Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-04-27, 01:54   Link #21
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Even so, I fear what localisation will do to the game though. The skits for this game alone has argubly more voice than the entire Legendia + skits. The amount of skits in Abyss is ridiculous.
I suspect they'll simply cut the voice acting for skits. Which is a shame as some them are hilarious!

Quote:
I hope the new contents they're talking about is 2nd hi-ougis for Guy, Anise and Asch, hi-ougi cut-ins for Nebilim, Reid, etc, Luke's ending-title clothes....
Well Guy, Natalia and Asch all have 2nd hi-ougis fully VA'd but they weren't finished I believe. There's definitely pictures of the full body cut in for Guy. (Link : Pic from Holystar's site, also has a silly 900,000 Mystic Cage against the Tales cameo battle ) Doesn't Nebilim already have a cut-in for Big Bang though?

The real worry is when they release it: If it's even remotely close to FFXII's release date, the game won't do that well.
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 02:00   Link #22
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
Though Tales of the Abyss has been out since late last year in Japan, Namco Bandai promises exclusive content for the US release in the fall of this year. We don't know what that content will be yet, but we look forward to spending more time with this game and unveiling more of its secrets as we learn them.
We all have to thanks the heavens for this, seeing how ToL didn't sell well. ^^
ToL, IMO, had bearable VA. Hope they improve on it though, or just do what NIS does and include a JP track.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 19:17   Link #23
Protto

Is this game linked with any of the other Tales games? Sort of like how phantasia is related to symphonia?
Protto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 19:42   Link #24
SlugZilla
woofles

I knew they were gonna bring this over they had to, this game is the best rpg I've played in a long time. Well hopefully they fix the loading times. I know they are gonna fudge up the voices, it will never be the same. The battles are the best aspect of this game anyways.
Protto: Nope, except for maybe some weapons...
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 08:26   Link #25
FlamingFist

Did you guys find Tales of Legendia to easy at times?
FlamingFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 08:42   Link #26
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

AFAIK, there's also alot of cameo appearances from older games. I highly suspect that it would be wishful thinking for better loading times, since they would have to do alot of code modification. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to wish, so I wish too. Oh and I wish, wish, wish they include optional JP voice tracks for this one, kind of like NIS games.

FlamingFist: o.O anyway. It was easy; not at times but as a whole.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 09:15   Link #27
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

I suspect that the voice acting is partly the reason for the loading times, as it must take up alot of data on the disc (500+ skits doesn't help either). If it is, then I don't think they'll include it as well as the english VA, as that'll make matters worse. I'm already dreading to hear what Anise will sound like, usually her type of character is played by a screeching women and definitely doesn't suit it. Jade too, as others have pointed out.

If they do improve the loading times, I'd expect the VA for skits to disappear to compensate for it.

Hopefully they'll add more costumes, especially along the lines of Tear's catgirl one.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:47   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And here it is. It also appears they left Karma in, albeit with the lyrics removed. I don't know why they never did this with other songs like Starry Heavens from Symphonia or Flying Falling Down or whatever from Tales of Eternia. One drawback will be no Takehito Koyasu as Jade Curtiss, but I'm willing to bet they'll give his part to Cam Clarke.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 06:03   Link #29
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
haha shit I am enjoying this so much

If you haven't bought it yet.. do so now! It's only 39.99
Buy it and support them to bring more Tales series overseas.

About Luke, I don't think he's an ass. Well he is but I don't think he is trying to be one on purpose. It's just the way he's been brought up.

Hitting 2 hours into the game now, time to tread on a little more.

There is a couple of things tho. One problem I see is the world map load times. Encounter a fight out there and finish it up, then you gotta reload the whole map. I'm thinking about putting the game on my HD so the loads wont be that long.
And what happened to the voiced skits that were in Legendia, those were totally great. Wish those were in Abyss as well

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 13:05   Link #30
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL- View Post
There is a couple of things tho. One problem I see is the world map load times. Encounter a fight out there and finish it up, then you gotta reload the whole map. I'm thinking about putting the game on my HD so the loads wont be that long.
Though it may work for the US release, HD loader and so on had problems with the JP release, crashing at particular scenes. For me it was the fight with the liger just before the boss in the Cheagle Forest. Also no music on the world map either.
Old 2006-10-12, 23:12   Link #31
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
And what happened to the voiced skits that were in Legendia, those were totally great. Wish those were in Abyss as well
The amount of skits in Abyss compared to Legendia is ridiculous. Abyss at times have like 1 skit every 10 minutes. It makes sense that it's better to just not voice them, since there's so many.

And anyone's who's turned off by asshat Luke shouldn't be too worried. He'll improve much much more as a character....after 10 hours of gameplay or so (( with a Hi-Ougi to boot )). There are 3 hours in the game where his asshole-ness is multiplied 10 folds though.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 01:32   Link #32
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

yeah there is an assload of skits to tread through indeed but at least have the option to fast forward.

I'm already done reading that line and I still need to wait for it like as if someone is talking -_-

I think i'm about 6:41 into it. The semester is almost over, then I get to splurge muwhahahaha

<3 Anise. She is like a mini Presea execpt she doesnt swing a deadly axe
Tear is pretty nice also

[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net

Last edited by uLTraCarL-; 2006-10-13 at 01:55.
Old 2006-10-14, 19:59   Link #33
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn View Post
Though it may work for the US release, HD loader and so on had problems with the JP release, crashing at particular scenes. For me it was the fight with the liger just before the boss in the Cheagle Forest. Also no music on the world map either.
Well you have to enable MDMA0 to run it properly with hdloader
(JPN version, reckon it's the same for the NA release).
However the loading speed will be approx. the same like loading it direct from the disc.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 13:51   Link #34
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well you have to enable MDMA0 to run it properly with hdloader
(JPN version, reckon it's the same for the NA release).
However the loading speed will be approx. the same like loading it direct from the disc.
Yeah, but I didn't have a clue on how to actually turn that on (or use a modified HDL) so came to the conclusion that with the number of JP games I have, getting a JP PS2 wasn't a bad idea.

Anise is one of my favourite Tales characters. The sheer weirdness of some of the skits she's involved in just makes me laugh and she's a decent all-rounder in battle with a ton of HP. Then there's Fever Time

I may have to pick up the US version to get the full picture and for the new additions to the game. What's the voices like? From what I've heard in videos, it's very mixed. Guy didn't sound too bad but Natalia didn't sound right.
Old 2006-10-15, 14:07   Link #35
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

The voices are pretty good, though I haven't played the Japanese version so I can't compare voices.

But my gawd, the sheer number of skits is insane.

I'm only I think 1/4th through the game, and I've already gone through at least 50+ skits.

Makes sense why unlike in Legendia, they didn't voice them. The cost would have been enormous.
Old 2006-10-15, 20:57   Link #36
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I'm surprised by how good the voice acting is. This is the first game in a while that actually makes me want to play. I'm only ~7 hours in, but the amount of foreshadowing is enormous. It seems like a good amount of work went into the storyline.

The only other "Tales of" I've played is Legendia, which I thoroughly enjoyed despite the fact that everyone else seems to hate it. I even got my username from it. TotA is surprisingly awesome so far. Guy's fear, Anise's personality... All good.

BTW, Tear is hot.
Old 2006-10-16, 01:41   Link #37
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

if anyone wants to see some gameplay or hear the voices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITLDvSHtcM
sadly i'm not that great

Roughly 15 hours into it now, and it just keeps getting better.

Anyone know a rough estimate of how many hours average it takes to clear?

Old 2006-10-16, 02:03   Link #38
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

If the English voice acting for ToA is good, then the JP one is immense, especially those of Jade's. I swear, no one else can do Jade as awesome as Takehito Koyasu can.

Quote:
Anyone know a rough estimate of how many hours average it takes to clear?
60+ hours, IIRC. I'm unable to access my PS2 and ToA JP save file at the moment for verification.

Add another 10~15 hours or so if you're a completist. The sidequest/extras are amazing, I tell you.

<3 Regret.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 03:17   Link #39
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn View Post
I may have to pick up the US version to get the full picture and for the new additions to the game. What's the voices like? From what I've heard in videos, it's very mixed. Guy didn't sound too bad but Natalia didn't sound right.
I was thinking the same ^^,
but in the end i preordered tales of tempest (NDS),
because i didn't see i point getting a games twice,
unless there a big changes to it.

BTW, Destiny remake for the PS2 is next in the line (release sometime in Nov.) ^_^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 03:56   Link #40
ninetail1030

The only viocing I found kinda weird was Anise's voice...

All the others are fine though.

My friend took 90+ hours to beat the game and 90% side quest...

BTW.. you can't really compare the Jap voicing with the Eng voicing,

the Jap voice actor are professionals, they do voicing for living while the Eng voice actor do it as part time jobs...

But yea, this is actully one of the game I liked with English voicing.
ninetail1030 is offline   Reply With Quote