AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 18:16   Link #781
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
* (a platoon consist of 30 to 50 soldiers, and therefore is the correct nomenclature, not squad or battalion. The Japanese description is 第7小隊 and 小隊 = platoon)
Sure, the Japanese voiceovers all say "shoutai", but the English ones are all about the "squad" (which is what you effectively get to command - and why are those other people chilling in reserve anyway?), which to me makes both terms equally acceptable. I'm not sure why you're nitpicking about it. Trying to preserve the "purity" of the original?

There is a lot of room to develop, sure, but I feel that we actually know quite a bit about the various squad members, from who they like and dislike and why to what their personal background and personality is like. It would be preferable to shed those preconceptions in order to enjoy the anime fully, but that's hardly possible at this point. Still, nothing they do with Jann or Aisha is likely to make me look favorably on their inclusion in the anime
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:18   Link #782
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Spoiler for Answering Q's above about Karl:
An Interesting fact is that Karl has the same last name as Faldio though the game never says they're related. I wonder if the Anime will make up some kind of familial relationship between them.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:34   Link #783
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
An Interesting fact is that Karl has the same last name as Faldio though the game never says they're related. I wonder if the Anime will make up some kind of familial relationship between them.
Good call. I never thought of that.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:49   Link #784
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Sure, the Japanese voiceovers all say "shoutai", but the English ones are all about the "squad" (which is what you effectively get to command - and why are those other people chilling in reserve anyway?), which to me makes both terms equally acceptable. I'm not sure why you're nitpicking about it. Trying to preserve the "purity" of the original?
You mean aside from the fact that its a glaring misuse of military nomenclature, and tanks IRL are not assigned to squads, but platoons? Sure, VC might be a game (now also anime), but it nonetheless kept a rather clear military hierarchy in place despite the liberties it had taken.

It doesn't matter if squads are the ones you effectively command, they are still drawn from the organization you belong to as the player. Fact is, you are assigned 50+ members to the organization you are given full authority of, which is effectively platoon strength. That organization is known as the 7th platoon, nothing more, nothing less.

This has nothing to do with the purity of the original, but the correct use of military terms. Besides, if the Japanese original wanted to use 'squad', they would have used the correct term "分隊" (buntai).

I hope I am clear.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-12 at 19:27.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 22:35   Link #785
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手

Am I the only one who finds it kind of weird that of all the guns seen so far, none of them eject empty bullet shells after being shot with? If they're going to do a military anime, albeit based off a game, they could try to maintain at least some realism. At least their portrayal of the Stielhandgranate was detailed enough (though it baffles me why there would be a box full of them in a person's mansion...)

Never mind the fact that everyone has infinite ammo in the game
Yaluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 23:05   Link #786
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaluen View Post
(though it baffles me why there would be a box full of them in a person's mansion...)
Well, the average Swiss household gets an automatic assault rifle and 50 rounds of ammunition along with other weapons provided by the Swiss government, and Gallia is obviously modeled after the Swiss (with the militia system... etc), so the situation is not incomprehensible. Especially since the owner of the mansion was a general.

That, and it should baffle you even more due to the fact that he has a King Tiger in the garage

Quote:
In the game, the guns do spit empty shells, and soldiers actually reload

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-12, 23:14   Link #787
sb075

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds it kind of weird that of all the guns seen so far, none of them eject empty bullet shells after being shot with? If they're going to do a military anime, albeit based off a game, they could try to maintain at least some realism. At least their portrayal of the Stielhandgranate was detailed enough (though it baffles me why there would be a box full of them in a person's mansion...)

VC is a fantasy story rather than military one. If you expect the hard war plot and direction, you might be disappointed someday (pure military fans actually raged when they played the game because VC's Japanese title reminds them of the war plot they expect). Further the director said that he directs this series for the light audience to make them watch it.
sb075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 23:19   Link #788
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post
VC is a fantasy story rather than military one. If you expect the hard war plot and direction, you might be disappointed someday (pure military fans actually raged when they played the game because VC's Japanese title reminds them of the war plot they expect). Further the director said that he directs this series for the light audience to make them watch it.
Even in fantasy fiction there is relative realism. His comments should not be dismissed because he did note a glaring physical error with the rifles, while clearing being kinetic, gas-operated weapons, failed to eject empty shells when discharging a round. At least you see that in the game.

And while VC is fantasy, it is military (WWII) fantasy, and the game did take its military aspect somewhat seriously. If not, then perhaps the Edelweiss should not have been provided such a profound role.

- Tak (Although they are just slight imperfections I tend to overlook)

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-12 at 23:30.
Old 2009-04-13, 00:03   Link #789
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That, and it should baffle you even more due to the fact that he has a King Tiger in the garage
Daddy must have been pretty hardcore. Not only does he have a hot ride with hot babe driver , it can fill any offending driver with AP rounds and hot lead. It takes a discerning gentleman to have an advanced battletank for their sunday morning drive.

That, and have his children use it for a spin around town

Also, Alicia's voice is causing me despair. Somehow appropriate that Marina Inoue would use that one as a righteous gun totting girl in uniform.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 00:35   Link #790
Chrono Helix

Most of the game she's using her nice girl voice. I'm glad that doesn't seem it'll be the case for the anime.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 03:41   Link #791
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Things to learn from ep2. ALWAYS maintain your fighting vehicles.

For a small country smack between 2 larger powers and sitting on gold, I'd make it my no.1 priority to ensure the civil militia is properly armed/trained and each one having an MBT [main battle tank] in the garage
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 05:46   Link #792
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Most of the game she's using her nice girl voice. I'm glad that doesn't seem it'll be the case for the anime.
That she does, though i'm glad she's doing so much more with her character in this adaptation. She's one of my favorite seiyuu, and capable of so much (as shown in Skip Beat). I'm glad she's being allowed to do what she does best in this role.
Old 2009-04-13, 07:31   Link #793
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That she does, though i'm glad she's doing so much more with her character in this adaptation. She's one of my favorite seiyuu, and capable of so much (as shown in Skip Beat). I'm glad she's being allowed to do what she does best in this role.
I don't know if making her more violent and hyper is a good thing

She was likable enough in the game being the nice girl she was. It adds a bit into the whole mess given how Alicia was just an ordinary girl before being engulfed in war.

Now this Alicia from the anime just wants blood. Better or worse, I will keep my fingers crossed n' wait.

Then there is that sudden racism against the Darcsens in Gallia as if the Gallians were somehow surprised to see Darcsens now. Gallia in the game never imposed this kind of rampant discrimination against the Darcsens, and I had the impression that Gallia was far more accepting to these people. Not to mention Isara's father being a confident and friend to Welkin's father, indicating that Darcsens were able to do a lot more than just staying in a concentration camp. In any case, my good impression of Gallia was tarnished :sniff:

- Tak

Old 2009-04-13, 07:57   Link #794
Ottocycle

There's certainly got to be more people bearing that Darcsen hatred, else it would be hard for the viewer to believe that the history given in the start of ep1 is true. And therefore, there's bound to be people who are on the extremes of the hate spectrum. Unlike officially sanctioned hatred eg. concentration camps, there's no stopping these people and their prejudices.

What Isara's father working hand-in-hand with Welkin's only proves that the general is an individual above such racist drivel, and rightly so.

Damn, its hard writing spoiler-free.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 10:56   Link #795
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post
Pure military fans also will rage at everything that isn't 100% grim dark and filled with smoke

VC is fairly geared towards the hard war plot. With..many casualties and sacrifices

The ending however was a little too light hearted and predictable though

I think people just get too alarmed when they see a smiling face on the battlefield
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 11:00   Link #796
TrueKnight

VC is more geared towards fantasy because it falls to a huge amount of anime cliche.
Spoiler:

Yep, it's fantasy alright.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:40   Link #797
xizro345
King's Justice

You can't really look for realism in this. You're looking for a sense in something that doesn't have it, and all anime have this "problem". Internal logic and consistency are much more important.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:55   Link #798
TrueKnight

Nobody expected Valkyrie to be even realistic in the first place. The whole point was to discuss whether Valkyrie is more fantasy or military oriented. Like Starship Troopers when it had lots of bugs and sci-fi in it but definitely geared towards military.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:59   Link #799
xizro345
King's Justice

It's a "by the book" anime, and even the game was like that. People are looking too much into this, including the tanks discussion, IMO.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 15:12   Link #800
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
It's a "by the book" anime, and even the game was like that. People are looking too much into this, including the tanks discussion, IMO.
Eh? Can't agree with you there.

To me its military fantasy, pure & simple. Obviously, VC isn't real, but its at least geared towards relative realism. The game definitely had a hard war plot and strategic discussions in regards to military related subjects. Moreover, regardless of the inclusion of fantasy elements into the game, the time spent on military strategies and other military-related discussions clearly outweigh the discussions of the so-called fantastic elements within the setting. Not to mention, the times you actually get to see those super-natural elements in action as the player are actually very few and far in between.

Just ask yourself, how often do you spend time conquering missions plotting strategies with blood & steel compared to actually duke it out with super natural powers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
VC is more geared towards fantasy because it falls to a huge amount of anime cliche.
Spoiler:
While the game did include lost civilizations, it was not the game's primary focus.

Besides, its not like its something we don't do as human beings.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-13 at 15:26.

Tags
sega