AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-16, 16:26   Link #1
daft27
Aim High, Fall Short

Send a message via AIM to daft27
Major

Preview for Major ep1 originally published at:
http://daft27.fansub.tv/published.php/134/Major/

Keywords: Shounen, Drama, Sports, Baseball, School Kids, Aspiring Kid w/ Dreams, Single Parent, some romance?

ep 1 Synposis:
Alright, the story starts with three main characters. Gorou Gibson, his dad, and his teacher. I think Gorou's dad is a pitcher in a major leagues and Gorou really aspires to be like his dad. He doesn't have a mom since she died due to some random disease (random, because i don't think they really explain it). The teacher for some reason really looks like his mom (which you see in the beginning). Anyways, on his way home, Gorou gets bullied by some older kids and is pretty much saved by his teacher. She brings him home, makes some curry for dinner and they watch a vidoe-taped recording of one of his dad's games. There's a little bonding part where the teacher comforts Gorou when he lets loose his feelings and starts to cry. After dinner, she pretty much leaves Gorou to himself and he goes off to sleep. In the middle of the night, his dad comes back pretty much drunk.

The next morning, you learn that Gorou's dad had injured his throwing arm and will have to be in rehabitation for about a year. After five years, it looks like the dad's career as a pitcher is over and he doesn't really know what to do. The dad talks to someone who looks like his manager, and he suggests that he become a baseball coach or something like that since he won't be able to pitch for a while. He also meets his friend on his way home, and his friend suggests to him that he could become a batter.

Gorou pretty much goes missing from the school and the teacher becomes really worried. She says how it's her and stuff like that, when Gorou's dad comes by to pick him up. They go back to Gorou's place to talk and wait for him there (and there you have the start of a probable romance).

This episode ends with the dad clutching a baseball bat like a madman. (see screencaps)

Animation:
Good animation by my standards. I wouldn't exactly call it 'modern' but it's close enough to it. The character designs look a few years old. Nothing too special here. Moving on..

Music & Seiyuus:
Comments on the opening theme and the ending theme. The opening theme is really similar to the op for Kyou Kara Maou (rock.. uses similar tempo, instruments, etc). I suppose the ending theme is fairly good, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement. Forgive me if this sounds too harsh, but it seems a little lame. The background music works well for a drama like this but it's not something that would make me go out and buy the soundtrack.

Recommendation:
I'm looking forward to the fansub release of this. No group has announced the fansub for this yet, but I'm sure this will be picked up. The story moves at a slow pace and it's not episodic. My only fear is that it might become boring, but considering this is only episode one and most of the characters haven't been introduced yet, it's not something that bothers me too much. If you're interested in baseball or dramas, then this series would work well for you.

Screencaps:

Last edited by daft27; 2004-11-17 at 04:57.
daft27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 16:51   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I'm also hoping for this series to get fansubbed. ^^

I love baseball series and from what I've read of the manga this one is pretty good.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 03:05   Link #3
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I'm also hoping for this series to get fansubbed. ^^
Ditto. I've been starving for some good baseball anime since Princess 9. This looks very interesting. The artwork is very cute as well.
Mr. Shabaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 04:54   Link #4
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm not really into baseball and in fact I don't even totally understand it. (Okay... Now I feel stupid for saying that!) But for some reason, I find the premise of this anime very appealing. I would like to see this fansubbed as well.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 20:54   Link #5
Kemel

Info about "Major"?

I'm curious if there is any fansub groups working on the new baseball anime airing on NHK titled "Major"?

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/major/

If not if anyone knew of any location to even download a raw for this series it would be greatly appreciated as I'm very excited about this series.
Kemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 01:10   Link #6
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemel
I'm curious if there is any fansub groups working on the new baseball anime airing on NHK titled "Major"?

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/major/

If not if anyone knew of any location to even download a raw for this series it would be greatly appreciated as I'm very excited about this series.
Remeber asking about raws are not allowed.

Do not ask for other illegal materials either

Obviously discussions about getting any other illegal materials, such as Ripped Music CDs (such as Anime OSTs), Untranslated Anime (raws), ROMs, ISOs, Warez etc. are not allowed either. Threads which break this rule will be either closed or simply deleted.

Thread moved to General anime forum since this show has not yet been fansubbed.
Old 2005-12-18, 15:48   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Major

Looks like all our Major posts are lost to the ether. What's everyone think of S2 so far? I have issues with the character designs - especially Goro and Sawamura - but ocerall the writing appears to have survived intact.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 16:37   Link #8
hooliganj
Team Player

Good stuff so far. I'm getting used to Sawamura's new look. Yamane looks like a dork when he wears a baseball hat.

I should mention that Saizen is still working on the second season of Major, as was previously announced. Look forward to it, sports fans!
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 22:55   Link #9
kobun

ha iv been waiting for the forums to return to talk about the return of Major. I wonder why they number the episode werids int eh subs.. with ep 27.. i thought the new season is called Major 2nd Seasons ep1, not 27
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 11:30   Link #10
gummi
Chi~~

Oh no, two groups working on it.

I haven't had a chance to watch episode 27 yet though.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 13:20   Link #11
Elvanvitar

It looks good so far.

Spoiler:
Elvanvitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 16:51   Link #12
jewbagel
-!-

Send a message via AIM to jewbagel
Just wondering, what irks you about the new character designs? Besides Sawamura looking like a retard, since that bothered me at first too

S2 so far has been very good, they have changed a couple things that I remember were in the manga... but overall very solid.
jewbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 18:09   Link #13
infinius

hmm.. looks like all the prev discussions are gone.

anyway, erm. anyone saw the eps 27? oh man, the punch on goro was pretty unexpected to me though.. haha..

and no wonder he was seen pitching with his left hand in the OP. blew his right arm huh.
infinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 18:45   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbagel
Just wondering, what irks you about the new character designs? Besides Sawamura looking like a retard, since that bothered me at first too

S2 so far has been very good, they have changed a couple things that I remember were in the manga... but overall very solid.
Well, Sawamura does look pretty bizarre, for starters. The new kid- the leader of the bully gang - has some serious hair issues. But the main problem is Goro - he looks about 22 and, to be honest, I don't think he looks remotely like the same person - his facial features are radically different. I just find it a little bizarre that Goro and Komori are supposed to be the same age, and Goro looks like his father...
Old 2005-12-19, 19:27   Link #15
Chiaki

Gorou looks exactly the same way that he does in the manga, so blame the mangaka.
It's quite obvious that his facial features are diffrent, do you looks the same now that you looked when you was 8-9?
Komori is short, both for his age and the fact that he's Japanese, he's supposed to be that way.

The only characters that looks diffrent in the anime format is Shimizu and Toshi, and they both changed for the better.
Chiaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 19:55   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not just a matter of being older - he simply doesn't look like an older version of himself to me, but a different person altogether. I understand the the designs are taken directly from Mitsuda Takuya's work (though I don't read kana well enough to follow the manga) and that's fine. I'm just saying that, for me, the character designs aren't all that appealing. I still enjoy the writing, and the other aspects of the anime seem to be holding strong.
Old 2005-12-19, 20:39   Link #17
jewbagel
-!-

Send a message via AIM to jewbagel
I agree he does look pretty old for his age. He looks like the same guy to me, just minus all that baby fat he had... his eyes are the same at least, that's what's most important for me I guess. That's how I recognized Sawamura too. It definitely is a huge change from the first season, although it's more noticeable in the anime than manga for some reason.

Spoiler for picture of goro:

Funny thing about that though, this is all coming from a manga that can't decide whether to use brown or blue eyes for Goro, and brown, blue or green for Toshi. I swear it's different every time a new tank or colour chapter comes out!
jewbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 21:28   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbagel
I agree he does look pretty old for his age. He looks like the same guy to me, just minus all that baby fat he had... his eyes are the same at least, that's what's most important for me I guess. That's how I recognized Sawamura too. It definitely is a huge change from the first season, although it's more noticeable in the anime than manga for some reason.

Spoiler for picture of goro:

Funny thing about that though, this is all coming from a manga that can't decide whether to use brown or blue eyes for Goro, and brown, blue or green for Toshi. I swear it's different every time a new tank or colour chapter comes out!
You're right - I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it is more stark in the anime than the manga, though I couldn't tell you just why. Maybe it's the voice...
Old 2005-12-20, 04:09   Link #19
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
But the main problem is Goro - he looks about 22 and, to be honest.
Yup, that's my only gripe with the second season of Major. He look's too damn old to be in Middle school. They are in middle school right?

Shimizu has turned into such a cutey.
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 09:45   Link #20
Elvanvitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Yup, that's my only gripe with the second season of Major. He look's too damn old to be in Middle school. They are in middle school right?

Shimizu has turned into such a cutey.
Their ages are supposed to be between 13-14 I believe. Since Goro could enter little league when he was nine and at the first of episode 27 it said 4 years later. So between 13-14 is a good guess. And the characters look like they are high school age to me.
Elvanvitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports