AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-05-18, 17:51   Link #7241
The American Average
2LMES

I know Durandal was suspicious since day one, but I guess i never looked at it that way because of 2 reasons, 1. i always felt he was more of a "in the gray of good/evil guy" didn't know how to see him. 2. He's voiced by Shūichi Ikeda with his voice is awesome voice, since he was Char it made me wonder if Durandal's character development would be changed just because of who voiced him.
Old 2013-05-18, 17:56   Link #7242
monster

Why? Other than in Zeta, Char was a villain.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 17:58   Link #7243
The American Average
2LMES

Char was a villain but you could see what and he why he was doing it, Durandal just seemed like he was... evil
Old 2013-05-18, 18:05   Link #7244
monster

Just because you could see why Char did what he did doesn't make him any less evil.

And for what it's worth, I think Durandal's goal is quite self-explanatory.
Old 2013-05-18, 21:13   Link #7245
wredsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Just because you could see why Char did what he did doesn't make him any less evil.

And for what it's worth, I think Durandal's goal is quite self-explanatory.
Absolutely. Though I admired Casaval in Zeta, he in CCA destroyed some of my favourite cities ( thankfully only in fiction ). I can never forgive him for that. in Code Geass schnitzel had similar ideas, destroy most of mankind by destroying all highly populated cities.

I want do a thousand hit brutality on him and want to make million pieces out of him.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 23:34   Link #7246
Destined_Fate

Durandal's plan was pretty laid out there and I understand why he felt the need to use threat of force. It was simply put the fastest way to get the Destiny Plan to happen, by crushing those that opposed it and forcing it down their throats until they either liked it or didn't see much gain from fighting against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
Absolutely. Though I admired Casaval in Zeta, he in CCA destroyed some of my favourite cities ( thankfully only in fiction ). I can never forgive him for that. in Code Geass schnitzel had similar ideas, destroy most of mankind by destroying all highly populated cities.

I want do a thousand hit brutality on him and want to make million pieces out of him.
Though the sad thing is that while Char does get called out for doing that stuff Schnieziel never did... And people actually sided with him against Lelouch.

Because...

Their feelings were hurt.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:11   Link #7247
VTHokiePride

Durandal had an ideal that he was willing to fight for and many people agreed with him which led to members from the Earth Forces to also join him in his fight.

Sorry to interrupt on the current discussion, but I'm looking to buy the boxed sets for Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Does anyone have any recommendations? So far the Anime Legends set seems the way to go.
Old 2013-05-19, 01:54   Link #7248
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
Sorry to interrupt on the current discussion, but I'm looking to buy the boxed sets for Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Does anyone have any recommendations? So far the Anime Legends set seems the way to go.
Just go with the Anime Legends, less cases to deal with

heres amazon just for example
http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Seed-De...ds=Gundam+seed

Destiny Box sets are very good they are thin (like the size of a normal DVD and they're not cheap feeling or flimsy) So they wont take up too much space on your DVD shelf, there are 2 sets and all the discs come out nice and easy don't have to worry about breaking them. Picture and sound are fine what you'd expect from a DVD. Just remember that there is an OVA expanding the ending of Destiny, the Real ending of the DVD's sucks, so you're gonna have to buy the Final Plus OVA. Its not much money and the ending is much better than the Series DVD ending.

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Seed-De...bxgy_mov_img_z
-
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gu...ds=Gundam+seed

Now With the Seed Box sets i'm gonna tell you to run away as far as you can. I bought 3 different copies from 3 different stores and all of them had crappy DVD quality meaning if you push them wrong when trying to get them out of the case the Discs will break in half, this happened to me every time i tried to buy a new one. the other bad part was the quality of the picture itself wasn't all that good, there was times my perfectly fine DVD player couldn't read several of the discs, some worked however but some only one ore two episodes would work. the Boxsets are thicker than the Destiny sets however they're no bigger than any other Boxset. (ex. Cowboy Bebop complete) So the size isn't a problem. The Covers of Seed look Cooler than the Destiny DVD Covers. But personally with the poor DVDs i got i just went with the 3 movie collection no problems what so ever with them.

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-05-19 at 02:21.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 06:54   Link #7249
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Though the sad thing is that while Char does get called out for doing that stuff Schnieziel never did... And people actually sided with him against Lelouch.

Because...

Their feelings were hurt.
Schnieziel's plan was actually a secret. Nobody else knew he planned on using Damocles for that aside from Diethard Nunnally and what's his face. And Cornelia but she objected and he shot her for it. Everyone else thought it was just a weapon to be used against Lelouch (who was doing pretty evil stuff admittedly) And since it never got off the ground anyway and he became a brainwashed slave there was no point in calling him out.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 09:46   Link #7250
S.Freedom

It still doesn't negate the fact that aside from Kallen the rest of the Black Knights high command where morons for trusting a single word out of Schnieziels mouth. Because like D_F said, they did so because their feelings where hurt.

Anyway, back to what this thread is supposed to be about.

Anyone else hoping we get to see Riika's MS during the EA's attack on the PLANTS the same way we saw Heine's?

Or that Heine's character gets fleshed out a bit more than it was originally?
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:02   Link #7251
wredsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
It still doesn't negate the fact that aside from Kallen the rest of the Black Knights high command where morons for trusting a single word out of Schnieziels mouth. Because like D_F said, they did so because their feelings where hurt.

Anyway, back to what this thread is supposed to be about.

Anyone else hoping we get to see Riika's MS during the EA's attack on the PLANTS the same way we saw Heine's?

Or that Heine's character gets fleshed out a bit more than it was originally?
TM Revolution is very expensive. I dont think they would want to pour more money onto him.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:07   Link #7252
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
TM Revolution is very expensive. I dont think they would want to pour more money onto him.
as long as he shut his mouth= cheap
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 17:24   Link #7253
S.Freedom

Who said speaking equaled character development?

I was thinking more along the lines of a flashback that gave more detail to Heine's backstory. Like what he did during the first war to earn membership in FAITH. And seriously how much would it cost to get him in the studio for a half hours worth of dialogue?
Old 2013-05-19, 18:01   Link #7254
monster

Quote:
And seriously how much would it cost to get him in the studio for a half hours worth of dialogue?
A half hour's worth of dialog could take more than that to actually record and would also depend on availability of the actor. It might be more than their given budget for a remaster.
Old 2013-05-19, 21:24   Link #7255
Aquaman OS

I don't think it's the pay. T.M. Revolution probably did for cheap, on the conditions that the show was promoting his music, and he loves Gundam (him doing a tribute to Ramba Ral was apparantly his idea)

It's just the time. He's a full time musican, constantly performing touring, making appearances on talk shows etc. Having him go down to the studio even for 30 minutes is just not worth it. Heine is a glorified cameo, there to promote TM's music. Neither he, nor the staff really care about his backstory. It's not important to them.
Old 2013-05-19, 21:45   Link #7256
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

S.Freedom:

Why do you want Heine to have more dialog? His character had a purpose, a very simple one: kickstart Athrun's "development" in the 2nd half of Destiny. So it makes sence for him to be a flat character.. If you try to flash out every single character who is, in this case, not even part of the main plot, you'll end up polluting the script and you'll lose overall direction. It's important to keep characters like Heine simple and flat so that you don't slow down the pacing of the story.

This is in my opinion one of the few things that Fukuda did get right in Destiny, So I hope Heine's characters doesn't change.

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2013-05-19 at 22:37.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 22:45   Link #7257
S.Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
A half hour's worth of dialog could take more than that to actually record and would also depend on availability of the actor. It might be more than their given budget for a remaster.
Well I meant a half hour of recording period. So we get say 8-12 minutes of actual dialog on screen. I probably could've worded that better honestly.

@kaito-kid So we understand why Athrun gives a damn about him more than nameless schmuck #5. I mean Heine's death was the primary reason Athrun confronted Kira not schmuck #5 who died because of Kira hitting the Taunhauser.
Old 2013-05-19, 23:12   Link #7258
monster

Quote:
So we understand why Athrun gives a damn about him more than nameless schmuck #5. I mean Heine's death was the primary reason Athrun confronted Kira not schmuck #5 who died because of Kira hitting the Taunhauser.
Actually, Athrun was trying to communicate with Kira even before Heine's death, but somehow, he wasn't able to find the Freedom's frequency until their next meeting in battle.

Beside, "a flashback that gave more detail to Heine's backstory, like what he did during the first war to earn membership in FAITH," doesn't really have anything to do with Athrun as Athrun likely didn't know much about him either.

If Athrun cared about Heine more than some other unknown ZAFT soldier, it would only be because they're fellow pilots who was on the same team and had actually talked to each other. Heine's past most likely did not factor into it.
Old 2013-05-19, 23:21   Link #7259
Aquaman OS

Because Heine had a nice chat with Athrun, and seemed to be sympathetic to his plight about conflicted feelings and not wanting to fight Orb. Athrun likely never talked to the 8 redshirts that died when Kira blew up the tanhauser, and more importantly Heine was the only person on the Minerva that seemed to "get" Athrun.

Shinn of course never really seemed to like Athrun much once he returned for some reason (even though Shinn prompted him to say in the first place) and was of the opinion that anyone not in Zaft deserved painful death, so Athrun's Clyne Faction morals just confused him as best and angered him at worse. He might have also seen Athrun as threat since Athrun returned right after Shinn's first Seed mode induced beatdown that impressed everyone and it started going to Shinn's head, and then Athrun showed up and stole his thunder.

Rey said a few polite words before going back to the shadows to watch Athrun to judge if he was going to be a threat to their plan or not.

Luna was in a total fangirl delusion, and much like Meer, showed she didn't really understand the real Athrun Zala at all.

Meyrin apparantly did understand him, but avoided him for the most part until she suddenly opted to help him escape.

Talia was all business with him, and seemed less concerned about Athrun himself and more with what Durandal was doing.

Arthur and everyone else didn't really want anything to do with him.

Admittedly Athrun made a poor attempt at trying to connect with them too, since he realized almost immediately he didn't really want to be there in the first place, but Heine actually approached him to talk more than once.

So that's why Athrun was attached to Heine. Because when he was conflicted and had difficulty communicating with the Minerva crew and felt unwelcome, Heine reached out to him. If Heine wasn't there Athrun probably would have quit Zaft and returned to AA when Kira first offered in episode 25.

Going into Heine's backstory wouldn't matter. All it really would be is just him fighting EA, and would be irrelevant to his relationship with Athrun because they didn't know each other before Heine was stationed on Minerva.
Old 2013-05-20, 00:22   Link #7260
The American Average
2LMES

Maybe Athrun also saw a real potential friendship with Heine, they hardly talk but i'd bet Athrun thought with some more time they could have been the best of Buds. As you said no one on the Minerva took him as seriously, as they did on the AA. After Heine dies it really was a rough road for Athrun.

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep