AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-29, 23:59   Link #21
Kakashi Sensei
LstSrvvngSskeFnGrl

Hm... I would recommend Wolf's Rain. It's not cutesey or anything. It's about the end of the world coming. Wolves are nearly extinct, but some of their species remain. You follow the tale of Kiba, the last of his pack to survive, along with three other characters.

Not such a 'great' story, but it's pretty easy to follow, and I found it worthwhile.

It's also pretty pyscological. You might want to give it a try.
Old 2003-12-30, 22:16   Link #22
guynextdoor
arcueid !! ^^

u want intelligent stuff then u must go for Evangelion (movie included) and Rahxephon. albeit both are quite similar but each has its good points
Old 2003-12-30, 23:03   Link #23
brood-faun

I am surprised no one mention ( or I missed it):

-Now and Then , Here and There
-Vision of Escaflowne
-Crest/Banner of the Stars
Old 2004-01-03, 12:21   Link #24
gho
anime fan

Send a message via AIM to gho Send a message via Yahoo to gho
Kousetsu hyaku monogatari

I recently saw kousetsu hyaku monogatari a.k.a. Hundred Stories and I must say that this is an anime worthy of this thread. I am saying this not really because it will wear-out the viewer's capacity to understand the story but because it is a great journey into japanese folklore and terror tales. I am a great fan of horror stories and it's sub genres like the very beginning in middle-age where the were nothing but allusions to it, passing by Edgar Allan Poe, Lovecraft...till the movie "The Ring" which display a more recent adaptation of the genre to our time and costumes... and that's because I say that this anime is a must!
Old 2004-01-03, 12:25   Link #25
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Juuni Kokki but its licensed though.
Old 2004-01-03, 12:39   Link #26
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Gits:Sac 2nd gig. Badass. If I wasn't lazy I would post some highlight pics of the episodes but. I'm lazy and don't know if anyone wants o see so therefore I won't. But if your interested let me know.
Old 2004-01-03, 23:33   Link #27
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

A few I think fit the description:

Licensed:
Berserk
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars I & II
Twelve Kingdom
Now and Then, Here and There
Ash Wing
Heroic Legend of Arslan
Master Keaton

Unlicensed:
Twin Spica
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Human Scramble
Hundred Stories
Scrapped Princess

Grifis
Old 2004-01-04, 13:02   Link #28
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Crest of the Stars aka Seikai no Monshu
Banner of the Stars aka Seikai no Senki
Banner of the Stars 2 aka Seikai no Senki 2
Birth of the Stars OVA aka Seikai no Tanjou
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wings of Honmaise ( one of the greatest GAINAX anime ever)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planet Es
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kino no Tabi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2004-01-05, 19:24   Link #29
cookiemonster69
Former Pres. of GTO

if u like love hina wich i do too...^_^...dan go for onegai teacher and onegai twins...although i think onegai teacher is liscenced..??

AND OF COURSE GTO!!...*cough*...liscenced....
GTO is bout this weird gang-ish person dat tries to be a teacher...sumhow his teaching strategies work very successfully on the deliquents and bullies..lol....trust me...reli funny!!
Old 2004-01-05, 22:27   Link #30
Gandalf on Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster69
if u like love hina wich i do too...^_^...dan go for onegai teacher and onegai twins...although i think onegai teacher is liscenced..??

AND OF COURSE GTO!!...*cough*...liscenced....
GTO is bout this weird gang-ish person dat tries to be a teacher...sumhow his teaching strategies work very successfully on the deliquents and bullies..lol....trust me...reli funny!!

That whole post was a joke...right?
Can't beleive someone would post something like that..anyways:

Look into
Crest of the Stars
The Twelve Kingdoms (Junki Kokki, i think..)
Wolf's Rain

I know there's many more but can't think of them offhand, but you should enjoy those ones quite thoroughly.
Old 2004-01-07, 00:13   Link #31
Nukeler
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
Face it nothing will be as good as Cowboy Bebop. Wait a minute.... what do you mean by "his brother"? Do you mean Vicious? If you do mean Vicious then they aren't brothers. Spike was a mentor to Vicious. Or am I wrong...... if thats the case I have to sit on my ass all day tomorrow and watch every episode of the series. Which I really wont mind too much. As for more suggestions I would go with Gunslinger Girl and maybe Full Metal Alchemist. FMA is just good. Not really "an intelligent (You misspelled intelligent by the way ) themed Anime" but its has a good storyline. I hope you enjoy them.
From what i remeber their orgins were sort of unknow, but spike dose refer to vicious as his brother. I think they are bothers in the sense they were made in the same way and they grew up as brothers but there wasnt a definate blood brother connection.

As for good anime: metal alchemist, haibane hemnei, now and then here and there was awesome if u havent seen it you should, also bubble gum crisis 2040

I dont know what youve watched so most of these will prob be redundant

Edit: omg i cant belive i forgot crest of the stars.... stupid... great anime absolutly loved it kindo stashing it away for a rainty day lol ive only seen season 1
Old 2004-01-07, 17:12   Link #32
the_morbidus

well i guess you should try inuyasha, hunter x hunter, outlaw star and trigun, all pretty good!!!!!!

btw does anyone know how many episodes there are in inuyasha?? i have 129 episodes but i've seen 130~136, does anyone know if the anime has finished yet??? i know the 3rd movie came out last december in japan so does anyone can help me here???
Old 2004-01-22, 09:45   Link #33
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_morbidus
well i guess you should try inuyasha, hunter x hunter, outlaw star and trigun, all pretty good!!!!!!

btw does anyone know how many episodes there are in inuyasha?? i have 129 episodes but i've seen 130~136, does anyone know if the anime has finished yet??? i know the 3rd movie came out last december in japan so does anyone can help me here???
Have you actually read this thread? I'm pretty they're the total opposite of what he's looking for.

They're pretty good in their genre, but obviously not what he's looking for. I'm saying this even though I like those shows (well HxH, Outlaw Star and Trigun anyway) but then again I like the whole shounen fighting sub-genre.

And no, Inu Yasha is not finished and looks like it will go on forever. (Oh, the horror...)
Old 2004-01-22, 10:34   Link #34
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
Watch the first 3 of Narutaru. Its a mistake to stop at the first eps.
It gets dark real fast. Hope you enjoy it.
*Translates for his god*
It gets really weird fast, soon making up for the painful voicing.

My main response to you though, thats quite a bit of stuff. Anime isn't like 5 cent gum or something. Stuff for your sort of tastes only come around once in a while..and when i say while, i mean years.

So, with that in mind... Do something else...like um, draw your dream manga or something O.o.
Old 2004-01-22, 12:14   Link #35
Lambda

Some very obvious choices that don't seem to have been mentioned yet:
Key, the Metal Idol,
Princess Tutu,
Revolutionary Girl Utena,
Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs. (The TV series isn't bad, but it's nothing compared to the OVAs.)

It's also probably worth suggesting Angel's Egg, though being completely an art film I'm not sure if it's in the target area or not.

Last edited by Lambda; 2004-01-22 at 13:58.
Old 2004-01-22, 13:27   Link #36
noZ
mr. dingdong

Send a message via ICQ to noZ
k, then if you want great storylines, then watch GetBackers....i highly reccomend this anime...
also, full metal alchemist is very good. awesome story, a bit complicated (dunno if an1 else suggested these)
and the graphics are also stunning....
and no matter what you watch...dont ever watch initial D...that is the dumbest anime to ever be released...
i ihjly reccomend the two animes above...
Old 2004-01-22, 14:01   Link #37
Lambda

As far as I've been able to determine, GetBackers is a fairly standard shonen title. Doesn't really match the request of this thread.
Old 2004-01-22, 14:23   Link #38
squonjon
わからなくなる

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Revolutionary Girl Utena
*nod, nod*

not forgetting Adolescence Apocalypse (RTU: The Movie). that's simply sublime. more symbolism than you can shake two sticks at

nekojiru-sou (cat soup) is certainly interesting, and possibly the least cheery thing you'll ever see. plus it's got great credits...
also - Alien Nine. It's similar to Narutaru in content, but far more subtle.
i feel it's only right to suggest Niea_7, the often overlooked series from the same designer who did Lain, Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze (Yoshitoshi ABe). It's not very similar to the others (as a deliberately poor comedy), but does complete the set, and has an terrible melancholy all of its own.

as a final note: Kokoro Library. Everyone else in the world might disagree, but for some reason i'm convinced it's far more intelligent than it makes out to be...
Old 2004-01-22, 14:30   Link #39
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Ok! as most of you are aware of I'm a push over for romance anime. I have to say a very close friend recommended Hajime no Ippo OMG! Awsome story line, its about boxing. I thought I wouldn't like it really but I fell in love with the character (Ippo) he's so loveable. You just can't help but love this anime you'll find yourself cheering him on!!! (one those make you feel good stories!) They explain each segment near the end. Lots of action, comedy, and a little romance in between . This anime is licensed of course but do buy it or rent it! I'm still watching it btw.....and I'm totally hooked!!!! Wonderful plot, a must see!
Old 2004-01-22, 14:34   Link #40
sothis

Quote:
As far as I've been able to determine, GetBackers is a fairly standard shonen title. Doesn't really match the request of this thread.
as far as the "doesnt match the request of this thread" thing, i would have to say the same thing about VPM. the tv series at least goes into a little more depth (but completely sucks), whereas the OVAs have an extremely loose, episodic, generic storyline with 2-dimensional characters.
Closed Thread