Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-08, 21:51   Link #1
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Computer to HD Flatscreen

Can I get a higher resolution going from my computers s-video to my tvs s-video, or will the resolution be the same as when I use a VGA cable in my tv?

Or can I go DVI-I out, using a DVI-I to VGA adapter and then to my tv to get a higher resolution?

The card is a nVidia GeForce 6200 LE if that matters.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 14:59   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the resolution is limited by the connection type that you use, but rather by the output itself (your TV) and the graphics card. If I had to guess, I'd say that the VGA/DVI-I route would yield the best results. S-Video was intended for television sets, as far as I can tell, and might not yield the best results for higher resolutions.

But in theory, it shouldn't matter.
Old 2007-05-09, 15:19   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

VGA or DVI is the best option. S-Video will not look good on digital TVs such as LCD flatscreens.

Btw, as Ledgem already mentioned: the resolution is determined by your TV. Unlike analog displays, LCD displays have a fixed number of pixels. You get the best picture quality if you match the native resolution of the TV. For example my LCD TV has a resolution of 1360x768. I can not get a better or sharper picture than that resolution, unless I buy a new TV.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 18:01   Link #4
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

s-video is 480i max
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 13:48   Link #5
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
VGA or DVI is the best option. S-Video will not look good on digital TVs such as LCD flatscreens.

Btw, as Ledgem already mentioned: the resolution is determined by your TV. Unlike analog displays, LCD displays have a fixed number of pixels. You get the best picture quality if you match the native resolution of the TV. For example my LCD TV has a resolution of 1360x768. I can not get a better or sharper picture than that resolution, unless I buy a new TV.
Ok, well that's roughly my resolution that I can get with my current video card that has 1600x1200 max. So if I want to get a higher resolution I'll have to get a video card with HD out and has a max res of 2000+x1000+. Thanks for the help.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 16:45   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If you want to see HDCP protected stuff you'll propably need a HDCP capable PC with Vista. That means you'll need a HDMI connector at your graphics card, and HDCP stuff on the motherboard, the soundcard, the graphics card and the HD-DVD/BluerayDisc device.
If it is not HDCP protected (or HDCP has been by-passed) DVI will work.
Old 2007-05-10, 21:32   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have the compliant hardware you list but are running some flavor of XP? I know that Vista enforces DRM in this situation and checks to see that every step of the way preserves the protected content,. XP doesn't know about this stuff, so what happens then? Does it simply refuse to the display the content at all or display it at a reduced resolution? I'm trying to understand why someone would choose to upgrade to Vista in this situation. I can only see doing that if XP won't play the protected content.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 00:35   Link #8
Mithinco
Laughing Anime

Do you have an HDMI connection on your tv? You can get a dvi to hdmi adapter and it'll look sharp. I got one for my friend and cousin; they really like it.
Mithinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 06:41   Link #9
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have the compliant hardware you list but are running some flavor of XP? I know that Vista enforces DRM in this situation and checks to see that every step of the way preserves the protected content,. XP doesn't know about this stuff, so what happens then? Does it simply refuse to the display the content at all or display it at a reduced resolution? I'm trying to understand why someone would choose to upgrade to Vista in this situation. I can only see doing that if XP won't play the protected content.
The problem of AACS and HDCP is, that it can revoke devices (or blacklist them). The operating system would be one of these devices. Unless the system has a valid device key, it won't get any protected high definition content media stream. Since XP would be the missing link in the chain protected high definition content media stream could not be passed through.
Afaik there exist already tools to override the blacklisting, by either altering the firmware of the devices or utilizing Windows' weak spots in DRM.
So the question should be asked differently... what happens if I do not use tools to bypass DRM (Vista only) and/or parts of the HDC-protection (Windows XP + Vista)?
And the answer is, devices forward either no media stream or a reduced quality version (depending on the device).