AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-09-06, 00:53   Link #1081
ShootingStars

i watched this uhh about last december about 8 times in fact... i really liked the ending song haha
about the chinese copy... I lol'd it would be nice if I could watch it too

this movie is better than any other work he has done imo, because it contains no magic/unreal stuff I do not prefer
its more realistic

i think shinkai's life WAS like that, which is why his movies are so melancholic
ShootingStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 02:24   Link #1082
tresor

Some Mysteries have cleared Up.

"Shinkai wants to get out is hope, which =/= happiness" Wow, that is a very tough call to make, its not really a function of his, Hope. Hope is a very direct parallel to Shinkai's type. Or if you would like to think of the train tracks in that way, getting on another rail, right next to that one. The Hope aspect is really interesting, because Shinkai is really that close to it, but remember when he took the train tracks in one of the 5cm previews a couple of years back, the trains line lead to "a life wide and lonely, spreading into hopelessness."
A really interesting juxtaposition to examine that thread would be to look at the Grave of the FireFlies Anime & then the live version. The girl in the anime was someone filled with hope, the girl in the live action version was someone with a very similar personality to Shinkai. In the end, the same result, so there is no mythic judgement of which is better, etc. BUT exactly parallel.
I'll give the parallel, both represent the end of the spectrum against change.

I think Shinkai is fairly straight forward, if not always forthcoming. I think, he is doing right now what would be his functioning, resting and allowing time to build up his energies for the next battle, which is apparently the cat

Tying up loose ends, I did watch the Hong Kong translation of 5cm/sec a while back, the one available via Yes/Asia in the USA. It is my favorite translation of the 5cm. I really felt the person/people that did that translation really liked the 5cm/sec and watching that translation I really felt as if I was watching it with
rather than reading, etc.

I figured out who/what type of person Akari Shinohara is, which means in all likelihood "Akari Shinohara" is a real person and this 5cm is basically a true story, not exactly a earth shattering update.

The type of person that "Akari Shinohara" corresponds with how Shinkai the great artist depicted her in 5cm/sec.
This person eyes are always staring out to new horizons, out to the seas, usually. This person takes a leadership position, takes the long view. Always looks for something different. This person would being towards a visionary, looking for greater possibilities. Importantly, this person is someone who watches over you, to the extent that many believe that this type of person has the ability to watch over you even after death.
So going through this quickly, with the Shinkai, the last scene in the second film, where she/Kanae says that Shinkai, grr, Tohno, is always looking past me to someone else, its actually a lot worse & exactly as Shinkai, grr, Tohno, depicts it. Tohno is looking out towards where he projects Akari is looking. And with one who is supposed to take the long view, and look after someone, even after death, it is, well... maybe its possible to understand why "Tohno" hung in so long. Plus, I would still being willing to bet substantially, that "Tohno" received some contact from "Akari" after the supposed "last contact." So here is the more sticky part. If Shinkai is really Tohno, it would add this piece, Akari's personality is very similar to the Shinkai, in the respect, one might considered "Tohno" to be the concrete, the one drawing and drawing out etc, and that Akari would be the abstract thinker. One could see, why, at a young age "Tohno" was so teaken with this possiblity, someone a lot like him, yet different enough. In the long term, they would not have made the love match. "Akari" requires someone more like a "Hilary Clinton" a "Seymour Cray," someone more demanding and exacting of rules and costs and HOLDS GRUDGES.

Will finish this posting later, going to work

Last edited by tresor; 2009-09-07 at 03:39. Reason: long passage of time
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 01:55   Link #1083
danielvutran

Why can't they be together? Akari and Takaki? Like, I don't understand. Why did they stop talking to each other lol? If they loved each other that much, they'd text each other and what not through the phone during high school. And when they grow up, they can marry each other. Sigh... What is actually stopping them? If they really wanted to be together, they could have, couldn't they? With the technology of phones and internet, I really don't see why not. And so, because of this, I just don't understand why they didn't.

I made an account just to say this . This movie made me really sad . And also disappointed, because I would have let my heart out if I were him..
danielvutran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 02:06   Link #1084
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielvutran View Post
Why can't they be together? Akari and Takaki? Like, I don't understand. Why did they stop talking to each other lol? If they loved each other that much, they'd text each other and what not through the phone during high school. And when they grow up, they can marry each other. Sigh... What is actually stopping them? If they really wanted to be together, they could have, couldn't they? With the technology of phones and internet, I really don't see why not. And so, because of this, I just don't understand why they didn't.

I made an account just to say this . This movie made me really sad . And also disappointed, because I would have let my heart out if I were him..
Well, if you notice in the end, Akari made a similar friend like Takaki had in high school. She could have forgotten about him or she could have been waiting for his messages like he was and in the end no one sent any.

It would have been good if they would have told us what Akari went through, like Takaki and his experiences.
Old 2009-09-09, 06:54   Link #1085
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-09, 18:15   Link #1086
danielvutran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Well, if you notice in the end, Akari made a similar friend like Takaki had in high school. She could have forgotten about him or she could have been waiting for his messages like he was and in the end no one sent any.

It would have been good if they would have told us what Akari went through, like Takaki and his experiences.
yeah definitely would have helped if they showed her High School life. I saw the part with her and the guy walking together after school and she looks in the mail box as well, but there are just 2 things that bothered me in this movie, that can be explained if they both just didn't love each other as portrayed fully..

the first is how come none of them sent even one letter afterwards? and not even a text message saying "hi " or even anything like that? I got the impression that they were both waiting for it, and I believe they were since in the flashbacks they were both staring at their mailboxes. I mean, their love at a young age seemed timeless, and yet I don't understand why not even one of them could say hello and ANYTHING at all, I mean, I know if I were in either of their positions, i would at least try and talk to them in some way, shape, or form.

and the second is how come she didn't look back after the train? and yes I know about the whole "moving on" aspect, however, if she truly loved him as much as he did / does (debatable), then wouldn't she at least stop there and say hi? or at least TALK to the dang guy. I mean, you can argue that she didn't want to bring up her past again, but why not? It was cause some conflict in her emotions sure, but in the end, it would only better herself. if she ends up falling in love with him again, then obviously she wasn't going to be truly happy with her fiance / husband, and so in the end, they both sort of win. Her fiance now knows that if they did get married, she wouldn't be as happy as she is with him (Takaki). And Takaki and Akari would obviously be happy as well. And if she finds out that she still has feelings for him, but finds out that she loves her current husband / fiance more, then it only justifies her love for him now. And she won't ever question marrying her fiance later on in her life if she ever stops and thinks "what if?" about Takaki.

But then again, this too, could be explained by her just not wanting to deal with any ''drama'' in her life. which is a bit immature, considering this is sort of taking the ''easy'' way out.

Sigh, I guess I am just disappointed in both of these characters. Not the way they were made, but the way they acted. And I know it's meant to not be a ''cheesy'' movie, but why not?

In the beginning, I took this movie as a good ending, with both of them moving on with their lives, and Takaki finally being able to leave his past behind and move on. However, now when I put even more thought into it, it seems like a truly sad movie. because to me, neither character is truly happy. and they will ALWAYS wonder, what if?

they loved each other when they were young, and from what I saw, the only thing separating them was distance . in comparison to other couples, where there are a multitude of things that make them break up (arguments, pet peeves, etc).

sigh, I hate this movie, it is so sad. and only because of the character's questionable actions. but I suppose that's what makes it realistic. you can't have a movie featuring 2 smart people who know how to solve every situation and live happily ever after, lol.

SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH ohh well..............
danielvutran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 20:19   Link #1087
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i love the continued analysis. as for texting, the first part of the movie was in 1993 or something like that. no texting yet.

i also believe her high school life was covered in the novel. i really really really wish it would be translated into english and released. i'd pay for it.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 21:13   Link #1088
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
yeah definitely would have helped if they showed her High School life. I saw the part with her and the guy walking together after school and she looks in the mail box as well, but there are just 2 things that bothered me in this movie, that can be explained if they both just didn't love each other as portrayed fully..

the first is how come none of them sent even one letter afterwards? and not even a text message saying "hi " or even anything like that? I got the impression that they were both waiting for it, and I believe they were since in the flashbacks they were both staring at their mailboxes. I mean, their love at a young age seemed timeless, and yet I don't understand why not even one of them could say hello and ANYTHING at all, I mean, I know if I were in either of their positions, i would at least try and talk to them in some way, shape, or form.
I think they slowly lost touch, I don't think it was a sudden stop, at least not on his part.

Quote:
and the second is how come she didn't look back after the train? and yes I know about the whole "moving on" aspect, however, if she truly loved him as much as he did / does (debatable), then wouldn't she at least stop there and say hi? or at least TALK to the dang guy. I mean, you can argue that she didn't want to bring up her past again, but why not? It was cause some conflict in her emotions sure, but in the end, it would only better herself. if she ends up falling in love with him again, then obviously she wasn't going to be truly happy with her fiance / husband, and so in the end, they both sort of win. Her fiance now knows that if they did get married, she wouldn't be as happy as she is with him (Takaki). And Takaki and Akari would obviously be happy as well. And if she finds out that she still has feelings for him, but finds out that she loves her current husband / fiance more, then it only justifies her love for him now. And she won't ever question marrying her fiance later on in her life if she ever stops and thinks "what if?" about Takaki.

But then again, this too, could be explained by her just not wanting to deal with any ''drama'' in her life. which is a bit immature, considering this is sort of taking the ''easy'' way out.
When they crossed paths she already had someone important to her, someone more important than him. And after ten years time and having someone in your heart, the old is "thrown out" for the new.

Quote:
Sigh, I guess I am just disappointed in both of these characters. Not the way they were made, but the way they acted. And I know it's meant to not be a ''cheesy'' movie, but why not?

In the beginning, I took this movie as a good ending, with both of them moving on with their lives, and Takaki finally being able to leave his past behind and move on. However, now when I put even more thought into it, it seems like a truly sad movie. because to me, neither character is truly happy. and they will ALWAYS wonder, what if?
I think he is the only one who will look back. She did think of him, but only after she found the letter she never gave him. Someone said in an earlier post that if they had exchanged letters that night things would have been completely different. Perhaps they both knew happy times like they had that night would never happen again.

Quote:
they loved each other when they were young, and from what I saw, the only thing separating them was distance . in comparison to other couples, where there are a multitude of things that make them break up (arguments, pet peeves, etc).
They lived really, really far away. More than a day's travel. They also were not committed to each other like a true couple - they were kids who unspokenly loved each other.

Quote:
sigh, I hate this movie, it is so sad. and only because of the character's questionable actions. but I suppose that's what makes it realistic. you can't have a movie featuring 2 smart people who know how to solve every situation and live happily ever after, lol.

SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH ohh well..............
I don't hate this movie, its not a favorite since it was so bitter sweet, but it left an impression that will never be forgotten. I doubt I'll ever watch it again since it was painful to watch at times, more than being happy, but I won't forget it. Its like School Days, I hate that anime with a passion but I hate it because of its greatness - if it was crappy it wouldn't have left such an impression on me. Thank god this movie had a better ending.
Old 2009-09-09, 22:01   Link #1089
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i love the continued analysis. as for texting, the first part of the movie was in 1993 or something like that. no texting yet.

i also believe her high school life was covered in the novel. i really really really wish it would be translated into english and released. i'd pay for it.
In the novel it focused on his life as well but goes into more details, about his high school, college and his girlfriends he had over the years.

As for the one that said that she should have turned back and said "hi" when they came across each other, it was probably because:

1) She didn't recognize him.

2) She moved on and is now happily married.

3) She got crushed by the train.

EDIT: This movie reminds me of '500 Days of Summer' for some reason.

Last edited by Zwei; 2009-09-09 at 22:33.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 22:50   Link #1090
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
It reminds you of that because it's both about a guy who was deeply taken by a girl. Except in the case of 500 Days of Summer, he actually got over her in a reasonable amount of time.

Where as in this anime... he just never got over her. I am not sure if that's realistic. I think in real life, most people can get over a girlfriend/boyfriend they used to love within 5 years...
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 07:09   Link #1091
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I haven't seen that yet, but I will when its out on DVD. Looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Where as in this anime... he just never got over her. I am not sure if that's realistic. I think in real life, most people can get over a girlfriend/boyfriend they used to love within 5 years...
The only way to get over someone is to let go. The guy held on as tightly as he could and didn't let anyone get close enough to him (at least not in the movie). I think most people would have moved on, but he was an exception.
Old 2009-09-11, 21:07   Link #1092
FugibayashiFlower<3

a have a forum for this?!
LOL!
yay!!!!!!
lol. i love this movie!

Be calm in your HEART. {Clannad FTW!<3}
FugibayashiFlower<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 08:02   Link #1093
goodman528

Quote:
how come none of them sent even one letter afterwards?

how come she didn't look back after the train?
They did send letters to each other afterwards, according to the novel, but they just slowly stopped. It's like having a good friend far away, eventually you just run out of things to say, and slowly stops contacting so regularly, then stops contact all together. Because they were each living separate lives, in separate places, going through different experiences... etc. So it becomes harder and harder for them to relate to each other.

I only really understood this kind of thing about long distance friendships after I went to uni. Then, despite the best of intentions, it is difficult to keep old high school friends, especially when they've not gone to uni. You just end up drifting apart. Yes, it is sad, and the saddest thing about it, is it's so inevitable, you can't really do anything about it.

And, that kind of answers your second question too. She knows there is nothing (worthwhile) left that can happen between the two of them anymore. OR, you could say, she knows whatever can happen between them now will ruin her current state of happiness. So, she does NOT even want to consider having any feelings for him in the present tense, because the important thing to note here, is she has made a choice to love someone else other than Tohno. From your post, I think you believe love is something that happens outside of the person's control, and you have to just go with the flow. And, that's why you and me have a different opinion on Akari. Because I think Akari chose to move on, and to her it was a conscious choice to love her present husband, and because of that, she will not consider having feelings for anyone else, including Tohno. And, because it is so difficult for her to leave tohno, so she doesn't want to face him. So, Akari running away from the train tracks actually shows that she DID have real deep feelings for him, and that's why Tohno smiled as he walked away from the tracks. He is not wondering "what if?". He is thinking, "She did love me. But that's in the past now"

They had the Karma from their previous lives to cross paths in this life, but they don't have the fate to be together. That's kind of an old theme in Chinese / Japanese literature.

As for the happy or sad ending, or what happened next. I wondered that too. I think it's a realistic ending. My interpretation is: Akari will go on to lead a happy family life with her husband, they will probably stay together till they die, and have a few children. She will one day tell her grand children about some guy called Tohno, and most likely keep her letter to him. As for Tohno, I don't see how he can love someone like that again. He will probably spend a few of years doing freelance, and becoming quite successful in his work, because he is so devoted to it. I think Tohno's future family life will be quite sterile at best. The traditional way is to say, he gets married out of convenience rather than love, then eventually builds a home with his new wife. The more modern way would be to say, he gets married, has kids, then get divorced, and continues his search for happiness... ... So, it is a happy ending for Akari, and an arguably sad ending for Tohno.

This is by far the best movie I saw this summer. I really identifies with Tohno. I think the central message I took away from the film is simply that, love is an opportunity you have to grab and a choice you have to make.
goodman528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 10:16   Link #1094
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Damn, that was well said. It helps to have read the novel, huh? lol.

And I'd like to believe that Tohno will get over Akari and live a happy life as she does. To be tied down by something that happened so long ago isn't healthy.

It is a well done production, that much is for sure.
Old 2009-09-26, 23:07   Link #1095
feRfe

the gaps
which cannot be closed
a life
alone
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 07:23   Link #1096
y0shi

I'm sory for necropushing but I just watched this and I'm a bit confused.
I thought that them meeting in the last part wasnt really happening but more an imagination since the scene reminded him of her ?_?

And where can I find a translation for the novel? I've searched a bit but cant find anything :/

~ I'll hold your hand if you hold mine ~
~ The time that we kill keeps us alive ~
y0shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 08:15   Link #1097
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0shi View Post
I'm sory for necropushing but I just watched this and I'm a bit confused.
I thought that them meeting in the last part wasnt really happening but more an imagination since the scene reminded him of her ?_?
That is up to interpretation.
Spoiler:
Old 2010-01-06, 09:34   Link #1098
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well, I finally got around to watching this, and i have to say. Very sad. The first episode wa sgreat. I could totally understand how Tohno felt during that agonising train trip.

It's hard for me to accept how being seperated from a childhood sweetheart could have such an adverse affect, particularly since it was not as strong as the effect it had on Akari.

Though I would've liked them to have met at that final moment, it was nice to see Tohno smile at the end. Unlike in the first episode, Akari didn't wait the second time and I think Tohno realised that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 12:22   Link #1099
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well, I finally got around to watching this, and i have to say. Very sad. The first episode wa sgreat. I could totally understand how Tohno felt during that agonising train trip.
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Quote:
It's hard for me to accept how being seperated from a childhood sweetheart could have such an adverse affect, particularly since it was not as strong as the effect it had on Akari.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Spoiler for Episode 3:

Quote:
Though I would've liked them to have met at that final moment, it was nice to see Tohno smile at the end. Unlike in the first episode, Akari didn't wait the second time and I think Tohno realised that.
Spoiler for Episode 3:

If you really liked this but would have rathered a happier tone and ending then read the manga Watashitachi no Tamura-kun (Our Dear Tamaru-kun). I wish that the story would be adapted into an anime some day.
Old 2010-01-07, 07:14   Link #1100
y0shi

I'd really like to read the novel, although I see why the anime is that short I think its just a bit too short and lacks a bit too much information. So does anyone know about the novel?

~ I'll hold your hand if you hold mine ~
~ The time that we kill keeps us alive ~
y0shi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai