AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-08-10, 10:39   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece "Haki" Thread [Manga]

In recent storylines, we've learned of a powerful ability called "Haki" (which has also been translated as "ambition" or "spirit") which was demonstrated by Red-Haired Shanks when meeting with Whitebeard (he actually first uses it in the very first chapter against a Sea King, but we didn't get any actual explanation of it until much later, so I guess you could say that his display on Whitebeard's ship was the first "official" demonstration of Haki) . In the current manga storyline, we have signs of Haki awakening in Luffy, when he knocked out Duval's bull without actually doing anything. Not long afterwards we're introduced to the Pirate King's first mate, Silvers Rayleigh, who has full mastery of the ability (and was most likely the one who taught it to Shanks in the first place). It's my view that Haki may be one of the most important abilities in the series, and may even be the key to beating opponents with Logia powers without exploiting their weaknesses through a gimmick (though I actually do enjoy the gimmicks, myself ).

I think that Rayleigh will teach Luffy a little something about Haki before the crew leaves the Sabaody islands, which will result in a new power-up for Luffy in the future (Gear 4?). I also believe that Zoro knows Haki to an extent as well, though not the same type that we've seen from Shanks or Rayleigh. His "Haki" seems to be more "demonic", to the point that it's visible to people (like with his Asura technique). It may even be possible that Haki is what Zoro needs to hear "the breath of all things". Indeed, Haki may be capable of all sorts of miracles in the future....

So, what are your views on this mysterious power? Discuss!

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-08-10 at 11:51.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 11:20   Link #2
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

First, just want to point out that the first time Haki was demostrated was when Shanks saved Luffy in a flash back from a Sea King.

For me, it is evident that it must be some way to defeat Logia users without resorting to their natural weakness, how could Shanks and Whitebeard otherwise have held their position for so long?

Now, I think (and hope) that Haki is very exclusivly, and that not every high ranked none Logia user has it. We have seen Zoro developing something, when he has his encounter against Mr. 1 and he has his experience on the brink of death he was able to "the breath of things", and also Asura. I don't think that is a sort of Haki, Haki seems to affect your opponent, via strengthen his fear or blowing him out cold, which differs from Zoro's spirit. Zoro's spirit seems to affect himself.

That may of course just be another "version" or "side" of Haki.

Regarding using it versus Logia users (both Zoro's and Shanks spirit) I don't think it will present an easy win just because you are able to hit them, you saw how long Enel struggled against Luffy and his body was very weak. It will just bring down these invincible Logia users a notch where they can be defeated if you are stronger than them.

On the topic of Luffy's power up, I don't think he will gain additional gears since he destroys his body little by little when he uses the gears. Tha may present an ending of course if he continue using gears, he dies after winning the final battle at Raftel because he has over strained his body with using his gears.
Wisshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 11:45   Link #3
marvelB

Actually, I was already aware of Shanks using it on the Sea King... but I just meant that we had the first "official" demonstration of the power when he met Whitebeard (I'll rephrase my first post to reflect this). And I never said that Haki would make fighting Logias easier... after all, Luffy would still have a rough time against someone like Aokiji since he can instantly freeze Luffy regardless of weakness. Let's just say that Haki would somewhat "even the odds" against Logias....

As for a possible Gear 4.... it doesn't necessarily have to involve Luffy manipulating his body in a new way. It could even be the case that Gear 4 would be the same as Gears 2 and 3, but with Haki-powered attacks. But whatever crazy new power-up Luffy gets, it shouldn't be too long before it's revealed....
Old 2008-08-10, 12:54   Link #4
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I am beginning to think that "Haki" may even be the pivotal factor as to how to defeat Doflamingo in a fight. I have tried to conjure up a possible weakness for this villain but he seems to be practically invincible in a one on one fight considering that he can just stay back and control his opponent rendering them absolutely helpless and at his mercy. Since "Haki" can be described as the expulsion of one's strong will or ambition, it can attack from quite a distance as we have seen and this would be a good way to contend with Doflamingo in long-range fights.
Old 2008-08-10, 14:00   Link #5
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And I never said that Haki would make fighting Logias easier...
Yeah true, I was more responding to some thoughts regarding Haki in the "Chapter 510 Manga" thread. Didn't mean to critize your post. I apologize if you took it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
am beginning to think that "Haki" may even be the pivotal factor as to how to defeat Doflamingo in a fight. I have tried to conjure up a possible weakness for this villain but he seems to be practically invincible in a one on one fight considering that he can just stay back and control his opponent rendering them absolutely helpless and at his mercy. Since "Haki" can be described as the expulsion of one's strong will or ambition, it can attack from quite a distance as we have seen and this would be a good way to contend with Doflamingo in long-range fights.
As of now we don't know much about Doflamingos power, it looks to be a Devil Fruit power and as you said he seems to be practically invincible in a one on one fight. But there is the possibility that you can resist his controll with your willpower, and Luffy has plenty of that. We don't even know if his controll powers is his primary fighting style, maybe it is like Mr. 2 Bon Kurei's Clone Clone fruit. So far we have only seen Doflamingos controll powers used on "weak" people, so we don't know if it's useable on someone with strong willpower, maybe he use something else when he is really fighting by himself.
Old 2008-08-10, 14:13   Link #6
Rainbowman

With how you guys explained this "Haki" technique, I'm guessing Nami will have to learn it in order to defeat Jimbei at Fishman Island. It would be much interesting to see Nami go against that fishman dictator.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 14:22   Link #7
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I dont know but the counter ability just making Haki look weak.I mean Law+Kidd adn even their crew didnt even feel the Haki.If Haki cant even overpower a supernova, then how in hell Luffy's gonna use it on an admiral/yonkou/shichibukai? Only possibility coming into my mind is that Rayleigh's Haki got tuned down of power for his advanced age and spreading the Haki into a large room filled with people instead of just 1 person...Maybe Luffy can be able to spirit burst higher enemies rather than just some supernovas with his age.
Old 2008-08-10, 14:47   Link #8
marvelB

I had the impression that Rayleigh didn't use the full extent of his Haki in the auction house... it looked like he concentrated a not-too-powerful burst on everybody but Luffy and co. Maybe if the Haki burst were stronger Law and Kidd's crews would have been KO'ed as well (remember how that one guy from Law's crew just barely withstood the attack?).

Also... I was wondering if Rayleigh's comment about Roger "hearing the voice of all things" was something that was Haki-related. Heck, it may even be connected to Zoro's hearing the "breath of all things", as well....
Old 2008-08-10, 14:52   Link #9
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
I dont know but the counter ability just making Haki look weak.I mean Law+Kidd adn even their crew didnt even feel the Haki.If Haki cant even overpower a supernova, then how in hell Luffy's gonna use it on an admiral/yonkou/shichibukai? Only possibility coming into my mind is that Rayleigh's Haki got tuned down of power for his advanced age and spreading the Haki into a large room filled with people instead of just 1 person...Maybe Luffy can be able to spirit burst higher enemies rather than just some supernovas with his age.
Well, maybe Rayleigh didn't use his full power? And I'm sure Haki has other areas of use other than knocking out people cold, otherwise we will have some boring battles with Luffy knocking out everyone as soon as the fight starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
With how you guys explained this "Haki" technique, I'm guessing Nami will have to learn it in order to defeat Jimbei at Fishman Island. It would be much interesting to see Nami go against that fishman dictator.
Why would Nami of all people fight Jeimbei?... She has never meet him before (atleast so far in the story line we have seen no hint about it). Sure, she was held by Arlong, who was part of Jimbei's crew, but when Arlong came to West Blue he had already left Jimbei. So far there has been no hint that Jimbei has had nothing whatsoever to do with Nami.
Old 2008-08-10, 14:58   Link #10
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also... I was wondering if Rayleigh's comment about Roger "hearing the voice of all things" was something that was Haki-related. Heck, it may even be connected to Zoro's hearing the "breath of all things", as well....
You have a good point there, maybe Gol D. Roger had "Zoro's Haki" but to a higher degree. I'm hoping for some more precise information about Gol D. Roger soon, so far we only know that he had a simulair personality to Luffy.
Old 2008-08-10, 18:03   Link #11
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisshard View Post
Well, maybe Rayleigh didn't use his full power? And I'm sure Haki has other areas of use other than knocking out people cold, otherwise we will have some boring battles with Luffy knocking out everyone as soon as the fight starts.

Why would Nami of all people fight Jeimbei?... She has never meet him before (at least so far in the story line we have seen no hint about it). Sure, she was held by Arlong, who was part of Jimbei's crew, but when Arlong came to West Blue he had already left Jimbei. So far there has been no hint that Jimbei has had nothing whatsoever to do with Nami.
Well I assumed that Nami knew the connection Jimbei had with Arlong. And I assumed Nami had blamed Jimbei for letting Arlong come to her hometown. Also I was thinking that if she defeated Jimbei her bounty would be increased by 100 million making her a 12th Supernova. Now this raise in bounty won't determine her strength but rather tell the World Government what a difference she could make.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 20:15   Link #12
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Well I assumed that Nami knew the connection Jimbei had with Arlong. And I assumed Nami had blamed Jimbei for letting Arlong come to her hometown.
Arlong left Jimbei on his own accord and then decided of his own will to go to West Blue. Atleast that was the impression I got, correct me if I'm wrong. If Nami blames Jimbei for "letting" Arlong come to her hometown, she could as well blame Mihawk, Shanks or any other person who could have stopped Arlong before coming to West Blue.

I mean no disrespect, maybe I'm missing something, it's just that if Nami wanted to be the one to face and defeat Jimbei one versus one on these grounds, it just feel very farfetched. It would be a total contradictory to what we have seen of her personality so far, she seems very happy to let the Monster Trio (especially Sanji) fight all the battles if possibly, also we have seen her blackmail Zoro, taking advantage of Luffy and Sanji just to fight for her interest. By the way, if Nami wants to face Jimbei herself because on that farfetched idea that he let Arlong come to West Blue, why didn't she want to face Arlong himself then? Nami is a coward, though not as much as Usopp (of course ) her main concern in any dangerous situation is herself, so why would she not let Luffy fight for her if she now want Jimbei beaten so badly.
Old 2008-08-10, 20:41   Link #13
The_Three_Kings

No actually, Arlong did not leave Jimbei of his own accord. Take Bellamy for example who was under Don Flamingo, they werent together but they were still part of the same crew. Since Don Flamingo and Jimbei are Shichibukai they cant be seen with pirates.
The_Three_Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 20:56   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
No actually, Arlong did not leave Jimbei of his own accord. Take Bellamy for example who was under Don Flamingo, they werent together but they were still part of the same crew. Since Don Flamingo and Jimbei are Shichibukai they cant be seen with pirates.
That could be wrong. The original assumption was (based on Jinbei, Crocodile, and Dofalmingo), that the Shichibukai had to give up their crews. But, then came Moria, who was allowed to have a crew. So, it is hard to say if Moria simply had different rules compared to the other Shichibukai, or if the previously mentioned Shichibukai simply gave up their crews for their own benefit. Added to that is the issue of Blackbeard. His crew is too specialized, not to mention that they have all been named, for Blackbeard to just give up.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 21:26   Link #15
The_Three_Kings

Im not saying they have to give up their crews. They're allowed to have crews. They just cant have PIRATE crews.
Old 2008-08-10, 21:30   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
Im not saying they have to give up their crews. They're allowed to have crews. They just cant have PIRATE crews.
They might not be called pirates, but they are still pirates. Moria's crew took down Marines just the same as pirates (he would have his crew attack anyone that stumbled upon his ship). The Shichibukai attack other pirates and are allowed to plunder their assets. These are Pirate activities (or are at least what Luffy and his crew have done in the past). They are Marine sanctioned pirates, but they are still pirates.
Old 2008-08-10, 21:37   Link #17
The_Three_Kings

I was just pointing out that perhaps Arlong did not leave of their own accord but I see your point. As long as the Shichibukai help maintain peace, the World Government could care less about what they do. I also doubt though that Nami would fight Jimbei. Maybe with other crew members but not by herself.
Old 2008-08-10, 21:55   Link #18
james0246

On that, I agree. I see no reason why Nami would have any problem with Jinbei...besides the fact that he is a Shichibukai .
Old 2008-08-10, 21:55   Link #19
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I guess it was something wrong translated about the shichi explanation of Johnny/Yosaku.Its up to crew of Shichibukai to being the dogs of World goverment or keep protecting their own honor code as pirates and leave the crew.
Arlong and his sidekicks probably foreseen that WG will never treat them as same as any human in their ranks.He choose to become a lesser pirate rather than working for humans since he is a total racist character.

Its funny that brand new Haki thread going shichibukai thou..and Im supporting it.Now back to haki you !

Edit: I thought that only D's had haki power at first but now considering that Shanks Leroux and Silvers Rayleigh dont even have a D in their names Its impossible.But so far all haki users we seen were all from the same ship (except Luffy) considering that Gold Roger made it to Raftel and acquired the lost history and One Piece.Its a possibility they might've got Haki from there? But then why Buggy didnt even have a little Haki power...Talking about it, it is revealed that Shanks and Buggy were at the execution that day.That means both Shanks and Buggy have experienced the new world %100 since the execution was just a day after Roger disbanded them.Shanks proved himself as being a yonkou successor of his former captain, but why did Buggy become such a clown gang leader after conquering grand line and witnessing such danger?

Last edited by Rawrz; 2008-08-10 at 22:09.
Rawrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 22:11   Link #20
marvelB

Well, since we're talking about Shichibukai, I think I'll paste what I said in the chapter 510 thread:

Quote:
In fact, I don't think it's far-fetched for Mihawk to be a Haki master, either. If this power actually can beat Logia users, then it would fit Mihawk very well, what with that rumor about him being able to "cut the elements"....

Plus, it would be kind of fitting for Mihawk to know Haki since he was a former rival of Shanks.