AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-05-12, 01:03   Link #3461
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
In a date, it’s natural for the guy to pay for the expenses. But what is an omnipotent tsundere to do? Haruhi clearly likes Kyon but would not acknowledge it, and showing or even thinking affection is too much on her pride. So they do go out, and the guy does pay, but it’s a group activity and the guy’s always inappropriately late. Well please note that after the Kiss it did become a proper date.
This comes up in my mind as well.

Whether anyone like it or not, a female letting the male pay when they go out is a signal that this is a proper date.(or at least, there is a possibility of a proper date in the future)
While if she insist on splitting the bill it is a way of saying "that's what friends do". Social interaction has some strange rules that came about by themselves, and that is one of them.
Old 2010-05-12, 01:36   Link #3462
dnab
anime berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
James Bond is not chosen for the mission, because it was predetermined that James Bond didn't go.
Although the Predetermined Events are written many times with infallible accuracies, I have the feeling that Tanigawa will eventually write out of one. Because there's something inherently tragic about fate/preordained-future/one-track-time, and Haruhi isn't that tone of book. {It worked well for Evangelion; the Dead Sea Scroll kind of made that series all the bit more depressing.}

But I do agree that the Present is the Past for the Future, and Mikuru is their agent because her history book says so. [Imagine her time domain's elder shaking his head; their entire existence depends on this air head and not, say, James Bond.]
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 03:41   Link #3463
ijuinkun

Of course, what does Haruhi do when Kyon is completely broke, other than yell at him for not having any money? ^_^
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 03:54   Link #3464
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Although the Predetermined Events are written many times with infallible accuracies, I have the feeling that Tanigawa will eventually write out of one. Because there's something inherently tragic about fate/preordained-future/one-track-time, and Haruhi isn't that tone of book. {It worked well for Evangelion; the Dead Sea Scroll kind of made that series all the bit more depressing.}

But I do agree that the Present is the Past for the Future, and Mikuru is their agent because her history book says so. [Imagine her time domain's elder shaking his head; their entire existence depends on this air head and not, say, James Bond.]
As I have repeatedly suggested in this forum over the last few years, I strongly believe at least one of the enemy factions from the future decided they are willing to risk annihilation than to allow time travel to exist. Consider the true origins of time travel, it makes perfect sense to me why the anti-SOS-dan is doing something to the benefit of that goal.

I do sympathise with them. But I will not agree with their methods. There are better ways.

p.s. Haruhi is immune from pre-destined futures. We know that, because she has at least changed the future once (then changed it back), at the end of the Melancholy arc. There is also the interesting situation in Endless Eight where multiple versions of the same summer holiday occurred, each with variations.

The future can be changed. Mikuru certainly believes that. They put a lot of safeguards to prevent such a possibility from occurring. But as someone from the future, she views it as a horrible thing instead of a hopeful one. It's as the Disappearance Itsuki said; if he is in an altered world, he is worried about what happens to him when the world is "fixed".

It is not so bad when you know an alternate "you" still exist in the world after a change takes place. But what if you live far in the future? Where for all intent and purposes, there is no chance of you being born at all if the past changes? That's a legitimate complaint. And one with no easy answers.
Old 2010-05-12, 15:00   Link #3465
dnab
anime berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Of course, what does Haruhi do when Kyon is completely broke, other than yell at him for not having any money? ^_^
Though he grumbles, I'm sure these expenses fall within Kyon's spending ability. Why allow him to save up for a lousy video game when he can make offerings to the Goddess(es)?

In another case of Her Will Be Done, wallet saving cash would come to Kyon should there be an unexpectedly large party (the bat, after baseball).
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:14   Link #3466
Tabasco

Quote:
Though he grumbles, I'm sure these expenses fall within Kyon's spending ability. Why allow him to save up for a lousy video game when he can make offerings to the Goddess(es)?

In another case of Her Will Be Done, wallet saving cash would come to Kyon should there be an unexpectedly large party (the bat, after baseball).
But Yuki never asks him for anything...

Probably true all the same though. Haruhi doesn't make him suffer intentionally, just by way of collateral damage.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:23   Link #3467
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
But Yuki never asks him for anything...

Probably true all the same though. Haruhi doesn't make him suffer intentionally, just by way of collateral damage.
If Kyon ever did fall into serious money troubles he could always sell his soul to Koizumi's Organization. I hear they pay ludicrous amounts and have easy hours.
Old 2010-05-15, 03:50   Link #3468
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fourth Coming of Haruhi
The June issue of Kadokawa Shoten's The Sneaker magazine is confirming on Friday that the Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko imprint plans to publish Nagaru Tanigawa's Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyōgaku (The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya) light novel this year. This 10th Haruhi Suzumiya light novel volume will be the first new one in three years. The same issue of The Sneaker is publishing an excerpt from the volume.

In a message in The Sneaker issue, Tanigawa reports that he has completed 75% to 80% of the novel. So far, he has written 370 pages in the novel's current draft; 400 characters can be written on each page of Japanese-style composition paper.
Ref: ANN
Old 2010-05-15, 21:43   Link #3469
Tabasco

So a December 2010 release possibly? Works for me!
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 01:38   Link #3470
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fourth Coming of Haruhi
The June issue of Kadokawa Shoten's The Sneaker magazine is confirming on Friday that the Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko imprint plans to publish Nagaru Tanigawa's Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyōgaku (The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya) light novel this year. This 10th Haruhi Suzumiya light novel volume will be the first new one in three years. The same issue of The Sneaker is publishing an excerpt from the volume.

In a message in The Sneaker issue, Tanigawa reports that he has completed 75% to 80% of the novel. So far, he has written 370 pages in the novel's current draft; 400 characters can be written on each page of Japanese-style composition paper.
Ref: ANN
Old news. Pretty sure we knew that before cnet128 even translated it.

I still think the 75%-80% bit is BS, though. If it wasn't, no way would we be getting the novel this year. That's just not how books are done. Even if that's what they're officially stating, it doesn't mean it isn't a load of crap, especially considering it's Kadokawa we're hearing it from.
Old 2010-05-16, 02:25   Link #3471
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Considering that Tanigawa-sama had a 3 year hiatus... yeah I guess you're right...
Old 2010-05-16, 08:44   Link #3472
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Old news. Pretty sure we knew that before cnet128 even translated it.

I still think the 75%-80% bit is BS, though. If it wasn't, no way would we be getting the novel this year. That's just not how books are done. Even if that's what they're officially stating, it doesn't mean it isn't a load of crap, especially considering it's Kadokawa we're hearing it from.
I am prepared to believe in, if only because the 2nd half of any story is always easier to write than the first half. It is faster to write something when you know how it is going to end.
Old 2010-05-16, 10:53   Link #3473
Blayne Barudorii

Wasn't that the novel was mostly done and the remaining work is just editing and cleanup?
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 14:30   Link #3474
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

I'm not quite sure where this might go, but apparently this message was left on the Japanese Haruhi website:

Old 2010-05-18, 14:35   Link #3475
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

What does it say? I suspect something bad.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 15:23   Link #3476
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Last year due around April 4th were applications on the website for "temporary SOS Brigade" membership. It closed and on the website today that notice was posted telling that the membership cards have been posted for those selected. Haruhi apologizes that they have been so late in getting them out, but expect them to arrive in the middle of this month if you are a lucky one chosen.

I've seen a couple of them on 2ch throughout the past 36 hours. It's nothing really fancy from what I've seen.

I suppose this would fit in this thread since Kadokawa publishing is issuing the cards.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 21:16   Link #3477
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Here's the text of the letter. It's pretty coherent using Google Translate. Even more so using Rikaikun.
Spoiler for size:
Old 2010-05-19, 02:58   Link #3478
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet128 View Post

The "Data Integration Consciousness" one, I feel much more strongly about. "Shinentai" just sounds to me like it's begging to be translated as "consciousness". And rendering it as "Thought Entity" (which I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, is the most common version?) just makes the full name sound like a bit of a mess. "Data Integration Thought Entity" just sounds like a jumble of words. "Data Integration Consciousness" sounds like the original Japanese does - a consciousness that integrates data. (And besides, there are so many different versions of that particular term out there that it's not like there was one definite accepted version for me to use in the first place. ~~)

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it a little more, I'm starting to feel like "Integrated Data Consciousness" would be closer still to the original. Dammit. I'll have to make a call on that one later. But the "consciousness" part, I know I'm sticking with! >_<
Spoiler for FYI, the Season 2 OP shows in english "Data Integrated Thought Entity":

Make of that what you will. =3
Old 2010-05-24, 13:59   Link #3479
MichaelP

I just started the first novel, after seeing all of the anime, and I'm starting to wonder if Kyon isn't as normal as he says he is. Haruhi is supposed to be omnipotent, without realizing it, but what if Kyon has power and doesn't realize it? He says he doesn't like being dragged around by Haruhi, but he was disappointed with the mundane world at the beginning of the story, and Haruhi conveniently fixed that problem and Kyon doesn't try to escape. Kyon is also coincidentally the only supposedly normal person Haruhi takes much interest in, though she doesn't know that the others aren't normal.
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 15:40   Link #3480
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
I just started the first novel, after seeing all of the anime, and I'm starting to wonder if Kyon isn't as normal as he says he is. Haruhi is supposed to be omnipotent, without realizing it, but what if Kyon has power and doesn't realize it? He says he doesn't like being dragged around by Haruhi, but he was disappointed with the mundane world at the beginning of the story, and Haruhi conveniently fixed that problem and Kyon doesn't try to escape. Kyon is also coincidentally the only supposedly normal person Haruhi takes much interest in, though she doesn't know that the others aren't normal.
This is one of the most recurring tin foil hat theories the series has. Some say that Kyon is actually the one with omnipotent powers, but passed them onto Haruhi for whatever reason.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga