AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-07-16, 22:14   Link #1061
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've always thought of Byousoku as a long series of haikus, with the humans overshadowed by the world around them. I think of it as a Buddhist show, showing the basic unsatisfactoriness of life. That's something even deeper than character development.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 01:15   Link #1062
higoku1

Sorry for straying from the topic. But to all Hayate no Gotoku manga readers, Hayate was finally reunited with Athena after 10 years of separation. Their love story was also pretty powerful IMO.
To those people who are still bitter from the ending (5cm per second of course), Hayate no Gotoku might offer some degree of consolation to your hearts.

Plus, does anybody knows anything about Shinkai's next project?
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 02:22   Link #1063
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

I've watched this movie yesterday. It has been sitting near me for a very long time, and I had no idea what it was about. So, I've decided to give it a shot...

Oh.. My.. God. I guess I couldn't have picked a better time to watch it. Beside the fact that I'm also going to a very very far place; leaving a precious friend behind, the movie in itself was amazing. I loved the drawings, music, characters, and how the "distance" theme was used.

I guess I was expecting a more cliche ending; the girl and the boy ending up together. But that was just probably my naive expectation to avoid more tears...

Astonishing movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
I found the contents of the letter.

Spoiler:
... That gave me mixed feelings and shivers. Thank you.
Skullchukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 08:15   Link #1064
higoku1

May I ask where on earth did you find this master piece? did you translated the whole thing yourself?
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 16:01   Link #1065
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

I think it was stated earlier that it was from the Novel.
Old 2009-07-31, 17:54   Link #1066
tresor

Quote:
Originally Posted by higoku1 View Post
Sorry for straying from the topic. But to all Hayate no Gotoku manga readers, Hayate was finally reunited with Athena after 10 years of separation. Their love story was also pretty powerful IMO.
To those people who are still bitter from the ending (5cm per second of course), Hayate no Gotoku might offer some degree of consolation to your hearts.

Plus, does anybody knows anything about Shinkai's next project?
He's back in Japan, from London, trying to mend fences with his cat. He feels the cat has betrayed him. So cat is at Shinkai's parents, Shinkai is nearby. Also, Shinkai is working on a Mac Air laptop all of the time and he thinks that he is as productive with it as he was with his regular computer, so hopefully good things are to follow.

cat's name is Sayuri
Old 2009-07-31, 18:29   Link #1067
Freeter
beyond

Have there been any announcements for a Bluray release outside Japan?
Old 2009-08-01, 08:00   Link #1068
Rickketik

amazing piece of work! the story is really heart warming...and kind of heart breaking

Mr. Shinkai is a really talented animator and storyteller.
Rickketik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 17:15   Link #1069
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Here's a little AMV I tried to make with 5 Centimeters Per second. ^^

It's from Blu Ray, so I suggest you watch it HD at youtube itself.

Last edited by Skullchukka; 2009-09-01 at 15:41.
Old 2009-08-30, 20:45   Link #1070
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I'm a little late, but I just finished watching this.

Spoiler:

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2009-09-01 at 14:10. Reason: Spoiler tags added.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 21:50   Link #1071
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

all of Shinkai's stuff isn't "happy." the argument could be made that Place Promised was the happiest out of the three, but the message I think Shinkai wants to get out is hope, which =/= happiness. i would detail it more, but ya, school starts tomorrow. i kinda wanna go back and watch it now.

anywho, any news on the new project?
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:10   Link #1072
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
all of Shinkai's stuff isn't "happy." the argument could be made that Place Promised was the happiest out of the three, but the message I think Shinkai wants to get out is hope, which =/= happiness. i would detail it more, but ya, school starts tomorrow. i kinda wanna go back and watch it now.
I haven't watched 'Place Promised' yet, its on my list. And I get the theme and all, but I think I would have liked it more if it was.. well.. happier. Maybe I'm just a sap. lol.
Old 2009-09-01, 21:09   Link #1073
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
I think Shinkai wants to get out is hope, which =/= happiness.
That's kind of the beauty of 5 Centimeters--the ending leaves you content in that every thing is resolved and Takaki has finally moved on, but at the same time you can't help but feel a little sadness that he didn't get his love and it leaves you wanting more--to see that future where he IS in love and happy. It's essentially the exact same thing Takaki is feeling with a completely different cause.

It's ending perfectly reflects your emotions with the protagonists and I can't really come up with many works in any field that have left me that way.
Old 2009-09-01, 21:47   Link #1074
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizer63 View Post
That's kind of the beauty of 5 Centimeters--the ending leaves you content in that every thing is resolved and Takaki has finally moved on, but at the same time you can't help but feel a little sadness that he didn't get his love and it leaves you wanting more--to see that future where he IS in love and happy. It's essentially the exact same thing Takaki is feeling with a completely different cause.

It's ending perfectly reflects your emotions with the protagonists and I can't really come up with many works in any field that have left me that way.
That is really true. Its a solid story. I'm still bummed that it took the guy SO LONG to get over it. Especially since he had at least two other greats girls near him, but I can understand how a beautiful girl will leave a strong impression on your when you're 13 and all.

Another gauge of the greatness here is how you really went through all of your emotions as you watched it. You really felt for the characters and their circumstances.
Spoiler for Episode 3:
Old 2009-09-01, 22:43   Link #1075
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

All of Shinkai's works are filled with a deep and kind of gentle melancholy. You feel like you're seeing the world through his eyes - he obviously sees incredibly beauty in nature and especially in the everyday creations of men, but also ultimately feels alone (this is a man who is currently not working because he feels his cat has betrayed him). I suppose "Place Promised" is ultimately the most hopeful of his works, but I would agree that hope is a better word for it than happiness.

Spoiler for 5CM Ending:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 02:31   Link #1076
M.Marangio

Apparently there is a chinese anime movie series, "Window of Heart" (?) (心灵之窗), that copied some parts of "5 Centimeters per Second".

Links with some comparisons:
http://en.gigazine.net/index.php?/ne...902_china_5cm/
http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/con.../1601020.shtml

ETA: This was posted also on ANN:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...5cm-per-second

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2009-09-02 at 15:12.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 07:11   Link #1077
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for 5CM Ending:
Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2009-09-02, 11:11   Link #1078
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've always thought of 5cm as a Buddhist religious film. For one thing, many of the images are like Zen haiku, giving a feeling of the immediate presence of the world. For another, the film conveys the basic Buddhist idea that life is unsatisfactory, a realm of inevitable suffering.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 13:34   Link #1079
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

its fairly obvious they took 5cm and did a half assed editing job on it. the frames are exactly the same, except the chinese version has added layers.
Old 2009-09-05, 13:18   Link #1080
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so i felt like watching this again. so good. so very good. i'm only 10 minutes in currently, but i can already feel the emotions starting to come out.

also, i pretty much realized that Takaki screwed himself when he lost his letter. if that hadn't happened, EVERYTHING would have turned out differently. (or at least that's the lie i told myself the first time i watched it..)

and also, the ending song finally makes more sense now. now that i've actually sat and read the lyrics.. haha. should have done that a long time ago.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-09-05 at 14:17.

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai