AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-03, 18:58   Link #41
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

I don't what possessed the staff to run Itami's "I'm Otaku!" shtick into ground the way they did, but if it was supposed endure him to me it had opposite effect. Well, at least the part wit F2P mobile game funny, otherwise the rest of the show dials that down a bit in coming episodes. It's not something we need to be reminded of like every 5 minutes. That aside I thought the first episode was fine (save for some admissions) and the OP is surprising good too.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-03 at 19:27.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 19:38   Link #42
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I knew little about this show other than a synopsis elsewhere. I had no idea that otaku dude was a trained ass kicker. Should be interesting down the road.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 19:57   Link #43
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Hey guys, is Itami into anime? I couldn't tell. The episodes gave hints, but wasn't very clear.

Sarcasm aside, I do like this show. I've read the manga, and I'm still kind of surprised that they made an animated series of it so soon even though the manga isn't very long.
Old 2015-07-03, 20:07   Link #44
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

I've read the manga and definitely following this. First episode was alright. I'm a bit bummed by the level of violence censorship. I expected them to censor the gore but I didn't think they would cut away from every death. It's a little tacky. You can have death without gore, plenty of anime animate someone get sliced or stabbed with only a little blood.
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 20:12   Link #45
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Do remember that Gate was original a full novel and not a light novel. It'd be better to say that we're getting the first 2 volumes into these 24 episodes at this rate.
I do remember that the full novel was supposed to have more politics, specifically far-right politics with a touch of jingoism if I recall correctly. I doubt that would be the case for the anime adaptation so I'm inclined to believe it will be based more on the toned-down light novels than the novels. Someone who read the novels may be able to clear this up as what information I have is spotty at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
I've read the manga and definitely following this. First episode was alright. I'm a bit bummed by the level of violence censorship. I expected them to censor the gore but I didn't think they would cut away from every death. It's a little tacky. You can have death without gore, plenty of anime animate someone get sliced or stabbed with only a little blood.
Did you miss the part where Random Civilian A got himself hacked by some random soldier on-screen? What about all the corpses littering the street? Either way should be interesting to see how they'll censor what would be outright war between SDF forces and the Empire next episode.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 20:31   Link #46
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
Did you miss the part where Random Civilian A got himself hacked by some random soldier on-screen? What about all the corpses littering the street? Either way should be interesting to see how they'll censor what would be outright war between SDF forces and the Empire next episode.
I didn't miss any of that, I made it pretty clear I'm talking about death animations and not post death.
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 20:46   Link #47
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Hey guys, is Itami into anime? I couldn't tell. The episodes gave hints, but wasn't very clear.

Sarcasm aside, I do like this show. I've read the manga, and I'm still kind of surprised that they made an animated series of it so soon even though the manga isn't very long.
The manga is not the source material though. Everything is based on a regular novel. After that came a ligh novel adaption and then the manga adaption. So the anime is the 4th version of the same story.
Old 2015-07-03, 20:57   Link #48
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Oh man, this show has one crazy premise. So crazy what it has potential. I love these kind of "what-if" scenarios. I did like the overpowering of the other worldly warriors with .50 cal guns and rapid fire.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 21:42   Link #49
mysterious

I just love these anime where the real and fantasy world interact with each other. It is like dream come true. The MC looks likable too. He knows what to do when the situation calls for it. Hopefully they will not skip to much of the rather bloody interaction between the two worlds. The fact that they are willing to show corpses on the street gives me some hope.
Old 2015-07-03, 21:47   Link #50
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Just as good as I was hoping. With this and Rokka no Yuusha, the high fantasy lover in me is more than satisfied.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 21:57   Link #51
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, the toned down violence is expected, but it DOES somewhat detracts the severity of the situation.

For example, the manga used shocking imagery like the Empire soldiers piling up the corpses of civilians in a heap and thrusting a flag on top of the pile. Or a dragon biting the torso of a young woman off, leaving severed lower body on the street.

It did really drive home the barbaric nature of the attack, and easier to accept counter attacks following.
Old 2015-07-03, 22:20   Link #52
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, the toned down violence is expected, but it DOES somewhat detracts the severity of the situation.

For example, the manga used shocking imagery like the Empire soldiers piling up the corpses of civilians in a heap and thrusting a flag on top of the pile. Or a dragon biting the torso of a young woman off, leaving severed lower body on the street.

It did really drive home the barbaric nature of the attack, and easier to accept counter attacks following.
Still, my understanding is that that kind of gore is simply outright unacceptable on television there. It is a pity, but there are limits to what can be shown. The simple fact is the Gate attack was meant to imitate 9/11 in how it galvanised a population for war, but that level of violence just isn't possible to be portrayed.
Old 2015-07-03, 22:49   Link #53
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Still, my understanding is that that kind of gore is simply outright unacceptable on television there. It is a pity, but there are limits to what can be shown. The simple fact is the Gate attack was meant to imitate 9/11 in how it galvanised a population for war, but that level of violence just isn't possible to be portrayed.
I think the causality count shouldn't have been omitted in the TV news though.
Already I see tons of reactions on 2ch questioning justification of retaliation, as many didn't seem to understand the gravity of the attack.
Old 2015-07-03, 23:19   Link #54
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I think the causality count shouldn't have been omitted in the TV news though.
Already I see tons of reactions on 2ch questioning justification of retaliation, as many didn't seem to understand the gravity of the attack.
Yeah, it seemed easy to assume only a dozen people have died from what was shown, when in reality the casualty should be in the hundreds if not thousands. That pile of flowers next to the gate by all respects should be the size of a small hill.
Old 2015-07-04, 00:17   Link #55
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

OK, episode one deviated from the manga a bit, most notably with the lack of gore level of the manga, but also, I think they spent far too much time with the otaku Youji jokes. IIRC the manga only had one instance of "at this rate, they'll cancel to the summer Comiket" jokes.

Also, the Battle of Ginza was a lot longer, in the manga, for instance, there was a while where the cops were just holding the Imperials out of the palace with just handguns, MP5s, and riot shields until the JSDF helicopters showed up and rocketed the ever-loving shit out of the invading army. IMO, they could have spent a bit more time on the battle and less on otaku jokes.

Still, here's hoping they at least do a good job with the Battle of Alnus Hill next episode and the Seige of Italica (the Apocalypse Now homage).

As for the character designs, Youji's character design is pretty much spot-on, as is Tuka's, and Rory's is OK. Lelei looks a bit younger than she is in the manga. As for the others, I've noticed Kurata looks a lot different in the anime from the manga, and, though we only saw her in the opening, I seem to recall Shino Kuribayashi having black hair in the manga, now she has brown hair. That said, I'm willing to forgive the discrepencies in appearance if they do the characters well.

Overall, I thought the anime adaptation look pretty good, but with some flaws that meant it didn't quite live up to the manga, which I strongly recommend anyone who hasn't watched this read.

As for the opening song, IDK, I though it didn't quite fit as well as something a bit more rock or metal inspired would- IDK something about a dissonance between J-pop and slaughtering fantasy pseudo-Romans with modern military hardware. Now, obviously, my ideal Gate OP of a collaboration between Sabaton (a heavy metal band that write mostly about modern warfare) and Blind Guardian (another metal band- mostly high fantasy themes) would never happen, but a man can dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The JSDF is in the credits as advisers. But in-story they don't use the latest equipment, mostly because the story was set and written during Bush Junior's time and as such won't have all the latest gear. And anyway they even mention in-story that they have budget restrictions.
For what I've seen in the anime, the JSDF seem to be using mostly older hardware like they do in the manga, including Type 64 rifles, Type 73 tanks, F-4 Phantom jets etc. Makes sense, considering you're fighting someone who is essentially at medieval technology level, so you hardly need your newest and best weapons.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 01:10   Link #56
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
OK, episode one deviated from the manga a bit, most notably with the lack of gore level of the manga, but also, I think they spent far too much time with the otaku Youji jokes. IIRC the manga only had one instance of "at this rate, they'll cancel to the summer Comiket" jokes.

Also, the Battle of Ginza was a lot longer, in the manga, for instance, there was a while where the cops were just holding the Imperials out of the palace with just handguns, MP5s, and riot shields until the JSDF helicopters showed up and rocketed the ever-loving shit out of the invading army. IMO, they could have spent a bit more time on the battle and less on otaku jokes.
As much as the manga is the main adaptation we all know, do remember that the manga is just another adaptation of the original novel story. In such a case, I'd like to see the anime being seen on its own merits or in comparison to the original novel source, even though it's unfortunate that the original novel hasn't really been translated extensively.

Though I do agree, the could've spent less time on Itami's otaku side. The bit with the mobile game for instance could've been left out entirely.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 03:01   Link #57
Side-streetdog

Only thing I would complain is their eyes were too big in some character.

Fist episode was far more impact than I thought.

I was expected that they will go other world and do things in first episode.
But they decided to make full tragedy of Ginza, and detailed what make this series start.

And I like that they got a feeling of seriousness all over the place.

Great beginning!!
Old 2015-07-04, 04:15   Link #58
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
As much as the manga is the main adaptation we all know, do remember that the manga is just another adaptation of the original novel story. In such a case, I'd like to see the anime being seen on its own merits or in comparison to the original novel source, even though it's unfortunate that the original novel hasn't really been translated extensively.

Though I do agree, the could've spent less time on Itami's otaku side. The bit with the mobile game for instance could've been left out entirely.
I have all of Gate novels including the Gaiden. Only book missing is the Gaiden+ that was released last month, and still on its way to my house. I also have all the manga tankoubon.

By comparison, the manga has so far been a very faithful adaptation compared to anime, which half the episode was added material.
I imagine the anime will continue to restructure the story due to episode constraints and censorship.
Looking forward to seeing what they keep and omit. (which I don't mind, heck I would say nearly half of the content could be left out for pacing sake.)
Old 2015-07-04, 04:39   Link #59
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 1:
Wow, Itami-san saving lives and killing medieval soldiers will sure grant him medals... at the cost of missing out the doujinshi event!

Meanwhile, I was wondering if this anime adaptation will generate controversies since the author is a right-wing activist?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 05:23   Link #60
cyth
Banned

I was surprised Itami () was given commendation for heroic acts. I mean sure he saved a few people, but the prologue wasn't that convincing. I mean he probably deserves a medal, but not to be made into a public hero, considering he was just one out of many who fended off the attackers.

Other than that, it caught me off guard that the former prime minister's term expired. There's probably some resentment on the author's part on how things stand in Japanese politics. Also, the situation with JSDF and America working together kind of coincides with their efforts in the real world to expand Japan's military capabilities and authority. But instead of working in the context of invading a foreign land, they proclaim the Gate to be part of Japan. Very greedy and very smart. This is a very different Japan from what I'm used to. But I like it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military science fiction, seinen