confused me more: he said that when the year ends, the records go back to normal and the memories of the dead person are completely erased... so, how can he know that the ghost in 1996 was Mami Asakura when no traces of her existence in 1996 is left in the records nor in anybody's memories?

Quote:
Kouichi's memories are the ones that have been altered then. I doubt his father would make such a huge mistake, and it's very suspicious that the phone started breaking up when Kouichi asked him for confirmation. The phenomenon at work? I think so. If it can manipulate memories and alter records, I reckon it can hijack a phone conversion as well.

Assuming that is the case, that means somebody close to Kouichi died more than a year and a half ago. Now, who could that be? The most obvious candidate is Reiko. If she died fifteen years ago around the same time as her sister, Kouichi never knew her. I'm not sure making him believe he lived in Tokyo his whole life is the most efficient way to edit Reiko into his life though...

Quote:
Or she's the "another"?

That bird keeps yelling "why?Rei?Why?" she could have dies 15 years ago,even if people's memory have been rewritten the bird still repeats what the parents said at the time.

Though the one thing against it is that she would somehow be back in a body that's 15 years older so I not sure if that works.
Another clue in this episode was what the Grandfather was saying when the family was discussing Ritsuko's death: "my poor Ritsuko, my poor Reiko..."

The biggest problem with this theory is that , well, Reiko isn't in Class 3 right now. I assume it could work if she were a teacher though, but as far as we know, she isn't.

The other most suspicious person at the moment is Ms. Mikami. We were told homeroom teachers and assistant homeroom teachers can fall victim to the curse. She was the homeroom teacher two years ago, a year we know the curse was active. She could have died back then, and it would explain why she was assigned to that class again.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:06   Link #31
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Seriously, just look at them!

Credits to whoever creates the gif I stole this from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Like pretty much everyone else, I loved the dream sequence. Highlight of the episode. When I saw it I was thinking, "why don't Sakakibara and Mei just troll the class like this?"
That was my first thought too... Heck, I'm sure it was an intentional joke on the staff's part.

==========
Quote:
Really, in the Valentine spirit they're the most romantic couple for me, I hope that they can survive until the end intact though it seems unlikely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Enjoyable episode, especially for the romantic companionship: walking at night, sitting at home, standing on the school roof, dancing in class (in his mind...and maybe hers?). Alone together. Really, some of the most romantic interactions I've seen in recent anime. Lovely stuff.
Dancing on the edge of a knife, eh? Pretty saucy way to celebrate Valentine's Day. I approve... *splatter* *splatter*

Well, lots more information revealed, crucially the gender of the original Misaki and the circumstances of his death. The revelations killed some of my suspicions while triggering yet more questions. I agree with Chibiki-san: I give up.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:07   Link #32
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
And on goes the happy timetabeling based on the new info we've got so far.

Spoiler for timetable based on info up to episode 6:

So by now we have a pretty big net of different events. The job now is to connect them and try to make a little more sense of them.
The "making one student inexistent" thing doesn't seem to be that reliable after all if Chibiki says it's a 50/50 chance of success or failure. It pretty much implies that there might as well be something different stopping or continuing the events altogether.

Last edited by haguruma; 2012-02-13 at 17:40.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:26   Link #33
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I doubt his father would make such a huge mistake
I'll get to other stuff later but this first.
While I can understand why you'd think that I think what Skyfall was getting at is that his dad is outside of town so normaly his memories are unaffected.

Therefore why would he wake up one day and say "hey,why don't I call up my dead son today?"
Old 2012-02-13, 18:12   Link #34
VDZ

Am I the only one who gets the feeling Mei just triggered a bunch of death flags by being all happy and getting closer to the protagonist despite the dire circumstances, especially the scene where they made a lot of promises for 'some day'? (Promises to do something 'some day' in anime always become impossible due to circumstances; in horror, death is the most likely circumstance for ruining that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I wonder what happened in 1983 though (Reiko's year) since it sounds like the calamity stopped? Was that the year the class trip was changed?
A bit of a wild guess...but I don't believe Ritsuko can't remember because of the curse. Rather, it's quite possible that she can't remember because she doesn't want to remember. The bird has been screaming 'Why, Rei-chan? Why?' since episode 1, so I'm suspecting she might've killed somebody or performed a similar unforgivable action. If Rei-chan found out who the dead person was and murdered him/her, then that would've stopped the calamity, given Reiko a traumatic experience she does not want to remember and caused the bird the repeat a creepy sentence over and over.

If there is any truth in this speculation, it gets worse; the bird says 'Rei-chan', which would imply that the victim was pretty close to Reiko, which would further explain the phrase (sudden murder of best friends tends to be met with surprise) and Reiko's inability/unwillingness to recall the event.
Old 2012-02-13, 18:18   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I'll get to other stuff later but this first.
While I can understand why you'd think that I think what Skyfall was getting at is that his dad is outside of town so normaly his memories are unaffected.

Therefore why would he wake up one day and say "hey,why don't I call up my dead son today?"
I got that. My point is that this scene might also be telling us something else. It confirms that Kouichi is alive and that his current memories are wrong.
Old 2012-02-13, 19:34   Link #36
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The dance scene was great! I was disappointed when it turned out to be a dream

Lots of info in this epi, Librarian seems to know a lot.

I did catch the "My poor Reiko" at the time, that is interesting.

Also did the person who died in 96 have the same surname as Ms Countermeasures? Keeping track of names is kinda hard for me.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-02-13, 19:34   Link #37
Kirarakim

Darn that dance scene was so cute even though it was just in Kouichi's head. But I am actually going to say the sweetest moment of the episode was when Mei gave him a little smile during class. That just melted my heart.

Anyways my feelings on this series is I love the relationship that is developing between Kouichi & Mei and I love the mystery aspect of the series...the horror is a bit too over the top though and not really my thing. But I am glad the series is definitely more than final destination which was my initial fear.

Now just like there were so many hints that Mei was a ghost there are a lot of hints that Kouichi is the dead one...but I just don't believe it, too obvious. But it does seem Kouichi was in the town before and he & everyone else just forgets (the other class members said he was familiar when they visited him in the hospital). My guess is Kouichi was in the town when the current "dead classmate" actually died. Actually maybe Kouichi was integral in that student's death in some way (not saying he killed the student but maybe the student died instead of Kouichi, something along those lines).
Old 2012-02-13, 20:08   Link #38
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
I got that. My point is that this scene might also be telling us something else. It confirms that Kouichi is alive and that his current memories are wrong.
lol for some reason in my mind I thought both wouldn't be possible at the same time but reading that again now I get it.

And indeed the father seems to say that Kouichi has lived there until 18 months ago (about december 1996-january 1997)

So about this:

Quote:
he said that when the year ends, the records go back to normal and the memories of the dead person are completely erased... so, how can he know that the ghost in 1996 was Mami Asakura when no traces of her existence in 1996 is left in the records nor in anybody's memories?
I'm not sure
I think what he meant by "going back to normal" is that her name reappeared on the 1993 roster and also stayed on the 1996 roster so the name would be on two rosters.

But there's something else that intrigues me:he says deaths started in the second term when a student asked to be taken off the ignore list,then says the ghost was there from april until june.
According to wiki the second term of a japanese school starts in september.
So wait a minute,there were 7 deaths but the ghost wasn't around.WTF?

So either:
1) I'm missing something.
2) the anime is starting to get inconsistent
3)This guy is full of shit which makes him very suspicious.

Or maybe a bit of the 3
Old 2012-02-13, 20:15   Link #39
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I'm really glad we got the troll scene, even if it was a fake-out. That was pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
A bit of a wild guess...but I don't believe Ritsuko can't remember because of the curse. Rather, it's quite possible that she can't remember because she doesn't want to remember. The bird has been screaming 'Why, Rei-chan? Why?' since episode 1, so I'm suspecting she might've killed somebody or performed a similar unforgivable action. If Rei-chan found out who the dead person was and murdered him/her, then that would've stopped the calamity, given Reiko a traumatic experience she does not want to remember and caused the bird the repeat a creepy sentence over and over.
With all the focus this week on "is there any way to stop it", this is a tantalizing theory. I think it was Reiko that stopped the curse, but she either can't, or doesn't want to remember how she did it. The possibility that pulling a proton pack on the "dead" person is an option to end this phenomenon (note, not "curse"; no malice is involved, and makes the dead person technically an innocent) could also lead to a difficult choice for one or both members of the non-existent club. I wonder if it's worth noting that Reiko says she can't remember if it was the calamity that killed Ritsuko, or if it was... something else.

At the end of the episode, I thought the teacher was just going to off himself, but the fact that they're leaving it as a cliffhanger makes me wonder if he's got someone else in mind.

Quote:
It confirms that Kouichi is alive and that his current memories are wrong.
Based on the information we have from the librarian, I think that's the most likely scenario.
Old 2012-02-13, 20:32   Link #40
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Also did the person who died in 96 have the same surname as Ms Countermeasures? Keeping track of names is kinda hard for me.
Nope. It's Asakura Mami and Akazawa Izumi, they may have a similar ring when you don't have them side by side but they are two completely differet names, especially when written.

Quote:
I'm not sure
I think what he meant by "going back to normal" is that her name reappeared on the 1993 roster and also stayed on the 1996 roster so the name would be on two rosters.
Nope, he meant what he said. When the year of the current 3-3 ends the name vanishes from the class roster and returns to that of the year the person originally died in. How it was possible for him to remember and put her name down on paper is something we have to consider for ourselves for now. He says that everything down to the smallest traces of the very existence of the dead one seems to be erased from existence...yet he was able to make her name stay there.
Maybe he is fooling himself and others and there's nothing to remember at all. Yes, there appear to be very unsettling cases of death surrounding the 3-3, but as of yet the existence of a revived victim of the "curse" has to be proven, especially when all traces seem to vanish.

Quote:
But there's something else that intrigues me:he says deaths started in the second term when a student asked to be taken off the ignore list,then says the ghost was there from april until june.
According to wiki the second term of a japanese school starts in september.
So wait a minute,there were 7 deaths but the ghost wasn't around.WTF?
Because they ignored that student in the first term everything seemed to proceed well, there were no incidents, accidents or violent deaths from April to June (1st term). So basically the dead one just co-existed with them in class. But when he forced them to admit to his existence at the start of the 2nd term (september) he made the curse kick in...only later than expected.

Remember how Reiko said that in 1983 something happened during the summer break? That's July and August.
Closed Thread