AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-30, 10:56   Link #81
krln99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
In the case of the Virtual Boy though Gunpei wasn't directly at fault. It's a great machine, and was/is far ahead of its time. It was the lack of support Nintendo had when it came to pushing the product that resulted in its failure, the biggest of which was very limited party support (only 22 games total were ever produced), poor advertising (saying it was portable when it actually wasn't), and with the Nintendo 64 right around the corner the company had more important things to worry about. All they really cared about was having a product out to steal the light from the Playstation, since the Super NES/Famicom was on its way out and the Nintendo 64 was facing more delays.

In short, it was dead on arrival. Gunpei took the fall, however his legacy is the huge portable market that kept Nintendo alive when Sony rose to power and dominated.

It's a good Wikipedia read on the summation of the life and death of the Virtual Boy.

Personally I think the only problem with Lucky Star is that it's a victim of hype. Expectations ran high, it didn't deliver for those people, and thus there's a backlash from those who want it to be something it's not.

Dunno how the heck we got off on the virtual boy, but if you notice the shape of the controller, it's pretty much the progenitor of the Wavebird controller (for the GC), and even though they're not analog, the dual control sticks have pretty much become the industry standard (until the Wii changed that completely).
Old 2007-04-30, 12:21   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think many people keep forgetting that the series is based on source material that has at least 3 volumes to work with. A new director might change a bit of style or emphasis... but unless they deviate from the source material substantially -- the director's main job is just to organize, adapt, and reflect the 4-koma events. KyoAni has shown very little history of "taking stories in new directions (blahblahblah)". The series was almost certainly storyboarded from start to finish but given its "comedy sketch" format - it'd be easy enough for them to move modules around or drop/add a few pieces based on what appeals.

Things to watch for: gag sketch transitions and if they change... how the "original content" Lucky Channel evolves... we should expect the focus of the story gags to shift a bit simply because we should start seeing the teacher, policeofficer, and Kona-dad gags start to appear in a few episodes.

I keep comparing the structural and thematic format of this show to the old Peanuts classics (which were also stitched together sketches of the comic material to a large extent).
Old 2007-04-30, 13:10   Link #83
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

I wouldn't be surprised even with the change in directors that the essence of the show will remain the same. Too much drama/bitchin' over nothing. I don't know how a mellow yonkoma series becomes so hotly debated. Please calm down.
Old 2007-04-30, 13:26   Link #84
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I agree that the show will probably not change much, if at all. It gives us the comic very well. I'm hoping Yamamoto will continue to direct episodes and do storyboards. As for "drama over nothing," give me a break: it's not every day that a director is sacked. It deserves a lot of analysis. My take is that it has little or nothing to do with the artistic side of the show, but is mainly because of the administrative stuff. We'll see.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-30, 13:49   Link #85
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for "drama over nothing," give me a break: it's not every day that a director is sacked. It deserves a lot of analysis. My take is that it has little or nothing to do with the artistic side of the show, but is mainly because of the administrative stuff. We'll see.
That's what I said, and I agree with you. Heck, I'm not even sure if Lucky Star even has a "series director" (unless I missed that little fact somehow.) It might be just a change in "episode director" much like all the other KyoAni series to date. I mean, Suzumiya Haruhi has 9 episode directors, NINE!

In essence, it can still be Yutaka Yamamoto's series, but with different directors all throughout 24 episodes.
Old 2007-04-30, 13:51   Link #86
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In looking at some of the screencaps of the episodes, this episode looks like its shaping up to be a really solid one. I'm actually anticipating this episode quite a bit more than the other ones.

Plus if anything it's probably going to give me a nosebleed or have me gasping for breath, with all the loli looking girls in summer clothing and pajama's. Dirty Tricksters at Kyoto Animation are trying to strike at my weak points...grrrrr. To bad they still aren't getting any money from me. Ahahahahahaha..... *Homesar Runs away to watch more Daily Show* *PShoooooo!*
Old 2007-04-30, 14:02   Link #87
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think many people keep forgetting that the series is based on source material that has at least 3 volumes to work with.
4 volumes plus other strips that haven't made it to a book yet.
KyoAni has pulled the strips all over the place.

eg the Crane Game one in EP02 was from Vol 4 and some in this EP aren't found in book format yet.

It's interesting seeing how KyoAni is mixing it up like that and all the added material they're throwing in.

As for the episode itself,
the sudden appearance of the 元気玉, Crayon Shin-chan, the Some-day-in-the-Rain EP 2ch flame, Konata's savior who coined the phase 貧乳はスータスだ poster, more confirmation that Kagami is a closet otaku (ヤマト, ボンタ君, To Heart, Haruhi)... and Tsukasa's pure innocence ヨグルトですか? のど・はな風邪

I like how they changed the excuse segment and how Nanako knew the reference as well. LOL ugu~

Anywho, in Kona-chan terms, Yui-chan entrance flag was been set.
Now for more my-pace characters ^^

Personal wish for future episodes.
To animate Konata taking Kagami to the "festival"
Old 2007-04-30, 14:08   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You fail to properly document your receipts!!!! Where are your outsourcing contracts!!

(yes, sometimes creative people take a hit because that mundane "must be done" stuff got ignored)

edit: gah... even more anxious to see ep 4 now.... and the festival would be a great thing to see animated.
Old 2007-04-30, 14:18   Link #89
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I think you are missing the point in what I'm trying to say with that post.
I got what you were saying
Old 2007-04-30, 15:14   Link #90
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
Spoiler for book reference:
the original book
Old 2007-05-01, 06:45   Link #91
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Poster drawn by Mitsumi Misato circa 2002.
Old 2007-05-01, 12:30   Link #92
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

^Am I the only one who is a little disturbed by the fact that Konata has posters of adult games girls in her room?

(I think I saw one of Mayumi from Shuffle too)
Old 2007-05-01, 12:40   Link #93
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
^Am I the only one who is a little disturbed by the fact that Konata has posters of adult games girls in her room?

she has a hidden yuri side to her you know :3

and that was a nice catch MakubeX2 O.o ~ (just wishes ep 4 to be subbed soon >.<)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-01, 12:49   Link #94
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I the only one who is a little disturbed by the fact that Konata has posters of adult games girls in her room?
Well, it does need to be shown that Konata is a true Otaku..
Old 2007-05-01, 13:43   Link #95
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

2channel, in the 52nd thread on LS (i.e., now over 51,000 posts) is having a long discussion about which browser Konata is using to access 2channel in episode 4. One person said she was just using IE, which puts a greater load on the 2channel servers than using one of the many specialized 2channel browsers, so she was not a true otaku. But people have demonstrated with screencaps that she is using one of the browsers. The hotly debated question is which one.

Screencaps of Konata on 2channel and of a couple of the 2channel browsers:

Personally, I use 2ch Tsubo on top of Firefox, so that I can use the rikaichan dictionary. Does anyone know if there are other browsers that would work with Firefox that way?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-01, 13:43   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Kona is who she is, yo
Old 2007-05-01, 14:09   Link #97
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Ahh....can't.find.this.ep ><''

(starts searching again)
Old 2007-05-01, 14:51   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's because it hasn't been released by any of the fansub groups yet (look for LC in the next day or two if they're being consistent).

Its only available in raw at the moment....
Old 2007-05-01, 15:19   Link #99
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

[

OMG! I think I saw a Nanoha figure on her PC!!
Old 2007-05-01, 17:43   Link #100
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
OMG! I think I saw a Nanoha figure on her PC!!
Those are indistinguishable vaguely humanoid (but still kind of blobby) looking shapes. How can you be so certain of this?

Have you been drinking by any chance?

Anyway now I know why 2chan is so messed up, it's occupied by tiny little girls who have ceased being able to tell the difference between Games and Reality. Again we have an ambiguous scenario where this can be interpeted as either being in support of Otakuism (Kona visits your favourite websites), or a scathing critique of it (She's kind of loopy, what does that say about the regulars).

Lucky Star continues to amuse me with its impressive ability to unite factions of anime fans for a collective roasting rather than divide them (My own personal little "I Have A Dream" concerning the future of anime that is working out beyond my wildest imagination), by providing no one clear punchline to its jokes.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-01 at 17:53.
Closed Thread