AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-18, 23:09   Link #3641
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

Forget drug tests, I'm starting to have serious doubts as to whether hes human or not .. 9:5?!?! Unbelievable!
Old 2009-08-19, 01:27   Link #3642
Saleh
Inactive

North Korea, less frosty, sends Kim Dae-jung condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Wednesday leader Kim Jong-il had sent condolences on the death of former South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, the latest sign of a possible easing in the chill between the rival Koreas.

Kim Dae-jung died on Tuesday at the age of 85. An extraordinary figure in South Korea's shift to democracy, he won the Nobel Peace Prize for a June 2000 summit with Kim Jong-il and efforts at reconciliation with the prickly North.

"Though he passed away to our regret, the feats he performed to achieve national reconciliation and realize the desire for reunification will remain long with the nation," North Korea's KCNA news agency quoted the message as saying.

KCNA also issued a separate single-line dispatch saying that Kim Dae-jung had died.

Analysts said Kim's death could help improve ties between the Koreas, which have soured since President Lee Myung-bak took power in the South about 18 months ago and angered the impoverished North by cutting off a steady flow of aid it had seen since the 2000 summit.

Kim Dae-jung "meant something to them and North Korea is likely to react and move in light of this news," Koh Yu-hwan of Dongguk University in Seoul said on Tuesday.

Yang Moo-jin of University of North Korean Studies said Pyongyang will likely send a delegation that could "turn around recent hardened conditions between North and South Korea."

North Korean ruler Kim met the then-South Korean president at the airport when he arrived in June 2000 in Pyongyang for what was the first meeting of the leaders of the Koreas that are technically still at war.

Lower House races begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Japan Times
The campaign for the Aug. 30 Lower House election officially kicked off Tuesday. The election results will have a great impact on the course of Japan's future because there is a chance that the Liberal Democratic Party's domination of Japanese politics may end. The election represents a chance for voters to render a decisive verdict on the performance of the coalition of the LDP and Komeito.

After the September 2005 election, which handed the LDP a landslide victory, three LDP leaders became prime ministers without receiving a voter mandate. Prime Minister Taro Aso has made many flip-flops on important policy and political matters. Under the retrenchment policy inherited from the Koizumi administration, the nation's social security, including medical services and support for the socially needy, has deteriorated.

Thanks to the ruling coalition's spending on economic stimulus packages, the economy does show signs of recovery. But it is uncertain whether any recovery can be sustained for long. Voters will have to carefully consider these matters before voting.

The Democratic Party of Japan, the No. 1 opposition party, is calling for a change of government to give Japan a fresh start. Its program, aimed at enabling politicians to take the initiative from the hands of bureaucrats in developing policy, includes establishing a national strategy bureau under the auspices of the prime minister and sending more than 100 politicians into government ministries and agencies
In North Korea, Clinton Helped Unveil a Mystery
Australia clinches $50bn China gas deal
Japan to send ex-lower house speaker Kono to Kim Dae Jung's funeral
California to get $1.5-billion loan from JPMorgan Chase
Old 2009-08-19, 02:34   Link #3643
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
you know
usually israel tends to get lots of bad press
some justified, but a considerable amount of it less then so
and yet any attempt to point out that there is a very large bias against israel in international press tends to get waved off as nonsense
but every once in a while, you get a gem like this one
incidentally, this paper is the largest daily newspaper in Nordic countries

Quote:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...763958,00.html
Swedish daily: IDF killed Palestinians for organs
Article published by Aftonbladet reporter claims soldiers snatched Palestinian youths and returned their dismembered bodies a few days later

Leading Swedish daily Aftonbladet claimed in one of its articles that IDF soldiers killed Palestinians in order to trade in their organs.

On Tuesday the Israeli Foreign Ministry responded by saying that the article "is a shocking example of Israel's demonization." According to the ministry, the Stockholm-based paper accused the Israeli army of organ theft.

The report mentioned Brooklyn resident Levy Izhak Rosenbaum, who is accused of involvement in the recent human organ-trafficking case that caused a storm in the US and Israel. The report said Palestinians claim youngsters were forced to give up theirs before being executed. This suspicion, the report said, may lead to an international war crimes investigation against Israel.

The report went on to say that about half of all kidneys used in transplants in Israel since 2000 were purchased illegally in Turkey, Eastern Europe and Latin America, adding that the Israeli Health Ministry was aware of the phenomenon but did nothing to curb it.

Aftonbladet also said Palestinian youths who were snatched from their villages in the middle of the night were buried after being dismembered. The reporter, Donald Boström, said he was informed of the alleged atrocities by UN employees while he was working on a book in the West Bank.

According to Bostrom, a Palestinian from Nablus who for a number of years headed stone-throwing attacks against IDF soldiers was shot to death in May because he interfered with the activity of the "Israeli conquering forces."

The reporter quoted Palestinian witnesses as saying that Bilal Ahmad Ranian was shot in the chest, leg and stomach and then evacuated in serious condition by helicopter to an unknown location.
personally i find it odd that they left out the part about israeli's kidnapping Palestinian babies for the making of matza ball soup

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-08-19 at 03:17.
Old 2009-08-19, 03:37   Link #3644
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
you know
usually israel tends to get lots of bad press
some justified, but a considerable amount of it less then so
and yet any attempt to point out that there is a very large bias against israel in international press tends to get waved off as nonsense
but every once in a while, you get a gem like this one
incidentally, this paper is the largest daily newspaper in Nordic countries

personally i find it odd that they left out the part about israeli's kidnapping Palestinian babies for the making of matza ball soup
Well..

It just happens that there are countries who kill non-combatant civilians for their organs, while others go for their valuables such as oil pumping. I know why you are angry as that it appears many people seem to have an anti-Semistic tendency but it is also caused by the frequent military conflicts between Israel and the Palestinians. The fact that the Palestinians are fighting all by themselves, overwhelmed by advanced technology and heavy artillery whereas Israel is backed by both China and the United States along with many other nations caused that "tendency" to increased more than usual.

Of course, I cannot say whether the IDF truly killed non-combatant civilians for their organs or not as that I have never been to the location of chaos and neither have I witnessed such actions myself. However, you cannot dismiss the fact that the appearance of smoke is usually caused by that of fire. Of course, it could also be people tossing smoke bombs but who knows..
Old 2009-08-19, 08:57   Link #3645
Shadow Kira01

Afghanistan Tries to Assure Voters About Adequate Security on Election Day

Quote:
If too many voters are scared away, that could jeopardize the legitimacy of the election, which is already confronting allegations of wholesale vote buying.
It seems that the Talibans are wrecking havoc over in Kabul as the election draws near. Apparently, it seems that this election isn't entirely democratic. There seems to be two side to the story. One is that if it is truly a free election, there is a chance that the Talibans will win a majority to rule the government. At the same time, the Talibans are also known to be threatening voters on the issue of inked fingers as that all voters will have a mark on their inked finger for the next 3 days after casting their votes. For that matter, it does seem like Afghanistan is in for some real trouble this week or the next.
Old 2009-08-19, 09:53   Link #3646
LynnieS

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are on Beijing's worst polluters list

Quote:
BEIJING (AFP) – The Beijing plants of US soft drink giants Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have been listed as among the top 12 factories causing major water pollution in China's capital, the city government has announced.
Seriously? Are they dumping raw sewage, untreated water and etc. into the sewer system or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
It just happens that there are countries who kill non-combatant civilians for their organs, while others go for their valuables such as oil pumping.
I'm guessing that the "countries who kill [...] civilians for their organs" bit are those war-torn ones in, say, Africa? Israel... Odds of that happening are pretty small, IMHO. I can see their using WP-based or nuclear (assuming, of course, that the country "fesses" up ) weapons in battle if pushed, but harvesting organs is risky. I see this story being more along the lines of the Big Lie, to be honest. Sensationalistic stories sell in journalism... unfortunately.

Edit: Eh? Was that an earthquake that I just felt? The wall... creaked.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-08-19 at 10:09.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:19   Link #3647
james0246

Don Hewitt, Creator of ‘60 Minutes,’ Dies at 86

Quote:
Don Hewitt, who changed the course of broadcast news by creating the television magazine “60 Minutes,” fusing journalism and show business as never before, and who then presided over the much-copied program for nearly four decades, died Wednesday at his home in Bridgehampton, N.Y. He was 86 and also had a home on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
During a career at CBS News that lasted more than half a century, Mr. Hewitt served as a living bridge — from the birth of television journalism in the long shadow of radio, through its golden-age as an unrivaled fixture in dens and family rooms, to its middle-age present, under siege from the Internet. As a director and producer, Mr. Hewitt helped shape the early broadcasts of pioneers like Edward R. Murrow, Douglas Edwards and Walter Cronkite, and presided over CBS’s coverage of such watershed moments as the presidential debate between Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy in 1960; the assassination of Mr. Kennedy in 1963; and the NASA space missions of the late 1960’s

But it was as creator and executive producer of “60 Minutes” that he had his biggest impact — imagining, in effect, what an electronic version of “Life” magazine would be like, and then bringing that confection to the screen with a mix of hard-hitting investigative pieces and celebrity profiles. As tour guides, Mr. Hewitt recruited a cast of reporters that included Mike Wallace and Dan Rather, and later Lesley Stahl, who were soon as recognizable as the politicians they confronted and the entertainers they interviewed. Whatever their line-up in a particular television season, they were presented to their Sunday night audience as equals.

Within a few years, “60 Minutes” had achieved something that had heretofore been the province of comedies like those featuring Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball, as opposed to news programs: it became a ratings juggernaut, taking up residence among the top 10 shows on prime-time television for more than two decades, and earning the network “maybe $2 billion,” Mr. Hewitt once estimated. At its peak, in the 1979-1980 television season, it was seen in an estimated 28 million homes each Sunday, according to Nielsen Media Research.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:53   Link #3648
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Ingredient for life found in comet dust
Quote:
Greenbelt, Maryland (Aug 18): Showing that the ingredients for life in the universe may be distributed far more widely than previously thought, scientists have found traces of a key building block of biology in dust snatched from the tail of a comet.

Scientists at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, have uncovered glycine, the simplest amino acid and a vital compound necessary for life, in a sample from the comet Wild 2. The sample was captured by Nasa's Stardust spacecraft, which dropped it into the Utah desert in 2006.

"By detecting glycine, we now know that comets could have delivered amino acids to the early Earth, contributing to the ingredients that life originated from," said Dr Jamie Elsila, a research scientist at Goddard and co-author of a paper outlining the discovery in the journal Meteoritics and Planetary Science.

The idea that the ingredients for life were delivered to Earth from space, rather than developing out of Earth's original chemical soup, has been around for years. Amino acids previously have been discovered in meteorites, but this is the first time an amino acid has turned up in comet material.

"This is yet another piece of evidence that the ingredients for life are ubiquitous. These building blocks of life are everywhere," said Dr Carl Pilcher, director of Nasa's Astrobiology Institute, which helped fund the research. Dr Pilcher said the discovery strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common, rather than rare.

- THE LOS ANGELES TIMES
Old 2009-08-19, 23:16   Link #3649
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
I don't get it.

How is glycine an ingredient for life? What does it mean by "ingredient for life"?

Isn't it used as collagen of some sort?
Old 2009-08-19, 23:59   Link #3650
Thingle
Banned

Quote:

"7 day-ers"....
take that!
Old 2009-08-20, 04:56   Link #3651
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I don't get it.

How is glycine an ingredient for life? What does it mean by "ingredient for life"?

Isn't it used as collagen of some sort?
Glycine is one of the 20 amino acids found in protein, in part of a genetic sequence which makes up us.

If I am not wrong, it is due to the RCH in the NH2-RCH-COOH configuration which defines the amino acid that makes such a sequence possible due to condensation reaction (often done in the presence of sulphuric acid, phosphoric acid or aluminium oxide). I suspect it to be the comet heating up when travelling at high speeds when coming close to atmospheres, as aluminium oxide is common on comets, thus culminating in the reaction of peptide bonds and giving birth to protein chains.

Besides Glycine has got a simple structure, so I supposed it is probably made from the ice (hydrogen and oxygen) and dust (carbon). Nitrogen is a very abundant element, so it probably got stuck onto the comet from somewhere. In short, the glycine found could just be part of a chance reaction that occured on random.

Can someone good in statistics calculate the chance of forming such an organic substance taking into account Le Chatelier's Principle?

P.S I failed Chemistry when taking my 'A's. PLEASE doublecheck and inform me if there are any mistakes because I am explaining everything from my rusting memory.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-20, 05:22   Link #3652
Saleh
Inactive

Voting under way in Afghanistan, militants stage attack in Kabul

Spoiler for space:

Jackson’s doctor Conrad Murray to be charged with manslaughter

Spoiler for space:

DPJ to shed light on secret pacts

Spoiler for space:
Old 2009-08-20, 09:17   Link #3653
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Coca-Cola and Pepsi are on Beijing's worst polluters list

Seriously? Are they dumping raw sewage, untreated water and etc. into the sewer system or something?
In a police state, and considering there was a furor over lead poisoning from a factory, no surprises for me about these accusations.
Old 2009-08-20, 09:48   Link #3654
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
I do not think it will damage Japan-US ties in any way but serves more of the purpose to strengthen it. After all, how can Japan-US ties be good if both the Japanese government and the United States are denying the existence of such secret pacts when in fact a high-level American former official had already admitted it?

However.. If the secrets are to be revealed, there is no doubt that it will come out as a shock and the approval rate of the opposition party after August 30th will drop more than it already did.
Old 2009-08-20, 10:58   Link #3655
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
In a police state, and considering there was a furor over lead poisoning from a factory, no surprises for me about these accusations.
Keep in mind that the Chinese factories are run by CHINESE management. The US HQs just rake in their profits.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-20, 13:29   Link #3656
Shadow Kira01

Scientists develop high-yield deep water rice

Quote:
A team of Japanese scientists has discovered genes that enable rice to survive high water, providing hope for better rice production in lowland areas that are affected by flooding.
Old 2009-08-20, 13:35   Link #3657
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
New York (Aug 20): The first-ever video advertisement will be published in a traditional paper magazine next month.

The video-in-print ads will appear in select copies of the United States show business title Entertainment Weekly. The slim-line screens — around the size of a mobile phone display — also have rechargeable batteries.

The chip technology used to store the video — described as similar to that used in singing greeting cards — is activated when the page is turned. Each chip can hold up to 40 minutes of video.

The first clips will preview programmes from US TV network CBS and show adverts by the drinks company Pepsi. They will appear in Sept 18 editions of the magazine distributed in Los Angeles and New York.

- BBC NEWS
Old 2009-08-20, 13:47   Link #3658
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Glycine is one of the 20 amino acids found in protein, in part of a genetic sequence which makes up us
Besides Glycine has got a simple structure, so I supposed it is probably made from the ice (hydrogen and oxygen) and dust (carbon). Nitrogen is a very abundant element, so it probably got stuck onto the comet from somewhere. In short, the glycine found could just be part of a chance reaction that occured on random.
Bingo. It's often been debated about how life formed, and one of the fundamental questions was where things came from. After all, you don't just see things popping out of thin air just because the chemical elements all happen to be together, right? An original experiment that was performed many years ago attempted to simulate what early Earth was thought of - electricity, heating, and some of the elemental compounds that were believed to be around (nitrogen, sulfur, etc.). Within that system alone, I believe nucleic acids (the structures that make up DNA and RNA, but not proteins) were formed. Those are the "building blocks of life." If I remember it right, it was sort of assumed that the rest could have gone from there, and more could have formed under those conditions.

Amino acids make up proteins, but not genetic material as we know it. The fact that it's been found outside of Earth is exciting for two reasons. First, with regard to us, it shows that life as we know it may not have formed purely with what was available on the Earth itself, but perhaps with a boost from something that developed somewhere else in space. Second, if amino acids were generated somewhere other than Earth, it indicates that life may exist elsewhere in the universe.
Old 2009-08-20, 13:55   Link #3659
iLney

Quote:
Delightful news indeed
Old 2009-08-20, 14:04   Link #3660
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post