AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-28, 13:56   Link #2001
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Matrim's right that Furoe's feelings for Aaeru weren't that overt, and at first were just admiration of her flying. But in addition to Futaba-chan's points, how about the full-on kiss Furoe gave Aaeru when she was trying to teach her what love was?

The thing that struck me about Neviril and Aaeru in the latter part of the series was that they seemed somehow distant...
Spoiler for eps25-26:
Thank you so much to atosaki (and to warainagara) for the translation. Now I think I understand the Japanese, AS (Nishida Asakao) said she wrote it herself, in the style of the mangaka Hoshi Poemu 星ぽえ夢. Unwilling to leave well enough alone, I have made my own rather loose translation:

I might have chosen a place other than this,
But I accept my life here.

I could have remained where all my friends are,
But with the one I love, I abandoned everything and flew away to the other shore I had dreamed of since I was young.

To be a shoujo is not forever. A shounen has his freedom taken from him and goes off to fight.
You...and you...are another possibility. A choice I did not make.
I, living in the real world, and I, the shoujo in a dream,
We will never touch, and our eternal love will not come to fruition.
But that is no misfortune. It is such a sweet, nostalgic memory.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 18:46   Link #2002
wowo

Aw, that's so sweet. I just really loved Floe, she/he is a character I'll never forget.

Btw, not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the red eye was taken out in the DVD version.
The director mentioned in that hobby japan (? I think) interview that the staff had half the planning time as usual per episode for an anime series, so I'm sure there are a lot of inconsistencies in the story in general. It sounded like they made the story up as they went along right up to the voice recording phase (he mentioned something about brainstorming during the recording session o_o). Like the whole Anglus thing. I have a feeling more than half the settings of Simoun are made by fleeting thoughts of the staff, so it's an anime that's hard to analyze to death. It's best if you just take what you get from it, and enjoy.

In a way it reminds me of GAINAX's Evangelion. People analyzed it to death since it looked like there was a ton of meaning, but the director himself said that there really is no meaning. :P

Oh, btw - people who loved Simoun are sure to love "Revolutionary Girl Utena". If you haven't seen it, you've got to take a look at what I think is the main influence on the Simoun world.

Cheers, Simoun fans!
wowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 19:56   Link #2003
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowo
...Btw, not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the red eye was taken out in the DVD version. The director mentioned in that hobby japan (? I think) interview that the staff had half the planning time as usual per episode for an anime series, so I'm sure there are a lot of inconsistencies in the story in general. It sounded like they made the story up as they went along right up to the voice recording phase (he mentioned something about brainstorming during the recording session o_o). Like the whole Anglus thing. I have a feeling more than half the settings of Simoun are made by fleeting thoughts of the staff, so it's an anime that's hard to analyze to death. It's best if you just take what you get from it, and enjoy...In a way it reminds me of GAINAX's Evangelion. People analyzed it to death since it looked like there was a ton of meaning, but the director himself said that there really is no meaning...Oh, btw - people who loved Simoun are sure to love "Revolutionary Girl Utena". If you haven't seen it, you've got to take a look at what I think is the main influence on the Simoun world....
Lol, that's exactly how it seemed sometimes: making it up as they went along. But that doesn't mean it had no meaning. Just that the details might end up being contradictory. The meaning was definitely there, whether the director realized it or not.

This is a common thing with song lyrics and poems: the writer doesn't realize what he/she has put into them. I'm definitely going to continue analyzing Simoun, just not expecting everything to fit together literally. But we already knew it didn't all exactly fit, didn't we?

And I'll second the recommendation of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Mysterious, remarkable, thrilling. I personally liked the TV series better than the film.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-09-28, 20:14   Link #2004
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Ah, so that's why the plot is so... vague.
I've found that stories usually flow much better and more naturally when you make it up as you go. That's how I always write my stories. I tend to keep notes and such handy to avoid contradictions and plot holes, though. Although, the lack of planning time probably made everything quite hectic and kept them from fixing any mistakes.
Still, it's amazing that they came up with such an unforgettable show in such a short amount of time when some series have plenty of time to plan and still suck. Major props to the creative team behind Simoun.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 02:53   Link #2005
fignae
floofer. floof.

Spoiler for episodes 25 and 26, from oneplusme's post, tangenting onwards:
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 06:11   Link #2006
jtrog

Ok the Eternal Madiens -
IE: ep 26 was long, the now male / female members grew familys, built up farms / businesses. It had various times that didn't fit timeline and at the end it showed them performing the manuver. Thats like what a year and a half after ep 25? Or is it just as Eternal Madiens those 2 only lived 5 to 15 minutes where every one elses time passed as several years?

I've been enjoying very much new ep 1 2 and 3. Have a question, where there any accidents you think of any one falling out of the tube the Maaju practice is done in?

I don't get a lot of things that are 'hidden', have to ask like the weird time line thing.
Now I wouldn't mind having a floeF avatar in forum...

yah, might have rewatched 26 9 times now /shrugh, the character interaction between them as 'adults' is cute as well.
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 08:11   Link #2007
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog
I've been enjoying very much new ep 1 2 and 3. Have a question, where there any accidents you think of any one falling out of the tube the Maaju practice is done in?
Not that we're made aware of. It's clearly a possibility, though (the pool is open at the bottom), and Mamiina tried to ensure Aaeru had just such an accident back in episode 7.
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 13:00   Link #2008
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog
Ok the Eternal Maidens
Spoiler for ep26:
I think we have to forget the flow of time in ep26. I think it jumps all over the place.
Spoiler for ep26:
By the way, I watched Simoun-Fans new version of ep3 last night, and found it so moving, now that I have seen the end of the story.
Spoiler for ep26:
Old 2006-09-29, 13:58   Link #2009
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Guys? Did you see the official site?
the Staff let a message like :

Simoun is not Finish!

are they talking about PS2 Game, Secret Project or ?
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 16:04   Link #2010
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Guys? Did you see the official site?
the Staff let a message like :

Simoun is not Finish!

are they talking about PS2 Game, Secret Project or ?
The site says they will start a talk series in the official website.
It is for reviews and side stories from the staff's view.
Oh, are they gonna reveal something hidden?
Also, a new poll for character popularity will be open in the staff blog soon.
It's good Bandai Visual seems to have an intention to unfold media mix and propaganda for Simoun in spite of its DVD sales.
At least, our thirst will be slaked for a while with Drama CD, manga, game and novel while I don't know if I can get them.

Quote:
The novel: Anyone know if this is this a pure adaptation of the anime, or is the story retold in a different way?
I haven't read it, but heard that its story is the same as the anime's except for slightly sensual scenes of DomiLimo and the sisters.
The 1st volume covered ep 1~9 with additional details.

Spoiler for the journey:
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 18:18   Link #2011
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
[spoiler] Well, all these feelings never struck me as particularly romantic. IIRC, at first Floe was mainly impressed by Aaeru's flying abilities, not being really in love with her or something. If there was anything romantic between them, Floe would probably have told Aaeru at least five times a day how much she loved her. Anyway, she denied having such feelings when Vyura asked her. spoiler]
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Dominura and Onashia:
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 22:56   Link #2012
sei

Some pics I found in 2chan
Spoiler:
sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 00:18   Link #2013
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara
It's good Bandai Visual seems to have an intention to unfold media mix and propaganda for Simoun in spite of its DVD sales.
DVD 2 has been out for a week now - any word on sales? 145san on 2ch is saying 1000-2000, but I don't know which volume/dates that covers.

Spoiler for ep25-26:

@sei: thanks for the images! And I like your sig, too.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-30 at 03:12.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 02:14   Link #2014
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

In the often interesting blog on her website, Morinaga Rika (Mamiina) talks about the wrap-up party for Simoun. She posted the item early Friday morning. Here's a rough translation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinaga Rika (Mamiina)
We’ve had Simoun’s wrap-up party. It was in a Hawaiian restaurant, complete with hula dancers in grass skirts. People were in high spirits.

Nishida Asako, the character designer, was there. She seemed a very interesting person, and easy to get along with. I’d love to talk with her more. [Morinaga-san uses “boku” for “I” throughout this piece.]

As the party started, the director had a tooootally heartbroken look on his face. I caught sight of him with that look again and again through the evening. “Please don’t look so sad,” I said to him. But a work must be such a beloved thing to a director, so I thought it must have been quite painful. Simoun had to have been made by an adult who had in him both the heart of a young man and the heart of a girl. It's really a work that shows the "hopes" you have when you are a child.

From all over the room you would hear “Para-sama would…," and “Aaeru’s…” -- people remembering the anime.

Ah! I’ve got a secret from the production. It was me who decided which music to use during Mamiina’s death scene (lol). The sound director, Tsujitani-sensei, couldn’t decide among three pieces. “Morinaga, as Mamiina, which would you choose?" he asked during the preparation. Something like that will never happen again…. So I chose the waltz.

The bright waltz playing as Mamiina dies is so good. She lived with pride and died sublimely. I thought it was not a time for something sad. Thank you, Tsujitani-sensei, for letting me choose. When I heard it on air, I couldn’t help just crying!

It’s a really good work. If you missed it, please be sure to see the DVD....
Later in the same blog item she mentions that she stopped at the salon after work the day she was writing (Thursday) and had her bright red hair toned down (?) to orange. Here's a photo of her in a previous incarnation.

Old 2006-09-30, 02:22   Link #2015
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Morning calm sea Ri Mājon

Now I 'll send All Sibyllae, now adult woman and the "Female to Male guys" who was a girl and sibylla....off to the future by the...

Ri Mājon of the Calm Morning Sea (朝凪, Asanagi)

An ancient Ri Mājon that is used by a choir to send off comrades.
Plumbum male commander knew the meanings because of Dominūra and Limone taught their Ancestors.

Like other diplomatic Ri Mājons, this has no known effect other than the flight pattern.

Probabely my fan-page URL's last renewal http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/simoun02-e1.htmas First season "Simoun"

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-09-30 at 08:35.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 03:14   Link #2016
Simon
気持ち悪い

@Yui: どうもありがとう

Old 2006-09-30, 05:23   Link #2017
Mephisto2k
anime4life

I loved vague and simi-open endings like Simoun has ended. They are allways so deep and nostalgic. Im totally satisfied with this show.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 08:21   Link #2018
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Spoiler for Aaeru and Floe's relationship:

Quote:
Oh well, I'm sure the fanfic authors will explore all the possibilities
Let's hope they will indeed, barring the most twisted and weird of possibilities, if possible.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 09:13   Link #2019
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Japanese Wiki style page renewal !!!

http://dempa.kitaa.net/simoun/wiki/?FrontPage

Wiki style encyclopedia page "Simoun Wiki" advanced renewal!!

Dominura,Limone,Anubituf,Gragief and ,more Plumbum ancient simoun sibylla girl at ep 26 "Hanna"(Sajitta) "Aila"(Auriga) more guest characters...

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-09-30 at 10:40.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 10:13   Link #2020
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Let's hope they will indeed, barring the most twisted and weird of possibilities, if possible.
Darn. Guess I'd better scrap that Wauf/Halconf fic then...
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri