AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-13, 09:03   Link #41
vspirit
...huh?

Oh yeah, just remembered something that's been niggling at me about the show. It also has very strong Spirited Away vibes to it, right down to the ED. This is old news but I'm sold.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 09:38   Link #42
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1

I think the Mokke comparison is more apt than the Mushishi one (haven't read Tactics).

First ep didn't really grab me all that much, but I can easily enough believe this could get more interesting later on. Brains Base was the obvious draw for me to this series, they're last two series were outstanding. I'll keep this series at arm's length for now.
Indeed...it took me 2 eps to get into Kurenai fully in the first place

ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 13:06   Link #43
Dop
Mmmm....

I liked that. I liked the setting and the characters, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the story developed.

Poor Hishigaki. I loved the little blink and you miss it nod to Totoro there.

And did anyone else keep getting Aria-shachou vibes from Nyanko-sensei in lucky cat form?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 11:25   Link #44
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
i like this series especially when Natsume blow out the paper of yuujin chou
Old 2008-07-14, 15:50   Link #45
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
And did anyone else keep getting Aria-shachou vibes from Nyanko-sensei in lucky cat form?
Interestingly enough, he reminds me more of Ryuk (Death Note) in his snarky demeanor more than Aria-shachou.

I'd write something else more meaningful here, except Sorrow-K has pretty much said everything I thought of when I watched the first episode. There's a possibility that it might get more interesting, but also the possibility that it might be forgettable like Mokke.

The only thing this show has going for it right now is the flashbacks to Natsume's grandmother who seems to view the yokai as her playthings and treats them as such, which is a nice change from the run-of-the-mill schoolgirls as of late. Other than that, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 00:46   Link #46
neoeagle

reminds me of mushishi.
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:08   Link #47
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Pretty good, this show turned out alot better than what I had thought The show emits a 'positive aura' about it () and the two main characters are rather interesting, Natsume in paticular proves to be quite the fighter. Normally, guys that I've seen in his position would end up waiting and hoping for someone or something to rescue them, but not this guy He handed himself quite well.

This show would definitely go up in my rankings

And I wouldn't worry for Reiko, in the end she did find someone that understands her... After all, how else would we have Natsume-junior
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:30   Link #48
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
Interestingly enough, he reminds me more of Ryuk (Death Note) in his snarky demeanor more than Aria-shachou.

I'd write something else more meaningful here, except Sorrow-K has pretty much said everything I thought of when I watched the first episode. There's a possibility that it might get more interesting, but also the possibility that it might be forgettable like Mokke.

The only thing this show has going for it right now is the flashbacks to Natsume's grandmother who seems to view the yokai as her playthings and treats them as such, which is a nice change from the run-of-the-mill schoolgirls as of late. Other than that, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.
Not sure with the Mokke comparison since this show is already more memorable for me. That said, it almost defeats the purpose of arguing that since Mokke was definitely was all about lowkey connections to the Ayakashi and other mythical phenomena.

As for the weird cat-thing, I also have a weird Kuu vibe from Wagaya no Oinarisama. I mean, that cat was freed from imprisonment just the same way.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 12:56   Link #49
vspirit
...huh?

Just watched episode two and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna draw anymore comparisons. It has its own unique style as far as I know and it stays very true to the manga so far.

Hmm...never did watch Mokke so can't draw any comparisons there. I probably looked it up at ANN at some point but something about it must have discouraged me from watching...I wonder what it was...I love most anything to do with folklore but I prefer it when it isn't over-dramatized and is true to the folklore it draws its source from. Something more subdued but not necessarily low-key. I suppose it's cos of that I didn't especially enjoy things like Shounen Onmyouji, Amatsuki and Ayakashi (both the Bones one and the one with the blue-haired protagonist). I'll probably still give Amatsuki an occasional watch though, whereas the others I've utterly and completely dropped not even 5 episodes in. Mokke...what about it again...*checks ANN* Oh...loli-ish protagonist. With an even loli-er little sister. Double whammy. No wonder. Ahaha. But I'd watch Natsume Yuujinchou even if the protagonist were Reiko. There's just something about her...(and the fact that she is nowhere near the realms of loli-ism).

Well, as to whether or not it'd be unforgettable, I'd say it'll be for those who are inclined towards things like this the way I am and to those who aren't, well, they'd ditch after the first couple or so episodes, I'd expect. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a beautiful piece of work in its own right.

Now if only Hyakkiyakou Shou would have an anime, too, preferably some time in the not-too-far future.
Old 2008-07-15, 17:47   Link #50
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I promise you this going to be the last comparison . This was suggested by NSW and its right on the mark , the series has lot in common with Gakkou no Kaidan (clicky). I wont get into a long drawn debate by listing similarities but those who have watched Gakko no will have an idea about what I am talking about
Old 2008-07-16, 05:19   Link #51
Jehuty

Am I the only one that's deeply touched by the ending theme? it's really soothing, and yet, there is so much sadness to be felt from it. I had to listen to it like 3 times because I liked it that much. the 1st time I heard it it made me get a little misty eyed - and it's been so long since an anime's ever done that. I mean, just the ED alone...

Spoiler:

I will definitely be following this anime.
Old 2008-07-16, 06:21   Link #52
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2008-07-16, 11:08   Link #53
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I promise you this going to be the last comparison . This was suggested by NSW and its right on the mark , the series has lot in common with Gakkou no Kaidan (clicky). I wont get into a long drawn debate by listing similarities but those who have watched Gakko no will have an idea about what I am talking about
I took a look at the link and while I agree they have certain elements in common, quite eerily so in fact, just from reading the premise itself, it seems to me like it couldn't be more different, looking at it from the big picture angle. Well I suppose this is what you call having both distinct similarities as well as differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
Am I the only one that's deeply touched by the ending theme? it's really soothing, and yet, there is so much sadness to be felt from it. I had to listen to it like 3 times because I liked it that much. the 1st time I heard it it made me get a little misty eyed - and it's been so long since an anime's ever done that. I mean, just the ED alone...
No, you really are not. It had me at first listen. In fact, I was mesmerized right from the very first line itself. The lyrics are really fitting but combined with the music and the powerful and moving Amami Ooshima style singing (I reckon that it is since it's really Chitose Hajime-esque), it's just too beautiful for words in my books. I like it so much, I promoted it in my blog just the other day, with the youtube link to it. xD I hardly ever update my blog but these days it's updated once or twice a week with gushings of this anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Really wonder how Reiko died.
Far as I know, the manga hadn't mentioned it. I don't think it's really important how she died, though, since she only provides the background and isn't really instrumental to what's currently going on in the story. Still, she is an enigma and I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about her. Heh.

Anyway, I'm happy that some of you like it so much. The best is yet to come. ^_^ Well, if they follow the manga closely enough and if the anime is long enough to reach some of the really memorable chapters from the manga. I'm pimping it to my friends in real life, too. Hope it catches onto some of them.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-07-16 at 11:23.
Old 2008-07-16, 14:09   Link #54
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Episode 2 was every bit as good as the first episode...Bittersweet for sure, but very touching in a gentle way.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 03:55   Link #55
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

That was maybe the first time I ever had tears in my eyes for an Ayakashi (okay, actually I cried a bit). Jeez, the guy involved with the directing it did a few Aria episodes, directed Baccano and even worked for Super Milk Chan. Very quirky resume, but the guy knows how to tell a story.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 19:27   Link #56
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Brains Base are absolutely geniuses! (in the slice of life department for me anyway).

ep 2
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2008-07-17 at 19:38.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 20:27   Link #57
blewin

Just watched episode 1. Nice episode, emotional at the end, and pretty peaceful too. Love the humour there, the cat/dragon forms.

I don't get one thing though. Apparently Natsume's whipping out the name from the book and it disappears, so what does Sensei get? an empty book?
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 00:57   Link #58
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Just watched episode 1. Nice episode, emotional at the end, and pretty peaceful too. Love the humour there, the cat/dragon forms.

I don't get one thing though. Apparently Natsume's whipping out the name from the book and it disappears, so what does Sensei get? an empty book?
Sensei's hoping that he'll be killed by a youkai before he finishes giving all the names back.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 02:27   Link #59
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Sensei's hoping that he'll be killed by a youkai before he finishes giving all the names back.
Does that mean that the cat wouldn't be able to bind his own spirits with the book? And does the book have only a limited number of pages?

Anyway the whole show has a sad feeling about it but it's sort of a whispy regretful feeling. Thinking about it just now I'm sort of worried about how it'll end up since I can't see it having a non-bittersweet ending. But I should just enjoy the episodes now. Huh.
Ash Falls Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 02:28   Link #60
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Yeah, but in the end he keeps on saving Natsume

Tags
brains-base, fantasy, supernatural, yokai