4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-12-24, 16:49   Link #161
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Speaking of similarities between Carta and Iok... Does Gjallarhorn put something in its water to inspire such loyalty toward such dismal officers?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 17:00   Link #162
DMurphy

I think people tend to underestimate Carta and Iok, largely because they inhabit a universe also occupied by the likes of Mika, Gali-Gali, Shino, Akihiro, etc.

We see in Iok's debut that he's actually a pretty brilliant sniper, able to make shots that the Dawn Horizon Corps guy outright calls impossible -- and that idea shows up again when he snipes Hashmal from a fair distance. When Mika says that he's not going to dodge because it'd make it easier for him to be hit, that's not him deriding Iok's skills: Speeding straight ahead too fast for the shots to land really is the best way of avoiding those shots.

Similarly, Carta clearly commands the confidence of her men. She's not like Iok, whose men are constantly urging her not to enter battle, and she actually seems to be held in at least somewhat high esteem by Gali, who is a very good pilot. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that, actually, Carta might be a pretty good pilot.

What Iok and Carta do have in common is that they're both abysmal soldiers.

Carta has almost no battlefield experience and truly, fundamentally doesn't understand how a battle works -- she treats everything like it's an honourable duel, when that's just not what war is.

Iok, meanwhile, seemingly has more battlefield experience but is unfortunately a complete idiot. That's -- that's it, that's his problem, he's skilled but blisteringly stupid. He seems to have zero idea of how to accurately gauge the threats in front of him, and he's an unremitting glory hound.

Also, I mean, even if they are good pilots compared to most people in-universe, that doesn't make them good compared to most of the named characters in-series, most of whom are the best of the best.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 17:21   Link #163
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Speaking of similarities between Carta and Iok... Does Gjallarhorn put something in its water to inspire such loyalty toward such dismal officers?
Gjhallahorn runs on Noble system of rank. Carta and Iok might lack in competence but they seem nice enough people.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 00:42   Link #164
dragon1412

yeah pretty much this, Iok was nice enough to try avenging for his man, well his idiocy blinded this side though
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 01:07   Link #165
tdx

If Iok's skilled, how do you explain his awful performance in the Vidar debut episode where they fought some rebels from some colonies?
tdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 13:31   Link #166
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
If Iok's skilled, how do you explain his awful performance in the Vidar debut episode where they fought some rebels from some colonies?
Honestly, I don't, because I don't have a good explanation for that. It is totally at odds with what we saw and were told about him in the battle against the Dawn Horizon Corps, and what we see of him when he snipes Hashmal from a pretty significant distance, and the only thing I can think of is that the writer for that episode forgot that Iok's meant to be a good sniper, just a terrible soldier.

Old 2016-12-25, 20:09   Link #167
mweloo

I don't remember the battle with the Dawn Horizon Corps very well, but I'm pretty sure Iok was engaging in close/mid-range combat when fighting the colonies tdx was talking about. If he was trained as a sniper, his forte should be long-range combat.

And, given what we've seen of him so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the quality of Iok's sniping depended heavily on his emotional state. If he can keep his composure, he'll do a good job. Get him sufficiently riled up and he'll inevitably mess up.
mweloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 21:36   Link #168
Skye629

Honestly I think Ioks perfermance as a sniper is due to the Reginlaze and its weapon loadout more than anything else. It is a next gen unit after all
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 21:39   Link #169
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Honestly I think Ioks perfermance as a sniper is due to the Reginlaze and its weapon loadout more than anything else. It is a next gen unit after all
Nobody in-universe has said anything about the Reginlaze giving people increased accuracy, though. In fact, Iok's the only person we've seen even trying to snipe in it, and it seems like if that was solely down to the Reginlaze and its weapons, at the very least Julietta would have mentioned as much.

Old 2016-12-25, 21:46   Link #170
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Nobody in-universe has said anything about the Reginlaze giving people increased accuracy, though. In fact, Iok's the only person we've seen even trying to snipe in it, and it seems like if that was solely down to the Reginlaze and its weapons, at the very least Julietta would have mentioned as much.
And do we need to mention it? It would be mostly pointless exposition dumps as the characters piloting them are well aware of what they are capable of and have no reason to mention it in an offhand way. Im just using some basic reasoning to think so. Next gen unit = Better sensors, control and performance. Long range railgun type rifle with variable output for sniping. And while the machine is indeed overall a general purpose unit, its not unlikely that Iok have a custom tuned unit, given his position (which is common in any mecha anime)

Maybe well get more info when the P-Bandai Ioks Reginlaze model gets released

Last edited by Skye629; 2016-12-25 at 22:01.
Old 2016-12-25, 22:26   Link #171
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
And do we need to mention it? It would be mostly pointless exposition dumps as the characters piloting them are well aware of what they are capable of and have no reason to mention it in an offhand way. Im just using some basic reasoning to think so. Next gen unit = Better sensors, control and performance. Long range railgun type rifle with variable output for sniping. And while the machine is indeed overall a general purpose unit, its not unlikely that Iok have a custom tuned unit, given his position (which is common in any mecha anime)

Maybe well get more info when the P-Bandai Ioks Reginlaze model gets released
-- No, yeah, we do need to mention it.

Like, when you have a character with a lot of battle experience specifically drawing attention to how one specific character is making impossible sniping shots, the automatic conclusion there is 'that character is an excellent sniper.' If that's not the case, it warrants explaining.

And, with all due respect, it doesn't actually seem like you're using basic reasoning here -- it seems like you started with a conclusion ('Iok is a terrible pilot') and are looking for ways that that can be true. The Reginlaze has been remarked upon by several characters now and has shown up in every arc of the second series in some capacity, and nobody has said anything about it allowing pilots to make impossible shots, nor has anybody even hinted at the idea that Iok's performance in that battle was solely down to his suit. We don't have any indication that Iok has a custom Reginlaze, either, when usually that gets brought up pretty quickly when it's the case. It's not like the show is shy about expositing on the many virtues of its different mechs.

Also, there absolutely would be a reason for characters to have explained it if Iok's improbable accuracy was the result of his suit: That battle was the first time Tekkadan had ever seen a Reginlaze, and they were working closely with Isurugi, someone who's familiar with Reginlazes, at the time. Sure, Iok and Julietta know exactly what the Reginlaze can do, but Tekkadan sure didn't. You'd think Isurugi would have warned them pretty quickly if every Reginlaze can pull off accurate shots over longer distances than they're used to, even in the hands of a bad pilot.

What we've got is a character singling out Iok in his establishing battle as making impossible sniping shots.

Old 2016-12-25, 22:57   Link #172
Tenzen12

IRC Lok landed exactly three hits, one was on Barbatos and probably lucky shot (Mika himself noting that he would be safe as long as he doesn't try avoid it at all.), second and third was against huge ass Mobile armor. I don't see any implication that he is good sniper out of that.
Old 2016-12-26, 00:14   Link #173
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
IRC Lok landed exactly three hits, one was on Barbatos and probably lucky shot (Mika himself noting that he would be safe as long as he doesn't try avoid it at all.), second and third was against huge ass Mobile armor. I don't see any implication that he is good sniper out of that.
Actually, he shoots Sandoval's mech while Sandoval is in fast-paced, close ranged melee with Julietta. It's what prompts characters to remark that that shot is impossible at that range (they say he's 'just lucky') only for him to then immediately shoot two more suits at the same range, hitting the joints of one, seemingly without taking any time to line up those shots. So it's not luck, because it's not as if he's going to be getting lucky three times in a row.

One Dawn Horizon pilot then points out that that is insanely risky, since his allies are there -- but Julietta says nothing to Iok that suggests she's concerned about him hitting her, instead telling him to shoot at Mika, who she already knows is incredibly fast.

That alone tells us in no uncertain terms that Iok is actually a really good sniper.

While Mika does say that he's more likely to get hit if he dodges, all that tells us is that moving as fast as he can in a straight line in his absurdly fast machine is the best way to avoid Iok's shots. Which Iok is making from, again, far enough away that the experienced Dawn Horizon pilots don't think it'd even be possible to hit anything from that range, and which are only barely missing Mika. We also see that Iok isn't actually aiming properly when he shoots at Mika -- he's sacrificing accuracy for speed because he's a drooling idiot, and he's still almost hitting the hands-down fastest suit in the series at that point.

As far as Hashmal goes -- Hashmal is maybe twice the size of a Gundam, and Iok snipes it from far enough away that none of the Tekkadan members who are watching Hashmal notice he's there until he's already shot. And again, Hashmal is moving at the time -- and moving very quickly, as well.

Old 2016-12-26, 01:28   Link #174
Skye629

Quote:
-- No, yeah, we do need to mention it.

Nope, exposition dumps about plot irrevelant machines bogs down the show. Imagine them talking about the ins and outs of every MS that makes an appearance. Explanations are mainly only warranted if they're plot important to a degree (i.e. anything related to the Gundams/Calamity War). In this case the Reginlaze is not important other than the fact that its the antagonists new next gen model. Thats really all that needs to be known. Anything else about it can be picked up from the side, or implied through the show

Info on the side for mechs are primarily found through official sources outside the show itself such as the home sites, gunpla, mechanic info bits found in magazines etc.

Like, when you have a character with a lot of battle experience specifically drawing attention to how one specific character is making impossible sniping shots, the automatic conclusion there is 'that character is an excellent sniper.' If that's not the case, it warrants explaining.

Whether it warrants explaining depends on how important the shot being made is in the show. In this case, the shots were nothing more than interruptions/additions to an ongoing fight. And theres other things we have to consider. Like what is an "impossible shot?" for all we know the Dawn Horizon guys, as experienced as they may be, are simply just not familiar with that level of ranged capabilities. Most of what they fight are helpless targets, or other pirates with similar weaponry. Then here we suddenly have a state of the art MS made by the most premium MS manufacturer in the series showing up with a unit that can make/land shots from farther than they have ever seen before. Even the Gundams of S1 have made really accurate shots simply due to their AV system/pilot combo

And, with all due respect, it doesn't actually seem like you're using basic reasoning here -- it seems like you started with a conclusion ('Iok is a terrible pilot') and are looking for ways that that can be true. The Reginlaze has been remarked upon by several characters now and has shown up in every arc of the second series in some capacity, and nobody has said anything about it allowing pilots to make impossible shots, nor has anybody even hinted at the idea that Iok's performance in that battle was solely down to his suit. We don't have any indication that Iok has a custom Reginlaze, either, when usually that gets brought up pretty quickly when it's the case. It's not like the show is shy about expositing on the many virtues of its different mechs.

Dont put words in my mouth, it tastes sour. I never said he was a terrible pilot. The only people to mention the suit are its respective pilots, and Isurugi remarking that they're finally done. And nope nobody said anything about it granting holy powers to make impossible shots. But as with any machine, especially MP ones in any mecha show, it can be customized and tuned. Ill post about that down below

Also, there absolutely would be a reason for characters to have explained it if Iok's improbable accuracy was the result of his suit: That battle was the first time Tekkadan had ever seen a Reginlaze, and they were working closely with Isurugi, someone who's familiar with Reginlazes, at the time. Sure, Iok and Julietta know exactly what the Reginlaze can do, but Tekkadan sure didn't. You'd think Isurugi would have warned them pretty quickly if every Reginlaze can pull off accurate shots over longer distances than they're used to, even in the hands of a bad pilot.

Just because Isurugi knows about the suit doesnt mean hes fully aware of its capabilities. The Reginlaze is the successor unit to the Graze, so more likely than not al lthe military branches are getting memos saying "Hey, we just finished the next gen MS, you guys will be getting some in X amount of time". And with his position as McGillis right hand man atm, that info would definitely pass through him. And as mentioned he simply wasn't aware that they were ready. Reason being that the Reginlazes the Arianhod fleet have are the first batches that were made to do the final performance tests (info from gunpla sources). Also as stated Ioks one is different form the rest, once again refer below

What we've got is a character singling out Iok in his establishing battle as making impossible sniping shots.
Put the response above in the quote for clarity

Also the mech profile for Ioks Reginlaze officially states its weaponry was chosen for long range shooting while the suit itself was customized to a support type (i.e. long range firing/sniping). Funnily enough recommended by his subordinates (to keep him out of danger and lower their stress levels I suppose). Personally I think that if we were to take him out of the Reginlaze and stick him in a standard Graze (default configuration with default rifle) his sniping performance would definitely take a hit, regardless of his skill level (due to lack of proper long ranged weapon and tuned MS)

I also never said he was a bad pilot, I have seen much worse in this franchise. My assessment of him as a pilot is that overall hes average/mediocre at best in most areas, with above average skills in long range shooting. At the very least the guy have the right tools/setup to be a sniper. Though in a show where ranged weapons of the physical variety is downplayed, his role is definitely more subdued than if he were to be in another Gundam series, that warrants consideration

Last edited by Skye629; 2016-12-26 at 01:45.
Old 2016-12-26, 09:54   Link #175
DMurphy

You're being disingenuous, because a character mentioning key information for the viewer is not the same as 'them talking about the ins and outs of every MS.'

We get no suggestions that the Dawn Horizon Corps, who are more than able to give Tekkadan a run for their money even with Tekkadan fielding two Gundams, are somehow unexperienced with long range combat.

This is the key problem with both that argument and the 'well, maybe his suit just gives him super-accuracy!' argument: They're not actually arguments, they're fanfiction -- I've given you canonical evidence, and what you've given me in return is just speculation.

You can substitute them with anything. Maybe Iok is actually a X-Man with the power of super-sniping, who was sent through an interdimensional portal at birth. Maybe Iok isn't hitting anything at all, but an invisible suit behind him is making shots at the same time he is.

Stop backpedaling. It puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Ah, yes, of course Isurugi wouldn't know what the suit's abilities are. Because that's how military organisations work -- they don't actually tell their senior officers what the new equipment they're going to get does, they just tell them it's on their way and then it's a delightful surprise when they get it. Isurugi would definitely be totally in the dark about key features of hardware he and his troops are eventually going to get. Naturally.

As for 'its specs say it has long-range weapons!' -- no shit, we've been talking about Iok sniping things, of course it has long-range weapons. His suit having long-range weapons and being customised as a long-range unit isn't news, but unless you have a source that says 'long-range Reginlazes enhance their pilots' accuracy' it doesn't mean anything.

"If you took Iok out of a suit with a sniper rifle and stuck him in a suit with a normal rifle, his sniping would take a hit!" Well, that is why sniper rifles exist. Because they're better at sniping than normal rifles. On a similar note, if you took Iok out of a mobile suit and put him in a cardboard box, he'd be far less efficient at fighting in space.

These aren't arguments for anything, they're just truisms. Like, yeah, if snipers aren't using sniper rifles, they tend not to be great snipers. Lyudmila Pavlichenko was famously less adept at hitting her enemies with paper airplanes than a sniper rifle.

Old 2016-12-26, 12:06   Link #176
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Maybe, just maybe, Iok is an incompetent soldier/pilot who is a passable long-range shooter (calling him a sniper makes him sounds elite in skill which I dont think so), and can get some extremely lucky shots in some occasions? I mean, he couldn't hit Mika who was floating in a stright line when facing Sandoval. I mean, we certainly can take that as a sign of not-that-skilled-of-a-MS-pilot/sniper. And in Vidar's debut episode, his aiming was so bad that it's even out of the TV frame . And he didn't get that much skill-point for hitting Hashmal either coz it's such a big target that even a shooter of his caliber wouldn't miss.

Just my 2-cents.
Old 2016-12-26, 12:51   Link #177
DMurphy

I mean, Iok is absolutely a bad soldier, for the same reasons that Carta is a bad soldier. And he is definitely a worse pilot than most of the named characters in the series, most of whom are insanely skilled prodigies.

But that doesn't change the facts, and neither does any amount of fanfic-ery or wishful thinking.

As far as him being called a sniper goes, he's shooting people from a long distance away using a sniper rifle, that is the literal definition of 'sniping.' Going "but I don't like him being called a sniper uwu" doesn't change the fact that he's literally sniping people, which is what snipers do.

As far as Hashmal goes, no, it does count. I explained why it counted earlier.

Old 2016-12-26, 21:29   Link #178
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
As far as him being called a sniper goes, he's shooting people from a long distance away using a sniper rifle, that is the literal definition of 'sniping.' Going "but I don't like him being called a sniper uwu" doesn't change the fact that he's literally sniping people, which is what snipers do.
I just want to reply to this part (as I don't really care about the others):

I just think that calling Iok an actual sniper would be a disservice to actual snipers out there both IRL & fictional. Coz a sniper, by common military definition, is:
Quote:
Highly trained soldiers adept in stealth, camouflage, infiltration, and observation techniques who specializes in shooting targets with modified rifles from incredibly long distances.
And a description from a real-life sniper:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont B.
I can’t emphasize enough that sniping is not about shooting every day. It’s about hours and hours of observation.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t see Iok being a good observer given his behavior, reaction & mannerism in battlefield (so far). Based on that, I also doubt that Iok is a highly-trained soldier which is a requirement for actual snipers.

Maybe because I have a close relative in the military and I know a thing or two about soldiers that I can’t in my good conscience call Iok an actual sniper. Maybe you can do it if you stick with the general description based on common dictionary. But fun fact: any soldier with a long/sniper rifle can do (or tried to do) sniping activity (like Iok), but certainly not all of them can be called snipers in the actual military-career sense. So, my reasoning is certainly not just "but I don't like him being called a sniper uwu" like you simply put it. There’s a technical reason behind it. So, until the show (directly or indirectly) states Iok as an actual sniper (like Lockon Stratos in Gundam 00, Yonem Kirks in Unicorn, the Zeon snipers in Thunderbolt, or the pilots of the GM Sniper I & II in 08th MS Team & Gundam 0080), I’m treating Iok as just a soldier who opt for long-range shooting/sniping and not much of an actual sniper. But that’s me. Others may consider & call Iok an actual sniper all they want.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2016-12-26 at 21:44.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-27, 04:42   Link #179
Skye629

Quote:
You're being disingenuous, because a character mentioning key information for the viewer is not the same as 'them talking about the ins and outs of every MS.'

Maybe I used the wrong wordings using "ins and outs" but it basically boils down to them talking about mechanical details, which I already touched on before. Ioks machine providing him the ability to place accurate long range shots is not key info that need to be talked about specifically in detail because it doesn't matter to the plot at all. In the end hes a pilot whos able to land long range shots (with or without his machine, it doesnt matter), and the show went slightly out of its way to remark on in the quote from the Dawn pilot you keep using

We get no suggestions that the Dawn Horizon Corps, who are more than able to give Tekkadan a run for their money even with Tekkadan fielding two Gundams, are somehow unexperienced with long range combat.

I never stated it was a fact, its a thing to CONSIDER, MAYBE, WHAT IF. Its called speculation and given all the MS/factions we have seen in the show so far? Probable cuz most MS are armed with machine guns and standard rifles. The only long ranged weapons we have seen are the smooth bore guns Tekkadan uses (the long rifle the Barbatos first used, then later the Gusion) then Ioks Leginraze's rifle.

And also might I remind you on that middle part that a bunch of their grunt units all got long range shotted by the Barbatos using only machine guns at the start of the fight to their surprise? Not much to go on but most factions in this series with any combat experience only seem to be used to the "norms" of MS combat and potential ranges

This is the key problem with both that argument and the 'well, maybe his suit just gives him super-accuracy!' argument: They're not actually arguments, they're fanfiction -- I've given you canonical evidence, and what you've given me in return is just speculation.

You can substitute them with anything. Maybe Iok is actually a X-Man with the power of super-sniping, who was sent through an interdimensional portal at birth. Maybe Iok isn't hitting anything at all, but an invisible suit behind him is making shots at the same time he is.

Not sure which part you are commenting on here, see why I put my replies in the quotes when theres tons of paragraphs and lines?

Stop backpedaling. It puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Backpedaling? Man you are definitely taking this way too seriously, relax man, I dont know how you are reading my comments but Im typing them while lazily relaxing and listening to music, its anything but hostile

Ah, yes, of course Isurugi wouldn't know what the suit's abilities are. Because that's how military organisations work -- they don't actually tell their senior officers what the new equipment they're going to get does, they just tell them it's on their way and then it's a delightful surprise when they get it. Isurugi would definitely be totally in the dark about key features of hardware he and his troops are eventually going to get. Naturally.

In general that information would primarily go to the mechanics/pilots, and thats who it concerns most. But lets say Isurugi did get the memo with the machine specs/blueprints/data/whatever, well he got the standard Leginraze info, not anything on a customized one as that would obviously depend on the pilot, which is the case with Ioks one

In the end though Isurugi and his take doesn't matter much, at the end of the day he failed to mention a new suit which he never expected, because the Arianhod fleet also appeared against any expectations. Him telling Tekkadan about it would have been mott as the original plan was just him and his reinforcements. For all we know too that info on the Leginrazes are classified

As for 'its specs say it has long-range weapons!' -- no shit, we've been talking about Iok sniping things, of course it has long-range weapons. His suit having long-range weapons and being customised as a long-range unit isn't news, but unless you have a source that says 'long-range Reginlazes enhance their pilots' accuracy' it doesn't mean anything.

"If you took Iok out of a suit with a sniper rifle and stuck him in a suit with a normal rifle, his sniping would take a hit!" Well, that is why sniper rifles exist. Because they're better at sniping than normal rifles. On a similar note, if you took Iok out of a mobile suit and put him in a cardboard box, he'd be far less efficient at fighting in space.

First off, I made a mistake in my post, meant to say a standard graze with an equivalent/same long range weapon, my bad, you can ignore that piece of idiocy

Really now? We have a suit thats officially stated to be a long range sniping/support type configuration with the appropriate weapon and you deny that it enhances their accuracy? BS, a weapon tuned to a specific purpose will always yield better results in their field than a generic weapon so long as its in decent hands.

The real question here is ACCURACY, because in Gundam shows aiming is handled by both a pilot and an aiming system built into the machine, and sometimes the firearm itself. So is Iok controlling the suit skillfully enough to land accurate shots? Or does he have some sort BS aiming hax system like the Freedom which allows him to land ridiculously accurate shots at long ranges? Neither of which can be proved unless we seem him landing equally accurate/long shots in another machine (doesnt have to be as good since he downgrading machines, but if he is seen landing more farther/accurate shots in a standard configuration, its more likely the former is true and hes more skilled than average in the marksmanship department)

These aren't arguments for anything, they're just truisms. Like, yeah, if snipers aren't using sniper rifles, they tend not to be great snipers. Lyudmila Pavlichenko was famously less adept at hitting her enemies with paper airplanes than a sniper rifle.
Man you are really going far with such a trivial piece of the show huh? All on an "I think" comment from me, aka speculation based on what is known

Ill reply one more time to humor you and leave it at that, cuz in the grand scheme of things Iok is only in the show to progress some plot points through his mishaps, and serve as comedic relief of sorts, and his MS/skills are minor things tied to that

At the end of the day, your argument and my speculation is pointless, because ALL the shots he made are in the Reginlaze, so its literally impossible to tell whether its the man or machine producing the results (or whichever one is the bigger factor in achieving said results)

As someone who handles firearms myself, I would normally say the person is the biggest factor behind landing a shot, but all that stuff is thrown out the door when it comes to a MS. You dont have to deal with breathing and marksmanship fundamentals, and you are in a machine that you can precisely control with the help of aiming systems/computers, at that point the balance evens out more