AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-08-21, 00:09   Link #701
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCD View Post
Recently received volumes 1-4 off of amazon. The Western style covers are absolutely horrid, Thankfully volumes 2-4 are only slipcovers. Is there any way to get my hands on a slipcover for volume 1? I tried to contact Yenpress a week ago and have yet to hear back from them.
Did you try contacting Hachette directly? If not, try that through the "everything else" or what ever it's called option on yen press... and pick to contact costumer service. It may take a couple more days.

It took them a few days to get back in touch with me, but once they did, they were all over it. They helped me get a copy of the first release volume 1 dust jacket for the copy I had bought for my friend... before I knew that certain online stores did not have the dust jacket.

It was sent to me free within a day or two of me giving them my address!!!!!
Old 2011-08-21, 00:44   Link #702
DDCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Did you try contacting Hachette directly? If not, try that through the "everything else" or what ever it's called option on yen press... and pick to contact costumer service. It may take a couple more days.

It took them a few days to get back in touch with me, but once they did, they were all over it. They helped me get a copy of the first release volume 1 dust jacket for the copy I had bought for my friend... before I knew that certain online stores did not have the dust jacket.

Odd, my post disappeared, I contacted Hachette through the everything else option. That's great to hear though
DDCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 04:08   Link #703
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Quote:

I appreciate this too. It seems I really did see a non-dj volume one at my Barnes&Noble a few weeks back. Nice to know that I wasn't hallucinating. xD
Phoenix6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 13:00   Link #704
Kamonichan

Also got my limited edition Season Two, complete with coin. I'm not sure what to do with the coins; I'm actually thinking of turning them into necklaces/pendants/amulets, whatever. Just to have some Spice and Wolf bling
Kamonichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 13:04   Link #705
KyoKyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamonichan View Post
Also got my limited edition Season Two, complete with coin. I'm not sure what to do with the coins; I'm actually thinking of turning them into necklaces/pendants/amulets, whatever. Just to have some Spice and Wolf bling
Be careful of the drillbit if you're gonna turn it into a pendant. I tried making one for my wife using the Lina Inverse coin that the Funimation booth was giving out at Otakon last year and it cracked....
KyoKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 12:45   Link #706
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

My BD's arrived today which makes a new speed record with RightStuff for me
Haven't had a chance to watch them yet, really nice packaging actually, and the artwork on the filler cardboard is nice (so I'm keeping it) but do have 2 minor dissapointments

1)Despite Funimation designing the Ltd Edition S2 casing to hold both seasons 'snugly', they didn't think to package the BD release of S1 in DVD sized casing, so you can either put the DVD (re-release if you want to go for matching looks) with it snugly, or put the S1 BDs in loosely, as the S1 BD casing is the standard BD style, so both thinner and shorter than the 4 disc DVD case.

2) Still no JP 5.1 audio
You've got HD Audio for both channels, but still only english in 5.1, whereas I, like a lot of people, prefer to watch in JP. It'd have been nice to have a 5.1 JP option, even if it was only DD or DTS instead of THD.

Still this completes my set of all the US released video materials; I've got the original S1 release DVDs, the rerelease (with different box artwork), the S1 standalone BD release, and the S2 BD/DVD Dual release.
And it's STILL not officially out in England
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 19:06   Link #707
Rajura

Yeah, it disappointed me as well. I figure they will do a Blu-ray/DVD combo for Season 1 soon enough. I just wish they would have kept the boxing consistent. Blu-rays and DVDs separately or together. I have all the releases as well, but I really wish Funimation would have been more customer friendly with these.

Oh well, as long as Holo gets the attention she deserves...!!!
Old 2011-08-25, 06:46   Link #708
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Well, from the sounds of it the UK importer is struggling to get hold of the recent artbook, in thier own words, thier distributors/buyers keep putting in orders but aren't getting any stock coming through.

Luckily, CDJapan have some in stock at the moment, so I'll get one Fedex'd over. Reading through CDJapan's information, it sounds like its going to be painful on tax etc, but I'd rather have the book than not.
I've got them to mark it as a gift on the off chance it helps!
Old 2011-08-29, 20:46   Link #709
poleno

Finally, got Art Book from Japan (CDJapan). Happy It will be interesting for me to guess what's the story happening behind the scenes on some images.
I noticed two images with hares on it. Does somebody know the meaning of it? Or it's just a part of stories that i didn't manage to read yet?
poleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 21:01   Link #710
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

My artbook should be with me this evening if customs doesnt cause major issues
Old 2011-08-29, 22:27   Link #711
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleno View Post
Finally, got Art Book from Japan (CDJapan). Happy It will be interesting for me to guess what's the story happening behind the scenes on some images.
I noticed two images with hares on it. Does somebody know the meaning of it? Or it's just a part of stories that i didn't manage to read yet?
What page was that? I don't recall it right off the top of my head.
Old 2011-08-30, 11:59   Link #712
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Wow, the artbook is extremely nice Much bigger than the first guide/artbook. Really high quality prints too, some of them are amazingly sharp.

Only thing that's a shame is it's not a hardback to protect it more
Well, that and I couldn't read the short comic style thing near the back that looked pretty funny with Lawrence all 'garr'ed up, until it looks like Holo fails him haha
Old 2011-08-30, 17:03   Link #713
poleno

Quote:
What page was that? I don't recall it right off the top of my head.
page 91 and page 189.
the first one looks like manga's picture.
Old 2011-08-30, 17:31   Link #714
Rajura

I know the second one came from Ookami to Kin no Mugiho... I don't think they are of particular significance.

I believe the other is from Volume XVI. I do not recall the significance of the picture.
'twould be best answered by another such as Kaguya and contained in a spoiler box for anyone who has not read that far.
Old 2011-08-31, 19:59   Link #715
poleno

Quote:
I know the second one came from Ookami to Kin no Mugiho... I don't think they are of particular significance.

I believe the other is from Volume XVI. I do not recall the significance of the picture.
Heh, interesting, thanks.

Even more, Amazon has sent Season 2 DVD Combo Limited Edition today at last. I bought it few months ago...
Old 2011-09-03, 01:40   Link #716
Kamonichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoKyo View Post
Be careful of the drillbit if you're gonna turn it into a pendant. I tried making one for my wife using the Lina Inverse coin that the Funimation booth was giving out at Otakon last year and it cracked....
Mm, that was a big concern for me. I was thinking of an indirect method, like making it out of coin-holder/s and then putting each coin in one. Not sure how much that would cost or how to go about securing one, but I'll look into it.

That aside, ordered a copy of the above-mentioned artbook from CD-Japan. Time to pray for a safe delivery. Also, it's still so much fun to watch the Lawrence v. Amati merchant battle, now on the big (22") screen.
Kamonichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 23:54   Link #717
Rajura

Well, I was finally able to sit down and watch all of the English version of Season II.

I am disappointed that they used the second version of ep 9 were Holo looks at the books in reverse... I like the original (and more dimly lit version) better.

But, I am glad they used the "real kiss" version of ep 12.

I loved the banter between Holo and Lawrence in English... it was truly sweet. It may not have been an EXACT translation, but it suited them well for the most part.
Truly, her wit and sweetness demonstrate why she is the perfect female!

Again, I am disappointed that Brina did not do an English version of the bonus short Holo videos.

The biggest disappointment, there was no "textless" ep 12 ending... unlike with the original Japanese releases.*

*See link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieGVowyAnl0

***Oh and the using the name St. Francis as opposed to St. Lambardos (or whatever it was originally), I did not care for that, but I am sure there was a reason for it; I suppose we will see when Volume V is released.

But, as I said earlier, overall I am happy.

Last edited by Rajura; 2011-09-14 at 13:33. Reason: Added content
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 14:53   Link #718
BLAM
Loner

Quote:
I am disappointed that they used the second version of ep 9 were Holo looks at the books in reverse... I like the original (and more dimly lit version) better.

But, I am glad they used the "real kiss" version of ep 12.
Real Kss? Reverse reading? Tell me more!

Also, does anyone have information on the two spice & wolf games? All I know is that they are dating-style peddlar games for the DS, not sure about English translations but I see them around on google.
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 15:11   Link #719
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAM View Post
Real Kss? Reverse reading? Tell me more!
There was 2 different cuts/edits of a few scenes in S2.

The ones Rajura prefers are the ones that were in the 'TV edit', whereas the Japanese BD used some re-edits, and whilst I don't mind the book one, I do think the change to the kiss scene (and the obvious pan used) hurt the scene, so I'm glad they changed it back

By contrast the US releases use the original cut for the kiss
Old 2012-04-06, 13:13   Link #720
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Received today this Artbook^^

Spoiler:

Question about one illustration

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

BTW Great Artbook and.. Don't attack me...this is a screen that i download from the net... I haven't opened my artbook in this way ^^