AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-06, 07:01   Link #221
AnimePhantom
The Phantom of Anime

So far I am really enjoying Gurren Lagann and am currently watching the series as a new fan to it. I will vote on a rating for this series once I am fully complete with it, but so far it has been a fun ride to say the least.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:09   Link #222
qwertyuiopz

this show gets an EPIC 10
love the character development especially
Old 2009-08-11, 09:36   Link #223
Kanish

Story's good. Character development is absolutely brilliant. An epic feel to it. Definitely 10 out of 10.
Old 2009-08-11, 10:19   Link #224
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It is not a series to be taken seriously as it is actually about willpower and NOT about evolving to a better state (I doubt the form of war remains the same if you are a small guy throwing rocks or an ultra huge beast throwing galaxies). Otherwise it is indeed over the top enjoyable. I still give it no more than 7 for being over the top sillyat the same time.
Old 2009-08-15, 01:59   Link #225
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
It is not a series to be taken seriously as it is actually about willpower and NOT about evolving to a better state (I doubt the form of war remains the same if you are a small guy throwing rocks or an ultra huge beast throwing galaxies). Otherwise it is indeed over the top enjoyable. I still give it no more than 7 for being over the top sillyat the same time.
You missed the point by a mile.
Old 2009-08-16, 03:16   Link #226
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
You missed the point by a mile.
I do think there are different things to take home for this series, depending on the mindsets of the people that watch this. If that's what he takes home, why not?
Old 2009-08-16, 04:43   Link #227
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Yeah, why not? Share your thoughts and lets compare.
Old 2009-08-16, 04:46   Link #228
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Gotta give it a 10. Admittedly, this is my first super robot series, and I think I just pidgeon-holed myself. I don't think I've ever seen a series that started so humbly, and built up to a finale that you would never, EVER see coming for the first half of the series. Seriously, I never imagined that Gurren cramming Lagann onto the top of it's head would lead to a Gurren Lagann large enough to stand on the arms of a galaxy while fighting something equally huge. It just blew me away.

One complaint I do have though is that I think some of the later stages of Gurren Lagann, like Arc and Super Galaxy really didn't get as much screen time as I would've liked. Super Galaxy in particular only seemed to have one or two fights before the finale, and it kinda disappinted me that two awesome mechs would be brushed aside so quickly. That being said, it is a very minor complaint.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Old 2009-08-22, 13:04   Link #229
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Yeah, why not? Share your thoughts and lets compare.
Art interpretation is always kinda tricky, so it's not like we have to agree.

On the surface, it's a show about kicking ass and willpower.

On a slightly deeper level, it's about how we improve because of the influence of others and the trials we go through. Simon wouldn't have gone anywhere without the likes of Kamina, Nya, Kittan and the rest of the brigade. They all contributed to his growth and his accomplishments.

But at the heart of the show lies parenthood. Kamina is that way because of his father, the first man to walk the surface in a long time. In turn Kamina becomes Simon's familly, showering his little brother with affection and encouragement. He even admits that he's fighting the anti-spiral so that the likes of Simon, Gimmy and Darry get to grow in a better world.

The theme of parenthood is why the Spiral king is a dysfunctional father, why Yoko became a teacher and why Brigade members had kids post timeskip. Heck we see Kittan put himself between a Mugan and a truckload of babies and the whole crisis starts with a birth.

Even Viral's dearest dream is to be a father.

And that's why the series end the way it does, with Simon watching humanity surpassing him with a satisfied smile, knowing that he's suceeded in giving humanity a future. Happy to be forgotten while helping out a little kid with a drill...
Old 2009-09-15, 15:20   Link #230
Analyse_this

Okay, i'm not really a great critic, not so good with words, but I rated 7/10
Really liked the first serie, but Kamina should never have died, and come on, an ocean in space? I know anime is wierd, but this was totaly misplaced if you ask me. The end was a little bit vague, and did not have the cool adventurous feeling the first serie gave me.

Oh, +1 for Yoko, she was hot XD
Old 2009-09-16, 23:48   Link #231
BashZeStampeedo

Excuse my huge post, but I just have to thank the team behind Gurren Lagann for doing me a favor. In 27 episodes, I have re-experienced a great deal of my favorite childhood moments. It has moved me in a way I haven't been moved for a very, very long time. For someone who's seen many of the highs and lows of anime/cartoons that's a very tall order to fulfill.

Gurren Lagann knows what it is and doesn't deviate much from it's intent. It's an awfully childish indulgence, but one that you shouldn't pass up. If you aren't completely repulsed by mecha, and still have some ability to be a kid again, then do so for that kid's sake. Don't compare this to Evangelion, don't expect it to be better than Scryed or worse than Full Metal Panic.. just let it do it's thing and entertain you.

Let yourself indulge, "kick reason to the curb" and tell your adult self to shut up for a while. Be that little kid again who anxiously awaited next week's episode of your favorite anime or cartoon. The kid in you will be happy, sad, angry, anxious and thrilled (often all in the same episode). The adult in you might also smile a little, even if it's to see how far you've come since you were a kid.

Truth be told, almost everything conspires against Gurren Lagann. It has some blaise early episodes and way too much "stuff" is going on (too many characters, too much story at once, etc etc). It also has some slightly excessive eccentricities that can border on the distasteful for people who are too sensitive to excessive fanservice (ie, onsen episodes) or the occasional trophic homophobic reaction. But who really cares when you are having this much fun? I'm willing to forgive a series it's few low points when there so many highs.

Production-wise, everything is where it needs to be. Everything seems engineered for maximum emotional impact. The music is cued and suits the mood incredibly well so that it helps pull at your heartstrings. The visuals and "artistic flare" are very high done where they need to be. The plot was so so insanely arrogant and stupid that it collapsed under it's own ambition to form a singularity of win and awesome.

The characters are purposely one-dimensional, yet feel more three-dimensional than they probably deserve. Perhaps that's because they because they are intended to epitomize heartwarming stereotypes, not transcend them. If you give them a chance to do what they are designed to do, you might actually start to care about them and what they represent.

But what gets me the most is that while the kid in me was greatly entertained throughout, the adult in me actually cried during the last episode when Simon realized what his victory would cost him. I also almost cried a second time in the ending teaser when you see the aged version of Simon gracefully accept that his role is over.

After the rollercoaster ride, Gurren Lagann still had the decency to bring me back to reality with a suitably epic ending. It had the tact to end up more than a mere kid's show, and not make me feel like I had wasted 27 episodes of time just for a cheap thrill. Frankly I appreciate that, even if many other people don't seem to like an ending that doesn't cheapen the "values" the show was constantly rubbing in your face.

Overall, watching Gurren Lagann for the first time I realized how much I genuinely miss well-done cheeseball action stories. You are completely missing the point if aren't watching this like a kid hungrily waiting for the next week's episode of their favorite childhood show.

For being able to entertain both the child and adult in me, and satisfy both of them, I cannot give this show anything less than a 9/10. The kid in me wants to give it a 10, the adult in me wants to give it a 7, and I think I'll let the kid win for a change
Old 2009-09-18, 11:45   Link #232
wing 00

great show
Old 2009-09-18, 12:54   Link #233
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo
Overall, watching Gurren Lagann for the first time I realized how much I genuinely miss well-done cheeseball action stories. You are completely missing the point if aren't watching this like a kid hungrily waiting for the next week's episode of their favorite childhood show.

For being able to entertain both the child and adult in me, and satisfy both of them, I cannot give this show anything less than a 9/10. The kid in me wants to give it a 10, the adult in me wants to give it a 7, and I think I'll let the kid win for a change
This has to be the most perfect sumup of why Gurren Lagaan is so damn awesome! Great write-up, man! *salutes*
Old 2009-09-19, 16:01   Link #234
Vegard Aune

This show can be quickly summarised like this;
Nothing in it makes any sense whatsoever, but WHO GIVES A DAMN?! THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!

I thought the show started out pretty entertaining, except for a couple of episodes which left me feeling a bit underwhelmed, but after episode 8, it pretty much just got more and more awesome with each episode, and the last couple of episodes are some of the most epic things I've ever seen, with the final battle between Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the Anti-Spiral probably being the most epic. Admittedly, one could write a book about all the plot-holes in the final battle, (even going by the series' own logic, I don't see how two galaxy-sized mechas didn't trigger Spiral Nemesis) but it was so mind-blowingly AWESOME that I can easily forgive them for that.

So, because the fight-scenes were so insanely cool, and everything else ranges from "good" to "excellent", I give this series a 10/10 as well as the number 2-spot in my top 10-list. Because there is nothing more badass than a 10 million light-years tall mecha throwing galaxies like ninja-stars at another 10 million light-years tall mecha.
Old 2009-09-21, 23:36   Link #235
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction

Not the best, but certainly not the worst

Ah, Gurren Lagann... As fun of an anime as it was, I kinda have a love/hate relation ship with it.

I loved how creative the robots and stylized they were. I loved the characters of Simon and Nia and how their characters developed. Viral was an awesome character as well, even more bad*** than Kamina (Awaits to be pelted by bricks or another painful object.) Heck some of the "Over the top moments really kept me on the edge of my seat.
And the art.. My god, I love the edginess of it. the animation was very nice throughout... well except for episode four. Whether or not it was meant to look like that or it it was a budget cuts. It really bugged me that it looked like half the characters where chewing on something while talking.

However, there were some things that bugged me. Pleas don't bash me for saying this, because this is my opinion. (I probably am, since the internet is a very unfriendly place. XD) But I really hated Kamina... Yea, yea I know, flame away. You wont be able to change my mind. I thought his speeches were kinda cliche and not very inspiring IMO. Some people would say how insparational and epic he was. Unfortunately, I saw them as cliche blabing about the power of courage, will and manly maness. I also didn't like his personality, he was rude, sometimes ignorant, and had a very barbaric and sometimes Anti-heroish attitude. I was still surprised by the sudden plot twist involving him, but I didn't cry. Though I admit, I liked how he really cared for Simon like a caring reletive. (Kamina hit his "brother to snap him out of his panic attack and then telling him that he needed to belive in himself. Though if anyone ever did that to me, even if they were trying to help me, I'd still be pretty pissed, though that's another story.)

The Innuendos, in my opinion, were not very funny. Call me gay, call me an idiotic religious buff, call me whatever you want but I'm personally not a big fan of fanservice. I dunno, it's just not my cup of tea. I personally don't find the innuendos of the blatantly gay Leeron, or the mole who loves to rest inside Yoko's jiggly breasts many times throughout the show to be that funny. I personally like it better when it's not too blatant.

Even though I praised the show for being over the top, I'm kinda mad at the creators for creating the Ultimate robot, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann..." The "getting so big you could stand and throw galaxies" was just a little too silly even for me! Beacause a lot of people overuse the word epic or GAR to describe this show, i'm starting to dislike those phrases with a passion.

Still, despite these short comings, and a fan base I do not want to get into and wont count down for the final grade, It was a very fun show, and I did enjoy it, despite the slight rant that appeared...

I give it 7/10

Last edited by Mayhem The Great; 2009-12-06 at 19:47.
Old 2009-11-18, 01:44   Link #236
Tyss
Amateur Manga Artist

GAR!!

that's all i can say
Old 2010-01-17, 23:54   Link #237
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
But what gets me the most is that while the kid in me was greatly entertained throughout, the adult in me actually cried during the last episode when Simon realized what his victory would cost him. I also almost cried a second time in the ending teaser when you see the aged version of Simon gracefully accept that his role is over.

After the rollercoaster ride, Gurren Lagann still had the decency to bring me back to reality with a suitably epic ending. It had the tact to end up more than a mere kid's show, and not make me feel like I had wasted 27 episodes of time just for a cheap thrill. Frankly I appreciate that, even if many other people don't seem to like an ending that doesn't cheapen the "values" the show was constantly rubbing in your face.
This was a very nice post on the series, and the poignant ending was really what made the series transcend for me its cliched (but well-executed) action-orientated "plot." Anime that attempts to be "serious" sometimes irritates me, because it can so badly miss the right emotional registers--for me, the great irony is that a series that so openly embraced a sort-of frenetic adolescent male view of the world ended up dealing with the question of coping with loss (an inevitable part of life) and "growing up" so well. It recognized the poignant parts of life, while still retaining a fundamental core of hopefulness and contentment.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:50   Link #238
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

I really liked this series. As a whole, it progressed at a good pace. Simon was a timid boy at the start of the series, and seeing his character grow was interesting and full of good and bad times.

Animation
I don't think the animation was the best, but hell, it doesn't matter. I can watch several shows and enjoy them, without being really glossy. Well done anyway.

Characters
At the beginning of the show, I thought the characters were a tad bit exaggerated, but they grew on me. Kamina was definately a BAMF with his memorable quotes. It was really after the 7 year time skip that I really began to analyze other characters besides Simon and Kamina. Most the others seemed unimportant, and didn't play a big role in episodes 1-15. The Gurren Brigade as a whole were epic. Simon turned into a damn badass(GAR!) Half of them dying made me really appreciate them as well. Kittan probably the most.

Music
I thought they executed the music throughout the show perfectly. Although, playing Liberia Me From Hell so much was questionable, not that I didn't like it.

Overall
A show definitely worth watching, and truly epic indeed. Nothing short than amazing. The ending when Nia died was sad and bittersweet, but Simon moved on. I won't forget the image of him walking off into the sunset. I actually would of preferred that to be the end, rather than the crappy epilogue. Really, after all the shit you've done and been through, become a wanderer? Doesn't work for me.

Overall, I would rate the series a 10/10, but let's think about this, and kick reason to the curb. 11/10. Probably the best anime I've seen in years.

Who the hell do you think we are?

Last edited by darkdarkdark; 2010-04-06 at 19:28.
Old 2010-03-10, 07:31   Link #239
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Nothing like naked fighting to get the testosterone going lol.... Gurren Lagann delivered a lot more than I expected and that in itself is a good thing

Ohh yeah and I can't go without first saying how dam GAR this series was and how dam HOT Yoko was......OMG Yoko!!!!!

Last edited by CuXe; 2010-03-10 at 07:55.
Old 2010-03-10, 19:54   Link #240
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
Nothing like naked fighting to get the testosterone going lol.... Gurren Lagann delivered a lot more than I expected and that in itself is a good thing

Ohh yeah and I can't go without first saying how dam GAR this series was and how dam HOT Yoko was......OMG Yoko!!!!!
Yep. My Favorite anime so far. It was just so bad ass, it sits on my number 1.